• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, does anyone have any good recommendations for hotels in Osaka? I am particularly looking for hotels that are completely smoke free. In previous trips to Japan We've booking non-smoking rooms and then gotten told that they were all taken upon checking in which wasn't great. Thanks!

dammit, I'll have to rejig one of our days in Tokyo then....

There's a smaller statue at Gundam Square in Osaka if you want to get some shots of a Gundam:
DSC05496.jpg

DSC05487.jpg

Hi guys, does anyone have any good recommendations for hotels in Osaka? I am particularly looking for hotels that are completely smoke free. In previous trips to Japan We've booking non-smoking rooms and then gotten told that they were all taken upon checking in which wasn't great. Thanks!

Probably does not exist.

Just have to be adamant about the nonsmoking room I would guess. Or hope the room is cleaned thoroughly enough to not have any signs of a smoker.

And yes domestic in Japan can be very cheap. Check cheap airlines like Peach for in Japan flying. Using the bullet train is about 7,000yen to 12,000 yen per ride depending on the distance. Going back and forth is expensive. You can get a plane ticket for about that or less depending.

I just booked my tickets today and the best deal I could get was April 8 to April 19. So I'll be in Tokyo for a total of 10 nights. My friends flying in from Canada are quite well off and will have their own place so I'm trying to find a reasonable hotel for myself now and would love any recommendations. Is there a specific area I should be aiming for? And should I consider capsule hotels? Never seen one in person and they look super trippy, but the prices seem way more reasonable than normal hotels. I see plenty of decent airbnb options but I heard that's not a good option for Japan due to legal concerns.

Thanks in advance again for any help!

Is that so...?

Using the bullet train is about 7,000yen to 12,000 yen per ride depending on the distance.

Tokyo-Hakata/Fukuoka is 22k JPY...

Anyway... An JR Pass for 1 week is 29k JPY, and flights in Japan as a tourist will be 11k max, unless you find a cheaper deal. And the train ride from Tokyo to Fukuoka one way would be close to 6 hours total if you used an JR Pass.

I'm trying to find a reasonable hotel for myself now and would love any recommendations. Is there a specific area I should be aiming for? And should I consider capsule hotels? Never seen one in person and they look super trippy, but the prices seem way more reasonable than normal hotels. I see plenty of decent airbnb options but I heard that's not a good option for Japan due to legal concerns.

You're a bit late for booking, so you won't get the best deals. Anywhere near the Yamanote line should be fine, or the parts of the Chuo line that crosses the Yamanote. For hostels, check around Asakusa as well. Doing capsule hotels for more than 1-2 nights sounds horrible. I've stayed in AirBnB places 3 times in Tokyo now and it's all been fine. Remember to read all the reviews and check pictures and stuff though, so you know what you're actually getting.

You're a bit late for booking, so you won't get the best deals. Anywhere near the Yamanote line should be fine, or the parts of the Chuo line that crosses the Yamanote. For hostels, check around Asakusa as well. Doing capsule hotels for more than 1-2 nights sounds horrible. I've stayed in AirBnB places 3 times in Tokyo now and it's all been fine. Remember to read all the reviews and check pictures and stuff though, so you know what you're actually getting.

Okay, I'll be sure to avoid capsule hotels for sure. I'm not very comfortable about hostels so I'll start looking at AirBnB. Thanks for the suggestions!

Okay, I'll be sure to avoid capsule hotels for sure. I'm not very comfortable about hostels so I'll start looking at AirBnB. Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, some hostels do have private rooms though.

But if you want to avoid hostels you'd want to avoid the hostels that advertise on AirBnB as well I guess. Gotta check carefully ;p

My friends are insisting about visiting Kyoto as well so I pretty much have to squeeze it in now. While they fly back to Canada on the 16th I have till the 19th, so at least I'll get some more time in Tokyo after we return from Kyoto. Here's what I'm thinking:

April 8 - 11: Tokyo (4 nights)
April 12 - 14: Kyoto (3 nights)
April 15 - 18: Tokyo (Another 4 nights, while friends fly back on the 16th)
April 19: I fly back in the evening

So keeping the above schedule in mind what sort of train tickets/cards would you recommend? Thanks!

N0VAM0D

The trip is getting so close now, only a few weeks to go — 28th of March to be exact! I'm equally excited and nervous for it. Until recently, I was sort of freaking out about how barebones my itinerary was looking, but now I've realised that it really doesn't matter that much. All my flights and accommodation are booked, I've got my JR Pass, and I've got a list of things that would interest me in each location. I feel for someone like me, who prefers the idea of spontaneity and exploring, it's a more easy-going way to approach the trip. I really love the thought of being able to wake up bright and early each morning and having the flexibility to do whatever I genuinely feel like doing that day. Here's a little look at how I'll go about my time over there:

28th: Sydney > Tokyo
28th – 5th: Tokyo (from the 1st – 5th, I'll be with a friend in Asakusa)
5th – 10th: Kyoto (I'll activate the JR Pass on the 5th. Will probably day-trip to Nara during my stay, and on the 8th of April I have an appointment at Kokedera)
10th – 13th: Osaka
13th – 16th: Kanazawa (There will be a likely day-trip to Takayama at some point here)
16th – 18th: Tokyo
18th – 19th: Tokyo > Sydney

So yeah, I've got stuff I definitely wanna do, but I'll just see how I'm feeling. Right now I'm absolutely itching to go op-shopping in Shimokita so maybe I'll start with that. We'll see. And if I don't get to see/do everything on my list, it's okay, because I'll be back later in the year hopefully. And if anyone is still down for a meetup or whatever, that would be fun!

Does JR handle the train back to Narita? I need to get my pass tonight and am not sure if it will be better to have it active on our flight home or not.

Ennosuke

The trip is getting so close now, only a few weeks to go — 28th of March to be exact! I'm equally excited and nervous for it. Until recently, I was sort of freaking out about how barebones my itinerary was looking, but now I've realised that it really doesn't matter that much. All my flights and accommodation are booked, I've got my JR Pass, and I've got a list of things that would interest me in each location. I feel for someone like me, who prefers the idea of spontaneity and exploring, it's a more easy-going way to approach the trip. I really love the thought of being able to wake up bright and early each morning and having the flexibility to do whatever I genuinely feel like doing that day. Here's a little look at how I'll go about my time over there:

28th: Sydney > Tokyo
28th – 5th: Tokyo (from the 1st – 5th, I'll be with a friend in Asakusa)
5th – 10th: Kyoto (I'll activate the JR Pass on the 5th. Will probably day-trip to Nara during my stay, and on the 8th of April I have an appointment at Kokedera)
10th – 13th: Osaka
13th – 16th: Kanazawa (There will be a likely day-trip to Takayama at some point here)
16th – 18th: Tokyo
18th – 19th: Tokyo > Sydney

So yeah, I've got stuff I definitely wanna do, but I'll just see how I'm feeling. Right now I'm absolutely itching to go op-shopping in Shimokita so maybe I'll start with that. We'll see. And if I don't get to see/do everything on my list, it's okay, because I'll be back later in the year hopefully. And if anyone is still down for a meetup or whatever, that would be fun!

Hey cool trip, I have more or less the same plan and dates. 28th will also be my first day in Japan. I am really getting more and more excited. We will even activate the the JR pass on the same day :) I will go to Nara, I heard it is great and the best locations are all close to the central station.

Well, what airport are you arriving at and leaving from? And what are your plans in each city? Doing any day trips?

Narita. Haven't made any set plans yet but probably just touristy stuff with my friends and the geeky/gamey/otakuy stuff when I have 3 days to myself. Haven't planned any day trips yet but suggestions are welcome!

N0VAM0D

Hey cool trip, I have more or less the same plan and dates. 28th will also be my first day in Japan. I am really getting more and more excited. We will even activate the the JR pass on the same day :) I will go to Nara, I heard it is great and the best locations are all close to the central station.

Ooh, what a coincidence! It'd be crazy if we were even staying in some of the same places, hahaha. I'm betting you have a way more detailed itinerary than me though!

So keen for Nara! I'd be lying if i was saying I wasn't mainly wanting to go to see all the cute deer, but the temples should also be wonderful to visit. I think Arashiyama is also another option for a day-trip from the main area of Kyoto. There's so much possibility! Anything you're looking forward to in particular on your trip?

Narita. Haven't made any set plans yet but probably just touristy stuff with my friends and the geeky/gamey/otakuy stuff when I have 3 days to myself. Haven't planned any day trips yet but suggestions are welcome!

Well, you could get these discount tickets for going to Kyoto from Tokyo and back:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/FPK1J01031MKC

Make sure to read all the info and details.

Depending on where in Tokyo you're staying you should possibly get these discout NEX round trip tickets as well:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html

If you're staying in the northern parts of Tokyo, you should consider using the Skyliner though.

My trip will be April 28-May 14, during which:

28 - 1st Tokyo (Shopping, Shibuya, Harajuku, Aoyama, Shinjuku)
1st - 3rd Kakogawa (Family)
3rd - 5th Kyoto (Kiyomizu Dera, Arashiyama)
5th - 7th Kobe
8th - 12th Okayama
12th -14th Osaka (Food)

Now, the only reason I'll be in Okayama during 8-12 is because my girlfriend has university until the evening, I'd like to take that time to travel outside. Would 1 days trips (arrive ~9am, depart 6pm) to Hiroshima and Fukuoka be worth it? (I'll have JR pass) Or do you guys recommend other cities in the area.

On another note, would you guys recommend any private onsen in the Kansai area, or perhaps a Ryokan with onsen.

It's been a little tough finding a reasonable hotel in the Shibuya/Shinkuku area so I'm looking for airbnb for my stay in Tokyo.

Now, the only reason I'll be in Okayama during 8-12 is because my girlfriend has university until the evening, I'd like to take that time to travel outside. Would 1 days trips (arrive ~9am, depart 6pm) to Hiroshima and Fukuoka be worth it? (I'll have JR pass) Or do you guys recommend other cities in the area.

I'd say check out Miyajima + Hiroshima and Himeji.

I'd say check out Miyajima + Hiroshima and Himeji.

I have spent some time in Himeji during my last visit, but I will check out Miyajima while in Hiroshima. Is Fukuoka still a decent destination? This would take place on separate day, I have 3 days to do 1 day trips, the only city I've visited west of Okayama was Kurashiki.

I have spent some time in Himeji during my last visit, but I will check out Miyajima while in Hiroshima. Is Fukuoka still a decent destination? This would take place on separate day, I have 3 days to do 1 day trips, the only city I've visited west of Okayama was Kurashiki.

Eh, I dunno. I'd probably check out some places in Shikoku instead, but that's just me :p

Ennosuke

Ooh, what a coincidence! It'd be crazy if we were even staying in some of the same places, hahaha. I'm betting you have a way more detailed itinerary than me though!

So keen for Nara! I'd be lying if i was saying I wasn't mainly wanting to go to see all the cute deer, but the temples should also be wonderful to visit. I think Arashiyama is also another option for a day-trip from the main area of Kyoto. There's so much possibility! Anything you're looking forward to in particular on your trip?

Well it is my first time in Japan, so I am looking forward to see everything :), but I've always wanted to go to Kyoto. I love the golden temple, so probably my highlight. I also managed to plan a nice trip to the five lakes near Fuji-san, I guess that will also be an amazing trip.

I agree there is so much stuff we could see, but I think you need to find the right balance, because otherwise I can imagine that it feels very stressful.

Fingers crossed, that we will see a lot of Sakura and the weather will be good.

Tokyo-Hakata/Fukuoka is 22k JPY...

Anyway... An JR Pass for 1 week is 29k JPY, and flights in Japan as a tourist will be 11k max, unless you find a cheaper deal. And the train ride from Tokyo to Fukuoka one way would be close to 6 hours total if you used an JR Pass.
So I'll just plan to fly straight to Fukuoka, then. You're a big help. :)

Any advice on finding ryokans? AirBNB is good for that?

Rydeen

Heading back to Japan tomorrow, staying for a few days in Kawasaki, Nagoya, and then the rest of the time in Tokyo until March 28th. If any of Japan-Gaf wants to meet up, let me know.

Well, you could get these discount tickets for going to Kyoto from Tokyo and back:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/FPK1J01031MKC

Make sure to read all the info and details.

Depending on where in Tokyo you're staying you should possibly get these discout NEX round trip tickets as well:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_round.html

If you're staying in the northern parts of Tokyo, you should consider using the Skyliner though.

Thanks! What about within Tokyo itself? As in traveling from one district/area to another? Are there any day/week passes for the city like there are for London/NYC etc that I should look into?

Any advice on finding ryokans? AirBNB is good for that?

A proper ryokan can be expensive, so you'll probably not find a lot on AirBnB. Try regular hotel search sites. Oh, and check rakuten travel, Jalan and Japanican as well.

Thanks! What about within Tokyo itself? As in traveling from one district/area to another? Are there any day/week passes for the city like there are for London/NYC etc that I should look into?

Just get a Suica or Pasmo card and use that.

Futaba

For anyone thinking of getting any late season snowboarding (or skiing) in, a few hours out of Tokyo, Fujiten's currently pretty quiet (As long as you avoid Sunday).
10 min drive from 富士急ハイランド too.

v6xYV7x.jpg

Just get a Suica or Pasmo card and use that.

Thanks, you've been super helpful! I totally want to abuse your knowledge some more if that's okay, haha!

Keeping this schedule in mind:
April 8 - 11: Tokyo (4 days with friends)
April 12 - 14: Kyoto (3 days with friends)
April 15: Tokyo (1 day with friends)
April 16 - 18: Tokyo (3 days alone)

Are there any day trips/must-see sites you personally recommend? My friends and I are both very interested in stuff like temples, cherry blossom watching and nature-y stuff. The girl will probably want to get some shopping done too. As for me I'll just do the standard geeky stuff on my own once I'm alone.

Are there any day trips/must-see sites you personally recommend? My friends and I are both very interested in stuff like temples, cherry blossom watching and nature-y stuff. The girl will probably want to get some shopping done too. As for me I'll just do the standard geeky stuff on my own once I'm alone.

Check out the usual tourist temples and shrines like Meiji Shrine and Sensoji Temple in Tokyo and Fushimi Inari Shrine and Kinkakuji Temple in Kyoto.

Ueno Park and Yoyogi Park in Tokyo is nice. Could try going to Mount Takao in Tokyo and climb that too. Philosopher's Path or Arashiyama in Kyoto would be nice for cherry blossoms in Kyoto if you miss it in Tokyo.

Check out Shibuya for shopping or Ginza if you want more expensive stuff.

For geeky stuff check out Akihabara of course and Nakano Broadway.

Mairu

Mt Takao is a really satisfying hike if you go on a day with good weather. I was really happy and spent a lot of time at the top when I went in December.

I've been getting started pretty early out here and I'm thinking I may end up with one more night in Hiroshima than I needed. Anything especially exciting to check out nearby for another day trip if I end up seeing all I want to see in Miyajima+Hiroshima in just one day?

Kenstar

I'm going to tokyo solo Apr 3-11
only thing set in stone is the flight so far
I got the flight and will get ~$750 of hotel costs paid for by my rewards points so I'm not looking to spend hundreds of my own money shinkansen-ing around japan

What I did last time:
Robot Restaruant
Asakusa Temple
Pokemon megacenter
Odaiba Gundam
Fussa suburbs wandering
Okinawa beaches
Akihabara at 2am

What I will do this time:
Arcades
MarioKart knockoff (in process of getting international license needed to drive them)
Mr. Donut
Mcdonalds Beef Tallow cooked fries
Kirin Hyoketsu Lemon Strong
Sushi
Nakano Broadway

Please help me add shit onto my will do list

I got the flight and will get ~$750 of hotel costs paid for by my rewards points so I'm not looking to spend hundreds of my own money shinkansen-ing around japan

What I did last time:
Robot Restaruant
Asakusa Temple
Pokemon megacenter
Odaiba Gundam
Fussa suburbs wandering
Okinawa beaches
Akihabara at 2am

Arcades
MarioKart knockoff (in process of getting international license needed to drive them)
Mr. Donut
Sushi
Nakano Broadway

You've never been to MisDo? Wow.

What's special about Akihabara at 2AM?

Kenstar

You've never been to MisDo? Wow.

What's special about Akihabara at 2AM?

There's no one around and the few food places are full of salarymen, everything is closed and it's kind of useless

I know there's a gundam museum thing in divercity mall but I dont know the lore of gundam so it'd be wasted on me.

I've been getting started pretty early out here and I'm thinking I may end up with one more night in Hiroshima than I needed. Anything especially exciting to check out nearby for another day trip if I end up seeing all I want to see in Miyajima+Hiroshima in just one day?

Could always go back towards Himeji and check out the castle.

Go to Odaiba Oedo Onsen, Meji Shrine, Yoyogi Park and Uneo Park and the museums there.

There's no one around and the few food places are full of salarymen, everything is closed and it's kind of useless

Well, there's also maid cafés still open :p

kubus

What I did last time:
Robot Restaruant
Asakusa Temple
Pokemon megacenter
Odaiba Gundam
Fussa suburbs wandering
Okinawa beaches
Akihabara at 2am

Arcades
Mr. Donut
Sushi
Nakano Broadway

You know Nintendo sued that Marika company that does the Mario kart knock off rental thing? You can still rent a kart it seems but they had to remove all references to mario kart and they call it "superhero racing" now or something. Just a thing to keep in mind.

You know Nintendo sued that Marika company that does the Mario kart knock off rental thing? You can still rent a kart it seems but they had to remove all references to mario kart and they call it "superhero racing" now or something. Just a thing to keep in mind.

There's that other company Akiba Kart though. Dunno if they changed since they didn't get sued.

Boy, Ueno Park sure has a lot of museums. I'd like to visit at least one of them, and the Western Art museum seems right up my alley. Plus, it's free on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month.

Check out the usual tourist temples and shrines like Meiji Shrine and Sensoji Temple in Tokyo and Fushimi Inari Shrine and Kinkakuji Temple in Kyoto.

Ueno Park and Yoyogi Park in Tokyo is nice. Could try going to Mount Takao in Tokyo and climb that too. Philosopher's Path or Arashiyama in Kyoto would be nice for cherry blossoms in Kyoto if you miss it in Tokyo.

Check out Shibuya for shopping or Ginza if you want more expensive stuff.

For geeky stuff check out Akihabara of course and Nakano Broadway.

Thanks!!! I'll start cobbling together an itinerary of sorts now. So stoked for the trip!

If any gaffer in Tokyo/Kyoto wants to meet up around the time I'm there hit me up!

What? Thats crazy cheap. I've been looking in May and everything is like $1300+, and thats with horrible layovers.

Ok, so I was an idiot and when I was searching I was looking at flight+hotel, not flight only. Now I'm seeing sub $800 flights.

Still not sure on the date and if I'm really going this summer or if I'll be waiting a bit longer. Might be starting a new job in May and might also have to take summer classes because I suck at school. I'm also trying to get a group together as I don't want to go alone next time.

I'm thinking about going north this time since I've never been north of Tokyo, just not sure where yet.

KiN0

Okay, so I'm for my trip to Japan set as far as lodgings and itinerary are concerned, but my cousin and I are having some conflict with currency exchange. Basically, we aren't sure if we need to exchange for yen before arriving in Japan or bring some USD and exchange at the there.

Any advice on exchanging money?

Okay, so I'm for my trip to Japan set as far as lodgings and itinerary are concerned, but my cousin and I are having some conflict with currency exchange. Basically, we aren't sure if we need to exchange for yen before arriving in Japan or bring some USD and exchange at the there.

Any advice on exchanging money?

Personally, I trade my currency in when I arrive in Japan (Post Office), I end up getting a better rate.

Top Bottom