• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Has an Unfortunate 10 Year Streak at The Game Awards

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I know as an Xbox fan that's the main thing I feel on here, just a sense of heartfelt, genuine desire from the PS fanbase for Xbox to do better. It's like a great coach that gives you a concerned look and tells you that you're special and capable of shooting for the stars if you really apply yourself. It's pretty great to feel so supported.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I know as an Xbox fan that's the main thing I feel on here, just a sense of heartfelt, genuine desire from the PS fanbase for Xbox to do better. It's like a great coach that gives you a concerned look and tells you that you're special and capable of shooting for the stars if you really apply yourself. It's pretty great to feel so supported.
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

laynelane

It's unfortunate? What is wrong with the games media? Why are they afraid of Microsoft? Why not just be truthful and say it how is it? There's always a positive Microsoft Spin.

I would love to see a complete list of how many game journalists and media outlets receive gifts and/or money from MS. Looking at their extensive history with astroturfing and how often damage control and 'bad Sony' articles come out (and how often they correlate with events happening at XBox) - I believe it would be a fairly lengthy list.

PanzerCute

9/10 on STEAM

84 Metacritic Critic Score (that isn’t factoring in that several of those bombed it on purpose)

85 Metacritic User.

It deserves nominations. They excluded it 100% due to fear of pushback.
Yeah I think you are right about the pushback and VGA's fear of a backlash. I still think it was a good, but forgettable game nonetheless :d

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
While you're being facetious, this should be expected from your compadres, instead of kicking the can of excuses down the road each and every time.

Fredrik

Wasn't that long ago that Xbox fans were beating their chest about Microsoft winning Publisher of the Year and Nadella Satya bragging about Xbox outselling PlayStation for three quarters straight in the US. Call it "concern and effort" if you want but it works both ways.
It goes both ways but the market share difference makes PS warriors a bigger group.
And the whole board is toxic now. Makes me sad tbh, I’ve been here a long time and never seen anything like it before, feels pointless to have any serious talks.
OTs are still okay though.

Danknugz

Wasn't that long ago that Xbox fans were beating their chest about Microsoft winning Publisher of the Year and Nadella Satya bragging about Xbox outselling PlayStation for three quarters straight in the US. Call it "concern and effort" if you want but it works both ways.
i've seen both sides of the fence and i am also a playstation fan, playstation fans go way more out of their way trust me, i think they tend to be younger as well and maybe slightly less informed in the technical side of things (maybe because more PC gamers gravitate towards MS) hence the whole misinformed SSD crowdsourced false hype fiasco and things like this thread makes it slightly more annoying

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
i've seen both sides of the fence and i am also a playstation fan, playstation fans go way more out of their way trust me, i think they tend to be younger as well and maybe slightly less informed in the technical side of things (maybe because more PC gamers gravitate towards MS) hence the whole misinformed SSD crowdsourced false hype fiasco and things like this thread makes it slightly more annoying
My man I've seen this console warrior crap go back and forth for a couple of decades now. It's the same shit whether it is green or blue. We can talk "false hype" SSD or we can talk "false hype" teraflops.....it don't matter. If we are going to point to threads like these then let's look at the flip side like this right here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/look...ty-omissions-over-the-years-purexbox.1663507/

It's all the same dude. Isn't like either side is arguing with themselves.

Last edited:
Danknugz said: "i've seen both sides of the fence and i am also a playstation fan, playstation fans go way more out of their way trust me, i think they tend to be younger as well and maybe slightly less informed in the technical side of things (maybe because more PC gamers gravitate towards MS) hence the whole misinformed SSD crowdsourced false hype fiasco and things like this thread makes it slightly more annoying
[/QUOTE]

PC gamers gravitate towards PS5 not Xbox because Xbox exclusives have been day and date on both platforms. PC gamers buy a Playstation to supplement their PC to get access to Sony exclusives. This has been very apparent on Gaf for years.

Yeah there has always been fanboy wars back and forth but in the case of game libraries the people who yell "warring" in these particular threads do so out of insecurity and denial of Microsofts poor output. It happens every time. In this case the people pointing out that MS's library has been disappointing are correct. If the MS defenders want to call that "Sony fanboying" then go ahead. It's not. MS has had Halo Infinite, Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, Hivebusters, Pentiment (an incredibly niche game), Psychonauts and The Medium (which came out later on Ps5) and those were spread out over a 2 and a half year period. Things have only just started to finally pick up for MS in 2023 with Hi Fi Rush, Starfield, amd Forza.

Out of all these games have any of them set the world on fire? Forza Horizon 5 seems to be considered the best of the group. Halo Infinite was initially reviewed well until people realized how flawed it really was. The other games are all niche and small like Flight Sim, Hi Fi rush and Pentiment. Starfield didn't live up to most people's expectations at all and Forza 8 is a solid game but as a next gen only game why don't the graphics surpass GT7? Redfall of course was a disaster on every level.

MS has has even behaved badly by using false advertising and downgraded graphics (Redfall and Forza Motorsport) or failing to include 60 fps mode (Starfield and Redfall (fixed after many months).

This is a situation of Xbox fans not being able to admit the outputs been weak. When Pentiment and Halo Infinites "gaf goty 21" are peoples proof that Xbox is "persecuted" here on Gaf you should take a deep hard look at your own position on this topic.

If you read my post and think "this guy's got it in for Microsoft" know that I have a Series X myself. This is what an honest assessment looks like.

Microsoft has been so focused on rearranging the business model of the industry to suit their long term goals and that has lead to a weak library of games. It's simple as that. Will '24 be the year they release some real goty candidates? Hellblade 2 and Fable seem to be the best chances of that but im not getting my hopes up after the painful lessons of Halo Infinite, Starfield, and recently Forza Motorsport. The only games that have well and truly delivered for me have been FH5 and Gears 5's series x update. Psychonauts 2 is a great game and runs best on Xbox.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dude 2019 was arguably the best year last gen for single player games. how can you not find a single goty winner from all these fantastic single player campaigns?

sekiro
re2 remake
death stranding
star wars fallen order
control
metro exodus
days gone
gears of war 5
devil may cry 5
luigis mansion 3

Ah 2019, where the higher critically received Gears 5 (84 meta) was not nominated at the Keighley's but the worse received Death Stranding was (82 meta).

:messenger_smirking:

Danknugz

My man I've seen this console warrior crap go back and forth for a couple of decades now. It's the same shit whether it is green or blue. We can talk "false hype" SSD or we can talk "false hype" teraflops.....it don't matter. If we are going to point to threads like these then let's look at the flip side like this right here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/look...ty-omissions-over-the-years-purexbox.1663507/

It's all the same dude. Isn't like either side is arguing with themselves.
Very true and I could talk shit on MS all day trust me. Personally I feel like their homegrown IPs are vapid and corny, Gears was always slow, boring and clunky, Halo is basically a direct artistic rip off of Doom. Strangely it seems a lot of people who hype xbox rally around these horrible games. Probably bots, I don't think that's a ridiculous claim and it's simple to do.

However what MS has always done well is hardware performance, with the exception of xbox one I think just about every other one had more than enough juice compared what else is available, and then of course they've done a tremendous job integrating the xbox ecosystem into the PC platform (well the windows OS at least). Gamepass is a huge draw especially if you have a good rig, xcloud is decent streaming, and they've made the huge acquisitions. I just think some people are delusional, saying things like MS is going to stop doing gaming when you clearly see all these things they're doing, it's shameful that someone who is into gaming would put so much effort into hating on a company that's done so much for gaming and just has a huge history with PCs in general. I'm not saying people should worship MS but it's just painful reading this shit sometimes,

ulantan

I’ve wondered this myself about some in the PlayStation community, not only about GAF but other places as well. It’s like that yearbook meme “it’s not only that I should succeed, others should fail”. The market needs a strong Sony and MS. History has proven you don’t want either of these companies to be comfortably alone, because we are the ones who get screwed.
I don't think people should buy xbox out of pity. they need to compete by making games the masses want. Currently sony is comfortably alone. That's Microsofts problem they have constantly choose not to compete.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ah 2019, where the higher critically received Gears 5 (84 meta) was not nominated at the Keighley's but the worse received Death Stranding was (82 meta).

:messenger_smirking:
thats because gears 5 was overrated and death stranding 2 was underrated during the review cycle.

the awards totals that year show this.

* The Winners of this year *

Death Stranding - 80

The Critics' Picks - 48

The Readers' Picks - 32

Resident Evil 2 - 79

The Critics' Picks - 52

The Readers' Picks - 27

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 59

The Critics' Picks - 49

The Readers' Picks - 10

Control - 29

The Critics' Picks - 28

The Readers' Picks - 1

Disco Elysium - 15

The Critics' Picks - 15

The Readers' Picks -

The Outer Worlds - 10

The Critics' Picks - 8

The Readers' Picks - 2

Outer Wilds - 9

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 9

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 8

Devil May Cry 5 - 6

Metro Exodus - 5

Untitled Goose Game - 5

A Plague Tale: Innocence - 4

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 4

Astral Chain - 2

Days Gone - 2

Gears 5 - 2

Last edited:

adamsapple

thats because gears 5 was overrated and death stranding 2 was underrated during the review cycle.

the awards totals that year show this.

* The Winners of this year *

Death Stranding - 80

The Critics' Picks - 48

The Readers' Picks - 32

Resident Evil 2 - 79

The Critics' Picks - 52

The Readers' Picks - 27

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 59

The Critics' Picks - 49

The Readers' Picks - 10

Control - 29

The Critics' Picks - 28

The Readers' Picks - 1

Disco Elysium - 15

The Critics' Picks - 15

The Readers' Picks -

The Outer Worlds - 10

The Critics' Picks - 8

The Readers' Picks - 2

Outer Wilds - 9

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 9

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 8

Devil May Cry 5 - 6

Metro Exodus - 5

Untitled Goose Game - 5

A Plague Tale: Innocence - 4

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 4

Astral Chain - 2

Days Gone - 2

Gears 5 - 2

What was 2021's excuse then?

Forza Horizon 5 reviewed higher than all the GoTY nominations and it won the third most GoTY awards of the year.

SlimySnake

What was 2021's excuse then?

Forza Horizon 5 reviewed higher than all the GoTY nominations and it won the third most GoTY awards of the year.

Eh. its a racing game. come on.

though if it makes you feel any better. i think it deserved a spot over ratchet and deathloop. Booth exceedingly average games.

Keighley has over 100 people from across the industry voting for these games. its not him picking the nominees.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Eh. its a racing game. come on.

though if it makes you feel any better. i think it deserved a spot over ratchet and deathloop. Booth exceedingly average games.

Keighley has over 100 people from across the industry voting for these games. its not him picking the nominees.

I'm not blaming Keighley alone for 2021, but I will blame him for 2019 cause we all know how hard he gets at the mere mention of Kojima :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The 10 year streak really is unfortunate as there's multiple years where there are obvious nods which could have been in the nominations at least, if not the winners.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Very true and I could talk shit on MS all day trust me. Personally I feel like their homegrown IPs are vapid and corny, Gears was always slow, boring and clunky, Halo is basically a direct artistic rip off of Doom. Strangely it seems a lot of people who hype xbox rally around these horrible games. Probably bots, I don't think that's a ridiculous claim and it's simple to do.

Bots? You think people who like Xbox games are bots?

adamsapple

It ain't the metacritic awards my man.

I have read more than once on GAF that meta scores are the deciding factor on what gets nominated 🤷‍♂️

I've always been against that with Death Stranding being the prevalent example.

Ah well.

SlimySnake

I'm not blaming Keighley alone for 2021, but I will blame him for 2019 cause we all know how hard he gets at the mere mention of Kojima :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I remember him being visibly upset at sekiro winning over death stranding especially after kojima won best director. so its not like he always gets his way either.
The 10 year streak really is unfortunate as there's multiple years where there are obvious nods which could have been in the nominations at least, if not the winners.
I would give nominations to Sunset, Titanfall, Forza Horizon 5, but thats about it. In return, i could list over a dozen games that shouldve been nominated from sony studios and other third party studios. getting into the top 5 is hard. thats why you need consistency. they cant skip years then show up with a decent game and expect everyone to not nominate far more consistent studios. hollywood works the same way. a lot of actors win for their worst roles after they have put in the work for decades before their eventual win.

Bungie

Great multiplayer aspects like Redfall where a whopping 36 players are actually playing the game because the multiplayer is so great? Or the great Halo Infinite multiplayer with only a few players compared to other games?
Firstly don't judge a games population based on steam stats especially when the games are on gamepass & Xbox doesn't give out the current population. I find instant matches in every title I've ever played & still in Halo infinite.

adamsapple

Such a weird take. Take a couple of random comments about "meta scores" and suddenly it is "GAF said". Literally the first time I've ever read someone say metacritic is the "deciding factor" for GOTY.

I hope you're not deriving from that my post, nothing grandiose in it about "gaf said" 🤔

I would give nominations to Sunset, Titanfall, Forza Horizon 5, but thats about it. In return, i could list over a dozen games that shouldve been nominated from sony studios and other third party studios. getting into the top 5 is hard. thats why you need consistency. they cant skip years then show up with a decent game and expect everyone to not nominate far more consistent studios. hollywood works the same way. a lot of actors win for their worst roles after they have put in the work for decades before their eventual win.

Well, that's a fundamentally fucked up approach then. Games should be nominated on their merit, not relative to if their parent publisher hasn't put out other comparable games in the last couple of years.

Well, it was for "publisher of the year"... until it wasn't.

Tea Time Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Is this one of those "gaf said" things? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

SlimySnake

I hope you're not deriving from that my post, nothing grandiose in it about "gaf said" 🤔

Well, that's a fundamentally fucked up approach then. Games should be nominated on their merit, not relative to if their parent publisher hasn't put out other comparable games in the last couple of years.

Is this one of those "gaf said" things? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Again, if they were releasing games that were something amazing like elden rings or rdr2 or tlou2 then they would nominated of course. but they havent.

again, their last ten years have been exceedingly mediocre. one 90+ racing game wont change a thing. just be happy it got some awards from big places like IGN. I think giving it goty over a masterpiece in game design like it takes two is insane, but whatever, i am not going to lose any sleep over it. a big goty winner not getting nominated at the VGA is not evidence of a conspiracy. these things happen.

BTW, respawn made the amazing star wars jedi survivor this year that was not nominated. way better game than starfield. higher metacritic too. starfield isnt getting nominated because it simply wasnt good enough. the user scores on steam show this. the fact that the metacritic dropped 7 points from the review embargo shows this. its a huge misstep and imo the game is severely overrated. if it was a ps5 multiplatform game, it wouldve settled in the mid to low 70s just like mass effect andromeda and the original destiny. and those games dont win gotys. cult hits sure, but not gotys.

i would choose star wars, street fighter 6, phantom liberty, and dead space over starfield in any goty race.

adamsapple

More like ambassadors said.

Accept Season 4 GIF by Billions

BTW, respawn made the amazing star wars jedi survivor this year that was not nominated.

Eh, it launched in a pretty mediocre state and the PC version especially took months to be presentable.

but whatever, i am not going to lose any sleep over it. a big goty winner not getting nominated at the VGA is not evidence of a conspiracy. these things happen.

Of course, these are just accolades, there's gonna be 300~400 other publications which will give out their own accolades as well.

9/10 on STEAM

84 Metacritic Critic Score (that isn’t factoring in that several of those bombed it on purpose)

85 Metacritic User.

It deserves nominations. They excluded it 100% due to fear of pushback.
Yeah I think you are right about the pushback and VGA's fear of a backlash. I still think it was a good, but forgettable game nonetheless :d

Honestly, this is just a lazy argument.

Why don't you be specific and say which game didn't deserve to be nominated over it?

9/10 on steam? First it isn't ACTUALLY a 9/10 on Steam. It's an 85% positive on Steam. A positive rating isn't equivalent to a 100% user review. That's just a binary system of recommend vs not recommend.

It has an 84 metacritic critic, which critics bombed it? It doesn't even have a single negative review.

Topher

Gold Member
Like I said, I've read that being said more than once on GAF, it's a pretty easy search to bring up a couple of examples as well.

Like this
or this
or this

Or the plenty others like that. It was a pretty literal post.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Except none of those posts are saying meta scores are the "deciding factor" on GOTY nominations. Being the "deciding factor" implies meta scores are a direct, crucial part of the nominating process. That ain't what those posts said at all.

Come on man. Really reaching here.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Honestly, this is just a lazy argument.

Why don't you be specific and say which game didn't deserve to be nominated over it?

9/10 on steam? First it isn't ACTUALLY a 9/10 on Steam. It's an 85% positive on Steam. A positive rating isn't equivalent to a 100% user review. That's just a binary system of recommend vs not recommend.

It has an 84 metacritic critic, which critics bombed it? It doesn't even have a single negative review.

Never seen the fat kid talk so much crap at the start of a foot race.

200.gif

Confidence 💯, I’ll give you that.

Point #1: What Game Would it Replace?

Best Action/ Adventure Category:

Star Wars Jedi Survivor:

Steam Score: 6/10

MC Critic: 85

MC User: 6.4

Consider it an RPG and not action/ adventure?

Best RPG category:

Lies of P:

Steam: 9/10

MC Critic: 80

MC User: 8.2

You could pick half of the other more… subjective categories, like:

Best Direction

Innovation in Accessibility

Point #2: It is ACKCHUALLY a 9/10 on steam if you Google it. Google uses a rounded version on the search page. So sorry I didn’t realize steam itself was more meticulous.

Point #3:
No CrItIcS bOmBeD iT:

From Telegraph MC review of 60 (2nd lowest review!):

“While Hogwarts Legacy makes what seems a genuine effort of inclusion, much of it is muddled.”

That is literally their entire hook on the MC page if you don’t open their full review. THAT is what they submitted.

Let’s take a look at Wired’s 1/10 review, shall we? You can tell it is fairly reviewed by its amazing opening headline subtext “The game is mid at best, and its real-world harms are impossible to ignore.”

Before you get all
Nerds Mike Trapp GIF by Dropout.tv

I am aware Wired didn’t submit to MC. Nor did other major outlets, like Eurogamer - since they chose NOT to review it at all, but those people, game industry critics, all play into the selections for the show, so the impact is assuredly felt.

I also saved the best for last…

Starfield is a best RPG nominee. Starfield…

Current Steam Score: 7/10

MC Critic: 83

MC user: 7

😂

K.

Never seen the fat kid talk so much crap at the start of a foot race.

200.gif

Confidence 💯, I’ll give you that.

Point #1: What Game Would it Replace?

Best Action/ Adventure Category:

Star Wars Jedi Survivor:

Steam Score: 6/10

MC Critic: 85

MC User: 6.4

Consider it an RPG and not action/ adventure?

Best RPG category:

Lies of P:

Steam: 9/10

MC Critic: 80

MC User: 8.2

You could pick half of the other more… subjective categories, like:

Best Direction

Innovation in Accessibility

Point #2: It is ACKCHUALLY a 9/10 on steam if you Google it. Google uses a rounded version on the search page. So sorry I didn’t realize steam itself was more meticulous.

Point #3:
No CrItIcS bOmBeD iT:

From Telegraph MC review of 60 (2nd lowest review!):

“While Hogwarts Legacy makes what seems a genuine effort of inclusion, much of it is muddled.”

That is literally their entire hook on the MC page if you don’t open their full review. THAT is what they submitted.

Let’s take a look at Wired’s 1/10 review, shall we? You can tell it is fairly reviewed by its amazing opening headline subtext “The game is mid at best, and its real-world harms are impossible to ignore.”

Before you get all
Nerds Mike Trapp GIF by Dropout.tv

I am aware Wired didn’t submit to MC. Nor did other major outlets, like Eurogamer - since they chose NOT to review it at all, but those people, game industry critics, all play into the selections for the show, so the impact is assuredly felt.

I also saved the best for last…

Starfield is a best RPG nominee. Starfield…

Current Steam Score: 7/10

MC Critic: 83

MC user: 7

😂

K.

As hilarious as your post is, I'll quickly breakdown why you're wrong and where you went wrong
  • Jedi Survivor has a higher metacritic critic rating than Hogwarts Legacy. The VGA are a critics award not a user award and it's entirely plausible that critics didn't take the PC version into account to deny it a nomination. It's a bit of a silly thing to focus on when the majority of people played both games on console.
  • That you couldn't pick which category Hogwarts was in probably hurt its chances unless the VGA specified which category it would be in
    • If some people voted for it in action/adventure and some people voted for it in RPG, it would have split its vote to its own detriment
  • You still didn't say which game it should have been nominated over for best direction or why it should have been nominated for innovation in accessibility over something else
  • A single 60/100 is not a "review bomb" and is pretty well within the standard mean for a game that is reviewed in the 80s
  • So you fully admit that these reviews didn't impact its review score, thank you
  • See answer before on category for my response to whether it is better or worse than Starfield
For what it is worth, I think the game is officially categorized as an adventure game and that was a crowded field this year and every single game nominated in that category has a better grade than Hogwarts Legacy.

0neAnd0nly

As hilarious as your post is, I'll quickly breakdown why you're wrong and where you went wrong
  • Jedi Survivor has a higher metacritic critic rating than Hogwarts Legacy. The VGA are a critics award not a user award and it's entirely plausible that critics didn't take the PC version into account to deny it a nomination. It's a bit of a silly thing to focus on when the majority of people played both games on console.
  • That you couldn't pick which category Hogwarts was in probably hurt its chances unless the VGA specified which category it would be in
    • If some people voted for it in action/adventure and some people voted for it in RPG, it would have split its vote to its own detriment
  • You still didn't say which game it should have been nominated over for best direction or why it should have been nominated for innovation in accessibility over something else
  • A single 60/100 is not a "review bomb" and is pretty well within the standard mean for a game that is reviewed in the 80s
  • So you fully admit that these reviews didn't impact its review score, thank you
  • See answer before on category for my response to whether it is better or worse than Starfield
For what it is worth, I think the game is officially categorized as an adventure game and that was a crowded field this year and every single game nominated in that category has a better grade than Hogwarts Legacy.

I truly think you are just trying to find excuses to why what will be a top 3 selling game this year, with overwhelmingly positive reviews (even with some purposefully lowering it because “muh politicz”) shouldn’t be nominated at all because YOU yourself have a personal bias with the game.

It can’t be “mostly positive” and “bad” at the same time.

Some of those reviews are a part of the MC critic calculation, so yes - they do affect the score. If you’d like, I can go quote more of the lower scores articles that include personal feelings on social issues as a part of their review?

Everyone is entitled to feelings on whatever they please, but it shouldn’t affect doing your job, IMO, when your job is to fairly critique something.

I didn’t specify the other awards because they are largely subjective.

The game is characterized officially as an “Open-World Action RPG”.

So going back to RPG, and using your critic score theory:

• Lies of P: 80 Critic score (4 points lower than HL)

• Starfield: 83 (1 point lower than HL)

Fredrik

PC gamers gravitate towards PS5 not Xbox because Xbox exclusives have been day and date on both platforms. PC gamers buy a Playstation to supplement their PC to get access to Sony exclusives.
For me:

Xbox in general has been my living room Gamepass box for years now. It’s not a must-own at all but it’s a convenient and silent PC Gamepass companion solution instead of trying to build my own living room box or use long cables. A X/Pro version is neccessary though. Performance is dropping.
- The pizza of gaming, not the best but it’s easily accessed and you keep coming back.

Playstation is definitely more of a must-own box imo. That said, the late PC releases has change things for me, at this point I only use my PS5 for the rare Sony exclusives I can’t wait on for PC. Means I use it maybe 50 hours per year. A Pro console could change this, would make me less interested in the PC versions.
- The AAA desserts of gaming, over quick but you’ll remember it and want more.

Nintendo platforms in general is mostly for my kids. I play Zelda and Mario and Metroid, which are always GOTY games but don’t come very often.
- The occasional sweet candy of gaming.

Steam Deck is my new comfy PC gaming solution. Been using the LCD Deck for hundreds of hours already and the OLED Deck is coming soon. It’s definitely eating on the console playtime since consoles has always been my comfy gaming solution and since it’s Steam I don’t have to double dip on game purchases. Performance is getting problematic on new releases though.
- Bedtime snacks of gaming.

For me:

Xbox in general has been my living room Gamepass box for years now. It’s not a must-own at all but it’s a convenient and silent PC Gamepass companion solution instead of trying to build my own living room box or use long cables. A X/Pro version is neccessary though. Performance is dropping.
- The pizza of gaming, not the best but it’s easily accessed and you keep coming back.

Playstation is definitely more of a must-own box imo. That said, the late PC releases has change things for me, at this point I only use my PS5 for the rare Sony exclusives I can’t wait on for PC. Means I use it maybe 50 hours per year. A Pro console could change this, would make me less interested in the PC versions.
- The AAA desserts of gaming, over quick but you’ll remember it and want more.

Nintendo platforms in general is mostly for my kids. I play Zelda and Mario and Metroid, which are always GOTY games but don’t come very often.
- The occasional sweet candy of gaming.

Steam Deck is my new comfy PC gaming solution. Been using the LCD Deck for hundreds of hours already and the OLED Deck is coming soon. It’s definitely eating on the console playtime since consoles has always been my comfy gaming solution and since it’s Steam I don’t have to double dip on game purchases. Performance is getting problematic on new releases though.
- Bedtime snacks of gaming.
Disagree on the must own PS5. The PS4 is cheaper and plays the best games PS5 library has to offer and will ever offer in the future. Similar criticism applies to the Series consoles, but they at least have the enhanced PS3/XB360 library. Unfortunately, the PS3s and Xbox 360s of the world are dying and their games are often better than PS4/XBONE libraries in various genres. They are not very well emulated on PC either and probably won't be for at least another decade.

Why? So you can laugh at it?

I just skimmed bland lists of like 1000 games over the last 20 years so you can shit on it. Have fun. I'm sure I missed some, but this is my ultra fast and rushed guess of what I may have thought. Probably forgot some. My eyes are glazing over.

I did forget Gravity Rush in 2012. That gets my vote as well. Loved it.

2023: Starfield (so far)
2022: Pentiment (runner up Bayonetta 3)
2021: Metroid Dread (runner up The Ascent)
2020: Streets of Rage 4
2019: I don't think I even found one I would want to give GOTY for this year. I enjoyed Bloodstained. I didn't play Disco Elysium or Astral Chain yet so maybe one of those if I ever get around to it. I'd have to keep looking. It wasn't a great for me and gaming.
2018: God of War
2017: Breath of the Wild
2016: Star Fox Zero / Guard (runner up Kirby: Planet Robobot)
2015: Splatoon (runner up MGS V)
2014: Bayonetta 2
2013: Splinter Cell: Blacklist
2012: Gravity Rush (runner up Dragon's Dogma)
2011: Skyward Sword
2010: Mass Effect 2 (runner up Castlevania Lords of Shadow)
2009: Demon's Souls (runner FFXIII)
2008: Ninja Gaiden 2 (runner up Prince of Persia)
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2006: Twilight Princess
2005: Resident Evil 4
2004: Ninja Gaiden
2003: Knights of the Old Republic
2002: Soul Calibur 2 (runner up Morrowind)
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2 (runner up FFX)
2000: FFIX (runner up THPS 2)
1999: Soul Reaver
1998: Ocarina of Time
1997: Goldeneye
1996: Mario 64
1995: Chrono Trigger
1994: Virtua Fighter 2 (arcade) (runner up FFVI)
1993: Mortal Kombat II (arcade)
1992: Streets of Rage 2
1991: A Link to the Past (runner up FFIV)
1990: Super Mario World (runner up F-Zero)
1989: Shadow Dancer
1988: Ninja Gaiden
1987: Contra
1986: Zelda
1985: Mario (runner up Duck Hunt)
1984: Still shitting my pants and learning to talk at this point. But even back then, I was dreaming of a Xbox future and just waiting for my moment.
1983: Crawling
1982: In the womb
Personal GOTYs 1984-2023:

1984 - Duck Hunt
1985 - Super Mario Bros.
1986 - Metroid
1987 - Legend of Zelda
1988 - Contra (NES)
1989 - Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
1990 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
1991 - The Simpsons (Arcade)
1992 - Street Fighter II: Championship Edition