• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Has an Unfortunate 10 Year Streak at The Game Awards

Thirty7ven

Banned
Ah 2019, where the higher critically received Gears 5 (84 meta) was not nominated at the Keighley's but the worse received Death Stranding was (82 meta).

:messenger_smirking:

So is this a case of Metacritic dictates the awards? Because a panel of like 100 publications actually vote on it. Could this simply be a case of differences of opinion between the people who were sent to review a particular game and the rest of the people at the publication?

Relatively easy to conclude also that Gears 5 was a completely forgettable game, that just happens to be very technically competent. While Death Stranding is a memorable game, even if divisive.

Either way, people vote on this. It’s not metacritic.

Fredrik

Personal GOTYs 1984-2023:

1984 - Duck Hunt
1985 - Super Mario Bros.
1986 - Metroid
1987 - Legend of Zelda
1988 - Contra (NES)
1989 - Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
1990 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
1991 - The Simpsons (Arcade)
1992 - Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
1993 - Dungeon Explorer II

1994 - Earthworm Jim
1995 - Chrono Trigger
1996 - Resident Evil
1997 - Tekken 3 (Arcade)
1998 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
1999 - Soulcalibur
2000 - Diablo II
2001 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
2002 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
2003 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

2004 - Ninja Gaiden
2005 - Resident Evil 4
2006 - Dead Rising
2007 - Virtua Fighter 5
2008 - Bully: Scholarship Edition
2009 - Tekken 6
2010 - Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
2011 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
2012 - Yakuza 5
2013 - Dead Rising 3

2014 - Ultra Street Fighter IV
2015 - Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
2016 - Forza Horizon 3
2017 - Injustice 2
2018 - Forza Horizon 4
2019 - Dead or Alive 6
2020 - Nioh 2
2021 - Baldo: The Guardian Owls
2022 - Elden Ring
2023 - Lies of P
This is such a diverse collection of games. Great!

And I need to play Lies of P.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Starfield's nominations have me surprised this time.
It wasn't really surprising.

So I checked Metacritic and found this.

On Xbox, there are 31 games ranking higher than Starfield this year.
5LSFrYt.jpg

On PC, there are 18 games ranking higher than Starfield this year.
g5a1le1.jpg

Then there are 31 games on Nintendo that ranked higher than Starfield's score on Xbox this year.
C69lODj.jpg

And 29 games on PlayStation 5 that ranked higher than Starfield's score on Xbox this year.
5a9zqCi.jpg

So that's a total of 109 games on these 4 platforms that have higher scores than Starfield on Xbox. Of course, there will be several duplicates (e.g., Hogwart's Legacy or Diablo).

But I think it's safe to say that there would be at least 60-70 games that have a higher score than Starfield this year so far. There are more games to be released (like Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake 2), which are expected to score higher than Starfield's 83. And Starfield may also drop to 82 or lower based on future reviews that are currently in-progress.

I honestly don't see it ranking as a GOTY candidate (without the decision being controversial).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think anyone wants MS to fail. They want them to change.

Many of us loved the early Xbox days where they seemed to have an identity and were hungry. Current management has been completely aloof for nearly 15 years, and their fanbase continues to aggressively defend EVERYTHING they do.

And if they don't change? Why wouldn't I want them to fail? I don't want them to buy up most of the industry and ruin those companies with their poor management in the process. I want them to organically grow the industry by making their own impact.

Plenty of people want ms to fail. It's all over this forum in threads. Plenty of posts saying they aren't even interested in ms creating a good product or games. They want them gone from the industry because they see them as a blight.

Top Bottom