• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) |OT| Jazz was always there between us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

I thought Episode 9 was actually pretty great.

A lot of stuff got resolved, it was almost cathartic.

It was, dare I say it, heart warming.

Jubern

So judging by the lack of posts, do I take it that everybody was as disappointed by episode 9 as I was...???

Nope, I just had something else on my mind and forgot to post.

I really like those two's dynamic so I was really happy it ended that way for them. Also, it didn't slow down the main characters' plot that much so it's alright. Like Dmax says, quite the heartwarming episode.

Ultimadrago

Kids on the Slope 9

REU25.jpg

:mad:

You remember when we had some jazz?

Let's largely remain in those times.

Though what little we got this episode, I did acknowledge the purpose behind. Jun and Sent working off tension between one another in one of the most effective ways they know how.

And with how the ending went, I hope this means less
Jun and Yurika
on screen.

I just spent the weekend catching up on all the episodes. I can't remember the last anime that piqued my interest this much.

It really is a great meld of music and plot. Like many others have said, the amount of communication and emotion that happens during the sessions and performances is fantastic, and really shines through. While it'd be great to have a 5 minute music sequence every episode, I think it would take away from the moments where that actually happens. The end of episode 7 is really phenomenal and probably one of the most memorable anime sequences I've ever seen.

Hopefully the last 3 will deliver!

Edit: Lastly, as a pianist myself, I'm amazed at how accurate the animation is. By in large, the animation/notes played match up with the music almost perfectly.

Branduil

Episode 9

ibsgM6h87D0Z73.jpg

You're not alone, Kaoru.

iUbjAWXhMbUFj.jpg

The message of this show is that music gets all the chicks, no matter what kind of person you are.

It's nice to see this show looking good again, the art direction was very nice in this episode.

It's just a little detail, but the colors chosen for the outfits in this scene were really appealing. In particular Kaoru's outfit, that scarf is pretty bold, but it's complemented really well by the vest.

iCF4fRwCBNRMn.jpg

ijQT15SYpuZhB.jpg

This arc was quite rushed, but they ended it about as well as they could in this episode. A huge improvement over the previous one in that regard. The session in this episode was fantastically animated, and I also really liked the bgm for the last scene.

iPVTBOAZuY2GD.gif

Are there animators who specialize in slapkuga?

duckroll

Episode 10

This show is definitely at its best when focusing on the core relationship the main leads share. They're great characters and there's a lot of development there over the span of the series. With various distractions out of the way now, this episode really allows that relationship dynamic to move forward once again as we enter the final stretch of the show. The events this week basically outline the direction the finale is headed towards, and if they don't screw it up, this will definitely end on a high note. :D

Branduil

Episode 10

That was a pretty great episode.
Jun and Yurika eloping
was a wonderful development because now all of the focus is on the characters we care about. I'm really sad that we only get two more weeks with them.

Dresden

Showdown with fang boy and his stooges should be glorious.

I also kinda like him now, despite that attempted assassination of the show back in episode six.

-_-

Banned
I want this to be licensed so I can buy the hell out of it.

I love, love, love how each episode end with a nice cliffhanger setup. This and Beck are what music based anime should be like, good music (and them actually playing/singing it) and team Atlus style interpersonal relationships.

duckroll

I love, love, love how each episode end with a nice cliffhanger setup. This and Beck are what music based anime should be like, good music (and them actually playing/singing it) and team Atlus style interpersonal relationships.

It was licensed before it started airing. Sentai will be releasing it on DVD and BD later this year I think. Or maybe early next year. Not sure on the details, but they announced it.

Lol, told you it was gonna be good. KannoXWatanabe man... I also wish there'd be another musically inclined anime on the level of Beck. Kids is a lot more uneven, but when it's on (like Ep. 7 and Kaoru's confession), it's hard not to feel impressed by its capacity for expression.

Haven't caught the last two yet, but man, I can't believe it's almost over. Felt like it began just yesterday :l

Wow..as someone who hasn't been an anime fan in ages, I started watching b/c of Yoko Kanno and Shinichiro Watanabe. These two are on a whole different level when it comes to anime. Amazing marriage of drama and music. That scene in episode 7 was brilliant. Got Art Blakey stuck in my head and it feels good

Tbh the only episode I didn't like was the one that introduced that stupid looking 60s rock kid with the fangs. Every other one was on point whether it focused on music or not.

