• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire BOOK Discussion |OT2| Unmarked SPOILERS for Published Material

Judderman

drawer by drawer
@GRRMSpeaking said:
So, my publishers say I have to start trying to appeal to a younger audience...

C9GPK5nU0AA76Nq.jpg:small

...Hrm.

Kuraudo

Banned
Will it be out before S8? lol

No.

More time has now passed since the publication of ADwD than passed between the publications of AFfC and ADwD. Martin's clearly having serious structural problems with the remaining books that can't be fixed by him simply writing more/faster.

Aiii

So not worth it
No.

More time has now passed since the publication of ADwD than passed between the publications of AFfC and ADwD. Martin's clearly having serious structural problems with the remaining books that can't be fixed by him simply writing more/faster.

He's not having structural issues, I bet that was a load of shit the last time he used that excuse, too.

I know people like to find excuses for him, and I totally get it, but from all we can see, he's doing as much work as possible just trying not to write. He's got projects for days, but for all the excuses people make for George, all signs point to him simply losing the passion to sit down and write a big book. He wants to do fun stuff instead.

More power to him, but lets not make excuses for the guy. He should just swallow his pride at this point, hire a ghostwriter and deliver outlines instead.

fuuuuuuck i feel old. Crazy that after all his talk of the Meereneese knot he's still running into a wall. I wonder if it's the time skip he'd originally intended to do that threw a wrench in the works? It does seem like there's a lot of ground to cover for some chracters, particularly Dany, to get them to where they need to be in just 2 books. You gotta figure Dany doesn't make landfall in Westeros until the end of Winds, or close to it, and then she has to go to the wall, possibly deal with FAegon, destroy The Others while teaming up with Bran, Jon and Tyrion, and die in a heroic sacrifice or something, all in one book.

CassSept

No.

Huh, that's true. The gap between ADWD and AFFC was 2094 days. Adding 2094 to ADWD release date gives us April 5th, 2017, which means that milestone had been passed last week. Well.

Black_Sun

fuuuuuuck i feel old. Crazy that after all his talk of the Meereneese knot he's still running into a wall. I wonder if it's the time skip he'd originally intended to do that threw a wrench in the works? It does seem like there's a lot of ground to cover for some chracters, particularly Dany, to get them to where they need to be in just 2 books. You gotta figure Dany doesn't make landfall in Westeros until the end of Winds, or close to it, and then she has to go to the wall, possibly deal with FAegon, destroy The Others while teaming up with Bran, Jon and Tyrion, and die in a heroic sacrifice or something, all in one book.

The thing is that Daenerys' plot should go relatively quickly.

He writes a 1500 page book, correct? So how many of them are usually dedicated to Tyrion? Usually more than Daenerys.

You hook Tyrion and Daenerys up and you pretty much more than double the speed of her plot.

And as Daenerys starts connecting with more POVs, the faster her plot should go.

Paganmoon

The thing is that Daenerys' plot should go relatively quickly.

He writes a 1500 page book, correct? So how many of them are usually dedicated to Tyrion? Usually more than Daenerys.

You hook Tyrion and Daenerys up and you pretty much more than double the speed of her plot.

And as Daenerys starts connecting with more POVs, the faster her plot should go.

Oh, so he's already done writing everything then?
You're writing that as if he just finished Dance and now it's just the home stretch:)

Update from a few days ago. Just wanted to get it in here for posterity.
Speaking of fake history... regulars here may recall our plan to assemble an entire book of my fake histories of the Targaryen kings, a volume we called (in jest) the GRRMarillion or (more seriously) FIRE AND BLOOD. We have so much material that it's been decided to publish the book in two volumes. The first of those will cover the history of Westeros from Aegon's Conquest up to and through the regency of the boy king Aegon III (the Dragonbane). That one is largely written, and will include (for the first time) a complete detailed history of the Targaryen civil war, the Dance of the Dragons. My stories in DANGEROUS WOMEN ("The Princess and the Queen") and ROGUES ("The Rogue Prince") were abridged versions of the same histories.

No publication date has been set yet, but it's likely that we will get the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD out in late 2018 or early 2019. The second volume, which will carry the history from Aegon III up to Robert's Rebellion, is largely unwritten, so that one will be a few more years in coming.

And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...

Meanwhile, you'll have Gardner's anthology to fill the time. Keep your swords sharp!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
since we might as well have some book discussion in here, anyone not convinced that jon is rhaegar and lyanna's kid?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Probably as many people that aren't convinced that Jon is coming back.

i do have one issue with it, the promise ned made to lyanna. i used to think it was pretty straightforward, keep jon safe. but it seemed like ned thought he had broken his promise. why would he do that? as far as he knew, jon was hanging around at the wall. not the safest place, of course, but he didn't seem to object when jon was actually going there.

now if the promise was to keep dany safe, that would make sense. he had failed to prevent assassins from being hired to kill her.

of course it might be something about letting jon know about his parents, but that would seem like a pretty odd request to just throw in on your deathbed.

Aiii

So not worth it
So GRRM lied to D&D when he gave them the cliffnotes to each character when he told them about Jon, or they just ignored him?

jett

D-Member
i do have one issue with it, the promise ned made to lyanna. i used to think it was pretty straightforward, keep jon safe. but it seemed like ned thought he had broken his promise. why would he do that? as far as he knew, jon was hanging around at the wall. not the safest place, of course, but he didn't seem to object when jon was actually going there.

now if the promise was to keep dany safe, that would make sense. he had failed to prevent assassins from being hired to kill her.

of course it might be something about letting jon know about his parents, but that would seem like a pretty odd request to just throw in on your deathbed.

