• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror in Resonance announced - Shinichiro Watanabe, Yoko Kanno, Kazuto Nakazawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

http://terror-in-tokyo.com/

No official English title yet, but the website is up, so eh.

Fuji TV announced during its Noitamina Line Up 2014 event on Friday that it will premiere the original anime Zankyō no Terror (Terror of Resonance) in its Noitamina block this July. Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Kids on the Slope) is directing the anime at the studio Mappa. Yoko Kanno (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Kids on the Slope) is composing the music, and Kazuto Nakazawa (Samurai Champloo) is designing the characters.

trailer

QAmpYft.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only like the girls design.

Guy on the left looks like a reject from that swimming anime. And I'll bet 50 space bucks he does the 'adjusts glasses with one finger' shtick.

This announcement made me remember Tokyo Magnitude and how much i enjoyed it so at least i got something out of it.

Anyway, Watanabe yadda yadda Jazz yadda yadda and i hope it turns out to be good.

solomon

Twin towers reference In the back?
I'll probably check it out, but ive put off watching so much anime at this point.. time to hardcore marathon

duckroll

We had an agreeement dresden! What happened to the sensationalist tabloid thread title?! You coward! Now no one will read this thread! :(

Branduil

Kid on the right looks extremely trustworthy.

Trailer looks great and is dripping with atmosphere, as you'd expect from Watanabe and Kanno. How good the script is is going to matter a lot here, though.

This is not the thread title that was agreed upon.

We had an agreeement dresden! What happened to the sensationalist tabloid thread title?! You coward! Now no one will read this thread! :(

What was this?

i actually kinda enjoyed kids on the slope. the soundtrack especially.

i've only seen a few episodes of space dandy. it was...ehhh. has it improved since?

redhood56

Banned
The trailer looks really interesting. This will probably be the next anime I watch after Space Dandy ends( I don't watch much anime at all, but might give cowboy bebop a try)

i actually kinda enjoyed kids on the slope. the soundtrack especially.

i've only seen a few episodes of space dandy. it was...ehhh. has it improved since?

As far as I know, most episodes have different writers, directors, even art design or such. And some otherwise okay episodes have really good scenes. So you can't really say that the show overall "improves" or gets "worse."

Blader

Really hoping that THIS will be Watanabe's comeback. Kids on the Slope was okay and Space Dandy is all over the place, but even at their peaks, nothing in the shows excites me like Bebop and Champloo. I'm really holding out hope for something from Watanabe on that level again.

fake edit: well, at least the animation looks really great. If the music is any indication, maybe Yoko Kanno is dipping back into GitS-style guitar driven stuff?

duckroll

I wonder who is the writer? Either way it is awesome Watanabe is more active nowadays

Since it's not announced, the writer is probably either less known script writers doing what Watanabe tells them to, like with Kids on the Slope, or someone they can get more headlines with when they announce it later on.

Watanabe said a while ago that he's planning on being much more active starting with Kids on the Slope, and he wants to try making a new show every year at least. Looks like he's carrying out that promise so far.

Branduil

Since it's not announced, the writer is probably either less known script writers doing what Watanabe tells them to, like with Kids on the Slope, or someone they can get more headlines with when they announce it later on.

Watanabe said a while ago that he's planning on being much more active starting with Kids on the Slope, and he wants to try making a new show every year at least. Looks like he's carrying out that promise so far.

Do you think Space Dandy being more of a hands-off show, as far as individual episode directors and writers having lots of freedom, means he has more time to focus on this, which will presumably be a much more narrative-focused story?

duckroll

Wait... is he done with Space Dandy or is he working on both at the same time?

1-2 years ago Watanabe said he was working on two shows in the future. One was a space comedy at BONES, and the other would be something more serious at MAPPA. Space Dandy was supposed to start last year, and this show was due for this year. It looks like Space Dandy's broadcast was delayed to allow for the Toonami simulcast, but beyond that nothing has really changed. He was always working on both, and by the time actual production on this started Dandy was probably well into production.

Do you think Space Dandy being more of a hands-off show, as far as individual episode directors and writers having lots of freedom, means he has more time to focus on this, which will presumably be a much more narrative-focused story?

I don't really think Space Dandy is a hands-off show at all, but I think most of his time was taken up in pre-production for each episode rather than production. He was very much hands-on with regards to the scripts, the designs, and getting various people on board for Dandy, selecting the music, etc. Here he will probably do more storyboarding and actual direction though, so that's probably what you meant. Lol.

Blader

Is he having the same life crisis as Terrence Malick? Two shows in 15 years, now three shows in two years.

Not that I'm complaining

Branduil

1-2 years ago Watanabe said he was working on two shows in the future. One was a space comedy at BONES, and the other would be something more serious at MAPPA. Space Dandy was supposed to start last year, and this show was due for this year. It looks like Space Dandy's broadcast was delayed to allow for the Toonami simulcast, but beyond that nothing has really changed. He was always working on both, and by the time actual production on this started Dandy was probably well into production.

I don't really think Space Dandy is a hands-off show at all, but I think most of his time was taken up in pre-production for each episode rather than production. He was very much hands-on with regards to the scripts, the designs, and getting various people on board for Dandy, selecting the music, etc. Here he will probably do more storyboarding and actual direction though, so that's probably what you meant. Lol.
Yeah, the designs, music, and overall feel of Space Dandy obviously have the Watanabe vibe to them, but Space Dandy seems like much less of a show where he's going to tell the episode director, storyboarder, etc. to change something or rework something to fit a coherent and consistent vision.

I suppose we don't know that yet for sure, but I was assuming the guy with the glasses would be the main protagonist?

Well I doubt this show will have just one main character, but rather follow the interactions between the 3 we're seeing right now and not focus too much on any one POV. I suspected the girl is the central figure though.

Gazoinks

Well I doubt this show will have just one main character, but rather follow the interactions between the 3 we're seeing right now and not focus too much on any one POV. I suspected the girl is the central figure though.

Yeah. The plot preview says that the two boys were responsible for the terrorist business, so I doubt they're the protagonists. Guessing the girl is caught in the middle and we'll mostly follow her. She also has an actual name.

FluxWaveZ

I meant who the primary POV will be. At least, the website and the teaser seem to focus pretty strongly on Nine.

Meier

There was backlash against Kids on the Slope? It's amazing.

Space Dandy frankly is not very good but oh well, I'm still watching the episodes from Cartoon Network. I'm very excited about this new one.

I'll say I'll oblige and then forget to watch this just as I have with Space Dandy. Oh well. Let's hope it's more consistent in quality than Kinds on the Slop and Space Dandy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom