• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"For Exposure" is one of my favoirte twitter accounts

Some people feel like they don't have to pay for services that don't have a high material cost. Time is money people. Money is used to exchange goods and services, and art creation is a service!

exposure.png

NimbusD

Yep, very familiar with this. Either that or getting asked to do shit for like 29 bucks or whatever, which tbh I don't mind at least people are trying to give what they have, tho I know that some people can afford my actual dates but they just don't think what I do is worth momay.

Again, actually all fine, it only really gets dicey when they don't take no for an answer and think berating me will make me change my mind?

Slayven

Never understood how this works.

You can't get your own shit off the ground, how are you going to signal boost me?

PSqueak

Banned
Never understood how this works.

You can't get your own shit off the ground, how are you going to signal boost me?

They know this, but they think they can trick you into doing it for free.

It's an insult to your intelligence as an artist.

border

As it turns out, those assholes looking to get someone to do 30-60 minutes of animation for free(!!!!) were Men's Rights Activists....the name of their project is "THE RED PILL HARDCORE Radio & TV".

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1424670

Can't wait to see what Snowden-level leak they have uncovered! Hopefully they can find an animator that wants to become world famous.

As it turns out, those assholes looking to get someone to do 30-60 minutes of animation for free(!!!!) were Men's Rights Activists....the name of their project is "THE RED PILL HARDCORE Radio & TV".

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1424670

Can't wait to see what Snowden-level leak they have uncovered! Hopefully they can find an animator that wants to become world famous.

Lmao two of my least favorite things combined, art beggers and redpillers.

I want to make a Terminator like movie in which someone from the future is sent back to stop the first unpaid intern.

I'm low on funds, so I'll need writers and artists working for free to make it a reality

I think at this point I'm more bothered by the idiotic notion a significant number of people have that art is some magical ability you're born with and not a learned skill, like literally everything else. You don't get to conveniently ignore my thousands of hours of practice, blood, sweat, and tears so you can feel justified in asking for hard work for free, convincing yourself that the real reason you suck is because you weren't lucky enough to be born with it, or that art is magical and beyond criticism.

I have gotten variants of "I could never do something like that" spoken with the aforementioned attitude very clearly hidden in the undertones so many times, and it never fails to piss me off. Yes, you could in fact do something like that if you actually wanted to, the same exact way you could go off and become an expert in any number of other things if you took the time to learn. Stop pretending this one technical skill somehow isn't functionally the same as virtually every other technical skill out there.

tl;dr: Compliments, respect, criticism, and curiosity are all great and a lot of artists would love to talk about any of them. "Compliments" and "respect" that are smuggling excuses and entitlement under the radar can piss off.

(For all my efforts to try avoiding having chips on my shoulders, this particular one has persisted).

I love this account. It's real depressing, though.

I have a pretty good reverse For Exposure story. I was shopping around a few of my ideas at Comic Creator Connection at SDCC three years ago, and the artist that I was talking to got morally offended that I had listed Kickstarter as an option for one of my pitches. He went on to give me a lecture about how art gives him life and that he would never sell out, and that none of the other people in the room expect to be paid, either. It was the weirdest shit.

And this is why I didn't want to do art professionally (at least on a contractual basis). I don't have the time or patience for this bullshit.

The issue is that everyone does this stuff for free, so it'll never end.
This is actually a sad reality.

In photoshop request threads on GAF for instance, you'll see a few dozen people ridiculing the OP for the audacity, but someone will always acquiesce.

In my profession - animation - there's the union in California meant to protect artists from shady wages, mandatory long hours, and a wealth of abuses. As much everyone agrees these are necessary to the basic happiness of any employee, there's always someone willing to put in "just a little extra effort" for recognition or an advantage, admittedly sometimes myself included.

When I did primarily contract design and code work I had a freaking website with my rates clearly written in the contact page. And People would still call and email me DAILY asking me to do their shot for free.

I'm inclined to think at this point that people are just idiots.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is actually a sad reality.

In photoshop request threads on GAF for instance, you'll see a few dozen people ridiculing the OP for the audacity, but someone will always acquiesce.

In my profession - animation - there's the union in California meant to protect artists from shady wages, mandatory long hours, and a wealth of abuses. As much everyone agrees these are necessary to the basic happiness of any employee, there's always someone willing to put in "just a little extra effort" for recognition or an advantage, admittedly sometimes myself included.

Yeah, it's worse for writers when the barrier for entry is even lower and there are dozens of platforms that exist on a "for exposure" basis.

The funny thing is that there are probably some creative industries that are safe. No one is going to beg a video editor or sound engineer to do shit for them for free. People just have this weird double standard.

Kthulhu

When I did primarily contract design and code work I had a freaking website with my rates clearly written in the contact page. And People would still call and email me DAILY asking me to do their shot for free.

I'm inclined to think at this point that people are just idiots.

Or they just don't give a fuck. Or they think they're hot shit.

Pandy

Here are some examples

DDZTUsVVoAEZbNF.jpg:large

In fairness, depending on where this was posted, it could be fair enough. Did something similar with a group of adult friends for a local film festival a few years back and it was a load of fun. Would probably have quickly become problematic if money was involved in any capacity.

Some of the others though. Yeeesh.

Platy

In brazil we had one that acepted every single one of those requested and did the shittiest job he could do (drawing dicks on ms paint level) and posted the art and the reaction xD

Or they just don't give a fuck. Or they think they're hot shit.
Bit of all three really. I just feel bad for the college kid some of them will inevitably sucker into doing it so they "have it for their future references". And of course most of them don't know better.

PSqueak

Banned
Really? People expect you to do audio mixing and shit "for exposure"? Jesus. lol

You would be surprised how many people are unable to comprehend the worth of art.

It's like people just can't understand the worth of something unless is within the parameters of a 9 to 5 profession.

Yeah, it's worse for writers when the barrier for entry is even lower and there are dozens of platforms that exist on a "for exposure" basis.

The funny thing is that there are probably some creative industries that are safe. No one is going to beg a video editor or sound engineer to do shit for them for free. People just have this weird double standard.

Wrong. I do both and I've had people ask me. And I'm not even a professional.

Bob White

I work as a chef/cook.

People come up to me "Hey wow, you can cook...can you cater my party?"

"Alright what's your budget?"

"Budget? cant you just cook for me?"

"Well who's going to buy the food?"

"Dont you make the food?"

".........."

lmao

Really? People expect you to do audio mixing and shit "for exposure"? Jesus. lol

I don't really advertise myself as a sound engineer for mixing other peoples' audio, but I write my own music which requires a ton of work mixing. So indirectly, yes. I also know a couple people with home studios who do record and engineer for bands, and people ask them for favors all the time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You would be surprised how many people are unable to comprehend the worth of art.

It's like people just can't understand the worth of something unless is within the parameters of a 9 to 5 profession.
Wrong. I do both and I've had people ask me. And I'm not even a professional.
Some people are really desperate to get their foot in the door I guess.
I don't really advertise myself as a sound engineer for mixing other peoples' audio, but I write my own music which requires a ton of work mixing. So indirectly, yes. I also know a couple people with home studios who do record and engineer for bands, and people ask them for favors all the time.
Man, people are terrible. lol

The issue is that everyone does this stuff for free, so it'll never end.

Yep.

I'm very guilty of this. I do game reviewing on the side, but I keep taking unpaid gigs. Why? Because I enjoy writing. I've tried to quit a few times, but I get so bored and restless that I end up going back.

What's really funny (and sad) about "exposure" is that I used to write reviews on Steam. When your review is featured on the very same page as the purchase button, you can't get anymore exposure than that.

I keep telling myself that one day I'll actually put together a resume and start shopping around for paid work. Thing is, I don't have the confidence to pull it off.

Sucks.

Beartruck

Agencies that do creative work are subject to this as well. "It would be great for you if you do this work for free, and we'd like a clause written into the agreement stating that our work together is confidential. Do that, and it's possible you'll receive more work from us."

Agency/client relationship. It's great.

Of course you'll get more work from them if you agree to terms like that, there's literally no downside for them there. The problem is it's not work any reasonable human being would want.

In brazil we had one that acepted every single one of those requested and did the shittiest job he could do (drawing dicks on ms paint level) and posted the art and the reaction xD

Whomever that person is, I love them.

In my experience, people who decry others as "sell-outs" are people who think they are not, when the reality is they have nothing worth buying.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep.

I'm very guilty of this. I do game reviewing on the side, but I keep taking unpaid gigs. Why? Because I enjoy writing. I've tried to quit a few times, but I get so bored and restless that I end up going back.

What's really funny (and sad) about "exposure" is that I used to write reviews on Steam. When your review is featured on the very same page as the purchase button, you can't get anymore exposure than that.

I keep telling myself that one day I'll actually put together a resume and start shopping around for paid work. Thing is, I don't have the confidence to pull it off.

Sucks.
Yeah, I'm basically in the same position.

The hilarious thing about that though is that as someone who was in academia, writing for exposure is literally the only way you can advance in your career. It's such a scam in the liberal arts, particularly when journals are charging so much for access to your writing.

ZPs

So something to consider here: There are absolutely windows where doing something for "exposure" is worthwhile. Evaluating those windows intelligently is what matters.

Case in point. I barely made any money doing 20 hours+ a week broadcasting Overwatch community tournaments for the better part of 7 months or so. However, I knew that I'd be building skills and a brand in a field where being in early mattered very much. As a result, it gave me a strong resume to do things like broadcast for TBS on ELEAGUE, or work events like Blizzcon (events that of course had very competitive pay).

If I took the hardline approach of wanting top tier caster rates from Day 1 (For small 120-500 dollar tournaments) not only would I not have gotten those rates, but I wouldn't have had incredible opportunities come to me later.

The main thing is to evaluate every situation and realize that if you do work for less, seeing if there is a bigger plan or more tangible goal that it will actually work into. It's not black and white as some people paint it in this thread.

Koomaster

I work as a chef/cook.

People come up to me "Hey wow, you can cook...can you cater my party?"

"Alright what's your budget?"

"Budget? cant you just cook for me?"

"Well who's going to buy the food?"

"Dont you make the food?"

".........."
God yes this! It's like they assume you have all this free food laying around going to waste that you're not sharing. Like I barely eat adequately myself and you want me to prepare a full meal for 50+ people for free? Cut down on the amount of drugs you're consuming, save up that money, then call me.

So something to consider here: There are absolutely windows where doing something for "exposure" is worthwhile. Evaluating those windows intelligently is what matters.

Case in point. I barely made any money doing 20 hours+ a week broadcasting Overwatch community tournaments for the better part of 7 months or so. However, I knew that I'd be building skills and a brand in a field where being in early mattered very much. As a result, it gave me a strong resume to do things like broadcast for TBS on ELEAGUE, or work events like Blizzcon.

If I took the hardline approach of wanting top tier caster rates from Day 1 (For small 120-500 dollar tournaments) not only would I not have gotten those rates, but I wouldn't have had incredible opportunities come to me later.

The main thing is to evaluate every situation and realize that if you do work for less, seeing if there is a bigger plan or more tangible goal that it will actually work into. It's not black and white as some people paint it in this thread.

Makes sense.

However, there are also people that have been trying to make it in their field for several years. They've exhausted every possible option, but they also can't walk away.

Though, reading your post again, I guess the key words here are "intelligently" and "early".

Case in point. I barely made any money doing 20 hours+ a week broadcasting Overwatch community tournaments for the better part of 7 months or so. However, I knew that I'd be building skills and a brand in a field where being in early mattered very much. As a result, it gave me a strong resume to do things like broadcast for TBS on ELEAGUE, or work events like Blizzcon (events that of course had very competitive pay).

Of course there are. However this thread, and the twitter account, are to draw attention to those huge windows where someone is using the excuse "for exposure" as an out to keep from paying people for a project.

Top Bottom