• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce: "The Game Awards is bulllshit. It's a popularity contest"

Elysium44

Banned

QhfUKPR.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
WTF at the first two pages. Some of y'all think Hogswarts didn't a nom because of Rowling? Ya mad? All 6 nominees are better games. Hogswarts was good but it was not even top 10 material. Streef Fighter 6 and Armored Core VI, and Metroid Prime remake and Star Ocean 2R...So many that whips it.

If it was a popularity contest, I'd have a nom lol.

taizuke

One of the groups listed when Alanah briefly shows the jury is Easy Allies. Now, i like EZA and all but i don't buy their reasoning for not reviewing Hogwarts. Basically, it boils down to them not being huge fans of Harry Potter and not having any interest in playing the game. Bloodworth said they'd never outright ban any game from being reviewed and that Brad would probably do it... Well, that was March 25th of 2022 on their EZA podcast.

Here's the thing, the whole "we don't have any interest in this game, therefore don't feel like reviewing" statement is weird. I mean, you mean to tell me they've never reviewed a game they didn't care about but had to cause it's a big release or something? Not to mention, if their job is to be an informative gaming channel, then their job is to review the games regardless of their feelings.

And, to anyone that says that they shouldn't be force to review a game, you're right. Again, i just don't buy their reasoning. I think there's probably more as to why they didn't (probably fear of backlash) and i'm not going to blame it on Isla. I don't know her political views so i'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Btw, this is coming from someone who loved them when they were Gametrailers, when they started EZA, but fell off after Kyle left.

Valt7786

One of the groups listed when Alanah briefly shows the jury is Easy Allies. Now, i like EZA and all but i don't buy their reasoning for not reviewing Hogwarts. Basically, it boils down to them not being huge fans of Harry Potter and not having any interest in playing the game. Bloodworth said they'd never outright ban any game from being reviewed and that Brad would probably do it... Well, that was March 25th of 2022 on their EZA podcast.

Here's the thing, the whole "we don't have any interest in this game, therefore don't feel like reviewing" statement is weird. I mean, you mean to tell me they've never reviewed a game they didn't care about but had to cause it's a big release or something? Not to mention, if their job is to be an informative gaming channel, then their job is to review the games regardless of their feelings.

And, to anyone that says that they shouldn't be force to review a game, you're right. Again, i just don't buy their reasoning. I think there's probably more as to why they didn't (probably fear of backlash) and i'm not going to blame it on Isla. I don't know her political views so i'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Btw, this is coming from someone who loved them when they were Gametrailers, when they started EZA, but fell off after Kyle left.
It was 100% because of Isla. When the game was announced he very loudly said "Fuck JK Rowling".

taizuke

It was 100% because of Isla. When the game was announced he very loudly said "Fuck JK Rowling".

If that's the case then that's another trans person i'm hugely disappointed in. But, wanting to respect Isla would've been a better answer than what they gave. I would wholeheartedly disagree with them but it would've made more sense.

Last edited:

Embearded

If that's the case then that's another trans person i'm hugely disappointed in. But, wanting to respect Isla would've been a better answer than what they gave. I would wholeheartedly disagree with them but it would've made more sense.

The answer is a lie because they don't want to anger the other side and lose subscriptions. It's the next level of cowardice.

StueyDuck

Strong words from a woman whose whole life has basically been based on popularity 🤷‍♂️

Whether she likes it or not she is 100% part of that world. My guess however is this is a trending topic and she knows what will get clipped and get views.

Last edited:

FireFly

Strong words from a woman whose whole life has basically been based on popularity 🤷‍♂️

Whether she likes it or not she is 100% part of that world. My guess however is this is a trending topic and she knows what will get clipped and get views.
Watching the video she doesn't seem to have any real problem with The Game Awards. She's just explaining what the show is and what it isn't.

ProtoByte

WTF at the first two pages. Some of y'all think Hogswarts didn't a nom because of Rowling? Ya mad? All 6 nominees are better games. Hogswarts was good but it was not even top 10 material. Streef Fighter 6 and Armored Core VI, and Metroid Prime remake and Star Ocean 2R...So many that whips it.

If it was a popularity contest, I'd have a nom lol.
GOTY is one thing, but Hogwarts wasn't nominated for a single category. Graphic/art, sound, nothing. That the highest selling game of the year not named COD doesn't get a single piece of recognition at an awards show that Pearce herself claims is significantly based on popularity stands out.

Joramun

She only realised this now? Has she been under a rock? She's just trying to get attention. Just show us the goods if she's craving for it. Stop pretend whining.

near

Gold Member
Doesn't she work for Sony Santa Monica now? Isn't posting videos like this a conflict of interest?

FireFly

She only realised this now? Has she been under a rock? She's just trying to get attention. Just show us the goods if she's craving for it. Stop pretend whining.
It's just an explainer video. There's no outrage that I could find in it and she states at the start that how the how The Game Awards works is perfectly ok.

The title of the OP could be renamed to "Alanah explains The Game Awards".

Blindy

They played Deadly Premonition 2 on stream though under the premise that they would be donating funds to transsexual awareness charities IIRC, that was with Isla on the stream too no less.

Very odd they would pick & choose not to play Hogwarts.

ProtoByte

This kind of undermining of award shows is bizarre when it is critics, and industry people nominating and voting on goty awards. She brings up DiCE which is only the industry professionals. It’s incestous like the screen actors guild awards. Fuck the people congratulating each other. At least the critics aren’t voting for themselves.
Ah but you see, she's in with the "skilled worker" crowd now, and not just a face for a rag of a dying website or semi-irrelevant podcast anymore. She'll happily take accolades from the real professionals, incestuous as they are, over the praise from "journalists" that she probably has contempt for.

digdug2

To be completely fair, TGA is bullshit, as far as most of the actual awards are concerned. It masquerades as a "games award" show, but let's be real, it's really just one giant block of advertisement. That said- Since E3 is no more, I think that it actually works and has filled a gap.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

BAFTA is more established and serious, but it just isn't 'murica enough for gamers to care about.

If BG3 wins, then I expect a lot of industry people associated with the big publishers to suddenly find a whole stack of "intelligent constructive criticism" about the voting process in the game awards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom