• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former BioWare Emloyee Review of company sheds distuburing light on MEA's development

Zoggy

I'm surprised this stuff doesn't happen more often.

Dev teams for big games have 100s of staff. Anyone who's been in an office knows how big of a cluster fuck office work life is.

Symphonia

Banned
Taking my opinion of Andromeda out of the equation, this is really shitty news to hear about BioWare. I often held them high in regards to reputation. This, however, completely casts it in a new light. I will take the 'report' with a grain of salt though, and await further reports, or a comment from BioWare themselves.

I was unable to take lunch breaks for 3 years at my last job... Took a massive toll on me.

Unless you're manning nuclear missile silos no idea why anyone would put up with this. Pay must have been sacrilegiously good compared to what other companies were willing to pay you at the time to tolerate that shit for three fucking years. At least you're in a better place now though.

Not sure if you work in games but that industry needs to union the hell up, reading this shit just annoys me to no end. Fuck workers rights amirite.

RocknRola

So this was, in essence, what we usually call "development hell"? :S

Man, that sucks. Though it does seem to explain a lot of the shortcomings with the actual game. Such a shame :( One of my favourite series too.

Taker34

Banned
because one is a target render and the other actually runs on consoles. its the only thing the op manually inserted into the bullet point list.
I don't know why everyone's saying it's a target render when that was used in a devs portfolio. There was also a little gameplay clip attached to the end of the original clip I leaked last year and it very much fits the style of the comparison. While you can only see a brief moment of a character using a jet pack, the lighting already looked better than what we have on PC/console. It would be great if someone could do a comparison of that scene as well.

GlamFM

Banned

They get to tell them what to do.

I know shitting on EA is en vogue and you get 20 forum points every time you throw them under the bus, but in this specific case there is no indication that EA has anything to do with it.

This is about Bioware Montreal and Bioware Edmonton and how the studios are led by senior staff.

Easily detectable by reading the OP.

tsundoku

I don't know why everyone's saying it's a target render when that was used in a devs portfolio. There was also a little gameplay clip attached to the end of the original clip I leaked last year and it very much fits the style of the comparison. While you can only see a brief moment of a character using a jet pack, the lighting already looked better than what we have on PC/console. It would be great if someone could do a comparison of that scene as well.
Everyone's saying its a target render because thats what target renders look like. High quality lighting with real amounts of sources and shadows, and raw uncompressed high framerate mocap data for animations

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Not taking anything away from any suffering that went down at BioWare Montreal, but that write up sounds like most med-large sized corporate bodies I've worked in.

The Bro culture bit and HR not listening especially, I must be working at the wrong places, lol.

Slaythe

Everyone's saying its a target render because thats what target renders look like. High quality lighting with real amounts of sources and shadows, and raw uncompressed high framerate mocap data for animations

So ? We're in 2017. That target render wasn't out of the realm of what is being done now. We could tolerate worse lightning and effects, dynamic resolution even. The entire presentation of the characters we ended up with is unacceptable. Their target was great and not unattainable.

Nikodemos

Reading between the lines, seems to me like Montreal was skipping deadlines in a manner that considerably displeased EA, and they commanded Edmonton to go in hard and heavy. Edmonton started ordering people around and "pulling rank" around Montreal people, which led to animosity building up (and people leaving or fired after getting into arguments with Edmonton people).

Jumeira

Banned

Animation and movement was largely the same, and the acting was on par with the older games, this excuse doesnt seem logical. Also, if its a target that means little time has gone into making it, meaning look at what they achieved over a short period. No company invest more time into targets then the final scene as thats wasted resource (investing in something that will not be shipped). So the acting was possible last gen on older games and they should have had more time to achieve this then the actual target render. So, what happened? They seem to have the tech and the time. It just doesnt fit.

takriel

Reading between the lines, seems to me like Montreal was skipping deadlines in a manner that considerably displeased EA, and they commanded Edmonton to go in hard and heavy. Edmonton started ordering people around and "pulling rank" around Montreal people, which led to animosity building up (and people leaving or fired after getting into arguments with Edmonton people).

What? That seems like a really far-fetched conclusion based on the available information.

This would certainly explain a fair bit regarding Andromeda's less than stellar turn out but I get the feeling that this is simply capitalizing on the current narrative surrounding the game's lack of quality. Not that I am outright dismissing the report of course, the timing just seems very... convenient.
Prioritising banging over good writing.
Seems like every Bioware game since Mass Effect 2 has fallen victim to bro culture, then.

i feel like EA undergoes these swings from "worst company in gaming" to "actually pretty good right now". seems like we're on a downswing again.

Man, that looks like a video game from 2017, not a target render from 2016. Nothing about that leaked scene is impossible on modern consoles.

dr_rus

I know shitting on EA is en vogue and you get 20 forum points every time you throw them under the bus, but in this specific case there is no indication that EA has anything to do with it.

This is about Bioware Montreal and Bioware Edmonton and how the studios are led by senior staff.

Easily detectable by reading the OP.

Senior staff of Bioware studios is EA.

So many people taking an anonymous post at face value, without stopping to think whether:

A: It's total bullshit and he actually works at McDonald's (Probable)

B: Dude has an axe to grind (Just as probable)

Just automatically assuming that unsubstantiated posts from nameless, faceless people on the net are the gospel truth is just as problematic as the issues laid out.

TankRizzo

Banned
Not taking anything away from any suffering that went down at BioWare Montreal, but that write up sounds like most med-large sized corporate bodies I've worked in.

The Bro culture bit and HR not listening especially, I must be working at the wrong places, lol.

