• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIV Yoshida interview with Kotaku: wants 2+ more expansions, crossplay, more

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
He mentioned the server thing last year, was either a live letter or interview.

Here's a quote from a Polygon article that popped up when I tried to google and find it. This was from June of last year right after MS started talking about cross play.

Artcle link

This is all pretty clearly the same sort of language he's using in this Kotaku interview, too. He's basically saying almost the exact same things, just without explicitly singling Microsoft out.

Kent

Give me blue mage and I will subscribe until they shut down the servers

Realistically-speaking, it probably won't be in the next expansion - largely due to the fact that it could only really be classified in the broad DPS role for the game, and we just got two added in one expansion, which is shafting queue times royally.

If next expansion is two more jobs, it's likely to be a healer and tank (
Mystic Knight and Chemist please
). After that, we might see DPS again - unless they want to go with adding three in one expansion, which they said they didn't want to do again after Heavensward.

That said, Blue Mage is my favorite job in the series - especially the FFXI implementation. I'd love to see it translate well to FFXIV.

OniBaka

I want him to work on the game forever, story so good.

I find it funny this thread hasn't blown up regarding cross play when MS are blocking it.

Zen Mu

Realistically-speaking, it probably won't be in the next expansion - largely due to the fact that it could only really be classified in the broad DPS role for the game, and we just got two added in one expansion, which is shafting queue times royally.

). After that, we might see DPS again - unless they want to go with adding three in one expansion, which they said they didn't want to do again after Heavensward.

That said, Blue Mage is my favorite job in the series - especially the FFXI implementation. I'd love to see it translate well to FFXIV.

I think Blue Mage could actually be a cool tank. Hell, I tanked wyrms a couple times on FFXI using BLU (I know, different games). Could be interesting if they went that route.

kaioshade

I know some concessions and reductions would have to be made, but i would buy the shit out of this on the Switch so fast.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When he says retire, does he mean from XIV or from video games?

1. Does he mean retire retire? Or move on from 14? Because if its the former I will be very upset. He is the only guy I trust to make a fully competent FF16 with real results and no bullshit.

2. Its clear at this point Nintendo and Microsoft aren't the problem. FUCK Sony.

He's 44. Japanese developers don't get paid that much either.

SkyOdin

Blue Mages have made a career of letting themselves be hit by attacks, and Mighty Guard is already the level 2 Tank limit break.

Seriously though, Blue Mages have always been a hybrid physical/magic job, and have traditionally used several damage mitigation and hp drain abilities. If the dev team wanted, they could easily make Blue Mage a tank job. Of course, Samurai could have been a tank too, so it mostly comes down to the vision of the devs.

No, the 14 team is making 14. It's an ongoing process.

Now, several key staff members have left the 14 team, or been changed to less intensive roles, which could mean that these staff members are on new projects, but the core FF14 team remains working on FF14.

To elaborate on this for people who haven't followed the Stormblood OT:

Today I let the title screen run on for the first time and got the Stormblood opening movie complete with credits and all. I didn't notice the staff changes back when I finished 3.5 probably because I skipped the credits immediately to get on with it, since SB was coming out. Lol.

Some... really surprising changes.

- The Assistant Director roles are completely gone

- Minagawa is no longer Lead UI Designer, but is now the Art Director. FFXIV has not had this role since 2.0. Akihiko Yoshida was the art director for 1.0, but he was "lead artist" for 2.0, and subsequently off the team from 3.0 since he left S-E.

- The main scenario writers are now the world lore creator and a HW scenario writer.

This means... Hiroshi Takai, Mitsutoshi Gondai, Kazutoyo Maehiro are all off the game as leads now. For the 3.5 credits, all 3 were listed under "development supervision" instead. The last time FFXIV lost a major lead between expansions was Niinou leaving after 2.0, and he ended up directing Dragon Quest Builders.

Could this be an indication that part of the FFXIV team is now working on another new project? :eek:

Reminder: Takai and Maehiro previously worked together on The Last Remnant, which Takai directed and Maehiro was the lead designer.

There's definitely a possibility that there's another project in the works at Square-Enix Business Division 5. Yoshida wouldn't be directing it, but he would be in a hands-off supervisory role as he was on Dragon Quest Builders.

Zomba13

2. Its clear at this point Nintendo and Microsoft aren't the problem. FUCK Sony.

Yeah. Before all the Xbox cross-play and the stuff Sony said recently I always assumed it was something on MS end that stopped it seeing as we got the crossplay already with PS3/4 but now it's obvious that the problem is Sony letting the PS4/3 crossplay with Xbox and not the other way around. I'm guessing the FFXIV stuff was a deal already in place because of the PS3 version and Sony couldn't go back on it or something.

jiggle

They did such a good job with the story
Even better than the recent offline FFs
Every time I thought about returning I was reminded of how much I disliked the job and gear systems though
Not good

Were any of those ppl that left involved with Chrono?

1. Does he mean retire retire? Or move on from 14? Because if its the former I will be very upset. He is the only guy I trust to make a fully competent FF16 with real results and no bullshit.

I don't think he will retire for a while now.

I'm too deep in to not see this story through. Keep the expansions coming Yoshida, if you run out of space on the continent, make another.

I don't want Yoshi to be forever bound to FFXIV. Let him finish his story with the two other expansions, and then give him a single-player mainline game to direct. The guy has fucking earned it.

Xiaoki

The people blaming Sony for lack of Xbox cross play are hilarious.

Yoshida has been saying for years that the problem is MSs policies but apparently now because of Minecraft and Rocket League it's suddenly Sony's fault.