It feels rushed at times and the sense of time is totally lost on me in this series, I can't tell what the hell is going on with the school year or what month they're in and why it's winter now and spring 10 minutes later (exaggeration, but y'all get what I mean)

having said that it's still way better than I thought it would be (just going by the description). Watanabe's still clearly got it. Buying BluRay day one. Now bring on the penultimate episode :(

duckroll

Heads up about today's ep11: Kazuto Nakazawa did some animation on it. Looking forward to see that. He's the guy who directed and animated the entire OP for this show himself.

Finale credits:

Ep12 - All Blues

Script: Yuuko Kakihara, Shinichiro Watanabe
Episode Director: Shinichiro Watanabe, Jun Shishido
Storyboard: Shinichiro Watanabe
Animation Director: Katsuya Yamada, Cindy H. Yamauchi

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Heads up about today's ep11: Kazuto Nakazawa did some animation on it. Looking forward to see that. He's the guy who directed and animated the entire OP for this show himself.
So I should expect it to look bad?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You will be judged by your posts.
I know he's a very capable animator, but the Apollon OP jumps between a few different styles, few of which match the show. Some of the characters look very different from their in episode counterparts proportionally, and shots that aren't close ups seem very rushed. I'm sure his work on the episode will look fine though. Lots of the OP just looks really off or weird to me.
oR6BT.jpg

vYh8Y.jpg

HeDwA.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
I know he's a very capable animator, but the Apollon OP jumps between a few different styles, few of which match the show. Some of the characters look very different from their in episode counterparts proportionally, and shots that aren't close ups seem very rushed. I'm sure his work on the episode will look fine though. Lots of the OP just looks really off or weird to me.
oR6BT.jpg

vYh8Y.jpg

HeDwA.jpg
Animation doesn't work like you think it does.

-_-

Banned
How bromance should be done and when he comes back, it better be during their graduation so he and Kaoru can stick it to that fang boy.

Am I the only one who originally thought his dad coming back would equate to his dad forbidding him from playing jazz and being an abusive ass?

i hope he doesn't come back. it would make it more cliche for him to appear. but then not coming back because of selfish reason would do the same.

So. i'd go with them going a few years ahead and show them meeting up later or walking pass each other IDK. i enjoy the tears at the end.

Dmax3901

Another good episode, I like the natural progression of Riko and Richie's relationship, didn't feel forced.

Tears was well done.

Dresden

Didn't like this episode at all. The gotcha twist in the middle was so bad.

I'm sure it'll pull itself out of the gutter with awesome music next episode (as it usually does), but that was horrible.

Branduil

Episode 11

ibru2hxDU100Gc.jpg

So :firehawk

Ritsuko's dad is one of the best anime dads.
I was expecting something tragic to happen to Sentarou, but I guess they subverted that by having it be his sister instead. Sentarou will obviously come back, they have to pay off all that build-up for the festival that got interrupted in this episode.

A nice penultimate episode, the scene with
Kaoru and Sentarou crying
was pretty great.

So I should expect it to look bad?

iPVTBOAZuY2GD.gif

Ultimadrago

Kids on the Slope 10

Love, misunderstandings, bananas.

The players are all here.

==========================================================

Kids on the Slope 11

ijSzE.png

Well, this was cleared up quickly.

Sen, Ri'ko and Kaoru all at working hard to prepare for the festival was nice but then,

Halfway point occurrence reaction:
...Look man, I just came for some jazz.

That said, I'd be lying if I said that an
act of "end game" drama
would be completely surprising coming from the series.

Ah well, still looking forward to the finale.

Heck, maybe they'll be able to squeeze one timeskip lengthier performance somewhere in there.

duckroll

Episode 12 (END)

It's a really odd finale episode. I don't think it was badly done or anything, in fact it was a suitable and fitting ending. But at the same time it's not really the ending I really expected. The abridged nature of the entire series feels really obvious when I realize that there's a serious lack of emotional attachment at the end. It feels that given a few more episodes or half a season more, the characters and developments could be a lot more fleshed out, and the conclusion would have more impact.

Overall I definitely enjoyed the series, but it was really a roller-coaster ride in terms of pacing and direction. Some of the fault probably lies in the source material, while a lot of it also lies in how little time they had to adapt all the content, but they made those creative decisions and this is what we got, so there's no point reflecting too much on that.

It's pretty disturbing that 8 years later Ritsuko looks even more like a man than she did when she was younger. -_-

Jex

Episode 12 (END)

It's a really odd finale episode. I don't think it was badly done or anything, in fact it was a suitable and fitting ending. But at the same time it's not really the ending I really expected. The abridged nature of the entire series feels really obvious when I realize that there's a serious lack of emotional attachment at the end. It feels that given a few more episodes or half a season more, the characters and developments could be a lot more fleshed out, and the conclusion would have more impact.