HR won't listen to you until you've fucked up and you're in the hot seat. And even then...

RulkezX

I honestly thought we were better than 10 pages of hyperbole over an anonymous post on glassdoor ( and an outlier at that)

Ethelwulf

Exactly the same thing happens in academia. Publishing high impact papers from one project usually has a frustrating, unfair, bureaucratic and painful background that consumers (public) will never see... Same applies for many other fields I guess.

Lime

DISCLAIMER: Things change during game development, marketing trailers are usually not representative of the final game, this comparison doesn't really mean anything:

cngsUt8
qn90eVQ

Ripenen

Then they should say that, instead of attempting to invoke the image of immature fratboys.

I've heard the term bro culture used quite a few times regarding game and tech companies. Typically it does mean immature fratboys in that you have an exclusive group of guys who are hostile toward new people and toward women, and who also are constantly trying to one-up one another to prove who is the alpha male. This is unfortunately a very common thing in business.

It also tends to generate an environment of competitiveness among teams in the same organization. That can be healthy to an extent but it's easy for it to get into the realm of sniping and infighting. That can tear companies apart but more often it just leads to an unhappy workplace full of people who aren't working efficiently and who are chasing short-term wins at the cost of the long-term health of the company. This inevitably leads to delays, low quality products, and disappointing (but typically not fatally poor) performance.

This is not something that's easy to fix because culture is mostly intangible. You can look at attrition rate of employees but that's easier to explain away than to pin directly on something as nebulous as "culture". Human Resources are there to serve the company, not the employee.

If MEA sells enough to turn a profit, which it most likely will, it's difficult for decision makers to justify the potentially costly changes required to "fix" a toxic culture. Typically those decision makers are also removed from the production process and might not even be aware of the problems faced by employees until a blog post gets picked up by the news or a lawsuit gets filed. Even if they were to recognize the problem, devising and implementing a "fix" can be incredibly difficult.

None of the things in that review are really that out of the ordinary for the gaming industry (or really software development in general), not sure why people want to discount a worker's experience just to turn around to defend a multibillion dollar company.

TheFatMan

I wonder how much of this is "fact" and how much of it is just a disgruntled ex-employee.

I'm in charge of about a dozen people at my work, and I've seen people say things that were downright lies after leaving the company just to make themselves feel or appear better about there actions and or decisions.

Or things get stretched and embellished. Me asking someone to take there break a half hour later turns into, "they forced me to skip my lunch period even though I worked an 8 hour shift!" pretty quick when people get disgruntled.

TBiddy

So many people taking an anonymous post at face value, without stopping to think whether:

A: It's total bullshit and he actually works at McDonald's (Probable)

B: Dude has an axe to grind (Just as probable)

Just automatically assuming that unsubstantiated posts from nameless, faceless people on the net are the gospel truth is just as problematic as the issues laid out.

Thankyou.gif.

I'm really surprised that people are _this_ fast to jump on the bandwagon. Anyone and their mother can write a negative review like that.

To those who think a 30 minute paid lunch is nothing to scoff at (and while it isn't, inherently), remember that we're talking crunch. Often 12+ hour work days, seven days a week. Getting half an hour's pay while you scarf down shit from the vending machine doesn't make up for it.

I always read your comments in Ace Ventura's voice, but yes, this is all insane.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Electronic Arts is terrible to work for.

It's all about the bottomline and not about cultivating talent and creativity.
Love how the majority keep pointing fingers at EA cause they're the easy scapegoats. As if this shit is not prevalent in the majority of corporate culture. This is on Bioware first and foremost, then EA. Let's keep the facts straight.

Copper

DISCLAIMER: Things change during game development, marketing trailers are usually not representative of the final game, this comparison doesn't really mean anything:

cngsUt8
qn90eVQ

It's not just the animations. They scrapped the entire lighting, it not even raining in the left shot. Really disappointing to see what it could have been.

SeanBoocock

Neo Member
Any account of a large team effort, particularly from a lone source and especially if that source is anonymous, will at best be myopic and at worst be a malicious fabrication meant to serve the needs of the source. Even well researched and sourced pieces like those from Jason Schreier and Matt Leone, or efforts like Geoff Keighley's Final Days retrospectives that have full studio involvement, don't capture the day to day reality of the culture at the studio, its development process, or its evolution. To try to paint a picture of Bioware based on a bullet point list of grievances from an alleged, disgruntled ex-employee is misguided and unfair to the team at Bioware. If you didn't like Mass Effect: Andromeda, channel that into constructive criticism of the game and not into inventing narratives about how, who, or why the development of your idealized version of the game was disrupted.

Source: I worked at EA for four years, the last two of which at Bioware. I still have friends there that worked on Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I have a lot of respect for the studio both professionally and as a fan.

In addition, take a look at the below video comparing the leaked 2016 MEA footage to the current footage.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

Notice how the April 2016 leaked version has dramatically better animations, ESPECIALLY the facial animation when that guy starts coughing. What happened?!
mea.gif

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to animation--how the hell does this happen? Like, how is it even possible that they have a much better animation early in the development cycle and it gets this much worse by final? Why would they want to "redo" these facial animations if they were great in the first place? Isn't that extra time/effort?

It's not just the animations. They scrapped the entire lighting, it not even raining in the left shot. Really disappointing to see what it could have been.

The bland over-lit environments of the game are a real bummer. Nothing is flattering, dramatic, etc. Just boring.

Lime

Yeah I was trying to address the change in lighting. Everything just ends up looking flat:

cngsUt8
qn90eVQ

Top Bottom