• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now it turns out that there is popularity in video game series and movies.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Basically, because the film industry behaves mockingly when it comes to video games, series like The Last of Us and the recent Fallout have come out, where people who previously disliked video games turn out to like series based on them, even with Award nominations.

Hollywood as always saying one thing and coming up with another situation.

Seriously, due to people's ignorance or hypocrisy, it now turns out that they like the universe.

Maybe at one time people who liked comics were previously people with prejudices... and now there are people who like Marvel.

People really should have an open mind before criticizing something they don't know about.

Pejo

Funny enough about 6 years ago I remember most of GAF laughing and saying stuff like "the best video game stories are still a 3/10 compared to the best movies and books out there.

I don't think video game writing got significantly better, but now shows/movies based on games are much better received. It's probably just because Hollywood got so much worse.

IAmRei

Reminds me to phill collin's song, human afraid/hate something they dont understand. They will see in time, when things they hate is finally pique their interest. Sure, most of them will have denials. And in the end they will admit they like it, although with lot of reasons, so they are not looks like a fool who eats their own words.

I know lot of local people in my place, who always stuck with that cycle.

Funny enough about 6 years ago I remember most of GAF laughing and saying stuff like "the best video game stories are still a 3/10 compared to the best movies and books out there.
Sometimes it's because they are unfairly considering every little side quest and story bit a game has to offer instead of just the main story content. Some games make it difficult for themselves...for example in GTA 5 they will have you do 'tutorial' quests to get acclimated to driving certain vehicles and getting accustomed to how game mechanics and how the world works, which essentially wouldn't exist in a movie.

We all know which parts of a game would be considered the 'main movie' content, but some people figure 'if there's a cutscene for it, it counts as story, and if it counts as story, it's technically a bad story.'

Now I will say, when it comes to cinematography and direction I agree with them. There are far, far fewer well directed games on earth and Fallout isn't one of them. As a matter of fact, the Fallout TV show proves to me that cinematic storytelling could work to greatly enhance a Fallout game, but it would require Bethesda to make big changes and actually do more than just basic mouth and arm movements during character dialogue as the camera stays static.

...And that frustrates me because I can picture it as something incredible for Fallout 5, but I know it won't happen because Bethesda are too stubborn. That stubbornness lead to Starfield having a mixed reception.

killatopak

Games are a rich resource now in terms of film.

Traditional movies are full of remakes, sequels and hero stuff. They have a treasure trove with games. It’s somewhat like book films in the past. Also a huge plus is game fans will likely watch your film just like book fans do.

The issue with game films just like book ones are adaptation. Most of them fail in the past and more than likely completely rewrite shit like Resident Evil and Dragonball.

Vblad88

They exploited Marvel, so they found another silly-nerdish source of IPs to milk. It is Star Wars effect all over again.

Too bad it still brings nothing new to the table in storytelling techniques etc.

Sure, the games themselves have become so bad people rather watch them instead of playing.
hm-hmm.gif

That’s true, but it’s also because Hollywood creativity bankrupt and seemingly can’t really come up with original ideas that are quality so they decide to leech onto video games now that they are considered “cool” like they did with comic book movies.

Last edited:

Cyborg

It's all about the quality, look at the difference how Fallout en LotR are received by the viewers. I love to see a good adaptation but Fallout is also fun for a regular viewer who has no connection to the game world.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What this all means is that video games are a poor medium for storytelling. Always have been and always will be. Films, TV, books are all hugely superior. This isn't some elitist attitude either. It's just a simple fact.

Hollywood has always tried to adapt video games, but the only difference now is that some of them are turning out to be pretty decent.

People can still dislike video games and also really enjoy an adaptation of a story from a video game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate that our fav franchises get to be milked and made into huge multimedia monsters.
No. Gaming is a niche thing for nerds god damnit. Popularity = casual crap

Trilobit

It's all about the quality, look at the difference how Fallout en LotR are received by the viewers. I love to see a good adaptation but Fallout is also fun for a regular viewer who has no connection to the game world.

I was slightly shocked by how good the writing in Fallout was. The main white male ghoul character wasn't demeaned. The main female character had a very hard time learning the ropes and was allowed to show her inner strength through the struggles. She was like the anti-Rey. Every single character felt like a real person with their own agency and goal and not an insert for woke writers to make a point. Sure, there were woke stuff here and there, but it was more natural and not in-your-face.

The sets were gorgeous and even the side-characters were interesting. I was very happy to see the guy from Severance here.

Last edited:

mystech

I can still remember the days when video game based movies were all but guaranteed to suck! Maybe we just needed a new generation of directors who actually grew up with games or maybe there’s just more interest in games nowadays and therefore they are more willing to throw money at making quality game based films rather than just B movies. Either way, we seem to be headed in the right direction and seeing more movies and series based on games will be a lot more refreshing than the endless superhero movies, remakes and sequels that Hollywood has been addicted to for the past decade plus.

Raven77

It is the single greatest untapped well of movie and TV content that exists.

These are financially viable intellectual priorities that already have a fan base.

What is more risky for Amazon:

Option 1: create an original show about a post apocalyptic world.

Option 2: create a Fallout show since it's already extremely popular.

Hollywood hasn't suddenly learned anything. They've just realized that videogame adaptations require effort, as opposed to phoned in garbage.

Get ready for the FLOOD of game adaptations. By 2030 it will comprise most of our watchable new sci-fi / fantasy content.

SHA

I remember Greg Miller and the ign staff shitting on this stuff, that was before the good contents been favored publicly.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I can still remember the days when video game based movies were all but guaranteed to suck! Maybe we just needed a new generation of directors who actually grew up with games or maybe there’s just more interest in games nowadays and therefore they are more willing to throw money at making quality game based films rather than just B movies. Either way, we seem to be headed in the right direction and seeing more movies and series based on games will be a lot more refreshing than the endless superhero movies, remakes and sequels that Hollywood has been addicted to for the past decade plus.
I think with Mario + Sonic the reason for success is they were more about taking a safe, low risk, crowd pleasing Hollywood formula and adapting it to a video game IP. Instead of taking a video game story and adapting it into a film.

As for stuff like TLoU, the game was already trying so hard to be a Hollywood blockbuster. It’s not like they had a “game-y” story that was designed to be the backdrop for a video game and then had to figure out how to make it into a compelling series.

Top Bottom