If I remember correctly Yoshida had 3 stipulations: must play on SEs servers only, must play with all other platforms and only FF14 subscription required to play (probably the sticking point here).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It still blows my mind how utterly fascinating both the writing and localization are in FFXIV. It's a divide in quality the size of an ocean compared to other large scale FF games.

The narrative maintains a consistent tone that respects both the lore, setting, and player audience while clearly adhering to a highly structured and planned storyboard guideline that flows naturally. No inane tangential or purposefully redacted cuts to confuse the audience and create the impression of depth without substance(see XV, XIII, KH...)

On top of that, FATES and flavor text are full of well structured puns and humor that are above typical cheap meme jokes. It's remarkable and rarely gets credit.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If they brought the game to Switch, I might consider getting back into it. The game was OK to me. Not being open world really made it difficult for me to keep playing.

ISee

People blaming sony for microsoft not allowing ff14 to have cross play servers only and/or for the game to be playable without xbox gold.

SUPARSTARX

Would be interesting to see this work on a Switch but yeah, PC master race for MMORPG's.

Hopefully in the near future we could get crossplay for FFXIV. I'm enjoying Stormblood a lot.

Justified

Yeah. Before all the Xbox cross-play and the stuff Sony said recently I always assumed it was something on MS end that stopped it seeing as we got the crossplay already with PS3/4 but now it's obvious that the problem is Sony letting the PS4/3 crossplay with Xbox and not the other way around. I'm guessing the FFXIV stuff was a deal already in place because of the PS3 version and Sony couldn't go back on it or something.

Well your guess is wrong since it's been publicly stated what the issue is

Come on Phil, whatever are your reasons to not let this on Xbox, you can make an exception like MS did with the previous version.

Kanann

rather than being selfish about ‘Oh I want to make this, or if I can’t make this I’m going to leave the company’—I wouldn’t think of it that way,” he said.

Don't roast your former boss, YoshiP. If Saito didn't threaten Div6, NieR Automata will never happen LOL

Irara

Neo Member
I think some people are reading into the two expansions comment a bit much. He just said he wants to stick around until the end of the current story, not that he (or the game) is necessarily going anywhere after. He's already said there's room for expansions after the current story is concluded:

Yoshida: We haven’t actually clearly decided on how we’ll bring a resolution to the Ascian arc. I don’t think we need to hold it until the end of service however. Having the arc for them end and finding out about Zodiark or the secret behind Hydaelyn or who the Warrior of Light actually is… even if we did reveal all that and have closure, it’s still not the end of the story. We can always make more expansions, maybe we’ll go to Vana’diel or something like that- “Return to Vana’diel” (laughs)
Source

So 5.0 will probably be full scale war against garlemald, and 6.0 we fight the ascians head on

Garlemald stuff may last up to 6.0.

Would be interesting to see this work on a Switch but yeah, PC master race for MMORPG's.

Hopefully in the near future we could get crossplay for FFXIV. I'm enjoying Stormblood a lot.

Doesn't it already have crossplay? I remember console people getting yelled at for their long loading times during Prae

This man is the hero the Final Fantasy brand needed. Sounds like he'll be working on XIV for another 5 years or more. I'll follow him wherever he goes.

Hyun Sai

He's already answered this multiple times before. Cross play on Xbox (as of now) requires the games to have the option for Xbox gamers to turn it off essentially and play only with other Xbox players (basically Xbox only servers). This has been the hold up for 2 years now. They tried to get the game on XB1 immediately after the PS4 version was released, but they are not willing to do Xbox only servers in addition to the regular ones (and it makes zero sense for an MMO).

Can't blame it on Sony every time.

Basically it's the same deal in SFV where you have the option to block PC and only play with PS4 users ?

EDarkness

Man if they ever port this game to Switch my life is ruined.

Heh, same here. I hope they do it, though. My wife has been asking about this for a while and I don't see how Nintendo would give them any grief about porting the game over and crossplay. I think there has to be more going on here which is why it hasn't happened yet.

Luminaire

WOW @ some of you people spinning this into a "fuck Sony" crossplay thing. You've no idea what you're talking about and are simply embarrassing yourselves. The situation regarding FFXIV has been explained numerous times by Yoshida. It's not the same bone-headed decisions that Sony is making regarding other crossplay games. With that in mind, you're far more likely to see it come to Switch before XB1. As for Switch - it's a new platform. Give them some time to get the game up and running on dev kits first.

Onto the actual interview, I imagine we'll get to 7.0 before the next MMO comes out. I'd imagine that would be FF17 or 18. I wouldn't be surprised if 11 was still running at that point and still had subs...

Mandoric

Banned
It's obvious given the DQ10 situation that Sony is in general getting a bit weird, and that's unfortunate, but that doesn't mean that prior MS weirdness isn't still rolling and the mention that they're negotiating with Phil in particular suggests MS is still the blocker for 14.

Blue Mages have made a career of letting themselves be hit by attacks, and Mighty Guard is already the level 2 Tank limit break.

Seriously though, Blue Mages have always been a hybrid physical/magic job, and have traditionally used several damage mitigation and hp drain abilities. If the dev team wanted, they could easily make Blue Mage a tank job. Of course, Samurai could have been a tank too, so it mostly comes down to the vision of the devs.

Lack of specs/versatility, even though I understand the design motivation, is still really my biggest disappointment with ARR.

Enthus

Somebody needs to ask about some (optional) graphical improvements in one of these interviews. Maybe improved water, or an optional HD texture pack for PC and PS4 Pro, for instance...

I'm honestly fine with the poly count the game has now, but the pixelated mess of textures in cutscenes will never not bother me.

Top Bottom