• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Brakke

Banned
The edible part peeks up from the ground when Parsnips are ripe.

Also, just hit 'A' while standing on one, and if it's ripe, you'll pick it! Actually, you can't even water ripe crops. You won't miss the big day.

Zzoram

How do I pick Yam?

I've planted many over time and they kinda grow but I've noticed I never pick any and I think they eventually just die.

JakeD

You can even just hold A as you walk over all your crops

Make sure you have a tool selected or else it will try to have you eating whatever you pick

All I'm doing at work is planning what I will accomplish when I get home.

I have winter coming up and trying to set everything up for artisan stuff every day all day. But there is such a huge up front cost to build all the kegs, pickles, mayonnaise machine and animals.

I'm praying I make enough to at least reach/buy ducks and goats before winter.

JakeD

One interesting thing that happened when I tried to get all animals by the end of the first year is I ran out of wood. There were just no more trees anywhere and the seedlings don’t grow in the winter. Ended up needing to buy a few hundred to finish my deluxe barn. Didn’t happen on my steam playthrough because I spaced out my big purchases over two years.

Could have been avoided if i planted trees more aggressively in the first spring

pariah164

Started this, finally. Can't seem to find the 8 people I need to finish the 'introduce yourself' mission. Tempted to just say screw it and return to farming/fishing. Picked the farm with lots of water because one of my favorite things to do in Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon is fish.

One interesting thing that happened when I tried to get all animals by the end of the first year is I ran out of wood. There were just no more trees anywhere and the seedlings don’t grow in the winter. Ended up needing to buy a few hundred to finish my deluxe barn. Didn’t happen on my steam playthrough because I spaced out my big purchases over two years.

Could have been avoided if i planted trees more aggressively in the first spring

Clear out the trees in the forest south of your farm. They auto repopulate.

But yeah, mid summer I realized how much I would need and started to replant some trees in the areas I could already clear with my copper tools.

Naar

Holy shit. I just restarted my game due to space issues and I picked the regular farm land and literally the space is almost 3 times the woodland area I chose previously.

Night and day difference

Mistle

This game is unacceptably broken :( I've had 15+ crashes in 60hrs I'd say. All before save, upon sleep. It's usually mining related but not always. Currently I've made 4 awesome attempts at the desert mine, getting beyong floor 50, and it has crashed every single time. Sometimes I pass out in desert, sometimes I make it back to bed, sometimes I deposit all my items before sleep, one I tried doing something else like fishing before bed and watering plants.... all crashed ;_; ugh.

Mumei

Only played this for 3h since release. Hasn't really clicked with me yet. I honestly need more direction from a game than this. It actually reminds me of Minecraft.

The game actually does give you direction if you follow the initial cues. Introducing yourself to people gets you started on the social aspect; planting and farming the parsnips will net your (probable) first skill increase; visiting the docks when you get the letter from Willy will introduce you to fishing; visiting the mines will introduce you to the Adventurer's Guild and getting your first ore will prompt a visit from Clint, giving you a new crafting design for Furnaces, which unlocks the ability to craft Bars from ore you've mined; walking into town after Spring 5 between 8 and 1 will trigger a cutscene
with Lewis introducing you to the Community Center
; checking the
glowing tile triggers another scene with the Wizard which allows you to start building bundles
, etc.

It doesn't straight up tell you "Do these things," but it actually does give you some guidance. It just lets you completely ignore it, too, if you want to.

Fireblend

Banned
Only played this for 3h since release. Hasn't really clicked with me yet. I honestly need more direction from a game than this. It actually reminds me of Minecraft.
That's a fair comparison. Maybe you can use the community center quest as a direction but there's still a ton of freedom on how to complete that.

Between the various "story" quest the game gives you and the community center I find it's the opposite of needing direction. I have so many directions its hard to know what to prioritize on. One suggestion I have is don't be afraid to look up where something is easily found.

About to enter my first Fall, I've still not build any building but I'm already at the 45th level of the mines. About to build a silo, clear a shit load of grass, and build a coop/barn during the fall so I can rely on those in winter. I have the level 3 axe and pick and about to get the level 3 watering can.

This game is hopelessly addicting.

Blues1990

Second Year and it's winter, and I'm so glad I got the Greenhouse all prepped. Endless supply of blueberries for wine, jam, and gifts!

Speaking of which, what are the most profitable fruits, vegetables, and other items you can farm?

This game is unacceptably broken :( I've had 15+ crashes in 60hrs I'd say. All before save, upon sleep. It's usually mining related but not always. Currently I've made 4 awesome attempts at the desert mine, getting beyong floor 50, and it has crashed every single time. Sometimes I pass out in desert, sometimes I make it back to bed, sometimes I deposit all my items before sleep, one I tried doing something else like fishing before bed and watering plants.... all crashed ;_; ugh.

When did these issues start to occur? I'm probably over 30 hours in at this point, but have not once experienced this glitch. I just wondering how widespread the issue is or what causes it.

Seaburger

Neo Member
Went to sleep and got the winter glitch. Now when I load the game it just plays the title screen and will not let me select anything. Anything to do besides wait for a patch?

Mumei

Second Year and it's winter, and I'm so glad I got the Greenhouse all prepped. Endless supply of blueberries for wine, jam, and gifts!

Speaking of which, what are the most profitable fruits, vegetables, and other items you can farm?

In terms of things that are easily purchased without completing any bundles or having learned to craft a seed maker or whatever, things like Strawberries, Hops, Melons, Red Cabbages (year two), Blueberries, Corn (if you start growing them in Summer and let them go all Fall), Cranberries, Grapes, Pumpkins, and the like all give lots of money. Basically, anything that is either expensive to buy and has a high sell price once you've grown it, or something that repeatedly gives you new harvests without making you replant.

If you have the ability to go to the Desert, you can get Star Fruit; if you've gotten your first Ancient Seed (either from getting lucky in the mines or with a Seed Maker), you can start working your way towards Ancient Fruit.

this is the most daunting thing I've done in a game, so frustrating to wait for a few Oak Resin per week

DMEiS_wVAAAu6jo.jpg

DMEiaBNUEAE5k-A.jpg

DMEigpZUQAA0RSD.jpg

any tips on how to get more Oak trees?

I have one more empty barn to fill

sleepnaught

this is the most daunting thing I've done in a game, so frustrating to wait for a few Oak Resin per week

Plant acorns

On my first Winter and just put together 80 quality sprinklers. Can't wait to start taking in the dough, I haven't even started in the Community Center. Planning on hitting that in year 2.

limlark

Okay, I give up. Apparently on PC you can right click to select one item out of a stack - how do you do that on the Switch?

Okay, I give up. Apparently on PC you can right click to select one item out of a stack - how do you do that on the Switch?

press Y

Are you tapping the trees all around town? A great spot is all of the trees at the bus stop and north forest

e: also interested in seeing your farm layout love what you are doing with the storage buildings

Ventara

I'm still wondering if it's better for upgraded can or I should go sprinker

If we're talking about the first sprinkler, it only waters the spots above, below, left and right, which I think is pretty worthless. The next level one waters all 8 squares surrounding it, and the next one is waters one square further, for 24 spots total. I was planning on holding out until the last one, but that might be a while, so I think I'll start using the 8-square sprinklers once spring rolls around.

Wow wtf, I'm around 50 too and so behind compared to you, for instance I only got like 300k overall so far, also that Energy bar is nuts, again wtf lol

He used cheats at least for the energy bar, that thing can't get this big by normal gameplay.

And no I am not accusing, he admitted doing so in this thread and even gave an explanation how it works, still very impressive what he has done with the farm.

Insaniac

is this the type of game that requires daily checking like in animal crossing? Or could I go for a week or month w/o playing it and not worry about things changing in the game?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If we're talking about the first sprinkler, it only waters the spots above, below, left and right, which I think is pretty worthless. The next level one waters all 8 squares surrounding it, and the next one is waters one square further, for 24 spots total. I was planning on holding out until the last one, but that might be a while, so I think I'll start using the 8-square sprinklers once spring rolls around.

Yeah, I feel like lv 1 sprinkler is crap compared to copper can which is 3 tiles watering in a single press, feels much more efficient

Jacobson

Started this, finally. Can't seem to find the 8 people I need to finish the 'introduce yourself' mission. Tempted to just say screw it and return to farming/fishing. Picked the farm with lots of water because one of my favorite things to do in Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon is fish.

The only thing I miss from the PC version is modding. The mod where you can check the map to see where the villagers are located is very useful.

is this the type of game that requires daily checking like in animal crossing? Or could I go for a week or month w/o playing it and not worry about things changing in the game?

The latter. Literally like harvest moon

He used cheats at least for the energy bar, that thing can't get this big by normal gameplay.

And no I am not accusing, he admitted doing so in this thread and even gave an explanation how it works, still very impressive what he has done with the farm.

Are there cheats on the Switch version?

Ventara

How do access these? I didnt know there were cheats :p

Didn't know either until it was posted. Here's the post.

this is my cheat file to test out cheats to see what works on Switch from the PC version, I did this by getting Stardrops from the naming trick
for example buy a chicken or cow and name it [434][645] you can use one number but I wanted to purchase 8 animals so the second number is an iridium sprinhkler.

as soon as the shopkeeper says the name of the animal you just purchased you get the items

if you want more go back to your barn and click on your animals to sell them and go back and buy new ones with new names, you can't buy 2 with the same name so use combo of numbers

a list of item numbers here

Warning: before you use this trick put any tool or sword away in a Chest at your farm because if you are carrying them sometimes they will turn into Stardrops and if you eat those goodbye Galaxy Sword :( You get new hoe or axe when you wake up but you'll have to upgrade them again so don't do this trick while carrying items you need they can glitch out

I am halfway through winter making slow bank on my artisan goods. I am now focused on giving every towns person a lifetime supply of mayonnaise in-between finally starting to fish. Those first 2 levels were ROUGH, Jesus.

I hope to be married come spring. I regret fucking up my gold star parsnips and melons spring/summer year 1 when I knew so little. Delayed my green house by a year. I have so many ancient fruit seeds ready to go. What else is recommended for the greenhouse?

Maybe 2 of each fruit tree so it's always in season for wine/pickling?

Top Bottom