• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

TriGen

I wonder if he thought the same thing when the 3DS had nothing (clearly not the case as of a while ago). They are both basically doing the same thing except one has 3D and the other is powerful.

He actually did kind of acknowledge that the 3DS had the same problem. Hopefully Nintendo and Sony both realize from this that the Wii U and PS4 need to have a good first-party game or two at launch to help build that install base.

And? The fact is that the 3DS did not live up to Nintendo´s expectation twice says otherwise. Nintendo had to lower their expectations twice and it still came under those expectations. To say under preformed is very correct statement.
But that's not what you said either. Underperforming slighty =/= not taking off. Look at the supplemental info I posted above, would you describe that as not taking off?

PS3 has NEVER actually hit annual targets iirc. It usually comes close enough in recent years that it's not much of a difference though, like 3DS this year.

Emitan

But that's not what you said either. Underperforming slighty =/= not taking off. Look at the supplemental info I posted above, would you describe that as not taking off?

PS3 has NEVER actually hit annual targets iirc. It usually comes close enough in recent years that it's not much of a difference though, like 3DS this year.

It's just hitting its stride!

I'm not sure you should be using the worst financial disaster in videogames history as an argument in support of the 3DS, though.

Fucking Ridiculous. GT was developed by PD. Wipeout by the original studio. LBP PSP in cooperation with MM. Killzone by GG. HSG by SCEJ.

FYI Bend is in no way, shape or form a B tier studio.
HSG is developed by Clap Hanz, on both consoles and handhelds, not Japan Studio. They produce it though.

MM didn't develop or produce either handheld LBP though, both were outsourced. In this case "in cooperation with" means a whopping zero credited staff from MM were involved in the game. It's PR bullshit, LBP PSP was co-developed by SCE Cambridge and X-Dev alone and MM had basically nothing to actually do with it.

I'm not sure you should be using the worst financial disaster in videogames history as an argument in support of the 3DS, though.
Well more accurately I'm using it's recovery period specifically. A platform missing targets by around a million really isn't so terrible, that's all.

Not that 3DS couldn't or shouldn't be doing better in the west, but it's hardly the disaster some keep incorrectly portraying it as, and it's also something Iwata himself has taken a public stance about improving.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Well more accurately I'm using it's recovery period specifically. A platform missing targets by around a million really isn't so terrible, that's all.

Not that 3DS couldn't or shouldn't be doing better in the west, but it's hardly the disaster some keep incorrectly portraying it as, and it's also something Iwata himself has taken a public stance about improving.

Of course it's a disaster. It's losing money on every unit sold, still not meeting expectations and the price drop prematurely killed off the massively profitable DSi/XL in the process.

It's not a disaster on par with the PS3 but it's still far, far from what Nintendo were ever expecting.

Diablos54

Of course it's a disaster. It's losing money on every unit sold, still not meeting expectations and the price drop prematurely killed off the massively profitable DSi/XL in the process.

It's not a disaster on par with the PS3 but it's still far, far from what Nintendo were ever expecting.
A disaster is an exaggeration. It's selling better than the original DS in every market apart from Japan, where it's had 2 x-mas's and had just risen to heaven. If the 3DS is a disaster, the Vita is... I dunno how to describe it, a meteor hitting the Earth or something.

Nintendo missed their forecast.

Check that, they missed their revised forecast. In almost all cases that happens, that indicates something somewhere has gone badly wrong.

Check that, they missed their revised forecast. In almost all cases that happens, that indicates something somewhere has gone badly wrong.

I still don't quite get why Nintendo expected 3DS to move so much more software in the West than it actually did, particularly considering the paucity of the 2012 lineup thus far and in the next couple months. Why, for instance, is there no first-party release in June?

I expect things to improve quite a bit in the latter half of the year - NOA and NOE have such a backlog that it would be hard not to - but still.

Anustart

Nintendo could have predicted the 3DS would sell as much as the Wii and DS combined, then if it didn't youre saying something is horribly wrong?

Just because a product doesn't meet the expectations of sales means neither that something went wrong or it is selling poorly.

Nintendo could have predicted the 3DS would sell as much as the Wii and DS combined, then if it didn't youre saying something is horribly wrong?

Just because a product doesn't meet the expectations of sales means neither that something went wrong or it is selling poorly.

In that case, something would still have indeed gone badly wrong, it's just that the 'something wrong' would be with the heads of the people running Nintendo.

Forecasts are almost always conservative. Revised forecasts especially. Downwards revised forecasts double especially. And Nintendo still missed them.

Whether a game or not is a fit for a handheld is really up to the design of the game itself. There are some games that you can't just port to the handheld, so in that case devs should really just leverage the IP and completely tailor the game to the target hardware.

If CoD Vita is a straight port it most likely won't have monster sales. If they create a fresh and inovative experience for the handheld it may end up great. But this is Treyarch, so don't expect much.

Has it been confirmed that Treyarch is the developer for Vita COD?

Cygnus X-1

True.

Though I wouldn't put it this way. 3DS underperformed, but its sales weren't that bad.

In fact, I would say the problem was centered around the fact that DS and Wii dropped like rocks. This hurt Nintendo a lot. And a lot more than 3DS missing its forecast - since the hardware is sold at a loss and it is questionable if the software now is able to outpace the loss brought by every hardware unit sold.

ShinNL

In that case, something would still have indeed gone badly wrong, it's just that the 'something wrong' would be with the heads of the people running Nintendo.

Forecasts are almost always conservative. Revised forecasts especially. Downwards revised forecasts double especially. And Nintendo still missed them.
I like how you insist how dramatic it is by adding the suggestive word "badly", it's not just wrong, it's badly wrong... then try to defend that statement in a factual way.

Entertaining.

Shtof

If I recall correctly, Miyamoto doesn't even play video games. Take that, aspiring game designers.

I like how you insist how dramatic it is by adding the suggestive word "badly", it's not just wrong, it's badly wrong... then try to defend that statement in a factual way.

Entertaining.

That's because revised forecasts are done specifically to incorporate the most conservative scenario foreseeable so you can still say you beat your forecasts. To miss even a revised forecast is, yes, a sign that something has gone badly wrong.

RpgN

It's unfortunate how the PS Vita has been received so far. Not only does it shine with the hardware, it also had one of the better launch line-up out of the two. In fact, it's one of the best lauch line-up I've experienced. It has Uncharted, WipEout, Everybody's Golf, Super Stardust Delta, Mutant Blobs Attack and Escape Plan. Virtua Tennis 4 on the PS Vita is great and better than the PS3 version. A lot of people seem to enjoy Rayman Origins as well. The 3DS had Pilotwings and...Street Fighter IV?

It might have had a weak reception but it's far from performing weak. Whatever the reasons may be for why it's selling bad (price, competition, more games?), I urge you to stop being sheep about its financial state and enjoy the games it has to offer. Why are you repeating what's being said and spreading all the negativity when the games are here and the hardware is great? The selection of games are varied and there is a bit for everyone. You either don't want to try them and be open to what's on offer or your taste in games is very specific. I'd understand if it was the latter and would apologise for assuming too much, but all this doom and gloom sure is getting out of hand. Especially when it feels it's not warranted.

fernoca

That's because revised forecasts are done specifically to incorporate the most conservative scenario foreseeable so you can still say you beat your forecasts. To miss even a revised forecast is, yes, a sign that something has gone badly wrong.
They do know what "went wrong". They acknowledged that it was because sales didn't took off as much as they expected in NA and Europe. They also cited lack of software and third-party support in those regions and said things were going to change in a few months. If you look at the releases and announcements nearly everything is from Japan, were it's selling the most. "Western" developers haven't said or do much...yet.

So they do recognize what was wrong. Revised forecasts aside, even though the 3DS was doing better than the DS before the price cut, and since then it 's doing even better it was obvious that they expected even better results.

If I recall correctly, Miyamoto doesn't even play video games. Take that, aspiring game designers.
Nope. He said he doesn't play many videogames... outside Nintendo; he still plays a few on top of the ones made by Nintendo.

The one that barely played anything was the previous president; Yamauchi. He was seen a few times as barely knowing how to even handle/hold a controller.

KingJ2002

Did a search, found nothing, lock if old.

Anyway, Miyamoto called the first direct shots at the Vita in an interview with EDGE.

To be fair, he identified the same issues with the 3DS launch:

ORIGINAL LINK

It's the same problem he is identifying that everybody on this board has been calling the Vita out for for months now- it doesn't matter how hi specced your hardware is, a game machine is defined by its games, and Vita, for now at least, lacks any defining games.

we all said the same thing at launch... there's nothing compelling about the vita aside from raw power and them throwing everything but the kitchen sink in the system in terms of specs.

Ultimately... the service and software has to be there to make it a worthwhile purchase or sony is going to have a hard time prying people away from smartphones and their fart apps.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is why I'm expecting at least one big flagship game for Nintendo's U launch. They finally woke up and realised what old Nintendo always understood; you need a strong game to launch with.

