• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Unison

Check out dotonbori of course, check out the Osaka Aquarium if you're not there in the weekend, Osaka Castle if you don't have time to go to Himeji Castle and check out the view from the Floating Garden Observatory.

Check out the Osaka Amazing Pass stuff if you could benefit from it:
http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/index.html

Thanks! Very helpful. I'll only be in Osaka for 3 days, and it's my first time, so this will probably work great!

JulianImp

It'll be 8 days and 2 moderate internet users (we'll only have our iPhones/iPads).

I'm currently eyeing the Premium Pocket Wifi from here: http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/order/index.html

It probably won't be useful for intensive web browsing, but you could get 2GB prepaid SIM cards for ¥4,000 (and there also was a 1GB plan).

https://t.iijmio.jp/en/index.html

This option was way cheaper than renting a pocket wi-fi for my friends and I since we were in Japan for three months, but maybe eight days of pocket wi-fi would be cheap enough to be a better choice over prepaid SIMs.

I'm considering heading back to Japan for TGS this year. Nothing fully planned as of yet, I'm hoping for PAX West tickets but if those fall through TGS/Japan will be my second choice vacation.

I know a lot of the regulars posters have gone previously, I was wondering if it was worthwhile booking a place for a few days near the venue to get their early for line up etc? It seems kind of out of the way.

It's not that far from a normal train ride to the venue. When I went (on a whim to TGS while in town for the Ultra music festival) we got on the train for about 30-40 minutes, train lets off very close to the venue, and waited in line for like... an hour maybe. Line moves fairly fast given its size but also remember its the middle of summer so bring water and towels. I'd stay in a more interesting area if you want to do more than just TGS.

Google maps got us there easy peasy.

Question about upcoming trip. Heading to Japan mid Feb to early March.. ( approx 3 weeks)

Route of travel is as follows

Tokyo -> Hakone -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Hiroshima / Miyajima > Tokyo (With day trips in between)

Q how should I dress for the weather?
Q will there be rain during this time?
Q is dressing in layers preferable?

Keep reading how I should expect cool days and cold nights.

I'm from Canada and it's minus 10c where I am. I am use to Canada cold but I just wanna make sure I'm dressing properly when heading to Japan. Expecting to do alot of walking.

Yeah bring a jacket, maybe... medium size. Were expecting a bit of snow this week, and around 0 with a chance of snow even here in the south past Hiroshima. It usually fluctuates around 2-15 max in the south now. Expect colder in Tokyo and the mountians.

I'll be heading to Tokyo/Osaka for only a week early in March.

First time in Japan.

Anything I should be sure to do while I'm there, particularly in Osaka?

Osaka: Food, Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, ect. google osaka foods, eat all of it. Also Osaka castle.

Zyzyxxz

Thinking about going back to Japan for a third round later this year or early next year (depends on when my next restaurant will open, I want to do more food research before I open it).

Past two trips I went Airbnb route and had decent experiences but now that I know Tokyo better I wanna be in a better location than I was last time (both in Shibuya but further out than I would have liked) and I may want to do hostels to save alot of money (so I can spend it on food).

My only thing is I like my personal comforts and one thing is I may really need the air conditioning on after a long day of walking around the city. How do most hostels handle AC? Does someone in the room control it and if someone doesn't want it cold then we are going to have to work it out?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a hostel that is super convenient in Tokyo?

Cairnsay

Banned
Going to Japan in September, just got the flights booked. So excited! My friend and I are looking at a couple different hostel style places around Roppongi. The price seems pretty decent, but the only thing that worries us is getting about. From what I have read the Roppongi metro station isn't on the main line you want to be on for getting places. Is it a hassle getting to the rest of the city from Roppongi, or is it pretty straight forward?

Going to Japan in September, just got the flights booked. So excited! My friend and I are looking at a couple different hostel style places around Roppongi. The price seems pretty decent, but the only thing that worries us is getting about. From what I have read the Roppongi metro station isn't on the main line you want to be on for getting places. Is it a hassle getting to the rest of the city from Roppongi, or is it pretty straight forward?

It's should be easy enough to get around, but do you really want to stay in Roppongi though? I'd try to look elsewhere :p

Some questions regarding food places in Kyoto:

Is there any restaurant that's worth going out of my way to go to?

What great dessert places would you recommend?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Why is it better to use buses in Kyoto? Wouldn't subways be faster?
Or is it more of a matter of cost/number of rides?

What about Osaka?

Why is it better to use buses in Kyoto? Wouldn't subways be faster?
Or is it more of a matter of cost/number of rides?

What about Osaka?

Cause there's only 2 subway lines in Kyoto that doesn't cover even half the city, and a full day bus pass only costs 500 JPY :p

Osaka got plenty of subways, so you can use those.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cause there's only 2 subway lines in Kyoto that doesn't cover even half the city, and a full day bus pass only costs 500 JPY :p
Thank you. I was wondering why everyone suggested doing that, but never gave an explanation :)
Oh, by the way I got my Ghibli Museum voucher, which is awesome.

Some questions regarding food places in Kyoto:

Is there any restaurant that's worth going out of my way to go to?

What great dessert places would you recommend?
Haven't been there yet, but I've been suggested Tempura Matsu near Arashiyama, and Honke Owariya Shijo near Gion.
The former seems a bit on the expensive side, and the latter apparently makes amazing soba and desserts.

SalvaPot

I am going to Japan in March and I am in deep need of recommendations! I am going to go visit kipichu who is working hard over there, but first I want to travel around Japan for a bit. I was thinking of going on bus over the train, since I like to sight-see more and I feel I can get to see more stuff, but I am not sure if the bullet train would be a better idea.

I am considering this: http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/buspass/

All routes for 5 days for 15,000, starting at Tokyo and ending at Okayama, I also haven't decided what places to visit, so any recommendations will be nice.

There is a limit of 3 buses per day and I plan of taking advantage of it.

Is it the right choice or I should go for the bullet train?

Bullet train is vastly faster, 4 and a half hour bus ride takes about an hour 15~30 minutes comparison. But you also save a good bit.

There honestly is not much to see on the Japanese highways, its just roads through mountain forests. Some of the rest stops are pretty damn scenic but thats... about it lol. Unless you plan on stopping in certain towns and areas in between main stops or something.

Also random tidbit/promotion for my city. Anyone in the Kyushuu area on Feb. 17-19 (next weekend) we are having a ramen festival here in Kagoshima city. About 10 (might be 14 this year) locally and nationally famous shops open stands next to the port where you can eat all you want for a discounted base price. Can gorge yourself on full size bowls of ramen for 700yen (day of tickets) while enjoying the view of the volcano.

X5mL3ff.jpg

oFfUjAr.jpg

Since I know some gaffers might be in the area or traveling the country this time of year. Might be a nice pit stop/volcano visit.

SalvaPot

Bullet train is vastly faster, 4 and a half hour bus ride takes about an hour 15~30 minutes comparison. But you also save a good bit.

There honestly is not much to see on the Japanese highways, its just roads through mountain forests. Some of the rest stops are pretty damn scenic but thats... about it lol. Unless you plan on stopping in certain towns and areas in between main stops or something.

Also random tidbit/promotion for my city. Anyone in the Kyushuu area on Feb. 17-19 (next weekend) we are having a ramen festival here in Kagoshima city. About 10 (might be 14 this year) locally and nationally famous shops open stands next to the port where you can eat all you want for a discounted base price. Can gorge yourself on full size bowls of ramen for 700yen (day of tickets) while enjoying the view of the volcano.

Since I know some gaffers might be in the area or traveling the country this time of year. Might be a nice pit stop/volcano visit.

Thank you! Man, that ramen sounds awesome sadly I arrive on March 2nd...

Would you like some ramen with your green onions?

Absolutely NOT!

Haha its actually my personal favorite ramen here. The skewer to go along with it is just awesome. But yeah when the old guy makes it, its hilarious. He takes out a tupperware tub of negi (green onions) lightly puts them on top of the ramen, then kinda just dumps the entire container on haha. Its super good but I personally really like green onions on my ramen. The one I posted as an example won... maybe 2-3 times. Been hearing they are taking a break this time to let another shop enter since they got popular enough to open a second bigger shop last month.

All of them are good, but getting excited to go again this year. Was also on TV and radio lol. They love filming us foreigners.

Absolutely NOT!

Haha its actually my personal favorite ramen here. The skewer to go along with it is just awesome. But yeah when the old guy makes it, its hilarious. He takes out a tupperware tub of negi (green onions) lightly puts them on top of the ramen, then kinda just dumps the entire container on haha. Its super good but I personally really like green onions on my ramen. The one I posted as an example won... maybe 2-3 times. Been hearing they are taking a break this time to let another shop enter since they got popular enough to open a second bigger shop last month.

All of them are good, but getting excited to go again this year. Was also on TV and radio lol. They love filming us foreigners.

When I went to those soba cafeteria style places. I would dump like half the bowl of green onions into my noodles as well, lol. I love green onions.

I am going to Japan in March and I am in deep need of recommendations! I am going to go visit kipichu who is working hard over there, but first I want to travel around Japan for a bit. I was thinking of going on bus over the train, since I like to sight-see more and I feel I can get to see more stuff, but I am not sure if the bullet train would be a better idea.

Well, trains are faster, so you'll spend less time on transportation if you take trains...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Wow, these look a fair bit cheaper than the Global Advanced Comm I was eyeing, but... what's with that 3-4 hour battery life?

Seems awfully short for a day outside, even if you only turn the wifi on whenever you need it. The Global Advanced ones advertise 9-10 hours, which seems a lot more reasonable. Or is their real life performance more comparable than what it seems on paper?

Wow, these look a fair bit cheaper than the Global Advanced Comm I was eyeing, but... what's with that 3-4 hour battery life?

Seems awfully short for a day outside, even if you only turn the wifi on whenever you need it. The Global Advanced ones advertise 9-10 hours, which seems a lot more reasonable. Or is their real life performance more comparable than what it seems on paper?

Had no problems with the 303ZT I rented last time.

WiFi rental store charges a delivery fee as well though, so the price is still lower, but not as much as you see on that page.

Eridani

I am considering this: http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/buspass/

All routes for 5 days for 15,000, starting at Tokyo and ending at Okayama, I also haven't decided what places to visit, so any recommendations will be nice.

There is a limit of 3 buses per day and I plan of taking advantage of it.

Is it the right choice or I should go for the bullet train?

I used the Willer express pass a couple of years back (the 3 day variant for 10000 yen, although it was valid on all days back then), and I thought it was great, although the only way that it really helps you "sight-see more" is that it's cheaper and that night buses arrive earlier than trains.

For anyone on a tight budget that's fine with sleeping on buses, I think this pass used with overnight buses is a pretty good choice that often gets overlooked. It's slower, but with overnight buses it really doesn't matter much since you arrive early in the morning. Considering you also save on accommodation you end up saving quite a lot of money. The pass also lets you book everything online, which is great. I wouldn't really recommend day buses though, since they are so slow you basically use up an entire day for transport on longer routes, which negates any savings.

The major problem is if you can't sleep on buses. In that case you'll just be too tired to do anything when you arrive.

WoodWERD

5 days in so far and loving it. After living in China for several years, the courtesy and respectfulness from people here definitely stands out. The food is amazing too. Tokyo > Hiroshima > Miyajima and off to Kyoto for a few nights tomorrow morning. JR Pass owns.

Zatoth

For my last trip I used the Premium Wifi from Global Advanced and a cheaper one from here: https://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/product.php

In cities the cheap one works fine. But it did not have a connection when leaving cities a lot of times. In subways and subway stations it did also not work.

The cheap one used Y-mobile. The GAC one the au network. If you need good coverage you should look for a model that uses the au network.

Fowler

5 days in so far and loving it. After living in China for several years, the courtesy and respectfulness from people here definitely stands out. The food is amazing too. Tokyo > Hiroshima > Miyajima and off to Kyoto for a few nights tomorrow morning. JR Pass owns.

Nice, I just left Kyoto! Where are you staying?

Leaving Ise-Shima in the morning to head to Osaka, so sad my two weeks here are almost over.

Good to hear you're enjoying it. Pretty much the same route that my son and I did last summer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Had no problems with the 303ZT I rented last time.

WiFi rental store charges a delivery fee as well though, so the price is still lower, but not as much as you see on that page.
Wait a minute. If the pics are reliable, the models from Wi-Fi Rental Store seem to be the exact same ones from GAC. I guess my concerns for battery life were unfounded, then.

Out of curiosity, how much did you use your 303ZT daily? For 15 days it would still be a bit cheaper than GAC Premium Wifi, and much faster.

For my last trip I used the Premium Wifi from Global Advanced and a cheaper one from here: https://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/product.php

In cities the cheap one works fine. But it did not have a connection when leaving cities a lot of times. In subways and subway stations it did also not work.

The cheap one used Y-mobile. The GAC one the au network. If you need good coverage you should look for a model that uses the au network.
Is SoftBank (used by 303ZT) a third vendor? How does it compare with Y! and au?

From Düsseldorf?
I think I sat in front of the same gate almost exactly one year ago. 😁

Have fun!

Yup. Düsseldorf.

Out of curiosity, how much did you use your 303ZT daily? For 15 days it would still be a bit cheaper than GAC Premium Wifi, and much faster.

Is SoftBank (used by 303ZT) a third vendor? How does it compare with Y! and au?

All day every day. I have a powerbank though. Charged it up again in the evening.

It's different mobile data networks.

Hi Japan TravelGAF! Me and my friends are going to Fukuoka next month (March 5-12). I was just wondering what are the recommended places to visit, and restaurants to eat at?
For side trips, we're also thinking of going to Nagasaki, Beppu, Yufuin, and Hiroshima.

However, when we checked, the Kyushu JR pass doesn't cover the Hiroshima area, so we would have to buy the JR Hiroshima pass to go there. And since one pass is quite expensive, we're contemplating on which pass to buy. Which pass would you guys recommend?

Thank you so much.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

Thanks for that ToCoo! link, they have the perfect data-only SIM that I want for my trip in two weeks time. Ordered it for airport pickup.

danowat

Banned
Just about to order my JRPass, that means my trip is getting closer!!, can't wait, our itinerary has been tweaked to the nth degree, so I am hoping everything will be smooth as possible!

Oh, there is snow in Tokio now?

Makes me realize how mild it was around New Year and January. It was really perfect weather for sightseeing and party.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
So, I've pretty much sorted my whole schedule, though I may be able to fit one more thing in on the Monday.

Edit: Fleshed out and finalised.

Day 1: Thursday
• Land: Flight
• Pickup: ToCoo! Data NanoSIM from Terminal 1 Telecomsquare
• Travel: Tokyo Shuttle @ Terminal 1, South Wing, Bus Stop 31 (1000 Yen)
• Visit: Ikebukuro Sunshine City
◦ Pokémon Center
• Arrive: Hotel
◦ Book Off – Near hotel in Ryōgoku
◦ Eat, relax, explore, sleep

Day 2: Friday
• Visit: Akihabara
◦ Mandarake – Used merch shop
◦ Lashinbang – Used merch shop
◦ Super Potato – Used merch shop
◦ Hard Off – Used merch shop
◦ The Granvania – Cheap tavern maid cafe
◦ MOGRA – Dance club (Events from 6:00pm-10:00pm, 11:00pm onwards)

Day 3: Saturday
• Visit: Oi Racecourse Flea Market
• Visit: Ghibli Museum
• Visit: Hard Off (Owadamachi, Hachioji)
• Visit: Nakano Broadway
• Visit: Shinjuku
◦ GODZ – Metal bar
◦ 8bit Cafe – Video game developer hangout

Day 4: Sunday
• Train: Shinjuku Station to Hakone Yumoto
◦ Buy Hakone Free Pass (2-Day) for 5140 Yen
◦ Travel: Odakyu Railway Romance Car (781, Hakone 81, 7:00am-8:32am)
◦ Timetable @ http://www.odakyu.jp/english/romancecar/timetable/a02.html
• Visit: Hakone-Yumoto
◦ Evangelion Store
◦ Hakone Toy Museum
• Travel: Hakone-Yumoto to Gora (Rail), Gora to Sounzan (Cablecar), Sounzan to Togendai (Ropeway)
• Travel: Togendai to Hakone-machi (Boat), Hakone-machi to Moto-Hakone (Walk)
◦ Checkpoint Museum
◦ Ancient Cedar Avenue
◦ Hakone Shrine
• Travel: Moto-Hakone to Hakone-Yumoto (Bus)
• Train: Hakone Yumoto to Shinjuku Station

Day 5: Monday
• Visit: Shibuya
◦ Tower Records – Record shop
◦ RECOfan – Record shop
◦ HMV Used – Record shop
◦ Disk Union Metal – Record shop
• Visit: Tokyo Skytree

Day 6: Tuesday
• Leave: Hotel
• Travel: Asakusabashi Station, Asakusa Line @ 6:37am to Narita @ 7:38am (1290 Yen)
• Leave: Flight

Does this all seem time manageable? This is going to be some real fun for my first visit.

Top Bottom