• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City 5 to have in-game store

Cdammen

Ugh. Why not include a nice mod community for free like the Steam thing. I love it for Skyrim. One-click install of mods makes it super-accessible.

JoshHood

How is this news? There are four/five different preorder packs - did people assume they wouldn't be for sale seperately?

My opinion on this is the same as with all DLC: of it doesn't affect my original game, and offers me additional content to optionally enjoy at a later date, where's the issue?

ruttyboy

The fact that the game is fun perhaps? Small point I know but its the little things like that which make me want to buy a game.

So if you really enjoyed golf, but after every round someone kicked you in the face you'd still play?

Your assertion that you should only take one factor into consideration when making a buying decision is bizarre. Weigh up the pros and cons and decide based on an overall picture. This happens to be a con for most people and can be enough to tip the balance into 'not buy'.

suedester

Banned
So if you really enjoyed golf, but after every round someone kicked you in the face you'd still play?

Your assertion that you should only take one factor into consideration when making a buying decision is bizarre. Weigh up the pros and cons and decide based on an overall picture. This happens to be a con for most people and can be enough to tip the balance into 'not buy'.

The main overwhelming reason for me to buy a game is if it's fun. That is the whole point to gaming afterall. The fact the game has a store doesn't come into it and I fail to see how that can take away from my enjoyment of the game. I'm not being forced to buy anything from it and neither is anyone else.

I can see why always online DRM can be a con if you have a poor internet connection and the small city sizes are no doubt disappointing but I struggle to see why having a store can be seen as a negative. People just like bitching about EA.

ruttyboy

The main overwhelming reason for me to buy a game is if it's fun. That is the whole point to gaming afterall. The fact the game has a store doesn't come into it and I fail to see how that can take away from my enjoyment of the game. I'm not being forced to buy anything from it and neither is anyone else.

I can see why always online DRM can be a con if you have a poor internet connection and the small city sizes are no doubt disappointing but I struggle to see why having a store can be seen as a negative. People just like bitching about EA.

It's because people take the long term view that companies will always push as far as they can in reducing the value proposition (ie. what you actually get for your money), which is fair enough as that's their job as evil corporate entities. However, it's our job as consumers to resist them as much as possible.

By not resisting an attempt to change the balance of power (which is what this is really, along with DLC/online passes/microtransactions etc. etc. etc.) in that relationship you are helping them to charge you more in return for less, ie. making your own position worse.

suedester

Banned
It's because people take the long term view that companies will always push as far as they can in reducing the value proposition (ie. what you actually get for your money), which is fair enough as that's their job as evil corporate entities. However, it's our job as consumers to resist them as much as possible.

By not resisting an attempt to change the balance of power (which is what this is really, along with DLC/online passes/microtransactions etc. etc. etc.) in that relationship you are helping them to charge you more in return for less, ie. making your own position worse.

I make a judgement call. If I think what I get in the box is worth what I'm paying for it then I will buy it. What essential component do you think Maxis are holding back that they will make you pay for in the future?

Perkel

Banned
So SimCity became SimsVillage

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

I am not even mad. I just don't care anymore.

ruttyboy

I make a judgement call. If I think what I get in the box is worth what I'm paying for it then I will buy it. What essential component do you think Maxis are holding back that they will make you pay for in the future?

I don't know, I haven't been following Simcity specifically, my interest lies more in the bigger picture, long term consequences of this sort of thing. I replied to you originally because you were trying to dismiss people's legitimate concerns which I felt was unfair.

To try and answer your question anyway though, I think they've missed out subways, it seems such a glaring omission would be either due to problems in development or a preconceived plan to offer this arguably essential content later for a price.

Basically, when it comes to this sort of stuff, if you only consider the specific case at hand and ignore the downside 'as a one-off' then things get worse for everyone first and eventually yourself as the effects of this creep into more and more things to a greater and greater extent, by which time, it's too late.

Top Bottom