Overall I definitely enjoyed the series, but it was really a roller-coaster ride in terms of pacing and direction. Some of the fault probably lies in the source material, while a lot of it also lies in how little time they had to adapt all the content, but they made those creative decisions and this is what we got, so there's no point reflecting too much on that.

Apollon - End

Perhaps if this series had actually been 26 episodes it might have worked, but in the end there was just too little time for the audience to forge the bonds with the characters that would be needed before this ending became impactful.

A telling sign of this is how emotionally powerful the climax of episode 7 was compared to episode 12. At the time of episode 7 aired I felt fairly close to the characters and felt like the show had done a good job of establishing them up till that point. In comparison,
by the time we get to the end of episode 12 I feel like I don't even know who these people are anymore.

interesting finale. wasnt what i was expecting but i understand they didnt have enough time to fit everything in.

i do wish we could have had more episodes...too bad.

This show ran into the same problem as Korra did. It was way too short. Not enough time to build on these characters, and make the audience feel attached to them. The finale felt rush. I didn't hate the finale, I was actually fine with it (unlike Korra). Though, the quality of the end would have risen if the show was given more time to bloom.

My current feelings are the show had vast potential, yet it only reached half of it. Given more time, this would have been something extremely special. As of now, it is only a contender for my top five anime for this year, instead of all-time.

Clott

Just finished it, and well I think all in all it was a pretty great show, but the ending was so underwhelming!!!

I am reading the manga along side, and I hope that it fleshes out the ending a bit more.

And why did she cut her hair?! It looked terrible.

The Boat

Loved the ending, I'm just sad there won't be any more Sakamichi (well, anime at least) to look forward to :/ I would've liked 26 eps and more Jazz, but in just 12 episodes I got very attached to the characters. I also liked the intensity of the show and the way time skips all the time really sells (intentionally or otherwise) how time can go by so fast without you doing anything about your problems and your life.

Great show. Please don't go back into relative inactivity Watanabe!

Kettch

At least there was a decent ending to that terrible episode. Such an annoying/disappointing series. I'm glad Watanabe doesn't seem to do the same thing twice, so hopefully this'll be the last teenage love drama he bothers with.

Dresden

Disappointing overall. The climax was at episode 7; everything that happened after felt disjointed, weird, unnecessary, unnatural. The shitty twist at episode eleven was pretty alienating.

Dmax3901

I didn't mind Ep12 too much. The ending was almost satisfying, and that jam/slope run was pretty nice.

I almost wish they spent the whole episode 8 years later. That stuff with Riko and Richie seemed entirely pointless, especially as we never got to see it resolved.

My other big problem is with Sentaro. Why did he leave? Peaked at Ep7, but I still enjoyed this show very much.

I didn't mind Ep12 too much. The ending was almost satisfying, and that jam/slope run was pretty nice.

It was nice, but at the same time it felt like a weaker version of the end of episode 7. Looking at the show in hindsight, expanding the events of 1-7 to fill the whole 12 episodes would likely have resulted in a stronger show.

I almost wish they spent the whole episode 8 years later. That stuff with Riko and Richie seemed entirely pointless, especially as we never got to see it resolved.

Yeah, to have the back-and-forth of the love triangle take up so much of the show and then get chucked in the trash can is rather unsatisfying.

My other big problem is with Sentaro. Why did he leave?

His departure doesn't feel in character. He always seemed like someone who valued the responsibilies he held within his family, so why did he just run off? When he was taking care of the orphans as the priest-in-training, all I could think was "What about taking care of your own siblings, you dick?"

Kettch

My biggest problem with the show was the lack of focus on the music.

One of my favorite series, Nodame Cantabile, had an equally strong focus on the music, comedy and romance. While Kids on the Slope was DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA with a little side of music occasionally. Just not what I enjoy watching. :/

CloakBass

I skimmed through a bit of the manga and wow, I knew they must have cut a lot of the details out but some scenes are completely different. I don't know if that's better necessarily since I haven't read through it all, but it seems a lot of the pivotal moments operate on an entirely separate axis. At least from my cursory analysis it would be a worthwhile endeavor to give it a read.

TheOddOne

Started watching it last week and to my surprise I stuck with it. Although I was expecting more music, the relationship stuff was interesting. Usually I pick up fast where the story might go, but there were enough twist I did not anticipate. I thought most characters were decent, sounded and acted like stereotype anime characters – however Sentarō was all kinds of awesome.

Episode 12 – Decent ending and it didn’t feel rushed. Usually, from what I remember, anime shows always cram too much stuff in the last episode. Really felt like a mature ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom