• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City 5 to have in-game store

Tiu Neo

CRIME WAVES
The Evil Dr. Vu is loose and will create havoc in your city. Normal police have their hands full against this Super Villain. The Evil Dr. Vu will solicit Sims to become his henchmen and carry out his dastardly deeds.

SUPER HERO HQ
Place MaxisMan's headquarters in your city to combat crime and keep your Sims safe. Upgrade with the Turbo Machine garage and The Reticulator landing pad.

EVIL VILLAIN LAIR
Place Dr. Vu's Lair in your city to unleash a crime wave. As The Evil Dr. Vu commits more crimes, upgrade his lair with a special laboratory and a garage for the Evil VuMobile.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Crime Waves and Dr. Vu where included in the game, and you only had to pay for the Super Hero HQ.

Jac_Solar

Isn't that usually how it is? That's what it looked like when my wife was playing The Sims 3, where you could buy a different style of cabinets for $2 if that's your jam. Same with what I remember in Dead Space, wasn't it mostly just cosmetic changes to the guns? There's still enough there to feel like a full game, I could care less about different skins.

I'd consider locking cabinets away behind a paywall to be a bad thing for a game like Sims though.

If it's an extremely good game with tons of content, and the game developers are friendly, and struggling with money, I might condone different colored skins and hairstyles, but that is where I draw the line. Completely useless stuff. There should not be any exceptions, cause that would lead to developers/publishers trying to sell more and more essential content. And then the standard for DLC content becomes even more varied.

Retro

This is very off putting. Why do they do this when they know people will be repulsed by it?

SimCity is a strong brand with a long history and a loyal following, but not all of that following is as educated on gaming as they could be. My dad loved SC2k, and if he saw this in the store or on TV or plastered all over facebook, he'd probably buy it.

There's also a lot of people that don't have the kind of scruples or wherewithal to know or care what shoddy business practices like this mean to the industry as a whole. I'd say a lot of them also can't/don't want to believe that it will be less than they hope.

Basically, EA is counting on enough people who don't follow gaming and/or don't care about shady shenanigans like this to buy it. The same people who have 6000 friends on facebook to get free stuff for farmville and don't mind that it tries to scam them at every turn because "It's really neat, I have cows and a barn and corn and stuff!"

The problem is, it will work.

Acheron

Banned
I don't begrudge EA monetizing additional content. If you want the "Fairy Princess" tileset or that Heroes & Villains preorder stuff they've been advertising, you can buy it.

What sticks in my craw, is that the game is already missing a lot of core functions SimCity fans expected. We also think that this may impact modding which was key for SimCity 4.

Partition

Banned
The reason this upsets me is because it basically confirms they will do what they did with Sims 3.

In TS3, they left out something iconic to the franchise, the hot tubs, for future DLC. Or how they stock the base game with an extremely limited amount of hairstyles but immediately shove ones you can buy down your throat.

Subways in this game will end up DLC. Maybe you can even purchase more land with real money to expand your tiny ass city. I hate EA.

Retro

What sticks in my craw, is that the game is already missing a lot of core functions SimCity fans expected. We also think that this may impact modding which was key for SimCity 4.

Oh god, the volume of mods and custom content you could download for the Sims and Sims 2 was insane. There was this crazed community that lived vicariously through the games and generated a metric fuckton of modifications and build/buy items. If I remember correctly, Maxis even made a "Content Loader" app so people could import content easier, and they were really supportive of people making custom meshes and such.

All of that went away with The Sims 3, when EA made it harder to mod the game, harder to install custom content, harder to get that custom content to work correctly, and limited the number of items around which content could be produced. For example, in the Sims 2, people had gaming tables and stuff with custom interactions (so it's not just for looks, the sims could actually play it, with animations and sound and everthing). I'm pretty sure it utilized Lua scripting. In the Sims3, you can't run any kind of scripts like that without first modifying the game heavily.

In short, they had a ferociously loyal, creative community that worshipped the game, and they took out their knees for a quick buck. If you compare the custom content from Sims2 to Sims3, it's absurd how much the community has moved away from the game (or moved back to the Sims2, which apparently still has a really strong base).

The reason this upsets me is because it basically confirms they will do what they did with Sims 3.

In TS3, they left out something iconic to the franchise, the hot tubs, for future DLC. Or how they stock the base game with an extremely limited amount of hairstyles but immediately shove ones you can buy down your throat.

This person knows what I mean. For me, it wasn't hot tubs though, it was pool tables. Took them all the way to the obnoxious Kary Perry-branded Superstar expansion to get both of them in, years later. Both of those features were free and part of the base Sims game. I think, hot tubs might have been Living Large? I know Pool Tables were in the base game.

Rflagg

I never felt cheated with sims 3 added cash dlc stuff the game still felt complete without getting that stuff. I only have the original game, however, so it might have become worse after the expansions.
I also never had an issue with online passes I thought it was a fair way to deal with used games. The card packs in Madden are stupidly overpriced so it requires a lot of grinding and/or real cash, but that mode feels unneeded so it doesn't affect me.

Bottom line I will wait to see what this cash shop has before jumping up in rage over this as I have never felt any of this stuff (not just talking with EA but all the games I own with stuff like this) was needed to enjoy a game so far.

e5RyKzV.jpg

"Help us, Obi Wan Will Wright. You're our only hope."

HoosTrax

Might be a stupid question since there doesn't seem to be many other city builder games period other than Tropico, Cities XL, and various older games of the Caesar persuasion. But are there any that let modders make their own buildings that players can download?

Berordn

Might be a stupid question since there doesn't seem to be many other city builder games period other than Tropico, Cities XL, and various older games of the Caesar persuasion. But are there any that let modders make their own buildings that players can download?

Simcity 3000 and Simcity 4 do, ironically. Simcity 4's mod community's kept the game alive, they're worth checking out.

Smokey

Not sure how anyone could even be surprised by this. From everything I've seen, there's plenty of game to be had in the original package. And guess what - don't like the microtransactions? Don't buy 'em! I've never bought anything like that and have been getting along just fine.

Pretty much. Dudes always catch feelings on this stuff.

Don't like it don't use it... Simple. There's other legitimate stuff to bitch about such as the DRM.

HoosTrax

Simcity 3000 and Simcity 4 do, ironically. Simcity 4's mod community's kept the game alive, they're worth checking out.
Nice, good to know. I think I actually have a CD with 3000 on it that I got along with SimThemePark.

Seems like the type of genre that's ripe for player-made creations as long as the game itself doesn't try to get in the way in the name of selling DLC. Even total conversions like Mars colonies (please tell me there already is a mod for this).

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
if it doesn't affect my gameplay i don't see the problem

I agree. I had a great time with the beta. In reading/listening to comments from people who had access to more of the full game it seems the beta was extremely limited in comparison. I will really enjoy it. Me and my brother already have plans for our neighboring cities.

Not going to let microtransactions/DLC get in the way of a good time. Not sure why people get so worked up about in-game purchases. Seems every game has them nowadays. Don't like them, don't buy them.

Did any single person anywhere actually expect anything else than this?

EA do what they do, their goal is to make you spend as much as possible, accept it or move on to other games. Stuff like this will happen to every single one of their games. If they do Mirrors Edge 2, then you can be certain that they will add microtransactions/DLC to that also.

We shouldn't hope for them to change, it won't happen. We should hope for other companies to step up and do their own city building game. The actual name SimCity means nothing, it's all about the concept and the gameplay mechanics.

Raven77

I find it hilarious that when I posted in the Dead Space 3 topic about how bad it was that that game has an in game real money store for stuff everyone basically verbally abused me as being an idiot.

You would be amazed at the number of gamers who don't realize how bad this kind of thing could get.

Kunan

Always amusing to see people shitting the bed as they psychically divine how something they have no details about is going to play out
There is a difference between "no details" and making logical conclusions based on EA's recent history with Maxis titles, in particular, and their iOS in-app-purchase strategy.

People who bitch about stuff like this and then buy it anyway? YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

This, this, this, this, this.

Guarantee 90% of this thread is buying the game. Also the point about companies misconstruing low sales into "oh they must not want this genre" crosses my mind a lot too. It's a shame SimCity will be dead after this if it doesn't sell and they'll blame it on poor sales. Yeah, poor sales because we don't want you robbing us blind.

Retro

Don't like it don't use it... Simple. There's other legitimate stuff to bitch about such as the DRM.

Oh, there's plenty of bitching about the DRM, Forced Origin install, required internet connection even for single player and failure to utilize multicore systems in the other SimCity thread. But since this one is about the in-game store, that's what we're talking about here.

As for it not being a legitimate complaint, most of us believe it is, as EA has shown they aren't afraid to cut features in the name of selling Expansions or DLC. Since the store ties into that marketing scheme by depriving players of game elements they once got (and we feel, should still get) for free and making them pay out the nose for it, it's perfectly valid to make the case against the practice.

