• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eclipses in Video Games

I have never seen one of these in a game

Pokemon company missed a great PR opportunity by not creating a 3rd Sun and Moon version called Eclipse

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
latest

Fatal Frame 4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXYtxRxaPvw

The game is about a ritual on an island involving masks and people being lured towards the moon and a strange process known as 'blooming' as a lunar eclipse nears.

The lunar eclipse happens at the end of the game, which is honestly a very beautiful yet sad scene for what all happens during it.

---

In the horror game realm, Eternal Darkness is also about the planets aligning and the darkness of when the sun is blocked out by all the planets. It's even the game's logo and the event the game is building up towards.

BouncyFrag

Dawnguard dlc in Skyrim. I was kinda pissed off
when we could only temporally blot out the sun. My dreams of eternal night were shattered

ts85YZL.png

Total Eclipse, in which there is a pyramid with an ancient curse such that any object that would block the Shrine of Ra at the summit from the light of the sun would be destroyed - you have to go into the pyramid to stop this curse before it, well, destroys the moon.
I was going to be all proud and mention this obscure game but you beat me to it!

Nicolada

Does a lunar eclipse count?

A7WsT6C.png

The 31 December 2028 lunar eclipse is a plot point in Virtue's Last Reward.

VLR ending spoilers:
More importantly, as is the 27 January 2074 solar eclipse.
I love how Tenmyouji's name was technically hinting at this twist.

Brannon

Eclipse Scythe (Ninja Gaiden 2 Xbox).

An apt name for the weapon, since when you get it, that's when the werewolves come out...

Infinitely better than the final version. So much more bizarre and horror-esque.

Having just finished DS3 last week I was waiting and waiting for that area to see the sun bleeding/melting. Then I beat the game and was like, "hmmm... did it get cut?"

Still liked the eclipse though. But yeah definitely wasn't as unnerving as the original concept.

daTRUballin

Slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to say the eclipse was very underwhelming here in Portland. The sun only got slightly darker for like 5-10 minutes and that was it. I was woken up for nothing. :/

Top Bottom