• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

You ran out quite quickly, you remind me of a certain meat head who always needs to be fed. Feed Heavy More?

Ryback isn't a total meat head, he's solid on the mic in short bursts. With the material the writers give him, can you blame him. He's doing the best he can

j6AOB21BY00iA.jpg

...lol

Diablos54

Ryback isn't a total meat head, he's solid on the mic in short bursts. With the material the writers give him, can you blame him. He's doing the best he can
He had one crappy food promo, I wouldn't call that solid. He is improving though, I won't mind as long as he stays away from the WWE/WHC titles.

Eideka

Banned
I agree with Reggie I have COD on 360 and Wii U... It looks sharper and better on Wii U. However I will refrain from saying it's stellar.

Wait till we get games next year that look much improved.. Impressive for ports in 6-7 months with new hardware and outdated development kits..

You are the undisputed king of damage control.

I'm impressed, seriously.

gryz

Banned
do the 3rd party ports even seem bad to anyone outside of the internet?

honestly black ops 2 seems fine to me and the fact that you can play it on the gamepad still makes it the definitive version IMO.

honestly black ops 2 seems fine to me and the fact that you can play it on the gamepad still makes it the definitive version IMO.

Not really. If you check out Miiverse, there are a ton of people convincing others to buy the Wii U version of the game so that they can build up the community. Some are mentioning the differences in the SP versus MP but that doesnt seem to be getting many negative responses

I think there's a genuine interest in Nintendo fans wanting 3rd party games like COD on the system so they are active

plank

I won't say it looks "dramatically" better. To me at least there really isn't any difference at all.

KageMaru

I've been playing call of duty on wii u and I think it does look better.

I think you need glasses. Care to grab pics from DF's comparison shots the support how it looks better?

I have been playing it too. The game looks way better on the gamepad then the 360 (I rented it) and PS3 version (I own this version). But on the big screen, it looks identical to the other versions with the exception of better lighting effects.

The smaller screen and lower resolution helps to hide the flaws, that's why it looks better. No different than the low res gifs people like to post when trying to prove a point (and failing) about graphics.

Because people don't like to support companies that lie? Reggie is the mouthpiece for Nintendo, it is Nintendo lying. He isn't some low level know-nothing who isnt supposed to talk to the media.

If ninetdo is honorable, they need to make reggie apologize and/or fire him.

Believe it or not, some people think lying for monetary gain is immoral.

To be fair, they aren't the only company that lies. Something something "Full HD" "era of jaggies is over" something something.

The colors and lighting are better than PS3 and 360. Why is everyone on Reggie's ass? It does indeed look better and when the developers actually start diving into the tech the graphics will continue to look better and almost on par with the next gen sony and microsoft systems

Yup you need glasses. Either that or you have no idea what you're talking about. Especially if you think wii-U games will almost be on par with ps4/720 games.

cRIPticon

Fun hyperbole.

The Wii U online system is unfathomably bad. The audio output options are incomprehensibly limited. The controller is a brobdingnagian nightmare.

There's a place down the street that claims to have the galaxy's best burgers. I don't really hold it against them. But somehow it feels worse, more (lets say) egregious, when this sort of thing happens in person, in interview.

Worked overtime to slide that one in here eh? :)

Clearly a very incorrect thing to say. The games look fine for the most part, but performance is another issue entirely. Even if they performed well, his statement is all jacked up on bullshit.

Exactly. If I DO end up picking up BLOPS 2 (which is still debatable) I'll be grabbing it for the Wii U. The gamepad play is a fantastic feature and the smaller userbase may actually be a positive in this case. The Wii U communtiy is quite friendly and I can't stand the majority of the 360 COD community.

Not really. If you check out Miiverse, there are a ton of people convincing others to buy the Wii U version of the game so that they can build up the community.

Yes, most consumers won't notice but the problem is these ports offer no incentive to purchase when you can get a 360 or PS3 for 200 bucks that have massive libraries and the system your friends are already on.

The gamepad isn't a good incentive to jump in on this thing. The gamepad uses are trivial additions to gameplay so far, it'll take time before it's used really well consistently.

QaaQer

Are you from another planet?

Look, what he said is blatantly false. He's obviously lying. I can't imagine anyone disputing that. But have you ever watched a dude selling product sell product before? Ever? Have you ever watched an infomercial? Have you ever watched a press conference for a product launch? An investors' call?

People getting upset about Reggie lying are either trolling, or radically uninformed, or must spend every waking minute of their lives freaking out about company mouthpieces lying.

I was answering a question about why someone would feel icky for supporting a company that blatantly lies to potential customers.

If I found out that the head of marketing for any company was outright lying in order to push product, I wouldn't want to reward that company.

I think most people (?) when they find out someone has lied to their face in order to get money out of them would classify it as contemptible. And I know if it happens in the financial industry, you can go to jail for it. But I guess because it is video games, it doesn't matter?

I think you need glasses. Care to grab pics from DF's comparison shots the support how it looks better?

The smaller screen and lower resolution helps to hide the flaws, that's why it looks better. No different than the low res gifs people like to post when trying to prove a point (and failing) about graphics.

To be fair, they aren't the only company that lies. Something something "Full HD" "era of jaggies is over" something something.

Yup you need glasses. Either that or you have no idea what you're talking about. Especially if you think wii-U games will almost be on par with ps4/720 games.

"I think you need glasses."

It is matter of opinion so there is no need to insult people. Maybe you should change your name to Digital Foundry or Lens of Truth since what you post obviously is fact. Right?

gryz

Banned

if you need to scrutinize a bunch of comparison shots to be tell the difference between the two it means they're pretty much the same.

Yes, most consumers won't notice but the problem is these ports offer no incentive to purchase when you can get a 360 or PS3 for 200 bucks that have massive libraries and the system your friends are already on.

The gamepad isn't a good incentive to jump in on this thing. The gamepad uses are trivial additions to gameplay so far, it'll take time before it's used really well consistently.

being able to play ports of the game on the gamepad while watching something else on tv is not trivial.

Reggie used to be quite a cool guy. He's become more and more of a lying PR guy as time has gone by. I used to really like him but I don't that much anymore.

The colors and lighting are better than PS3 and 360. Why is everyone on Reggie's ass? It does indeed look better and when the developers actually start diving into the tech the graphics will continue to look better and almost on par with the next gen sony and microsoft systems

EDIT; I've been playing Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii U and it looks like an HD game now. It kind of did before but now the colors are more vibrant and the framerate is smooth as hell. If Nintendo can do that with an "aging" tech, then I cannot wait to see what they do with an HD console

I agree with Reggie I have COD on 360 and Wii U... It looks sharper and better on Wii U. However I will refrain from saying it's stellar.

Wait till we get games next year that look much improved.. Impressive for ports in 6-7 months with new hardware and outdated development kits..

I'm pretty sure if someone showed you two the same screenshot but one marked 360 and the other marked Wii U, you would find some way to convince yourselves that the latter looked better. You're in for a surprise next year if you think the Wii U is going to match up to PS4/720. But by that point the Nintendo fanboy argument will switch back to "graphics don't matter" so the cycle will continue.

I won't say it looks "dramatically" better. To me at least there really isn't any difference at all.
This. All these people saying the WiiU version looks better are probably confusing differences in gamma with actual improvements in graphic fidelity. The PS3 version's AA solution absolutely degrades the IQ compared to the other versions, but the 360/WiiU versions are on par with each other, until you factor in framerate drops on WiiU.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Frankly, not that I can tell. Outside the hardcore tier of the internet, nobody even cares that NSMB games have "bah" in them.

Going by Miiverse and some comments I've seen in game stores, from normal people, the only games that have a general negative impression are Epic Mickey 2 and Batman. A lot of people do see that Batman runs noticeably poorly in comparison to the other console versions.

This is not to excuse the issues with launch ports; they shouldn't be there. The shadowing shouldn't be screwed up in BO2. But generally speaking, bear in mind some perspective: people care about playing games so long as they look decent and play pretty well. BO2 runs fine in multiplayer so that's what matters to joe average.

Codeblue

I was answering a question about why someone would feel icky for supporting a company that blatantly lies to potential customers.

If I found out that the head of marketing for any company was outright lying in order to push product, I wouldn't want to reward that company.

I think most people (?) when they find out someone has lied to their face in order to get money out of them would classify it as contemptible. And I know if it happens in the financial industry, you can go to jail for it. But I guess because it is video games, it doesn't matter?

His point was that every company at one point or another has lied and you have probably supported them. Doesn't make it any less contemptible, but if you were going to boycott liars, you'd probably be homeless.

Frankly, not that I can tell. Outside the hardcore tier of the internet, nobody even cares that NSMB games have "bah" in them.

Going by Miiverse and some comments I've seen in game stores, from normal people, the only games that have a general negative impression are Epic Mickey 2 and Batman. A lot of people do see that Batman runs noticeably poorly in comparison to the other console versions.