People who bitch about stuff like this and then buy it anyway? YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

They already got me once on The Sims 3. I held out hope like a lot of the SimCity people are that it wouldn't be as bad as I thought. I was very very very much wrong. I definitely won't be buying SC5, not even when they eventually 'fix' it. I'm done supporting EA, period.

There is a difference between "no details" and making logical conclusions based on EA's recent history with Maxis titles, in particular, and their iOS in-app-purchase strategy.

Also; the link in the first post around which this thread is based; evidence from the leaked manual that shows there's going to be an in-game store with "special add-ons" that "provide new gameplay possibilities". It says there are some free ones, but TheSims store had 'free' stuff too; a Fanta-branded T-Shirt and refrigerator and a couple halloween doodads.

I don't understand the "You don't know all the facts!" argument when this thread is all about the confirmation of a long-suspected fact.

vio

This keeps getting worse and worse. But it is not really surprising is it? After success of Battlefield 3, they will try same with every game. 60$ "full game" which is kinda f2p...

This, this, this, this, this.

Guarantee 90% of this thread is buying the game. Also the point about companies misconstruing low sales into "oh they must not want this genre" crosses my mind a lot too. It's a shame SimCity will be dead after this if it doesn't sell and they'll blame it on poor sales. Yeah, poor sales because we don't want you robbing us blind.

Maybe for $5 2 years from now but certainly not @ $50/60.

Perkel

Banned
Possibly this.

Is Sim City 4 any good?

My interest in Sim City has been perked a little with some of the stuff regarding 5, but I'd prefferable like a good version of the game that a.) doesn't ask me to micro-transaction everytime I turn it on and b.) doesn't require me to install Origin.

Here is GAF plays SimCity4 (made by me) and here is screenshot:

And region to play with (bigger than small europen country. open in new page and see it in full glory !)

Hey guys, here's an idea. Don't buy stuff in it, the game either way. Crazy I know. Also, wait for mods.

Beta was already incredibly small and low in content and still fun as hell. Full game will be a blast.

Polk

I guess I just feel like that kind of stuff should be included in the game you paid $60 for.
As much I would like everything be included in tha base game noone promised anything more than they deliver. Everything else id up to negotiations.
Plus I'm pretty sure we had to buy different graphics sets for original game as well.

I'm not interested due to the always online and the city size, but if there's any game that could actually benefit from dlc i would think this would be it..Sim city has never had nearly enough building variety to please me although 4 was close.

HoosTrax

I'm not interested due to the always online and the city size, but if there's any game that could actually benefit from dlc i would think this would be it..Sim city has never had nearly enough building variety to please me although 4 was close.
What you're interested in could just as easily be achieved through player-made content.

I had a fun time playing the demo, but man, I remember buying Sims 3 and just feeling like I was playing Sims Lite with quite a bit of missing content. I don't want those feels again.

KaYotiX

Banned
Buying the deluxe version and I don't care at all if there is a micro-transaction store in game. If I like something ill buy it if not I wont. No use complaining about something that will never get fixed.

Just look at this gen, micro-transactions are here forever

What you're interested in could just as easily be achieved through player-made content.

Navigating the player made content is a nightmare though. I'd rather pay for it than spend hours combing through buildings and trying to find the right dependencies, that may or may not be hosted at the time.

HoosTrax

Navigating the player made content is a nightmare though. I'd rather pay for it than spend hours combing through buildings and trying to find the right dependencies, that may or may not be hosted at the time.
NexusMods and Steam Workshop (if we're talking in general) say "hi".

Jac_Solar

What people need to realise is that if you accept one form of shoddy DLC practice that saves them time and money, and support/buy it, they will most likely try another form that saves them even more money and time. This isn't true for every publisher or developer, but it's true for EA.

Do you think that they won't cut more features from the next game if the community isn't vocal about something cut from the current game, or if the sales are good?

Since the community accepted the current form of DLC, they will most likely move on to another form, to try and make the most amount of money.

They know what they are doing. They won't start with something outrageous since the standard has sort of been set. They don't want to risk losing any sales, so they will try to lower the standard for accepting DLC by gradually increasing the amount of DLC per game, relative to genre and/or IP.

If there wasn't an outrage over the horse armor by Bethesda, the DLC standard might be even worse than it is.

Card Boy

Banned
* Always online DRM
* Origin Exclusive
* Cash store
* $60
* Possibly 20 expansion packs.

So why isn't this free again?

Top Bottom