• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter suspends 3 Daily Stormer accounts (& more neo-Nazis being banned by services)

Calion

https://twitter.com/TheAnonJournal/status/897873792084697089

C7Z0Qkl.png

If Twitter banned Donald Trump now, especially after that hate speech he made yesterday, he'd be taking one of the biggest blows to his EGO ever.

AND his biggest mouthpiece would be silenced.

Curious to see if this is either the extent of what they intend to do in response to Charlottesville, or if it may be a 'test' for what response they might get if they were to say... go after bigger fish.

Majine

Banned
Nothing makes me more cynical these days than knowing that Twitter will never ever ban Trump, for the free publicity he creates for them.

vypek

Nothing makes me more cynical these days than knowing that Twitter will never ever ban Trump, for the free publicity he creates for them.

I think I might be happier if they removed all of his followers from following him than a ban. Just him tweeting to no one. A sad account with no one to talk to.

Wiped89

I don't think it's as simple as that though.

That would be a company exerting power over the President. As much as I hate Trump, don't you think that having a platform effectively tell the President what he can and can't say or do is also dangerous? Like, it would officially be social media developers usurping the White House.

That would be a company exerting power over the President. As much as I hate Trump, don't you think that having a platform effectively tell the President what he can and can't say or do is also dangerous? Like, it would officially be social media developers usurping the White House.
Twitter is a private company, trump can still communicate without twitter

MUnited83

For you.

Usurping what now?

Twitter is a private platform. You're not entitled to it, no matter if you're a random internet jackass or the fucking President of the US. He also already has more than enough resources to get his word diahrea out to the public.

Please let this be the start of something; I feel immense guilt using the platform as it is. It's infuriating Twitter would barely lift a finger to ban bigots, racists and the lile.

Misha

Banned
Not really, they have to consider their share price. Banning racists is good, and they won't face backlash for it, but trying to ban Trump as some have suggested? Probably wouldn't serve the company well.

thats not related to the conversation you quoted. the initial question was whether it was dangerous to have control over what the president says and the answer is of course not, the company can enforce its own rules on its site and is not obligated to keep him on.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Good.

Trump is literally incriminating himself daily. It will be evidence in the Mueller investigation and part of his downfall. Let him tweet and let his enablers continue to pretend everything is OK.

right. As awesome as the fall out would be if twitter did ban him, this is where i'm out. The fall out from when he gets impeached is going to be amazing.

Wiped89

Usurping what now?

Twitter is a private platform. You're not entitled to it, no matter if you're a random internet jackass or the fucking President of the US. He also already has more than enough resources to get his word diahrea out to the public.

Actually it's a public company now

But then, phone companies are companies, most of them private firms or publicly traded. If a phone company refused to carry Trump's calls, that would be just as problematic.

Companies can't exert direct power over a President, any president. It's getting into really weird territory.

I hate Trump, hate him, but that's just my thoughts on why Twitter wouldn't and shouldn't suspend him. You don't have to agree.

SeanC

We need Trump on there. Don't take him away. Twitter is now evidence, the use of the word "ban" by him for example on Twitter is one of the things that helped the Muslim ban not happen.

Top Bottom