• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood and Wine has to be one of the greatest expansions ever made

Loved both expansions ... HoS was my favorite of the two but blood and wine was amazing in its own right. Witcher DLC was the one time in which I had no qualms shelling out for the season pass as I truly felt my money was well spent by placing my trust in CDPR

Ultimadrago

I love the salt in that thread.

For Witcher to get enough attention to garner such sodium levels (between 2015 and 2016) is a hallmark for the series in exposure. I don't believe the general Internet had Witcher 2 in their mouths as much (and certainly not Witcher 1).

Here's to CDPR keeping it up!

drotahorror

No, no it wasn't. HoS is terrible in comparison I was very let down.

BaW is on my list to play soon, but I played through HoS a month ago and really enjoyed it. I liked the story a lot, it was pretty fun.

From what I've heard, HoS has a better story, BaW has more shit to do.

^Edited due to me having them backwards.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sod it, bought the double discounted GOTY edition on ps4.

If the performance is bad so be it, I need to finally finish this game and the world is so damn compelling. Really excited to jump back in!

Stoze

No, no it wasn't. HoS is terrible in comparison I was very let down.
First time I've heard that, you're in the minority. A lot of people prefer HoS (and for good reason, it's a very focused and well executed Grimm Tale re-imagining) and those who don't probably wouldn't say it's terrible in comparison.

It's also kind of weird comparison in the first place, they're doing very different things.

I love the salt in that thread.
It's especially great when people's critical thinking went out the fucking window and could not wrap their head around the idea about how it won.

You could sit down, step by fucking step, and explain how amazing it is, how you could in theory play it without playing the rest of the game, how it was a solid 20-30 hours of rpg, how fun it was and how it essentially was a standalone expansion that had little to do with the main game outside of needing the original title to unlock it, and they'd still go "but.. It's dlc and dlc r not real game"

Talking to a wall.

Artdayne

Blood and Wine is better than Hearts of Stone IMO. New NPC dialogue, new music, new assets, the Question Mark (?) quests around the map were a vast improvement over the ones in the vanilla game. There were a lot of interesting side quests, Regis is an awesome character, the vampire lore was fascinating, there were gameplay improvements over the vanilla and Hearts of Stone gameplay. It was better. No doubt that HoS had the more refined and better story but I preferred the totality of the Blood and Wine experience.

Moff

Blood and Wine was good, but Wild Hunt game was better and HoS is the best of the three. HoS also proved that Geralt just works better in smaller environments, and that by making it a part of the best open world RPG ever. CDPR are incredible.
Blood and Wine certainly is the most beautiful of the three though.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm replaying it at 4K downsample this time. Such a rich game.

The only thing I don't like is that my backlog of quests become low level and trivial. Way more fun to snipe 6 level higher enemies with bleeding arrows and burning bombs.

Also doing Gwent this time. The panflute tavern theme is sweet.

teh_pwn

In so curious about their upcoming game. Their standard for western RPGs hasn't been matched in 2 years.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i bought TW3 at launch but couldnt really play it because my computer wasnt good enough. Now my computer has been upgraded but should i even bother playing the base game without the expansion packs?

emag

I bought the Witcher 3 season pass and installed the expansions yesterday. Loaded my NG+ save from 2015 to reacquaint myself with the game systems and was blown away by how huge a step down the combat is from Nioh, which I'd recently been playing. I mean, I found TW3's gameplay in 2015 only tolerable, but now it feels like it's generations removed, like going back to 2600 platformers after the SMB3, SMW, and YI.

Hopefully there isn't too much combat in HoS/B&W. Or maybe I should just play through some other games first so Nioh isn't fresh in my mind.

i bought TW3 at launch but couldnt really play it because my computer wasnt good enough. Now my computer has been upgraded but should i even bother playing the base game without the expansion packs?

yeah, the base game is still solid, and it's been improved dramatically since launch thanks to patches that tweak performance, balance, and UI elements. you can always grab the expansion packs later if you're digging it.

teh_pwn

Yes. They build on each other. If you continue from your character in the original it's nearly impossible to not reach the end of the original to be strong enough to start the dlc.

m051293

Blood & Wine > Hearts of Stone > Base Game

Hearts of Stone offers the best narrative of the three and character writing is top-notch.

Blood & Wine offers you a full game experience with a map that is better designed (a lot more intuitive traversal and far less bland empty space than the base game) and is more densely packed than the base game, improves the RPG mechanics, has a superior soundtrack, offers a better balance between main story/side quests/contracts without the bloat/excess of the main game (also quests don't take themselves as seriously), and is an improvement ITO tech across the board (improved animations/idiosyncrasy system, better LOD and draw distance plus better environmental textures), and better art design.

Namely the really neat subtle visual nod to BOTW.

Is probably one of my favorite recent easter eggs in all of gaming.

What the hell LMAO

People always joke that BOTW is always needlessly brought up in threads and claimed to be an inspiration behind every game, but this goddamn expansion came out nearly a year before.

JeTmAn81

Just finished Heart of Stone which was awesome. Redoing the ending now to try for the "good" conclusion. Heading into Blood & Wine after I take a break with some other games. Looking forward to it! Everything Witcher 3 is amazing.

SkylineRKR

Blood and Wine is THE best. Heart of Stone is also amazing, perhaps even better in terms of storyline.

Fuck that final boss of Blood and Wine though. But fuck that group boss battle from HoS also.

WaterAstro

Near subtle nod to BOTW LMAO THE JOKE!

But, yeah, CDProjekt's effort for Blood and Wine is insane for the DLC. Definitely #1 in my books as far as expansion goes.

Mercador

I haven't finished the original content and it seems I'm already way overleveled... Does it mess up with DLCs ?

I'd rank it behind the main game and HoS honestly. Touissant is gorgeous but it lacks that miserable atmosphere from the main game that I loved. It needed better sidequests too, there were only a handful of memorable ones. Strangely, I found the best thing about it to be the design of the open world itself. I spent a lot of time wandering around and discovering things, which I never found interesting in the main game.

ghibli99

This reminds me that I still need to finish it! If it ends up being better than Hearts of Stone though, I'll be more than pleasantly surprised. :)

Falchion

I've got the expansion pass and can't wait until I finally make it to Blood and Wine. It's going to be the perfect way to cap off my Witcher 3 playthrough.

Keasar

Blood and Wine was great, but personally I think I put Hearts of Stone a step above for it's absolutely excellent story and one of the best used villains in a video game ever.

Gaunter O'Dimm.
latest

His smile fair as spring, as towards him he draws you;
His tongue sharp and silvery as he implores you.
Your wishes he grants, as he swears to adore you,
Gold, silver, jewels - he lays riches before you.
Dues need be repaid and he will come for you
All to reclaim, no smile to console you.
He'll snare you in bonds, eyes glowing afire
To gore and torment you till the stars expire!

Like holy shit, there just is nothing topping him right now, everything about him is great. How they planned for his true reveal, his existence throughout the entire main game and the way he was cameod in Blood & Wine that showed how his reach was everywhere.

MaKTaiL

Undead Nightmare on RDR is still the best IMO. It was only $8 bucks when it launched and the amount of stuff to do was insane.

Top Bottom