• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces renewed Trademark for "Killer Instinct"

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
No. No it did not. People were too busy playing MK II or NBA Jam when KI came out. Hell, Super Street Fighter 2 was still killin the arcades from what I remember.
I dunno, the arcade I regularly went to KI was the game everyone was crowded around for hours. I remember waiting for at least 30 minutes just to get my damn turn. Waaaay more than SSFII/MK/VF etc.

Yeah, Tusk is fucking awesome. But I never liked Kim Wu of Maya.

It was a huge price to pay for them getting rid of Riptor, Chief Thunder and Cinder, but keeping fucking Spinal. Spinal was the least used character when Rare looked at the data for character usage, he was so unpopular, they thought they could fix him, which is why he was still in KI2.

I can't wait until people actually play Killer Instinct and realize that it's a bad game and that their love for the franchise has been based upon nostalgia for a time when they didn't know any better.

marrec

Banned
I can't wait until people actually play Killer Instinct and realize that it's a bad game and that their love for the franchise has been based upon nostalgia for a time when they didn't know any better.

I dunno man, me and my friends had KI and SFII and played a lot more of KI.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Killer Instinct was popular, but "massive impact" is clear hyperbole. The series was all but dead after a couple of years and left little to no lasting influence on the genre. It's pretty much the definition of a product of its time.

sleepykyo

On one hand, I agree that it is bad game. On the other, tastes differ and not everyone likes the same thing. It was badly designed (especially the first one) but had lots of gore, over the top combos and fancy graphics.

RyudBoy

KI's gameplay hasn't aged well but it sure was fun as hell to play back in the day. I wouldn't mind an HD remake but would be more excited for KI3.

Also, goddamn at that Orchid cosplay...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

It's one of the few games I can play regularly

It's awesomeness is timeless!

And for influence: combo chaining and breaking? Ultra combos? Getting out of fatality? Seamless rounds?

It left its mark

Eh, tourney-quality or 'unbroken' fighters are all over the place. KI was fun among friends who could get into it. Too much emphasis on the enthusiast consensus helped to lead to overly sanitized arena shooters and one-on-one fighters alike. There's plenty of fun in the jagged edges of B-list games, as far as balance is concerned.

I wonder if they have the original data used for the graphics as it would be neat to see everything rerendered to click with 1080p and full color detail. And with old re-releases, it would be nice to see optional hindsight balancing tweaks that comes from the community who enjoys playing it. Assuming that this is real, anyway, though all re-releases should offer alternate balance settings.

VALIS

I totally get all the Kinect and Avatar jokes. It's just like all those other times Microsoft took one of their core gamer IPs and slapped Kinect and Avatar stuff all over them such as

derFeef

I remember them saying they wanted to revive killer instinct using kinect.

Yeah, that was when Kinect was still Natal and people thought "Rare working on numerous Natal projects" means Killer Instinct. Never happened, most likely will not happen.

I totally get all the Kinect and Avatar jokes. It's just like all those other times Microsoft took one of their core gamer IPs and slapped Kinect and Avatar stuff all over them such as

tell me about it, it's tiring.

That guy Combo was the easiest to get a ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA combo B^) "hoot hoot yeah!" , I think that's what he sounded like when he won lol.

I used that guy Thunder too B^) his tomahawks and hair was awesome, "a son of a B" was what he said I think lol.

Give me the remake/sequel Microsoft please

Coolwhip

Banned
The CGI render of Jago in the Killer Instinct booklet was the most impressed I ever was by visuals. I couldn't imagine games ever looking that good.

Might be this

jago-ki1-render.jpg

Jarlaxle

I played it about a month and a half ago. It's awesome.

sleepykyo

It's one of the few games I can play regularly

It's awesomeness is timeless!

And for influence: combo chaining and breaking? Ultra combos? Getting out of fatality?

It left its mark

Killer Instinct and Darkstalkers hit at the same time with their respective takes on chains. The rigid Killer Instinct chains and non-baitable breaks only exists in MK games now.

The SF4 ultra is also fundamentally different from KI's ultra combo.

Fatalities? I don't know what to say. I guess it is comparable to the instant kills in animu games which aren't particularly popular.

I'd even put weaponlord as more influential than Killer Instinct. That aside a Killer Instinct reboot could be amazing.

I've played it in arcades as recently as last year. For me, it holds up better than the original SFII does, mainly because the characters don't move like feathers in soup.

Fox Mulder

They will never make a KI3. The last people who worked on it on Rare have long since left. There's literally no one remaining left there who worked on any killer instinct, so Rare will certainly never make a sequel.

Microsoft does not care about fighting games, and is perfectly content to let Sony have all the exclusives they want when it comes to that genre, so XBLA re-releases will be as good as we'll ever get.

We all know prime Rare is dead. But MS can do something with their old franchises, as Rare didn't do the xbla ports of perfect dark and banjo kazooie. If MS thinks there's money in the dusty KI franchise, then great that there's some movement around it.

This feels like the kind of early hype to secure fans for a console launch. MS digging out some older Rare stuff and just making new IPs overall will certainly get me interested in their next console.

give me my proper hd Conker BFD. None of that edited xbox bullshit.

And with old re-releases, it would be nice to see optional hindsight balancing tweaks that comes from the community who enjoys playing it. Assuming that this is real, anyway, though all re-releases should offer alternate balance settings.

KI1 had multiple updates. No matter what you do Cinder's God. No balancing changes that. Same for KI2. The game at this point where trying to balance problems from damn near 20 years ago really doesn't make a lot of sense business wise. If MS does this they aren't going to waste time fixing those problems. They'll get the last available version and plop it on and let the players deal with it. And there are many other fighters that have been busted so wide open that after you consider balancing it you might as well make a new game. Games like Hokuto no Ken, Sengoku Basara X and recently UMVC3 come to mind here.

And re-releases with balance changes? We tried that with HDR. That didn't end to swimmingly except for the fact that new people picked up ST which was a good thing. Personally I was cool on the changes in HDR because of Sagat's Tiger Knee.

At the end of the day you'll just have to rock the games as they are and learn to adjust to all the broken they serve up.

Killer Instinct - OMF 2097 crossover confirmed

No. Just do Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2. Thanks.

Just my two cents, wait till Boon is done making Injustice and offer NRS a percentage to reboot this series. He could do it right and efficiently.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Just my two cents, wait till Boon is done making Injustice and offer NRS a percentage to reboot this series. He could do it right and efficiently.
I always hear people saying get NRS to make a new KI, maybe Im being pessimistic but that just sounds awful to me. Let them stick to MK.

ReXXXSoprano, I did say it would be nice if it were optional. No need to not offer the original game version balance, but a hardcore fan or two bringing a list of changes and working with someone to alter values and attributes wouldn't be too expensive (if it were that simple), I'd think. Just releasing the game in some HD- and internet play-friendly fashion would fine enough, but it would be nice to see new, much-appreciated options for the most guaranteed part of your sales, the established fanbase.

B3il

Both KI games are absolute shit but I love them all the same. Just the look, the sound, that '90s cyber-fantasy stuff, the technical zeitgeist it rode in on.... it's lovely.

I know this is largely nostalgia talking but I don't care; sometimes there's more to a game than the game itself. I think we as forum-going gamers get so caught up in trying to find demonstrable, measurable means to argue whose toy is best that we've become too quick to discount the emotional, resonant parts. The parts that don't really make sense, or fit a tech spec sheet, or get high metacritic scores.

If the KIs are re-released it'll be literal minutes before awful, broken shit is uploaded to Youtube. And people will screech about how terrible they are and how lazy whoever ported them is, and how much better their favourite fighter franchise is. But that's what they are, They're a product of their time, their place. As far as I'm concerned they're absolutely fine.

Likewise I'd be interested in a KI3 - and having the original staff is not nearly as important as having people who get it. As long as it looks cool, is cheesy, funny, catchy and stupid I'm down for it. As long as there's a grab bag of insanely catchy music, weird secrets, absurd excess and and that terrific WHOMP noise from a successful Combo Breaker, we'll be just fine.

Top Bottom