• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

Boss Man

..." said Miyamoto. "But I can't really say"
I found that a bit funny.
KuGsj.gif

He's right about it not being a powerful product though. It doesn't shamelessly hide itself in the Christmas gift for your children demographic while dragging out a couple of iterations of the same few games that their loyal fanbase chases on a fishing line for each of their consoles' lifespans and it doesn't even look like an Apple product.

Not that the Vita is actually worth a shit right now. Seems like they're making the same mistakes they did with the PSP. PSP was a great piece of hardware with not much going on, PS Vita is an awesome piece of hardware with not much going on. But smug Nintendo fans are smug.

Vinci

Danish
KuGsj.gif

He's right about it not being a powerful product though. It doesn't shamelessly hide itself in the Christmas gift for your children demographic while dragging out a few iterations of the same few games that their loyal fanbase chases on a fishing line for each of their consoles' lifespans and it doesn't even look like an Apple product.

The 3DS doesn't look like an Apple product either. Too many edges.

jgmo870

Banned
They do? Have some evidence to support that?

Not empirical evidence like actual research. But I'm sure you don't have any evidence for your statement either. The PS3's early sales, though, and what I've heard from consumers while working in retail, make me think that people are willing to spend that much money on a hobby that was much cheaper.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Wii Sports illustrated what could be done with motion controls which was the selling point for the Wii.

So? The 3DS came with things that showed what it could do such as the AR cards and obviously the 3D effects. It worked for me and most of my friends after I showed it to them. Also if it were up to me I would have worked on getting the better games out first instead of well...Pilot Wings or Nintendogs. Don't get me wrong I liked Pilot Wings but I don't think people wanted that game day one compared to the likes of Mario or Zelda.

jgmo870

Banned
People don't value gaming machines in the first place, they value games.

They value both. You can't tell me that most people don't have a limit on how much they're willing to spend on a gaming machine. Not because of their finances either but because it's simply a gaming machine.

Osietra

Banned
KuGsj.gif

He's right about it not being a powerful product though. It doesn't shamelessly hide itself in the Christmas gift for your children demographic while dragging out a couple of iterations of the same few games that their loyal fanbase chases on a fishing line for each of their consoles' lifespans and it doesn't even look like an Apple product.
Awesome.

rpmurphy

It definitely took at least several months for the 3DS to fill out. Hopefully for the Vita, it will get some big releases during the Fall season to start leaving the post-launch drought.

sphinx

the piano man
why are people so worked up over this?

it's like any Sony rep saying "nintendo needs better online infrastructure"... that's a freaking fact.

jgmo870

Banned
So? The 3DS came with things that showed what it could do such as the AR cards and obviously the 3D effects. It worked for me and most of my friends after I showed it to them. Also if it were up to me I would have worked on getting the better games out first instead of well...Pilot Wings or Nintendogs. Don't get me wrong I liked Pilot Wings but I don't think people wanted that game day one compared to the likes of Mario or Zelda.

What do you mean so? I'm saying that Wii Sports was not the selling point, motion controls were.

Adam J.

Nintendo sure has been talking up the the importance of strong titles being available at launch--I'll remember this when they launch the Wii U.

Cipherr

I don't understand where people get off saying the Vita isn't going well or is going too.

Because people are speaking about the markets reaction to the Vita, which has been weak everywhere by comparison to any launch of hardware by the big three ever. Thats all, noone is encroaching on your opinion of how good the launch lineup is, but it cannot be argued that the Vitas traction in the marketplace right now is slow. Slow as hell.

All it really needs is a killer app title like Mario 3D land or Mario kart 7 is to the 3DS.

Believe it or not, you just agreed with what Miyamoto said in this interview. Go read it.

People should say that at every opportunity to Nintendo.

I would love to see this just to see if people would Spring in the thread and try to decry what is the obvious freaking truth, just to protect the hive.

Osietra

Banned
At least we can all agree that the sooner Nintendo become a Devco for Apple the better. They share so many aesthetic similarities.

Vinci

Danish
Not empirical evidence like actual research. But I'm sure you don't have any evidence for your statement either. The PS3's early sales, though, and what I've heard from consumers while working in retail, make me think that people are willing to spend that much money on a hobby that was much cheaper.

I think you're misunderstanding me. Often when people bring out the hardware argument, it's in reference to component costs. "Oh, Nintendo is so greedy - they're charging $250 for something that only costs them $120" or something along those lines... whereas those same people might have looked at the PS3 at launch and said, "Damn, those components are so tasty - they're well worth $599!" and then question why anyone would pay $250 for the Wii.

The truth is, the people buying the Wii and those buying the PS3 were doing the exact same thing: They were investing in whatever gave them the experiences they wanted (or could imagine having) via the purchase of that particular hardware. People who bought PS3s had very different things in mind from those who bought the Wii, but neither is truly purchasing the system based on the component costs of the hardware alone.

