• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"For Exposure" is one of my favoirte twitter accounts

joe2187

Banned
https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt is a twitter account where artists submit conversations they have had with the many many many many people who often ask them for personalized detailed art commissions or writings, animations or personal projects and expect to not pay for it, or compensate them with "Exposure"

Basically they would "benefit" more with working with their brand or project for free than to be paid directly for their work or time. But most often than it's people who think that art takes no effort (what?) and therefore it should be free.

Here are some examples

DDZTUsVVoAEZbNF.jpg:large

DFTQZy5WsAApZ3l.jpg:large

DFBJ-UZUQAAsC9U.jpg:large

DEYj58EU0AAbqoC.jpg

DEYj58HUAAExYMK.jpg

aUIN8mj.jpg

As a working composer, this is all too familiar to me. It makes me sad.

But I can still definitely read these and have a good laugh!

Platy

The beauty of this is that if your job will give you the exposure bigger than you can manage just with your own social media than it CAN pay you

hobozero

"We don't want to pay you and lose you due to insignificant funds, so we might as well not pay you to begin with" might be the stupidest sentence I have ever read.

Omadahl

Banned
What the hell kind of way to treat people is that? I need your services for free because I'm a cheap skate... christ on a crutch.

PSqueak

Banned

These are the ones that piss me off the most, i expect businesses, networks and such to be greedy bastards underestimating the worth of art, but some internet schmuck with a Sapphire avatar totally should know what the artist struggle is like, so she's either being an idiot or intentionally trying to scam the artist while trying to play the "i am a struggling artist, just like you!" card.

Carn82

We Dutch have a similar thing, #tegendebakker. The idea is that you won't ask something like that at your local bakery: 'two loafs of bread please. I won't pay but will say something nice about you'

Agencies that do creative work are subject to this as well. "It would be great for you if you do this work for free, and we'd like a clause written into the agreement stating that our work together is confidential. Do that, and it's possible you'll receive more work from us."

Agency/client relationship. It's great.

5taquitos

I have several friends working in fields where this behavior is extremely common.

People tend to take creative work for granted. "It's just a drawing/logo/small website/etc."

Hey repair man can you replace my alternator and catalytic converter for me? I won't pay you in physical money but I will tell my friends how good of a job you did, and people really respect me a lot so they'll listen!!!

...That last one HAS to be joke, right? I mean, people are stupid and all, but come on! How can someone be that openly stupid consistently in a single piece of written media?

Millennials killing the unpaid work industry
zWVbK.gif

I worked for free at an advertising agency (they called it an internship but I worked just like an employee) and it didn't lead me to a paid job. They just use interns as part of their free labor model to make a higher profit margin.

Somnid

This generalizes far more than people think. Just look at all the stuff that's trying to prop itself up with Kickstarters, Patreons, or losing a battle with ad blockers. Start asking people for what you deserve.

Ragnarok

As someone attempting (unsuccessfully at the moment) to make a living from video production and CG animation, this is something I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Oh, you want a 3 minute long 3D animated music video? What's your budget? $100 huh? Cool.

Oh you want me to cover your event and then edit everything into a fun YouTube video complete with motion graphics and cool transitions? What were you planning on spending? Zero dollars? Awesome.

hobozero

Man what a rabbit hole. I gotta stop reading this. I am in IT so get a tiny bit of this crap from people, but honestly way less than I used to. Seems like coders and artists get the worst of it. That feed is filled with people acting with far more tact and poise than i think I would be capable of in their shoes, good on them.

The incredible part is how insanely upset people get over absolute nonsense bullshit requests:

DDSlNyaUwAAVh2F.jpg

That level of vitriol over a Photoshop of a Disney character as a vampire :|

Where is that gaffer who said civilization is doomed? I think I may have written off his thread too early...

Edit: Also HOLY SHIT JUST REALIZED THAT REQUESTER IS COLLEGE EDUCATED

It's weird when I receive requests for scans of old manuscripts with the promise of payment being free publicity once the patron's work is published.

ShyMel

Ugh at asking the person in the fourth one if they have a stable income. Even if they did, that doesn't mean they should take on side projects/etc. for free.

joe2187

Banned
...That last one HAS to be joke, right? I mean, people are stupid and all, but come on! How can someone be that openly stupid consistently in a single piece of written media?

I work as a chef/cook.

People come up to me "Hey wow, you can cook...can you cater my party?"

"Alright what's your budget?"

"Budget? cant you just cook for me?"

"Well who's going to buy the food?"

"Dont you make the food?"

".........."

Ogodei

DFBJ-UZUQAAsC9U.jpg:large

This one is brilliant. I have no idea whether they're honestly mad or whether they're trying to pull some mind-game to trick people into working for them for free.

Edit: I've seen something like that last one on craigslist before. People who claim to be literary "idea guys" looking for someone to write for them. Although this guy takes it a step further and makes it a creepy relationship pitch too.

Foffy

Banned
Exposure would be totally okay if we weren't a cultish society about jobs as survival value.

People do not have the time for exposure when baseline needs are being failed to be met.

Until this is fixed, exposure is really just unpaid labor, and for this reason it "doesn't count" as real work. Even the ideas of it being easy come into play here which loop right back into that non-canon nonsense.

I am fortunate to have an engineering job but on the weekends and such I like to be a Tournament Organizer for Super Smash Bros. events.

So many times people have asked me to spend my time and money to run their tournaments with no mention of compensation because it's for "the love of the game" or something similar.

Like, don't put in a huge pot bonus to attract top players than build your staff off the backs of hopeful and naïve kids who feel they should be so lucky to do your legwork for you for free because they like the game.

SMH.

I'm just amazed that people haven't done the work and watermarked it with something like "You're a Cunt".

And copyright it if possible because what the heck.

I liked doing art for free sometimes but I'd never mess with these people

Ask them what they want, give 'em the bill and keep it moving if they don't have money

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I've been asked to produce a music video like "black skinhead" for $200

I went back and forth with a guy for 8+ emails talking about how I would key his problematic green screen footage and when I quoted him a very low price he completely ghosted me

This one is bloody incredible.

Yeah, yeah, I totally believe you that you have the biggest whistleblower-leak since you just said it out loud on the internet along with your name and place of business. Good luck getting that "Bigger than Snowden" secret out when the Men in Black ask you to come with them so they can ask some questions.

And there's no leak that people will take more seriously than one communicated via Newgrounds flash-animation.

Oberon

Banned
I've been following that Account for a while now.
It makes me laught and get upset at the same time.
Making art is hard work you idiots

This one is bloody incredible.

Yeah, yeah, I totally believe you that you have the biggest whistleblower-leak since you just said it out loud on the internet along with your name and place of business. Good luck getting that "Bigger than Snowden" secret out when the Men in Black ask you to come with them so they can ask some questions.

And there's no leak that people will take more seriously than one communicated via Newgrounds flash-animation.

lol, exactly...we have the biggest political whistleblower leak of all, but we can only do it as an unfunded cartoon for reasons.

It’s insanely insulting to ask someone to do their work or use their skills for free (sorry, for exposure). You know what also has the ability to grant exposure? Paying jobs

Also fuck unpaid internships

Artists get screwed over so bad. One of my girlfriends customers started an Etsy shop where she reproduced my girlfriend's work (poorly) and she even stole a pattern from the packaging my girlfriend used to send her art. People are fucking insane.

Top Bottom