• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

kubus

Oh god why is Narita Airport so far away... If only there was a direct connection between my country and Haneda Airport, but nope.

Can't believe I have to pay 3000+ yen and travel for 2 hours just to get to the airport tomorrow. I'm seeing lots of ways of getting there though, anyone have a recommended method? I'm leaving from Musashi Sakai station. I'm currently thinking about taking the Keisei Skyliner from Nippori. It's too late to reserve any seats, but as long as I can just board it with my suica, I'm ok :p. Bus is the most comfortable option, but would probably not be a wise idea in the morning, since it can get stuck in traffic, I guess.

I hate pre-departure stress...

Fireblend

Banned
We used the Skyliner during our trip and it was fine. Why can't you make a reservation though? I'm pretty sure when we were going back I made one the night before. I'm actually not sure if you can board it with your Suica; hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

We used the Skyliner during our trip and it was fine. Why can't you make a reservation though? I'm pretty sure when we were going back I made one the night before. I'm actually not sure if you can board it with your Suica; hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

You'd need to buy a separate seat reservation ticket, but the base fare could possibly be paid by Suica if you wanted to I think.

kubus

Oh crap I must've mixed it up with something else that said you can only reserve seats during morning hours the day before or something. Just checked the site again and it looks like I can still reserve online!

You'd need to buy a separate seat reservation ticket, but the base fare could possibly be paid by Suica if you wanted to I think.
If I can't use Suica I'm dead, I might not have enough cash left to buy a ticket there without going to an ATM first. I'll try and see if I can reserve through the site though my credit card is fully used up :'). Fuck.

Zatoth

Oh crap I must've mixed it up with something else that said you can only reserve seats during morning hours the day before or something. Just checked the site again and it looks like I can still reserve online!

If I can't use Suica I'm dead, I might not have enough cash left to buy a ticket there without going to an ATM first. I'll try and see if I can reserve through the site though my credit card is fully used up :'). Fuck.

Can't you just return the Suica and get the money + deposit on it?

kubus

It's okay, since I found out now I can create options, if I found out tomorrow at the ticket gate, I would be fucked lol. So I'm glad I asked here.

Can't you just return the Suica and get the money + deposit on it?
I guess I could but I'm coming back next month again, so I'd have to rebuy one again :p. I can still withdraw a little bit of money from an ATM, but if that wasn't the case this would've been a good solution I probably wouldn't have thought of myself xD

edit: OK Skyliner ticket bought! Now the only challenge is to arrive at Nippori on time. Should be do-able :p.

eosos

Banned
Hey All - My SO and I finalized our flights and hotels in Japan finally! Now we just need to find out where to eat.. we'll be in Tokyo for 2 days, Osaka/Kyoto for 4 days, and then Hakone for 2 days. Anyone have any must go to suggestions?? Budget isn't a major concern since hotels and flights are free (points yoo). I also have no idea on how to reserve a restaurant...

Hey All - My SO and I finalized our flights and hotels in Japan finally! Now we just need to find out where to eat.. we'll be in Tokyo for 2 days, Osaka/Kyoto for 4 days, and then Hakone for 2 days. Anyone have any must go to suggestions?? Budget isn't a major concern since hotels and flights are free (points yoo). I also have no idea on how to reserve a restaurant...

It's a tad short for it but I highly suggest Kamakura and Nara if you can make it.
When you're in Osaka visit Osaka Castle and Dotonbori Street.
In Kyoto visit the old Imperial palace.
In Tokyo visit Meiji-shrine, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Shibuya crossing and Ueno-park.

creid

I asked someone at the hotel front desk to call and make a reservation for me, that's probably your best bet if you're not fluent :p

NoPiece

I'm looking for some Tokyo budget tips. I have two days of business travel paid for (staying at the The Prince Gallery Tokyo), and have extended the trip 4 more days on my own dime, but I only have dimes to spend (not literally). I'd be grateful for help in two areas.

First, what are some good touristy things to do that have low or no admission fees (Parks, museums, temples, historical buildings, etc..)?

Second, I'm looking for an Airbnb in Shinjuku, Shibuya, or Roppongi. Is one of those areas preferable, considering access to stuff in my first question, and also access to cheap food.

edit: it's my first trip to Japan

cj_iwakura

I stayed at the Omori Seaside Inn in Shinagawa. Cozy, cheap, and it's near the train station.

Also, Nakano Broadway and Ueno Park are a blast, and you don't need to spend a dime.

First, what are some good touristy things to do that have low or no admission fees (Parks, museums, temples, historical buildings, etc..)?

Second, I'm looking for an Airbnb in Shinjuku, Shibuya, or Roppongi. Is one of those areas preferable, considering access to stuff in my first question, and also access to cheap food.

Check out Asakusa and the Sensoji Temple, Ueno Park, Yoyogi Park and Meiji Shrine, go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building and check out the view from the top and go to Zojoji Temple so you can get a picture of it with Tokyo Tower in the background.

Look for something in Shinjuku.

ys45

I am making a list of the stores and places I need to check out to get some video games stuff and I was wondering if anyone know a good place in Tokyo that sells video game soundtracks?

I know there is some in Mandarake and Super Potato but it was mostly used stuff and not really recent releases when I was there last year (unless I missed them) .

Fritz

I just realised that we completely miss some recent travel pics. Come on people! Throw us left home some bones here.

I am making a list of the stores and places I need to check out to get some video games stuff and I was wondering if anyone know a good place in Tokyo that sells video game soundtracks?

Try Tower Records Akihabara on the 7th floor of Yodobashi Camera for newer stuff. Could try Book Off Akihabara as well, but I think there's more of anime music and J-Pop there.

I know there is some in Mandarake and Super Potato but it was mostly used stuff and not really recent releases when I was there last year (unless I missed them) .

Book Off is excellent too

Gin

going for three weeks to Japan

Making transfers from Tokyo -> Hakone -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Hiroshima / Miyajima > Tokyo
(With day trips in between)

JR pass.. most accommodations and wifi box already paid for.

Q How much YEN should I bring? what would be ideal -> Was told 75000 is okay - any suggestions?

Q Is there any medication I should buy prior to the trip - I am reading a few cases how people get sick sometimes from food - anything to bring for tummy troubles - or helping to sleep with jet lag?

Q How much YEN should I bring? what would be ideal -> Was told 75000 is okay - any suggestions?

Bring enough to survive for 3 days (that includes transport and the cost of your staying place if you've not paid for that already) and bring a credit card for withdrawing money from ATMs.

Gin

I keep reading how credit cards are not accepted as much... much better to bring YEN -

Is this assumption correct?

I keep reading how credit cards are not accepted as much... much better to bring YEN -

For buying stuff in shops, yes. But not for taking cash out from ATMs. ATMs in 7-Eleven, post offices, (and a lot of Lawson and Family Marts) accept Visa, Mastercard, JCB, etc.

Zoe

It's gotten better. Your lodging should take credit cards. Most chain restaurants and stores take credit cards.

Get a feel for the situation once you've settled before committing yourself to 100% cash.

Always make sure you have a few 10k notes on you. Use card as much as possible and wind down your paper when you're getting to the last few days of the trip.

Last time I was there, every larger shop I went to accepted card. The only issue I had was with smaller, more remote places and shops that only accepted chip since the US was in the dark ages at the time.

Gin

Thank you both for the feedback above ^^^ :)

I will bring a mix of credit card and YEN - will use the YEN more in stores

I did purchase the JR pass - someone recommended that I try Hyperdia to search routes
IE - Narita to Shinjuku for example

I find the amount of options on HYPERDIA to be overwhelming. -.-
How do you make sense of this site????

I am worried that my JR pass wont cover all the route options it states

I am worried that my JR pass wont cover all the route options it states

Under options on Hyperdia uncheck 'Airplane', 'Airport Shuttle Bus', 'Private Railway' and 'NOZOMI / MIZUHO / HAYABUSA (SHINKANSEN)' and everything else listed should be covered.

The first time I went to Japan in 2006 very few places accepted credit cards, but the last time I was there in 2014 almost every single place I went to accepted at least Visa and Master Card, and most took Amex.

The first time I went to Japan in 2006 very few places accepted credit cards, but the last time I was there in 2014 almost every single place I went to accepted at least Visa and Master Card, and most took Amex.

Also, Discover has a contract with JCB in Japan so a Discover card probably has more access than anything.

JulianImp

I always walked around with ¥10-15K in my wallet, but you can always withdraw from ATMs if you need more. For me, cash was mostly used for charging my Suica and eating out, since most stores do accept credit card. I even used mine to pay for a ¥300 CD once, which was weird for me since that kind of thing would be unacceptable in Argentina (most stores ask you to spend a certain amount of money before they'd accept card payments).

Also, if you're into gachas, then you'd do well to have ¥600-900 in ¥100 coins for that.

Finally, remember to pay with your coins whenever you can, since you'll be getting an awful lot of them and they'll just keep piling up if you pay with bills.

Zoe

Some Yen bills are also much larger than North American currency and might not fit perfectly in a wallet from those countries.

You should buy a Japanese wallet at one of the 100 yen shops anyway because they'll usually have a coin pouch and a little window for your Suica.

When I went in Summer, I just took a shitload of Yen and didn't bother with my card as I'd read that it can be flaky, especially outside of Tokyo. Came back with a metric fuck-ton of coins.

grego9198

You should buy a Japanese wallet at one of the 100 yen shops anyway because they'll usually have a coin pouch and a little window for your Suica.

Getting a coin pouch is key, you end up with so many coins if you start paying with bills.

I went to Japan (Fujisawa, Saitama, Kyushu) in 2013 for 3 weeks and my work gave me like 70,000Y in spending cash for meals and entertainment and I returned around 50,000Y of it because I used my chip CC in 90% of the situations. Only a few really small restaurants were cash only. Also used it to pay back some coworkers that put the bill on their CC.

If you need more cash you can always withdraw it at the 7-11 ATMs.

Some Yen bills are also much larger than North American currency and might not fit perfectly in a wallet from those countries.

Yeah, that's why I liked the 10 x 1000 Yen option at ATMs. The perfect amount of money one needs for the daily needs. Though still left the country with a bunch of coins.

Hey all. I'll be visiting for the first time in April.

Part of me has the generic plan of visiting Tokyo and Okinawa, Tokushima, Kyoto for the arcades, food and sightseeing already. For the first 3-4 days of my trip.

But I Don't really like planning trips because my family ruined that aspect as a kid for me. So many trips ruined by trying to stick to a schedule I'll be damned if I let it ruin a lifetime dream.

I'm planning on winging a few spots like Tashirojima, Hirojima and whatever parts of the countryside I can access with the train pass.

And spending the last few days in downtown areas checking out the micro bars, video game themed restaurants and bars.

I read the links in the OP and available info but any gaffers here can recommended anything that's not generally covered there?

Also, I saw that curry on the other page and want to get a lot of pre made curries and other food oddities you can't get here. What's the general restrictions you've run into bringing food and drink back? What other stuff like it should i get? Love all kinds of food so anything that bring that flavor back with me to the state's is welcome.

I also am going for 10 days or so. I'm rambling at this point. I'm just so fucking excited like you wouldn't believe that this is happening so soon.

Also, does Japan have a period of validity for passports? I can't find a solid answer. I just got my passport and curious to know if it has to be valid for a set amount before i can go.

Hey all. I'll be visiting for the first time in April.

Part of me has the generic plan of visiting Tokyo and Okinawa, Tokushima, Kyoto for the arcades, food and sightseeing already. For the first 3-4 days of my trip.

I'm planning on winging a few spots like Tashirojima, Hirojima and whatever parts of the countryside I can access with the train pass.

You're going to Okinawa? You know you have to fly there, right? And you'll spend more time on trains, planes and moving around than actually doing anything if you're gonna visit all those places in just 10 days.

Also, does Japan have a period of validity for passports? I can't find a solid answer. I just got my passport and curious to know if it has to be valid for a set amount before i can go.

Your passport have to be valid for the period you're there.

You're going to Okinawa? You know you have to fly there, right? And you'll spend more time on trains, planes and moving around than actually doing anything if you're gonna visit all those places in just 10 days.

Your passport have to be valid for the period you're there.

totally appreciate your honesty with this response. People really end up overplaying how fast bullet trains are to get around.

Honestly I think I'm just counting my eggs before they hatch. I'm thinking I want to streamline my plans this year and save plans for next year as well.

Maybe just Tokyo and Kyoto. Or Tokyo and the countryside.

But I'm going to cat island this year regardless

I'm thinking I want to streamline my plans this year and save plans for next year as well.

Maybe just Tokyo and Kyoto. Or Tokyo and the countryside.

But I'm going to cat island this year regardless

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

Make sure you check how you get to the cat island though:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5031.html

Have to take this ferry:
http://ajishimaline.com

Make sure you make the last ferry back so you don't get stuck on the island :p

danowat

Banned
Our CC's and DC's don't have very good exchange rates, and they also do a per transaction exchange fee, so it can get very expensive if you use them a lot.

Now if you bank with a bank who's cards don't do this, then fine, but it pays to be aware.

To this end we are going to take about 300k with us.

Zoe

If you have a travel card like one of Chase's or any Capital One cards, you should have no foreign transaction fees.

Even then, my bank's withdrawal fee was only about 1% which is comparable to what an exchange place would charge.

danowat

Banned
If you have a travel card like one of Chase's or any Capital One cards, you should have no foreign transaction fees.

Even then, my bank's withdrawal fee was only about 1% which is comparable to what an exchange place would charge.

Even then you are still tied in with their particular exchange rate, which is usually not very competitive.

I think you can get away with credit card, but cash is much more flexible and universal.It made it easier for day to day budgeting when using cash, and I had 60,000 yen leftover.I found also in Japan, it is easier to use cash than my home country Canada. You basically just put the yen into a little tray onto the counter, they take it, and if you have change, they count it out for you. They'll typically put the coins onto the receipt, so your hands don''t get dirty from the change. I also found it easier to give exact change due to also being able to have the 50 yen coin.

If you need to get more cash, there are 7/11 ATM's around where you can withdraw money and accepts a lot for different cards such as Mastercard and Visa. I was also able to withdraw money from my BMO debit card as well.

I think you can get away with credit card, but cash is much more flexible and universal.It made it easier for day to day budgeting when using cash, and I had 60,000 yen leftover.I found also in Japan, it is easier to use cash than my home country Canada. You basically just put the yen into a little tray onto the counter, they take it, and if you have change, they count it out for you. They'll typically put the coins onto the receipt, so your hands don''t get dirty from the change. I also found it easier to give exact change due to also being able to have the 50 yen coin.

If you need to get more cash, there are 7/11 ATM's around where you can withdraw money and accepts a lot for different cards such as Mastercard and Visa. I was also able to withdraw money from my BMO debit card as well.

Just curious- how long did you stay and how much Yen did you have at the start? I'm going with about 2K since I cemented my plans already but seeing this this thread makes me feel like I could get away with less. But I'm also thinking just taking another 1K just in case anyway.

Just curious- how long did you stay and how much Yen did you have at the start? I'm going with about 2K since I cemented my plans already but seeing this this thread makes me feel like I could get away with less. But I'm also thinking just taking another 1K just in case anyway.

I think you forgot a zero here.

I came with nothing to Japan and got my first 10k Yen at the Narita Airport. It was also cheaper that way than getting money from my local bank in Germany.
It looks like it's more a question about what is the better deal for you - ATM and trying to use credit cards so often as possible or going with your planned budget in cash.

Top Bottom