When I say people don't buy things because of hardware, that's what I'm referring to. No one does. The various sides just find value in different experiences, so they have a hard time understanding one another's perspective.

Offer an experience that is compelling enough to a certain market and they'll pay a helluva lot for it. People who bought the Wii off eBay in excess of $450 are a good example of that.

Famassu

You can't even argue it. Games like

Wipeout 2048
Super Stardust HD
Tales from the Space
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Hot Shots Golf 6
Unit 13
+ quite many decent or even great ports like Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Virtua Tennis 4, Disgaea 3 etc.
+ upcoming games like Gravity Rush, DJ Max Technika

and the like all wipe the floor with the shit that 3DS had to offer for the first ~6 months (apart from OoT 3D) and the hardware & OS are so, SO much better (+ it's region-free + PSN store is already filled with mostly super-cheap content in the form of PSP games no one played and soon a huge catalog of PS1 games as well, you don't have to wait like you do for Nintendo to give a shit to release some Game Boy games on Virtual Console), not to even mention it's not as grossly overpriced as 3DS.

Compare that to.. uhh.. Pilotwings, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Street Fighter IV and... yeah...

Also, note: I have a 3DS and I've liked many 3DS games. It's just that it pales in comparison to Vita (as far as its launch & post-launch goes, now it's looking much healthier).

Why can't dedicated portable game machines just die already? They are going to soon anyway?

Wow Miyamoto trash talking! The arrogance of Nintendo strikes again...

What a fool. Getting too old and stubborn.

Still no official Monster Hunter on your precious Vita? I think Nintendo dun pulled a boner on all you Vita fans.. Moneyhatting about.. then Miyamoto comes out dual wielding gunz blastin and mowing you mo-fo's down.. I like his style, acting all Ninja n shit.. Oh snap, he just leveled up now! The butt hurt is only gettin bigger!

KuGsj.gif

Not that the Vita is actually worth a shit right now. Seems like they're making the same mistakes they did with the PSP. PSP was a great piece of hardware with not much going on, PS Vita is an awesome piece of hardware with not much going on. But smug Nintendo fans are smug.

This thread is going goddamned PLACES.

I do my hardcore gaming on PC or console, portables I just want to fit my lifestyle. I consider dedicated portable play very socially antiquated i.e. child's play only.

I don't...more of a classic Nintendo fan..

Lol. What makes other platforms less kiddy, not to mention that iOS/Android are included among your platforms of choice?

Besides, Nintendo would never move their handheld games to mobile anyway for one simple reason: they'd lose out on royalties.

And again, physical controls are irreplaceable.

fernoca

Not surprised at the replies based on just the title without reading the rest; though the main post was edited it seems, so maybe the main post didn't had a link to the full interview or something?

Balb

Going to have to agree with him until at least E3. The Vita is the only major platform in over a decade that I haven't had the urge to go out and buy. Just doesn't have many interesting games coming up that we know of in my opinion.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I do my hardcore gaming on PC or console, portables I just want to fit my lifestyle. I consider dedicated portable play very socially antiquated i.e. child's play only.

In other words, if the 3DS was also a smartphone, you would buy it. Because it wouldnt make you look like you're playing with a "child toy"?

This thread is a big facepalm.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
The comments section of this article on N4G has a more mature response than it does here. N4G! That site is Sony-central.

It's good to know that more people share my opinions on that site.

I have seen many terrible things on that site...never again.

orioto

Good Art™
I was afraid with the thread title too but at least Shige doesn't act like a hearltess troll with the poor Vita!

Of course he's right.
But it's worse than that. Nintendo has some ip that are instant killer apps on portable, as simple as that.

Sony could have had a, let's say, more defined and exclusive to the vita line-up, that wouldn't have changed a thing i guess.

Vita just doesn't appeal to the actual psp demographic, when the psp isn't even really dead, far from that. It's as simple as that.

Osietra

Banned
Class wars.
We need some sort of 'chill out zone'. Just y'know a chilling space.

As a social worker with disturbed children I have many techniques, but the best one is the 'using the spoon'. You all take hold of the spoon (or whatever implement you use for cooking) and say something , you then pass the spoon on.

I could see it working really well here.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
What opinion is that? I think it's a pretty good site as a source for news. It's easier to miss things on NeoGAF than it is on N4G.

I won't deny that, but the Sony bias was ridiculous there. Wouldn't be surprised if people still acted like they did way back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It certainly is reasonable, but I do feel that it is a more compelling product at this point in its life than the 3DS was at a comparable point. It's just that natural lull that you get with a new platform.

-MB-

Vita is a much better product and has a much better launch period than 3DS, yet it doesn't have Mario or Pokemon. That will possibly end up being its ultimate downfall.

Better launch period sure, better product? Not so sure about that.

Putting Nintendo fans up against Sony fans is like the worst basis for any thread ever. The two worst sections for fanboyism on GAF.

I don't see anything wrong with his statement, personally.

Top Bottom