• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

elhaym

We'd probably want to do a mix of modern and older sights, and probably some sort of day trip to Mt Fuji, or somewhere else where there is some nature. Definitely some nightlife type stuff as well. We're definitely comfortable walking all over and utilizing public transport to get around.
Thanks!

I reaaaaaaaally liked Shinjuku Gyoen for cherry blossom season, and it's really convenient to get to if you'll be in "the city" for most of the trip. I hear Ueno Park is nice too, but heard that it gets really really crowded.

I reaaaaaaaally liked Shinjuku Gyoen for cherry blossom season, and it's really convenient to get to if you'll be in "the city" for most of the trip. I hear Ueno Park is nice too, but heard that it gets really really crowded.

We found a place we really liked when we were there for Hanami but we have no idea where it was. It wasn't very crowded. It was near a river by where the giant gold poop building is.

A Shinkansen ticket to Nagoya from Tokyo is ~120 AUD minimum...
Yeah thats my thought, plus the extra week of using it for JR trains in Tokyo would make it worth it.

Ultimately I think I'm looking at near $1000 Australian for Shinkansen trips once I Leave Tokyo, so spending $700 for a 21 day pass is a good option for me.

We found a place we really liked when we were there for Hanami but we have no idea where it was. It wasn't very crowded. It was near a river by where the giant gold poop building is.

Asakusa?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahi_Beer_Hall

Ueno Park is crowded as hell in cherry blossom. If you are with 1-3 other people you might get a spot, but more is definitely something where you need to be there early.

My personal favorite for cherry blossom is the Philosopher's Path in Kyoto:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3906.html

Super beautiful.

I'm ordering 2 pocket wifis and am not sure what they mean with one of the questions. It says:

[Those who added more than one router to the cart]
Would you like to use one unit continuously?

Are they trying to ask if I want to use it consecutively or use both simultaneously? I'm getting one for me and one for my wife so we're covered when we are separate so I want them to work concurrently.

Surprisingly, I labeled my photos my first trip. The area I am thinking of is Kyu-Yasuda Teien Gardens.

I'm ordering 2 pocket wifis and am not sure what they mean with one of the questions. It says:

Are they trying to ask if I want to use it consecutively or use both simultaneously? I'm getting one for me and one for my wife so we're covered when we are separate so I want them to work concurrently.

http://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/qa.html

2-3 What should I do if I want to rent the Wi-Fi longer?

Our store has 1 month, 2 month, and 3 month packages. If you would like to rent the Wi-Fi more than 4 months, please combine and add up the above packages when ordering. Please select [Yes.only one unit] as answer to [Would you like to use one unit continuously?].

So choose no :p

Beach

Hey friends, this question has probabaly been answered a few times but this is from complete ignorance

Where can I buy a pocket wifi and how much cost are we looking at? Flying into Narita next week

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How are crowds during the blooming of the Cherry Blossoms? We may move our 2018 trip to April to catch that instead of mid-late May.

Thanks. I got my device ordered.

Hey friends, this question has probabaly been answered a few times but this is from complete ignorance

Where can I buy a pocket wifi and how much cost are we looking at? Flying into Narita next week

You typically pay for them before you leave. It might actually be too late for you. Try the site in the other post I quoted and some of the links in the OP.

newjeruse

I'll be in Tokyo from the 3rd to the 16th of March for work. Can't leave Tokyo because I'm working every day, but I should be around late on most nights. Let me know if anyone wants to meet up (I'm from the U.S. and I've never been before).

Currently planning the hour-to-hour itinerary, but I haven't had a lot of time to really plan out the details. I'm super excited, but also a little apprehensive.
3oXGcNj.png

Does it look okay? Or have I gone too far in a few places?

Where's the best centralized location to stay in Tokyo if we're going to be spending all our time there?

We're looking to at least see all these:

Tsukiji Fish Market
Meiji Shrine
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Tokyo Metro Govt Offices
Shibuya Crossing

Definitely looking to hit up some bars, etc.

Seems most of what I've read that Shinjuku is the best general area?
Yes, no?

Where's the best centralized location to stay in Tokyo if we're going to be spending all our time there?

We're looking to at least see all these:

Tsukiji Fish Market
Meiji Shrine
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Tokyo Metro Govt Offices
Shibuya Crossing

Definitely looking to hit up some bars, etc.

Seems most of what I've read that Shinjuku is the best general area?
Yes, no?

Anywhere on the Yamanote line is good but I'd stay on the north side between Ueno and Shibuya.

I love the Yanaka neighborhood. Very old world pre-war Tokyo. It's right off Nippori station on the Yamanote line. The Annex Katsutaro Ryokan is there.

That's one of my favorite areas. We got lost wondering around there. It definitely has a unique retro feel that is hard to get within the city.

shas'la

Currently planning the hour-to-hour itinerary, but I haven't had a lot of time to really plan out the details. I'm super excited, but also a little apprehensive.
3oXGcNj.png

Does it look okay? Or have I gone too far in a few places?

I would suggest that the 15th is a bit packed, yeah those places are geographically close to each other but i'd feel pretty rushed only allocating 2-3 hours to Shinjuku & Shibuya if your intention is shopping ( fashion and food basements!)

srst

Speaking of food basements/food court, what's the best in one Tokyo? I find them less intimidating than street shops. Tokyo Solamachi (Skytree) mall is my favorite which had me going back a few times.

So.

I loved going to Japan. I really really adored my time there. And I plan to go back next year, perhaps in warmer months (even though I know it'll be busier tourist-wise and hot as fuck) or maybe just Fall for a nice medium point.

So I enrolled in a Japanese class for beginners at the local adult education center so that next time I go I will at least be able to have a stilted conversation with people. I loved my time there but felt limited somewhat (and closed off otherwise in a social sense) by relying on the benevolence of those who spoke English there, or pointing at shit. It will be nice to be able to actually speak with people there and it may open up more adventures for me similar to my time in Dotenbouri where I went drinking with two businessmen and we talked on our phones using Google Translate.

Zyzyxxz

Speaking of food basements/food court, what's the best in one Tokyo? I find them less intimidating than street shops. Tokyo Solamachi (Skytree) mall is my favorite which had me going back a few times.

They are called depachika:

Here's a top 10 list by a lady who is fairly well experienced in Tokyo having worked as a Sake sommelier in one of the busiest depachika's.

https://foodsaketokyo.com/2011/08/04/top-ten-depachika-in-tokyo/

My personal pick if I had to choose one: Shinjuku Takashimaya

daegan

So I was planning a return with my wife and to take our best friend with us this October, but then I saw that flights from my area (DTW) via United/ANA are around $500 for April and May so now I'm just trying to dodge Golden Week.

On one hand we won't have as much saved up, but on the other we're going to save $600-$800 per ticket depending on if the price would've gone down at all, so pretty great! But also nervous trying to plan everything this quickly, lol

forrest said:
This July, my wife and I are travelling to Japan for a week for her 40th birthday. We have been doing some light research and are just starting to think about things to see, do, places to stay as well as language barrier and cuisine differences. I'm willing to give just about any type of food a try, but she is much more selective in what she is willing to try.

Some things that she has mentioned interest in are visiting Kyoto, the Harajuku district, we are pug lovers so I think we may go to a pug cafe on her actual birthday :) also she wants to spend a night in a Japanese capsule hotel.

Personally as long as I get to see the more traditional side of Japan, mixed in with some great food and a dash of Nintendo that I can only see in Japan, then I will be happy.

Are there any particular sights, food/restaurants, hotels that you all could recommend?

How about anything related to Nintendo? Is there somewhere that I could get great Nintendo souvenirs? Something you can only find in Japan?

How about any advice for English speaking travelers in Japan? Any particularly important cultural manners or behaviors that westerners often violate without knowing? This is my first international trip and while I'm extremely excited, I do have a bit of anxiety regarding basic daily communication and functioning in a foreign environment.

Just to add some things we like: we like touristy things as well as off the beaten path local things, good steak and food, whiskey, alcohol in general, nightlife, music, art, of course video games, anime, nature, scenic countryside, etc.

We are pretty much open to anything, but realize that one week is an extremely limited time, so as we plan we would like to prioritize things of interest and importance to us. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. It's greatly appreciated!

Well, expect it to be hot as hell since you're going in July.

Since you've only got 1 week, it'll probably be better to skip Kyoto and check out Kamakura closer to Tokyo instead.

If you want to check out an onsen city and also check out some nature you could go to Hakone. If you're lucky you can also get some good views of Mt Fuji from there. Of course if you're going to an onsen, make sure you either don't have tattoos or cover them up while there if you got any small ones.

If by Nintendo you mean Pokemon, you could go check out one of the Pokemon stores. There's one at Skytree. If not, then you'd probably have to check some of the stores in Akihabara, like Super Potato.

Hm... Don't be loud or noisy and don't use your phone for phonecalls on the trains I guess. And there's plenty of people here who's gone to Japan without knowing any of the language (including me) and we've all been fine, so don't worry too much ;P

If you like nightlife you should probably stay somewhere near Shibuya or Shinjuku, and check out Golden Gai as well.

For art you could check out some of the museums in Ueno Park, and the park itself is pretty cool as well.

Other than that there's all the normal tourist places like the Sensoji Temple, Meiji Shrine, Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo Tower and/or Skytree, Tsukiji Fish Market, Akihabara and the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo to check out. Make sure to reserve tickets early enough if you want to go to the Ghibli Museum though.

shas'la

I would suggest Shinjuku Isetan, which is on that list in the post below yours. There are several in Shinjuku so i shouldn't be hard to hit up more than one in a day.

As a aside the "shopping" center in Tokyo Station is amazing - this is one of 2 or 3 shopping centers located attached to the station;

http://www.tokyoeki-1bangai.co.jp/pdf/floorMap_foreign.pdf

They are filled with places to eat, snacks to buy and and souvenirs to purchase.

forrest

formerly nacire
Well, expect it to be hot as hell since you're going in July.

Since you've only got 1 week, it'll probably be better to skip Kyoto and check out Kamakura closer to Tokyo instead.

If you want to check out an onsen city and also check out some nature you could go to Hakone. If you're lucky you can also get some good views of Mt Fuji from there. Of course if you're going to an onsen, make sure you either don't have tattoos or cover them up while there if you got any small ones.

If by Nintendo you mean Pokemon, you could go check out one of the Pokemon stores. There's one at Skytree. If not, then you'd probably have to check some of the stores in Akihabara, like Super Potato.

Hm... Don't be loud or noisy and don't use your phone for phonecalls on the trains I guess. And there's plenty of people here who's gone to Japan without knowing any of the language (including me) and we've all been fine, so don't worry too much ;P

If you like nightlife you should probably stay somewhere near Shibuya or Shinjuku, and check out Golden Gai as well.

For art you could check out some of the museums in Ueno Park, and the park itself is pretty cool as well.

Other than that there's all the normal tourist places like the Sensoji Temple, Meiji Shrine, Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo Tower and/or Skytree, Tsukiji Fish Market, Akihabara and the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo to check out. Make sure to reserve tickets early enough if you want to go to the Ghibli Museum though.

Thanks for the great advice! We are aware it will be hot and unfortunately can't change the time of year for the trip or we would have opted to go sooner, possibly during Cherry Blossom season.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need a little guidance to get started with planning our trip. Currently, we are looking at going from 5/9/18 - 5/26/18. We intend to do Tokyo Disneyland, Disney Sea, and Shanghai Disney. We are mapping out how many days for all the Disney stuff as well as how many days to spend in Tokyo and Kyoto (and their respective surrounding areas).

We can add a day or two if necessary, so that's not a huge issue. But I'm just not sure where to start. I would like explore Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Harajuku. I'd also like to visit the Ghibli Museum. Visiting http://www.japan-guide.com/ is overwhelming with how much you can do there. I have NO idea what else we should look into. We want to see Mt. Fuji and experience the Cherry Blossoms. It would be neat visit a shrine, too.

Anyone want to give me some tips or starting points to begin building an itinerary?

Before you ask, the Disney stuff is pretty much a must for us since we're HUGE Disney people. :)

srst

They are called depachika:

Here's a top 10 list by a lady who is fairly well experienced in Tokyo having worked as a Sake sommelier in one of the busiest depachika's.

https://foodsaketokyo.com/2011/08/04/top-ten-depachika-in-tokyo/

My personal pick if I had to choose one: Shinjuku Takashimaya
I would suggest Shinjuku Isetan, which is on that list in the post below yours. There are several in Shinjuku so i shouldn't be hard to hit up more than one in a day.

As a aside the "shopping" center in Tokyo Station is amazing - this is one of 2 or 3 shopping centers located attached to the station;

http://www.tokyoeki-1bangai.co.jp/pdf/floorMap_foreign.pdf

They are filled with places to eat, snacks to buy and and souvenirs to purchase.

Thanks! This is just what I need!

grego9198

Kamakura is a definitely a good day trip, I went there with a group of coworkers when I was staying in Fujisawa for work back in Nov. 2013. One of our Japanese coworkers highly recommended it.

Taking the Enoshima train along the coast and then tucking tightly in between the buildings made it a really nice ride. You get to check out the Daibutsu big Buddha Statue at Kōtoku-in and a bunch of different shrines.

Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū is a good one to check out. There were a lot of food carts out in front of it that day and we got to try out some Japanese street meat.

I need a little guidance to get started with planning our trip. Currently, we are looking at going from 5/9/18 - 5/26/18. We intend to do Tokyo Disneyland, Disney Sea, and Shanghai Disney. We are mapping out how many days for all the Disney stuff as well as how many days to spend in Tokyo and Kyoto (and their respective surrounding areas).

We can add a day or two if necessary, so that's not a huge issue. But I'm just not sure where to start. I would like explore Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Harajuku. I'd also like to visit the Ghibli Museum. Visiting http://www.japan-guide.com/ is overwhelming with how much you can do there. I have NO idea what else we should look into. We want to see Mt. Fuji and experience the Cherry Blossoms. It would be neat visit a shrine, too.

Anyone want to give me some tips or starting points to begin building an itinerary?

You should check out the crowd calendars for Disney, so you can try going on a less crowded day:
http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en
http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

You're too late for Cherry Blossoms unless you're really lucky and also plan to go up to Sapporo ASAP when you go to Japan. :p

Focus on Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka on Japan Guide and narrow it down to what stuff you're most interested in seeing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You should check out the crowd calendars for Disney, so you can try going on a less crowded day:
http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en
http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

You're too late for Cherry Blossoms unless you're really lucky and also plan to go up to Sapporo ASAP when you go to Japan. :p

Focus on Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka on Japan Guide and narrow it down to what stuff you're most interested in seeing.

When are the Cherry Blossoms? We can't move our dates TOO much because we're working around Memorial Day to save a vacation day or two (and also to recoup from all the travel).

E: And thanks for the calendars. My wife already has them bookmarked. We are planning to go on weekdays, so that will help. The biggest thing is we HAVE to see Easter stuff because it's adorable as hell.

E: And thanks for the calendars. My wife already has them bookmarked. We are planning to go on weekdays, so that will help. The biggest thing is we HAVE to see Easter stuff because it's adorable as hell.

If for some reason you want to ride Toy Story Mania in DisneySea, then you should get online tickets (this you should do anyway so you don't have to line up to get tickets first before lining up to get in), show up 1 hour before opening, and run to the fastpass machines when they open, because it's the most popular thing in the park and the queues will be several hours long.

TCRS

Banned
holy shit guys 5 weeks I feel so fucking unprepared. still gotta order those mobile wifis. probably gonna get another credit card with better rates. need no visas so that's good. flights booked. hotel booked. bus to hotel will be booked at the airport.

WHAT ELSE??

man why did work have to get so busy right now, I'm barely home long enough to do any research or preparation.

they are asking me for a time when to drop the thing to my hotel. how the heck do I know how long it's going to take at baggage claim, customs, getting currency, booking the bus at the airport and then finally getting to the hotel? pff...

e: oh health insurance. good that I remembered that. I've never travelled outside of Europe, in Europe that has never been an issue,

Fritz

holy shit guys 5 weeks I feel so fucking unprepared. still gotta order those mobile wifis. probably gonna get another credit card with better rates. need no visas so that's good. flights booked. hotel booked. bus to hotel will be booked at the airport.

WHAT ELSE??

man why did work have to get so busy right now, I'm barely home long enough to do any research or preparation.

they are asking me for a time when to drop the thing to my hotel. how the heck do I know how long it's going to take at baggage claim, customs, getting currency, booking the bus at the airport and then finally getting to the hotel? pff...

e: oh health insurance. good that I remembered that. I've never travelled outside of Europe, in Europe that has never been an issue,

Nada, enjoy!

Leave plenty of room in your luggage and go crazy in Shimokitazawa is my only advise.

Mairu

Heading to Japan in a week as I'm changing jobs and got some time in between. Doing some last minute planning like I've done in the past :)

Anyone have any advice on how much time it typically takes to explore Himeji Castle and that area? Debating also taking the bus up to see around Mt Shosha before heading out.

I'm thinking I'll head over to Himeji from Osaka on a morning, and spend some time in that area before making my way to Hiroshima.

Not sure how much time i want to spend in Hiroshima and I'll probably also check out Miyajima for a day at the very least. Anyone more familiar with west Japan have general some on advice on how to spend two weeks around Osaka->Nagasaki?

Anyone have any advice on how much time it typically takes to explore Himeji Castle and that area? Debating also taking the bus up to see around Mt Shosha before heading out.

Anyone more familiar with west Japan have general some on advice on how to spend two weeks around Osaka->Nagasaki?

Shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours if you only check out the castle. Will probably be an additional 2-4 hours if you go up to Mt Shosha.

Check out the sand dunes in Tottori, stay a night at a temple at Mount Koya, and check out the Naruto whirlpools? Not going to Kyoto and the areas slightly east of Osaka or the southern parts of Kyushu?

Raysoul

We are picking up our Passport tomorrow to check if our Japanese Visa is approved. I have confidence that it will be, but I'm still nervous. Wish me luck!

Mairu

Shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours if you only check out the castle. Will probably be an additional 2-4 hours if you go up to Mt Shosha.

Check out the sand dunes in Tottori, stay a night at a temple at Mount Koya, and check out the Naruto whirlpools? Not going to Kyoto and the areas slightly east of Osaka or the southern parts of Kyushu?

Thanks for the tip! That's really helpful.

I spent a really packed day and a half in Kyoto my first time to Japan and plan on spending another day there this time, and also checking Nara out for a day since I haven't been there.

Still undecided on the rest of it, so not sure how far into Kyushu I'll go. Eventually my flight back home is out of Narita so I will have to make my way up to Tokyo. It's hard to decide when everything is appealing!

I spent a really packed day and a half in Kyoto my first time to Japan and plan on spending another day there this time, and also checking Nara out for a day since I haven't been there.

Still undecided on the rest of it, so not sure how far into Kyushu I'll go. Eventually my flight back home is out of Narita so I will have to make my way up to Tokyo. It's hard to decide when everything is appealing!

Well, you could split it up and do like 3-5 days with a base in Osaka/Kyoto, then do 4-5 days with a base in Fukuoka and then another 3-5 days in Osaka/Kyoto so you don't have 1 long travel day at the very end.

If you decide to stay for a few days in Fukuoka, then in addition to Nagasaki, you should check out Ibusuki with the sand baths.

And check out Uji near Kyoto as well. It's known for it's green tea, got a nice shopping street near a river and Byodoin Temple.

Hey there for those experienced.

I have my plans laid out but they really just involve Tokyo. The only places I want to go outside of Tokyo are the Kikkoman Soy Sauce factory, Tashirojima and Mt Fuji.

Very much against spreading myself thin so I'm going to Maximize my stay in Tokyo. Is the Japan railway pass even a good value at that point? Not that I'm complaining about 500 bucks for a pass but for my plans for my stay doesn't seem worth it.

Mairu

Well, you could split it up and do like 3-5 days with a base in Osaka/Kyoto, then do 4-5 days with a base in Fukuoka and then another 3-5 days in Osaka/Kyoto so you don't have 1 long travel day at the very end.

If you decide to stay for a few days in Fukuoka, then in addition to Nagasaki, you should check out Ibusuki with the sand baths.

And check out Uji near Kyoto as well. It's known for it's green tea, got a nice shopping street near a river and Byodoin Temple.

Uji looks incredible! Thanks for the tip on Ibusuki. Will spend a bunch of time after work looking to see how much time I may want to spend in Kyushu. Not entirely sure how much I may find interesting in Fukuoka so I'll see what I come up with tonight.

SalvaPot

My trip is tomorrow! I am very excited. Had a rough week, as two days ago I was mugged at knife point and I had my visa and passport with me, I didn't want to give them up and ruin my trip so I ran away, they eventually caught up to me so I gave them my phone, that I had in hand, and when they asked me for the money and other valuables I lied and told them I had none. I think they were to tired to pat me down and I was ready to start running again, so they went back the way they came from. Very scary, I was so lucky.

Anyway, I need your help GAF! I just need a few more pointers in transportation.

I am arriving at Narita airport, and I decided to go to Nakano and stay there from March 1 to March 3. then I am going to Okayama and meeting with Kipichu there.

I only need to pick a transport for Narita-Nakano on March 1 and another for Narita-Okayama on March 3, what would be my best options?

I am going to stay at Yadoya guesthouse here: https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/ya...stbooking_directions#map_opened-b_tt_holder_1

So I just need to arrive to the Nakano station. My father-in-law gave me an ICOCA card he used to travel around, but I don't know if its worth using or I should use something else. Also I think that was mostly for the Osaka area.

Also, for the Narita-Okayama trip I'll be ok with taking a bus all night to arrive, time is not an issue and I love to ride on buses.

Thanks JapanTravelGAF!

I only need to pick a transport for Narita-Nakano on March 1 and another for Narita-Okayama on March 3, what would be my best options?

My father-in-law gave me an ICOCA card he used to travel around, but I don't know if its worth using or I should use something else. Also I think that was mostly for the Osaka area.

Why would you go all the way back to Narita to go to Okayama instead of going to Shinjuku or Tokyo station to take transport?

For Narita-Nakano:
http://www.cheap-hostel-tokyo.com/e/access.php

For Tokyo-Okayama by bus:
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/bus/route/kanto/okayama/

Depending on how long you're staying in Okayama/how much the single trip is, you should check out the bus pass as well:
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/buspass/index.php

You can use the ICOCA card while traveling within Tokyo and Okayama, but not between the two.

Top Bottom