• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Revven

I saw a scan that had Launch in it, is she going to be playable??

That was a CaC, they have CaC outfit pieces in the game that allows you to essentially recreate characters that aren't in the roster and Launch is one of them as well as Devilman, Mr. Popo, and Master Roshi.

Kane1345

The goal of this game for the devs was to make it feel like you were performing the combat/actions so cutscenes are far and few within actual battles -- supers generally just have special camera angles that only affect you and the other player doesn't see them. They wanted to keep the battles moving and not pause for a cutscene for any length of time.

So, even though planet destruction isn't actually deconfirmed it's likely not in for the reasons above.

Thanks for the response. I just hope that the ultimate attacks feel and look powerful.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the environments are destructible during a fight? Like say a missed energy blast can smash rocks etc

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
p7ajr71.png

Ginyu Vegeta is the best Vegeta.

Revven

EDIT: Does anyone know if the environments are destructible during a fight? Like say a missed energy blast can smash rocks etc

The environments have destructible pieces, yes. But not everything is destructible. This is a crossgen game so... they're limited by PS360 in a lot of areas and that was one of them. Like, if a blast hits the ground and creates a crater the crater disappears after a few seconds.

There's rocks, structures, and buildings to destroy though and those are permanently destroyed in a fight.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Most of the issues people seem to have with this game (Roster Division, missing characters compared to others, etc) can probably be blamed on the fact this is a Create-a-character game, first and foremost.

Cell's imperfect forms would feature a tail that grows with a "mouth", which he'd probably use for attacks. How would this move be shared amongst CAW characters without such tails? It's be a nice additional race, but hey, I'd like to see an android race, myself...

Frieza's OTHER forms have odd anatomy, and most of the visual identity of them (Horns and armor plates) can be shared on default Frieza bodies, otherwise.

As far as making certain transformations separate, a "full character slot" probably has more unique properties (Larger moveset, more original combo strings) to them than a transformation. Considering this is a game with Mentors for your CAW, being able to learn a slot's full repertoire rather than just getting 1 move from them as an aside to a "full" character is probably a preference.

Personally, I'd decently impressed with what I'm seeing, especially as a "Create a Warrior" game. They've expanded the roster in one of the best ways for this type of game (sticking alt moves onto variations of the cast), and they've also well integrated the system into the game (so that even significant characters have loads of costume variations).

I could care less about roster number, if the roster is well built. For example, I hated how later DBZ games stopped giving each form of Cell his proper voices. It happened in the earlier games, where they focused all their attention on fewer sagas, but as they expanded, the attention to detail, not just on small things, but also on movesets and presentation, started to deteriorate.

This particular games looks like it's got a meaty SP experience, and solid Multiplayer that even offers 3 on 3, which is impressive. Place all of that atop an actually well-developed fighting system that seems worth learning.

Pretty good for the first DBZ game that's also on the new consoles! I'll expect greater destruction once we're out of cross-gen / focus on a more purely one-on-one fighter.

NZerker12

This game touches on GT but not really any of the movies so movie content isn't in there very much sans the hidden character,
Broly
and the Battle of Gods stuff.

Because they prioritized other characters/forms instead for this game. People wanted GT so we got SSJ4 Gogeta instead of the Z roster being more complete than it is. That and the movies weren't really a focus for this game.

Even so,was it so hard to simply add ssj Gogeta, I mean they are even missing adult gohans ssj forms aswell and those weren't from a movie.

Don't get me wrong the game looks really good, but I just find it baffling why they couldn't add other forms for characters.

Revven

Even so,was it so hard to simply add ssj Gogeta, I mean they are even missing adult gohans ssj forms aswell and those weren't from a movie.

Don't get me wrong the game looks really gold, but I just find it baffling why they couldn't add other forms for characters.

We don't know if Adult Gohan doesn't have SSJ, waiting until people who have the game to unlock everything. The roster in the OP isn't quite complete because it comes from a guidebook (not a strategy guide, yes there's a difference, guidebooks don't reveal everything) that's translated from 2ch.

SSJ Gogeta would take some work because they can't just take SSJ4 Gogeta and give him gold hair, they'd have to do some remodeling and they would want to give him unique strings/animations based on his fighting style from the movie. Plus, new moves as well like the famous Stardust Breaker.

This isn't the same game like the Tenkaichis where they copy/paste fighting styles across characters. This is more like the Budokais where every character has unique animations and fight differently -- you have to learn them. It isn't a one button fighter like the Naruto Storm games or Raging Blast.

Kane1345

The environments have destructible pieces, yes. But not everything is destructible. This is a crossgen game so... they're limited by PS360 in a lot of areas and that was one of them. Like, if a blast hits the ground and creates a crater the crater disappears after a few seconds.