This is not to excuse the issues with launch ports; they shouldn't be there. The shadowing shouldn't be screwed up in BO2. But generally speaking, bear in mind some perspective: people care about playing games so long as they look decent and play pretty well. BO2 runs fine in multiplayer so that's what matters to joe average.

If that's the case, there's no reason at all for 3rd parties to even try on wii U.

What incentive is there to buy a Wii U? What is the hook? Think about it. With the 360 and PS3 there were a number of factors:

* much improved graphics right off the bat
* jump to HD
* Xbox Live and online in general becoming a huge part of the experience
* blu-ray

What is there for the Wii U? The graphics are the same, the games are the same, the gamepad has done little to nothing to improve or change gameplay (opposite of the Wiimote), the online is lacking major features the others have had for half a decade, what's the incentive here? NSMBU? Playing on a low res screen that has a 2-3 hour battery life? This is why this thing is floundering at the moment, imo.

being able to play ports of the game on the gamepad while watching something else on tv is not trivial.
It has a 3 hour battery life, a mediocre LCD screen, and can't even be taken out of the house.

Amir0x

Banned
The colors and lighting are better than PS3 and 360. Why is everyone on Reggie's ass? It does indeed look better

because it doesn't and there have already been extensive technical analysis that show this, not just your "gut feeling." At the absolute best most optimistic possible assessment of the result, one can say the Wii U game looks almost as good as the 360 version. If you were a PR person, you could maybe push this to "on par". And that's as close as it gets.

and when the developers actually start diving into the tech the graphics will continue to look better and almost on par with the next gen sony and microsoft systems

man these posts are getting wild and audacious now, just hilarious

yeah a system with a crippled CPU and horrifically slow RAM that has trouble competing with this generation is going to be capable of games 'almost on par' with two systems using technology from 2011 for its system, compared to tech from 2007.

All fanboys are delusional, of course... but good lord

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm disconcertingly depressed by this. Reggie's always been arrogant but at least, IMO, he had a good grasp on reality and when confronted with hard truths about the Wii, he would use his silver tongue to duck and weave, not outright lie.

It suggests an underlying sense of desperation and/or obliviousness that as a new Wii U owner is actually pretty scary.

What incentive is there to buy a Wii U? What is the hook? Think about it. With the 360 and PS3 there were a number of factors:

* jump to HD
* blu-ray

What is there for the Wii U? The graphics are the same, the games are the same, the gamepad has done little to nothing to improve or change gameplay (opposite of the Wiimote), the online is lacking major features the others have had for half a decade, what's the incentive here? NSMBU? This is why this thing is floundering at the moment, imo.
For you? No idea!

For me....

WiiU:

1. off tv play
2. Nintendo IPs
3. Exclusives (ZombiU, Bayonetta 2)
4. Miiverse
5. TVii

PS3:

1. Bluray
2. MGS 4

Xbox360:

1. Halo 3
2. Gears of War

Meelow

Banned

* jump to HD
* blu-ray

What is there for the Wii U? The graphics are the same, the games are the same, the gamepad has done little to nothing to improve or change gameplay (opposite of the Wiimote), the online is lacking major features the others have had for half a decade, what's the incentive here? NSMBU? Playing on a low res screen that has a 2-3 hour battery life? This is why this thing is floundering at the moment, imo.

The Wii U also has jump to HD, much improved graphics right off the bat, and blu-ray if you only had a Wii last generation.

As got the online it can improve over time, like the PSN and XBL. Nobody expected it to be perfect by day 1.

I'm disconcertingly depressed by this. Reggie's always been arrogant but at least, IMO, he had a good grasp on reality and when confronted with hard truths about the Wii, he would use his silver tongue to duck and weave, not outright lie.

It suggests an underlying sense of desperation and/or obliviousness that as a new Wii U owner is actually pretty scary.

He's a PR, people shouldn't be scared of the Wii U because he says the games on Wii U is better, this will happen with the PS4/720 as well.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Can't be a lot of companies you'd want to reward then, as basically every company will, if given the chance, lie and spin to make their product(s) look superior to the competition.

The Wii U also has jump to HD, much improved graphics right off the bat, and blu-ray if you only had a Wii last generation.

The Wii U doesn't play BD movies AFAIK.

QaaQer

His point was that every company at one point or another has lied and you have probably supported them. Doesn't make it any less contemptible, but if you were going to boycott liars, you'd probably be homeless.

Fair enough. But when a high level executive does it on CNN, well...

Top Bottom