What do you mean Ned thought be broke his promise? Anyway, the Wall is a dangerous place.

So GRRM lied to D&D when he gave them the cliffnotes to each character when he told them about Jon, or they just ignored him?
You know, this specific topic aside, I think people are overvaluing how much actual information GRRM supplies D&D with. Even worse now that we, the readers, have no books to put them in check with, so to speak. I bet D&D feel like they can do whatever the hell they want without little repercussions. For the time being anyway!

Nevermind that GRRM probably changes his mind all the time...

sammex

He's gone from I think it will be out this year, to 7 months later saying it's hard to say if 2018 or possibly 2019. What the hell happened? Pretty bleak news really.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
What do you mean Ned thought be broke his promise? Anyway, the Wall is a dangerous place.

this bit from GoT in the dungeons:

When he slept, he dreamed: dark disturbing dreams of blood and broken promises.

and sure, the wall is dangerous, but any place in westeros is dangerous. the wall is where benjen went and where ned had no real trouble sending jon to. i don't accept jon going to the wall as an adequate explanation for breaking a promise that's along the lines of "keep him safe." surely it did not mean "treat him like a baby forever."

Severance

He's gone from I think it will be out this year, to 7 months later saying it's hard to say if 2018 or possibly 2019. What the hell happened? Pretty bleak news really.

I honestly think he's having trouble trying to avoid a third book whether it's a Feast/Dance scenario with split POVs or another book in between Winds and A Dream of Spring. There's still almost all those POV characters still alive which caused the split in the first place. Two books to get to the ending with GRRMs writing style seems to be a daunting task. He actually has to plan for the ending now. I think it's finally sinking in for him. I wish him the best. But hey, that's my uninformed opinion. I could be wrong. I think it's safe to say something is troubling him. His outlook on the Winds release has changed for the worse.

Brakke

Banned
Would the promise have been so mundane as "keep him safe" tho? If Lyanna was in love with Rhaegar -- and I think that's a fair bet -- then she'd have known Rhaegar's theory about Jon being The Prince That Was Promised.

If it was just "take care of my son" she wouldn't have needed to deliriously beg Ned for his promise. She could've just trusted him, a brother she loved, to raise her son for her.

Would the promise have been so mundane as "keep him safe" tho? If Lyanna was in love with Rhaegar -- and I think that's a fair bet -- then she'd have known Rhaegar's theory about Jon being The Prince That Was Promised.

If it was just "take care of my son" she wouldn't have needed to deliriously beg Ned for his promise. She could've just trusted him, a brother she loved, to raise her son for her.

The whole thing requires Ned to lie to his best friend and king and put his entire family at risk by harboring Rhaegar's son. That's not exactly mundane.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

but that's the thing, if she was bleeding to death, i doubt there was too much time to get into prophecies and whatnot. now, of course since ned managed to time his arrival so perfectly i suppose you could also accept there was time to get into the gritty details, but it feels a bit too convenient. did she give him a lecture on the prince that was promised before bleeding out?

i guess the promise could have been more vague at this point, maybe to get the details from ashara dayne later or whatever, but i don't remember there being anything to suggest ned was aware of any prophecies or rhaegar's schemes to save the world.

there's also the bit where he hasn't thought about rhaegar in years. if you're raising his kid whom you probably see every day, how does that happen?

KahooTs

I don't think it's the case, but there's the chance the promise was for Ned to burn Jon.

TPTWP is supposed to die, it's a sacrifice to wake dragons, at least that's what Rhaegar has interpreted. First Rhaegar thought it was himself. Then he thought it was his children, then he thought he needed three of them. That's what three heads of the dragons refers to, three sacrifices to wake dragons. Hence why he's emo with a sense of doom about him, why he writes sad songs about the death of kings, about his own death and the ones he loves. Why he's sad during Aegon's birth and the song of ice and fire he plays for him is sweet and sad.

Rhaegar was making children for the purpose of sacrifice, or at best he believed were fated to die. On the other hand Ned did everything he could to save every child he came across, not just Jon but Dany, the Lannister children and his final act his own. Nothing came before innocent children, not his life or even his honour.

And so it'll come down to a choice for Jon, embrace the Rhaegar as his father and Targaryen as his house, and let his bastard child be sacrificed for dragons to save the world. Or the opposite in Ned, and save the child. Ice v fire, preservation v consumption.

So Lyanna's promise might be what it seems, save Jon. Might be specifically don't let them burn him, don't let them sacrifice him. Or if she's on the same shit as Rhaegar, the promise may have been to burn Jon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The promise wasn't to "keep Jon safe", it was to never tell a soul about Jon's true identity. Because if Robert ever found out, he'd have him killed for being a Targ.

KahooTs

If you're talking about the dungeon scene the guilt isn't specifically about the promise, that's just the calling card GRRM uses whenever Ned thinks about Lyanna being Jon's mother because obviously he can't just say it outright. The guilt Ned's feeling is because he promised Jon he'd tell him who his mother was but now he's thinking he's not going to be able to and Jon will never know. Hence why he asks if Varys would deliver a letter without reading it for him.

Ros8105

800px-Darkstar_by_arkoniel.jpg

"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night"

He's so relatable.
Forget TWOW. Darkstar book series when? Get on it GRRM.

Top Bottom