There's rocks, structures, and buildings to destroy though and those are permanently destroyed in a fight.

Ah, again thanks for the response! :)

There are 9 streams going on atm on Live.

Looks really good to me. Loving the character creation stuff. The capsules are in use and holy cow it's a unique story within the DBZ universe! Awesome.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. One dude has over 1k viewers on Live

Ssj4 Gogeta is my second favorite (first is Gohan) man Gogeta ssj4 was so freakin badass he only uses his legs to fight, omega Shenron got wrecked during the few minutes Goku and vegeta were fused boy I miss him so much and he is the reason am buying this game
Ahh gohan is also my number 1! Teen gohan that is. I dont like adult gohan, he became a fucking lame.

WOW! This is probably the closest we will get to a Dragonball RPG after the Legacy of Goku series
and the MMO probably (Would love to see Bioware take a crack honestly). Will definitely purchase.

Advance Warning: Multiplayer will be guaranteed full of female Majin's called Lamp
Also, why male Majin gotta be fat? Why can't we look like Super or perhaps Kid Buu?

Yeah, what's the deal with this Lamp character? There's a ton of fanart of her out on the net as well.

Alienous

Having played the PS3 network beta I'm extremely skeptical about how this game will play.

n1lyYoF.gif

But god damn if it doesn't just look cool in certain moments. I hope it's good. I await the opinion of fellow GAFers.

Oh shit, I had absolutely no idea!

Don't get me wrong the game looks really good, but I just find it baffling why they couldn't add other forms for characters.
To be fair I think most of their work went on the original story and character creator, which is probably better than just throwing in characters.

jax

Banned
Fuck, I thought this was coming out Thursday everywhere. But now I have to wait until March.. Damn.

Having played the PS3 network beta I'm extremely skeptical about how this game will play.

n1lyYoF.gif

But god damn if it doesn't just look cool in certain moments. I hope it's good. I await the opinion of fellow GAFers.

im buying for the story mode. if the online is even a little fun thats a bonus.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pls be good. I've wanted to play a decent DBZ game but nothing has really done anything for me since Budokai 3.

FootballFan

I've been hyping this game in footballGAF for a long time now.

Pre-ordered it quite a while ago, really excited, this game just seems different from the previous Dbz games, in a good way

Astral

I'm kinda curious about creating a female Saiyan. Can you go Super Saiyan? Also, why the FUCK would I wanna be Krillin's apprentice?

elhav

So no Cell imperfect or semi perfect?
His semi perfect form was so pathetic, it was unbelievable. I mean, f'ing Tien managed to make him his bitch for a few minutes.

His imperfect form was terrifying though, so at least including that would have been nice.

DedValve

Banned
Can adult gohan not go super saiyain in this one? I'm gonna end up with Ultimate Gohan anyways but I always liked SSJ Adult Gohan in Goku's gi.

Also I hope this game has a shit ton of costumes for the main cast. I'd be sad if we can't use some of the CC costumes on certain members of the cast.

Can adult gohan not go super saiyain in this one? I'm gonna end up with Ultimate Gohan anyways but I always liked SSJ Adult Gohan in Goku's gi.

Also I hope this game has a shit ton of costumes for the main cast. I'd be sad if we can't use some of the CC costumes on certain members of the cast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP8TgRTYkqU

In the above video you will see orange dots above character's portraits. These dots represent their costumes, you can use it as a rough guide to see the amount of costumes (there's quite a lot).

As for the first question we don't know but it doesn't seem like it. Also, forms are locked to certain costumes so even if he could go Super Saiyan it's unlikely that his Super Saiyan form would be attached to that costume.

Revven

Only his Ultimate transformation is confirmed atm mainly because we have an actual video of it. Hoping we get a full actual roster video tonight or tomorrow which would hopefully include the alts and transformations.

So anyone else importing this game? For me Digitally...

Is it out on PSN yet? I was shocked you could pre-order Dragon Quest Heroes but not Xenoverse. I'm hoping to do some videos and possibly stream tonight.

todd360

This sounds so good. It can't be as good as it sounds. It just can't.

Will wait for detailed gaf impressions and reviews.

How many more DBZ fighting games are they going to make before they come out with a solid RPG/action adventure?

Maybe I'm not too creative but I feel that would be better for Dragon Ball, or maybe GT? There isn't a whole lot of adventuring in the DBZ series outside of going to Namek. Its mostly fighting.

This game has a few RPG elements, but I only see an "Action Adventure / RPG" game turning into a Dragon Ball Z musou... which I don't really want to see...

I actually am one of the few who loved Battle Of Z... I'd like to see more of that gameplay but with more complex combos...

Unless you want them to try this game again........ Bleh........

Top Bottom