I'm fully expecting a new 3D Mario platformer for the U launch.

also, i'm not certain about you guys, but i'm having a blast with my vita so far and i picked it up at launch. i'd certainly be disappointed if the catalog didn't expand from whats currently announced but i don't especially see that happening. plus, being able to go back into the psp/mini/ps1(hopefully soon) catalogs should give enough for a majority of people, don't you think?

BigDug13

also, i'm not certain about you guys, but i'm having a blast with my vita so far and i picked it up at launch. i'd certainly be disappointed if the catalog didn't expand from whats currently announced but i don't especially see that happening. plus, being able to go back into the psp/mini/ps1(hopefully soon) should give enough for a majority of people, don't you think?

Not sure. What is Sony doing to address the bag full of UMD games that I have and PS1 CD's? How do I play those on a Vita?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
pdcFE.png

You sure are lucky that 4chan doesn't have a shockimage when hotlink.

99%

Vita is the best piece of hardware thats gonna tank since the Dreamcast unless something happens.

But I think Myamoto is wrong on one thing, it does have cool games already, better then the 3DS had at the same time.

Problem is the crazy price and that the target demographic for it has smartphones, while the 3DS can rely on sales for kids who still get toys, but even that market is getting smaller.

In the end I think Nintendos approach of treating the 3DS like a pure toy is a much smarter move in todays market.

Zee-Row

Banned
I think the Vita had a much better launch line up then the 3DS. But it may have blown it load a little too much since newer games are slowly coming out for the Vita.

MYE

Sony needs to role out their own Mario, Pokemon, Smash-type IPs for their portable systems STAT.

If you cant bring new stuff that works and sells just as well, shamefully copy away i say. But at least copy it right.
The AllStars thing, as hilariously shitty as it looks right now, is at least a start. But guess what, they put it on the PS3 SMH.

MYE

And whoever said sony should market the Vita as a toy. You are right, regardless of intention.

The market doesnt want more high-tech, multi-media device thingies that also play games. It wants more consoles

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Sony needs to put more top tier developers on the Vita to provide quality game experience. Although, I'm not sure if that alone will help. Sony really doesn't have any platform sellers as big as Mario/Mario Kart and Pokemon. Sony had Monster Hunter going for them in Japan, but Nintendo now has that also.

I agree with Miyamoto though, it needs more software. Although, like he said, the 3DS was in the same state, at least we knew about a number of upcoming titles still. For the Vita I don't really see anything appealing besides Persona 4 The Golden and Gravity Rush. I need Sony to give me more reasons to buy one, I'm totally willing to provided that the software is there.

ASIS

Yes, they said it was the lacking software for the launch period. By the way what is Vita's forecast for the moment?

Ive said it before, but sony needs to do 2 things to remedy this situation but they may prove expensive.

Mandate every PSN release from here on in must have a PSvita version outside of PS3 GOD releases and DLC/Expansions.

Give devs all the support and dev kits to make this happen.

Likewise, Find the most profitable and highest rated PSN releases and approach those devs in thinking of making a Vita version.

Imagine Flower, Ecochrome , pixeljunk eden, Crash Commando , Cubiod, Castle crashers, Scoitt pilgrim etc on the device

Im not saying sony should be concentrating solely on ports of PSN titles, but that would do alot more to bring people on board the platform, and while would need some dev time wouldnt need as much as a brand new I.P from scratch.

There is No excuse in my mind that games like journey, Sonic 4, Hell Yeah! and Zen pinball dont have vita ports in the works, even if they are released significantly later.

Vitas future does not lie in Retail AAA titles, downloadable or not. It lies in smaller titles, more substantial that the app store, but still significantly cheaper/shorter/more pure gameplay-focused than PS3 titles. £20 max.

Foffy

Banned
Sony needs to put more top tier developers on the Vita to provide quality game experience. Although, I'm not sure if that alone will help. Sony really doesn't have any platform sellers as big as Mario/Mario Kart and Pokemon. Sony had Monster Hunter going for them in Japan, but Nintendo now has that also.

I agree with Miyamoto though, it needs more software. Although, like he said, the 3DS was in the same state, at least we knew about a number of upcoming titles still. For the Vita I don't really see anything appealing besides Persona 4 The Golden and Gravity Rush. I need Sony to give me more reasons to buy one, I'm totally willing to provided that the software is there.

I have no idea if it'll happen. The problem I see with the Vita is the exact same problem that happened with PSP. With the PSP, outside of Japan, they only marketed titles that tried to emulate the console they came from, like Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, and God of War. The issue with the Vita is now they've applied this console focus on a handheld to Japan.

I'm not surprised the change in philosophy is now causing Japan to not want such a platform.

orioto

Good Art™
Ive said it before, but sony needs to do 2 things to remedy this situation but they may prove expensive.

Mandate every PSN release from here on in must have a PSvita version outside of PS3 GOD releases and DLC/Expansions.

Give devs all the support and dev kits to make this happen.

Likewise, Find the most profitable and highest rated PSN releases and approach those devs in thinking of making a Vita version.

Imagine Flower, Ecochrome , pixeljunk eden, Crash Commando , Cubiod, Castle crashers, Scoitt pilgrim etc on the device

Im not saying sony should be concentrating solely on ports of PSN titles, but that would do alot more to bring people on board the platform, and while would need some dev time wouldnt need as much as a brand new I.P from scratch.

There is No excuse in my mind that games like journey, Sonic 4, Hell Yeah! and Zen pinball dont have vita ports in the works, even if they are released significantly later.

Vitas future does not lie in Retail AAA titles, downloadable or not. It lies in smaller titles, more substantial that the app store, but still significantly cheaper/shorter/more pure gameplay-focused than PS3 titles. £20 max.

This this this.
And even when games aren't exclusive, (even if people suddenly became totally unimpressed and blazed by what you can do on a portable), dev should realize that a game on PS3 doesn't mean the same on a Vita.

Like for example, something like Daytona USA. I don't know if it tanked or not on downloadable platforms, but i see how it's just an old game with unworthy graphics on a PS3, and it doesn't have a lot of value to impress on your hdtv screen or compared to high profile racers.

Now, Daytona USA arcade, on a portable... i don't know, that's crazy to me! But i guess i still have this .. i don't know, people with Vita are exactly like the Louis Ck plane story, exactly.

You're playing Marvel vs Capcom 3, which is a recent arcade and PS360 game, on a fucking portable, on an oled screen! And people are like "oh that's oooold, i want new, what's next" That's not old, that's in your fucking hands!!!

Anyway, what i wanted to say is that many psn games can have a lot more value on Vita. I mean take Journey. On PS3 well, you got your PS3 and that's a cool game you can buy on it, ok. On Vita, it's something that would make you think "i can play Journey on the Vita fuck yeah!" And 3ds doesn't have every kind of games, so Sony should work on that difference.

DiscoJer

The trouble is, the app store is not as shallow as people seem to think it is. It has games that directly compete with PSN games.

The only space the Vita can compete in it AAA games, and it just doesn't have many (any, really except Uncharted).

It needs killer AAA games, one that people will play and play and play - Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, not the sort like Uncharted that people play once for 6-8 hours then never touch again.

The trouble is, the app store is not as shallow as people seem to think it is. It has games that directly compete with PSN games.

The only space the Vita can compete in it AAA games, and it just doesn't have many (any, really except Uncharted).

It needs killer AAA games, one that people will play and play and play - Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, not the sort like Uncharted that people play once for 6-8 hours then never touch again.

nonsense. the vita differentiates itself from anything in the app store by the simple fact it has buttons.

AAA titles mean AAA budgets ,AAA dev time and AAA risk.

until vita proves itself to be a sales beast, nobody is going to greenlight that. right now the focus is keeping the platform alive not competing with apple. that can come later if it needs to at all.

And most importantly, if you concentrate on making sure there are tons of smaller titles built for the vita to choose from, not just PSP games, it bridges the gap between the odd "must have" AAA title that comes out every month. that in turn means higher profit for publishers due to higher attach rates.

what you have now are a niche audience for the vita that's getting more and more impatient.

Also I find it amazing that Sony did not follow Microsoft's lead and mandate every vita game must have a demo. demos are not just marketing tools. with a new system they keep a player occupied until a title they really want comes out. if someone is using their vita daily, even just to play demos, it beats them leaving it on a shelf to gather dust and just forget about.

AAA titles mean AAA budgets ,AAA dev time and AAA risk.

Until vita proves itself to be a sales beast, nobody is going to greenlight that.

you have a point, this creates a dilema where ppl demand big budget titles near or on release but no one wants their AAA risk to bomb. So everyone waits it out and looks at sales before anyone reaches for their proverbial guns.

theBishop

Banned
And whoever said sony should market the Vita as a toy. You are right, regardless of intention.

The market doesnt want more high-tech, multi-media device thingies that also play games. It wants more consoles

After I read this post, I removed the Netflix app from my 3DS. Gotta keep it pure.

Top Bottom