• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Xbox won the Game Awards 2023

bender

What time is it?
ebd2a132-41f7-4e45-8d40-4ed5641f6e1f_text.gif

BlueLyria

Nintendo had 3 (Mario Wonder, Pikmin 4 and Tears of the Kingdom).

Sony announced the Ragnarok DLC and had new trailers for Rise of the Ronin and Helldivers 2. I thought it was a good showing.
Ronin is Third Party though, but fair enough on Helldivers 2, it was early on the show and I forgot about it

Brucey

Something is going on. The Paul Tassis, DFs, Chris Drings of the world are jumping the shark heavy right now.

I think it's becoming especially apparent where the console market is going over the next 18-24 months.
Thinking PS5 becomes the defacto console choice in the US and UK? Already there in rest of world. Extended sales of Series X at $350 to try and keep NPD numbers up to avoid total bloodbath? Yes PS5 was on sale for $350 for target red circle members but far more limited in scale/duration.

AGRacing

Nintendo had 3 (Mario Wonder, Pikmin 4 and Tears of the Kingdom).

Sony announced the Ragnarok DLC and had new trailers for Rise of the Ronin and Helldivers 2. I thought it was a good showing.
Sony's own previously set high bars are the problem. They are no where NEAR those heights right now. The idea that what you just listed was a 'good showing' in a year without an E3 AND in the 3rd year of the product life is kind of nuts. Last of Us 2 Remastered is our next big thing. I'm not interested. The only reason it's 'good enough' is because their competition can't find their footing either. Sad excuse.

Thinking PS5 becomes the defacto console choice in the US and UK? Already there in rest of world. Extended sales of Series X at $350 to try and keep NPD numbers up to avoid total bloodbath? Yes PS5 was on sale for $350 for target red circle members but far more limited in scale/duration.

Switch 2 and PS5 Pro come out next year. They'll crowd out whatever market remains for Xbox Series. There are no major games coming out before GTA6 that are going to change that momentum in favor of the Xbox, when GTA6 comes out the place to play it will be on the PS5 Pro. It's going to be Hogwarts Legacy on steroids.

People who make their livelihoods off the console war are getting nervous because they know the market for the Switch 2 and PS5 are likely to remain separate.

I'm not sure how Microsoft takes the coming reduction in market share into the decision to make another console after this.

I can see at the end of the generation PS5 at 120-140 million units and XBS at 30-40 million units. Another generation with this direction, and the next Xbox will sell 15-25 million units. Not sure that will ultimately maintain 3rd party support and exclusives are entirely off the table.

mejin

Ok...and we won some months of peace from their BS. Xbox Sales are terrible and they have no exclusive to counter Rebirth and Ronin early next year.

DryvBy

Sony didn’t even show up and I still prefer god of war dlc and FF16 dlc over shit like hellblade.

I know a guy that swears he loves Hellblade and it's so deep and spoke to him. He played it on Xbox after MS bought them. I checked his stats, he has one achievement and 1 hour of gameplay.

So deep. So good.

Hellblade sucks. I hated I bought it when it launched. Mental game for mental people.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be honest, the article isn't especially horrible, but its full of dubious "facts" and observations.

My main issue is the lack of addressing the fact that the main thing MS is pushing right now is GamePass, not Xbox. That's a very important distinction, especially when comparing with Sony and Nintendo who are 100% committed to the console model.

Watch the branding MS uses (Xbox, or GamePass, or just MIcrosoft Game Studios) on a game-by-game basis, because that's going to be very instructive going forwards. In my opinion anyway!

Woopah

Sony's own previously set high bars are the problem. They are no where NEAR those heights right now. The idea that what you just listed was a 'good showing' in a year without an E3 AND in the 3rd year of the product life is kind of nuts. Last of Us 2 Remastered is our next big thing. I'm not interested. The only reason it's 'good enough' is because their competition can't find their footing either. Sad excuse.
I would definitely agree that their 2023 showcase wasn't as good as some of their previous E3 shows.

But just looking at what they do at the game awards, it was good this week. In the third year of the PS4, their game awards showing was a Death Stranding trailer.

Xbox has literally the worst fanboys in games media yet they're quick to decry fanboyism. I mean how many times do we have to read an article or hear from windows central, Forbes, ign/ destin or ryan McCaffery, digital foundry and so on carrying Xbox’s water and minimizing PlayStation quite frankly it's embarrassing because it hasn't worked. I can see when random twitter warriors do it but this shit is institutional for a brand that majority of the consumers roundly reject...furthermore more, Sega won 😆 🤣

StereoVsn

Thing is Sony got exclusives like FFVIIR2, Rise of the Ronin and others coming fairly soon.

