• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former BioWare Emloyee Review of company sheds distuburing light on MEA's development

I don't get official lunch any day of the week not sure what that bitching is about but the rest of the work culture stuff sounds like shit

But not many workplaces are a lot better many are terrible in their own unique ways the key is to find a way or get lucky to thrive in those situations

Definitely doesn't serve the brand or quality of games at Bioware though but their worsening quality is nothing new

Yeah I don't get the lunch thing. I only get 30 minutes at work too and the company never pays for lunch. Everything else sounds shitty but free lunch seems awesome *shruggs*

It would explain the state of the game though I personally tend not to trust these company reviews because I know some terrible people that reviewed my company after getting fired that were very dishonest.

but yeah.. makes sense.

as for the animations.. I mean there must be some reason to drop the facial anim. Memory? Had to change the rig at some point for a larger fix?

Karu

lol just because you don't have lunch and are able to survive doesn't mean that's okay. Would my job tell me I don't have lunch break every day I would flip. What the fuck.

Caayn

Renaming crunch to Finaling mode. Which means company pays for your lunch but you have only 30 minutes to eat and then getting back on the keyboard. Was lasting for over 2 months and was a real catastrophy.
30min unpaid lunch is normal here.

Having your boss pay for your lunch, or longer lunch periods, are the exception.

Yeah I don't get the lunch thing. I only get 30 minutes at work too and the company never pays for lunch. Everything else sounds shitty but free lunch seems awesome *shruggs*
Because its like the smallest thing they could do to help with crunch culture.

"people are complaining about crunch culture, should we plan more efficiently or give them extra time so they can work normal human hours? "
"no fuck that, just give them a sandwich each and they will be fine."

Getting a free lunch is nothing when people are being forced to work 90 hour weeks, hardly seeing their families and even sleeping under their desk for the night to save time coming in.

The gaming industry really needs to get better at treating its staff like valuable assets instead of the disposable coding machines many places currently do.

Davide

sRgaKN4.png

I can't play this.

NAKEDCOWBOY

Neo Member
Sadly, I will not be first day purchasing Andromeda, a game I have looked forward to for years. I'm very picky about games and the Mass Effect series is something I hold dear.

I bought EA Origin Access on PC just to try Andromeda and was very, very disappointed in the combat, the handling of a brand-new universe and the UI. The reviews sealed it for me, reassuring me that I won't be missing anything.

If anything I'll buy this game when it's on sale for $10 and play on easy through the main story just so I can play the sequel if it's handled with more care than this atrocity.

99Luffy

Banned
30min unpaid lunch is normal here.

Having your boss pay for your lunch, or longer lunch periods, are the exception.
Crunch usually means an unspoken rule of unpaid overtime, and not taking any paid breaks either.. I assume the OP is saying management used free lunch to try and appease that.

sRgaKN4.png

I can't play this.

The game really doesn't look like that for me. Maybe on the lowest settings? In any case, we've seen time after time how early vertical slices and "target" renders have graphics turned up to 11, and once the game is actually made devs realize they actually have to make it run on Xbox One level hw. We've seen these same comparisons with W3, Watch Dogs, DS2 etc. It's really nothing new at this point.

My guess is EA really wanted continuation of ME so Bioware had to shove it to Montreal with limited resources, and there was little creative passion or strong leadership for it to begin with. Eventually EA realized the game isn't going to be on the same level as the original trilogy, and decided they'll just push it out now regardless of how unfinished it is.

It's crazy though how Bioware Edmonton's new IP is supposed to be a multiplayer action adventure, when they're the ones known for SP RPG's and Bioware Montreal is the one that did ME3 MP.

krumble

Definitely agree

I do A LOT of out of hours server work, no extra pay just "some" time off when staffing levels allow

Comes with the job role, I accept that or find another line of work, or a more junior position on much much less pay where I'm only expected to do my contracted hiurs

All companies have their faults..

The culture sounds shitty though and the employee did the right thing by leaving if he didn't like it

Xtars

Irrelevant though.

In 2017, when you look at the competition, that target render was 100% doable.

It's not like I was satisfied with what I had seen.

But now that I've actually seen the good "Mass Effect" that we'll never get, I'm done.

I can't deal with this as the norm :

8c8Pcei.png

I didn't see anything that looked that bad in the 10hr trial I played on PC, all the indoor environments were gorgeous and had very nice textures. That have to be run on really low settings to achieve that look.

I didn't see anything that looked that bad in the 10hr trial I played on PC, all the indoor environments were gorgeous and had very nice textures. That have to be run on really low settings to achieve that look.

They were playing on the PS4 Pro @ 1080p.

TheOddOne

It seemed like a given something went down.
Pretty much.

- Gamespot: Mass Effect Andromeda Senior Development Director Leaves BioWare.
The Mass Effect Andromeda development team has lost a senior staffer. Senior development director Chris Wynn has left the development team and BioWare altogether, he announced on Twitter recently.
- Polygon: Mass Effect: Andromeda lead writer leaves BioWare for Bungie.
Schlerf joined BioWare in its Montreal last year to work on the upcoming Mass Effect title, but announced Monday night on Twitter that he was heading to Bungie. He previously worked in the Seattle area at 343 Industries on Halo 4.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
To those who think a 30 minute paid lunch is nothing to scoff at (and while it isn't, inherently), remember that we're talking crunch. Often 12+ hour work days, seven days a week. Getting half an hour's pay while you scarf down shit from the vending machine doesn't make up for it.

That's a good point.

Didn't think of that when I posted.

A-V-B

I know that David Gaidar, the previous head writer, left. But Patrick Weekes, who I consider one of Bioware's best writers, has taken over. And the first piece of content he worked on was Trespasser, which was pretty universally praised as far as I can tell by those who played it.

Patrick Weekes is the fucking man. Always has been. Love that guy's work and I'm glad he's still operating on this level.

It troubles me that we find these things out after the fact. Though on the other hand, if the developers and publishers were completely transparent, we'd obviously have more boycotts on our hands to have more healthy and happy work environments (which hopefully leads to higher quality games), but my pessimism would suggest that publishers would just cancel projects and probably close studios as the cheapest solution since they think nobody would buy the games anyway due to negative reaction.

It would explain the state of the game though I personally tend not to trust these company reviews because I know some terrible people that reviewed my company after getting fired that were very dishonest.

Yeah, definitely take it with a grain of salt.

Workplace politics are 100% unavoidable. It's human nature to be tribal, we spent ~200,000 years living in small tribal groups and mostly mistrusting other groups, so cliques sadly come naturally to us. It's why people who live in the country are likely to smile and say "hello" to other people they pass, but as soon as you're in a town or city surrounded by a ridiculous number of people your natural reaction is to shut off and never even make eye contact.

Large companies and their HR teams should know this though and actively work to foster a more open and friendly atmosphere. It sounds like Montreal isn't doing that, and falling into the dangerous trap of treating anyone outside their lead teams as part of a different group of people. That's not a fun situation for anyone to be in, and it's not going to produce good results for a product the entire team is supposed to be working together on.

WaterAstro

Electronic Arts is terrible to work for.

It's all about the bottomline and not about cultivating talent and creativity.

Irrelevant though.

But now that I've actually seen the good "Mass Effect" that we'll never get, I'm done.

8c8Pcei.png

Have we seriously reached the point where we zoom in on compressed youtube videos in order to get a point across?

Something went very, very wrong.
Cant wait for more info to come out of this trainwreck.

We probably never will unfortunately, sounds very Bungie and what happened with Destiny.

Quickly wrapping up the game with fast assets to make it playable.

arigato

Regardless of the review this game seems like it went through development hell
I know.. Mass Effect 3 doesn't look that terrible in comparison. But that still isn't saying much.
Irrelevant though.

8c8Pcei.png
For a moment there I thought that was a screenshot of Saints Row 1 lol.

It was about the art direction going to shit, as well as lightning and faces, which compression is barely affecting, but okay.

Enjoy this then :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSNCAZyjdU4&feature=youtu.be

Did the point get across now ?

Nowhere in your previous two posts I saw you mention art direction, lightning and/or faces being the point of your hate. I see someone hating on the graphics by posting a compressed youtube screenshot. That alone gives me enough incentive to post.

Dislike the game all you want, but stop posting compressed youtube shots in order to get your point across. It makes you sound unbelievable at best.

KillLaCam

Banned
So this is slightly off topic. But I hope Sci-fi games stop having these troubled developments. First Destiny, then Deus Ex, Now this. Hopefully everything goes well for Cyberpunk 2077

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Never having played a Mass Effect before I was going to use Andromeda to jump in, but I'll wait a couple of years for them to finish the game.

Jinroh

Hopefully everything goes well for Cyberpunk 2077
It will. Unlike this game it's made by competent people who take their time and push the boundaries with each new game they release. There might be downgrades and little controversies here and there but when you play their games you can see the love and hard work they invest in them. I never feels butchered and awkward.

Slaythe

Nowhere in your previous two posts I saw you mention art direction, lightning and/or faces being the point of your hate. I see someone hating on the graphics by posting a compressed youtube screenshot. That alone gives me enough incentive to post.

Dislike the game all you want, but stop posting compressed youtube shots in order to get your point across. It makes you sound unbelievable at best.
VgWtvvA.gif

Oook I'm gonna back away from this argument.

I'm sure people are smart enough to judge what they see for themselves.

Rafus

About the 30 minutes paid lunch, as some people said, I also think that he/she is meaning that their crunch time was compensated with a lunch.
Probably they were doing 12 hours and working the weekends during that crunch time and didn't get paid.

I was at a company that did that sometimes, not very often.

30 or 40 bucks might make it a better purchase for a lot of people.

Yep. I'm waiting on that price point, and hoping Bioware get some patches out the door for character creation and those damn eye shaders while I'm waiting. The gameplay itself and the environment design were really solid in the trial imo.

You're not missing anything from the compression in that screenshot, the shit would look just as bad without it.

Top Bottom