What does Microsoft has there launching 1st half next year other then Hellblade 2. Which is not a game that will push console sales or even GamePass sales as this is mostly going to play to existing audience.

Sony’s roadmap is sparse and it’s kind of weird, but they have 3rd parties carrying them without having to buy up studios. We will see in a year but they need to start actually releasing good games.

Starfield was meh. I really hope Avowed hits but I have my doubts after last reveal. Maybe Fable? Is that 2025?

Blade is probably not coming out for several years so it’s pointless to even speculate on that.

Unknown?

the problem isn't the exclusives, the problem is the lack of announcements, we know jack shit about their first party projects and there is a shit storm of Gaas( that no one asked for ) games comming our way.
But most of those gaas games aren't announced either.

BlueLyria

Both Helldivers and Ronin are published by Sony (at least in the West, its self published in Japan). So its first party like Nioh for Sony or Fire Emblem Warriors for Nintendo.
I thought the first Helldivers was made by a internal studios, not just published
Ronin is third party but Kojima isn't?
No it isn't
There's a difference between a partnership and internal studios, Which is why I only brought up Blade in my original post.
I don't know if Ronin is a Bloodborne situation or not.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not a shocker, Sony didn't really show up this year.
Sony still ended up showing more exclusive content for PS5 players at TGA. More specifically, content with release dates, launching very, very soon:
  • FF16 DLC #1 (available now)
  • God of War Ragnarok Valhalla (available Dec. 12)
  • Helldivers 2 (February)
  • Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth (February)
  • Rise of the Ronin (March)
  • Final Fantasy 16 DLC #2 (Spring)

Taur007

the problem isn't the exclusives, the problem is the lack of announcements, we know jack shit about their first party projects and there is a shit storm of Gaas( that no one asked for ) games comming our way.
That's cause there is no real plan this time, they're going game by game, and most of those gaas games are probably just not it so now they're stuck
Xbox has literally the worst fanboys in games media yet they're quick to decry fanboyism. I mean how many times do we have to read an article or hear from windows central, Forbes, ign/ destin or ryan McCaffery, digital foundry and so on carrying Xbox’s water and minimizing PlayStation quite frankly it's embarrassing because it hasn't worked. I can see when random twitter warriors do it but this shit is institutional for a brand that majority of the consumers roundly reject...furthermore more, Sega won 😆 🤣
No that's Sony😂😂at least MS fanboys call them out when they're doing wrong for example the Xbox gold price hike just for them to reverse it or the employees free gamepass debacle and they reversed it, Sony fans think Sony does nothin wrong and just bootlick day in and day out and support dumb shit like PAYING additional for your PS5 slim stand.

Sorcerer

The biggest game of the year showing up over 3 months late on your console because of technical difficulties caused by the console. And it was such a footnote that the developer even forgot to announce it. What a win for Xbox.
If I recall, Phil had referred to BG3 as "Stadia second run" . Maybe Larian not mentioning it out for Xbox was just a little Karma coming Phil's way.
Anyway Starfield did not get the award,and neither did Spider-Man. Larian must be over the moon, triumphing over 2 huge first party games.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not one to downplay. It was a good showing for Xbox. Hellblade looks pretty good. The Blade announcement, though fraught with speculation on it's exclusivity is exciting nonetheless and it does mark the first Marvel franchise Xbox folks could be excited about in a long time. Sony revealed 2 DLC's but no new games from it's first party, or updates to announced games. My intuition says Sony decided not to share the spot light. They've bowed out of pretty much every game event and preferred to show their games in a State of Play. No doubt we see Wolverine next year, maybe by Summer...hopefully sooner. Though I'm not really sure what else is coming for Playstation in 2024.

If someone knows, remind me please.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm not one to downplay. It was a good showing for Xbox. Hellblade looks pretty good. The Blade announcement, though fraught with speculation on it's exclusivity is exciting nonetheless and it does mark the first Marvel franchise Xbox folks could be excited about in a long time. Sony revealed 2 DLC's but no new games from it's first party, or updates to announced games. My intuition says Sony decided not to share the spot light. They've bowed out of pretty much every game event and preferred to show their games in a State of Play. No doubt we see Wolverine next year, maybe by Summer...hopefully sooner. Though I'm not really sure what else is coming for Playstation in 2024.

If someone knows, remind me please.
I think both Sony and Nintendo have both bowed out. They both have nothing to prove at this point and can generate their own hype cycles.

Top Bottom