• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire BOOK Discussion |OT2| Unmarked SPOILERS for Published Material

Gigglepoo

C11o3zHUsAEWLuI.jpg

itshappening.jpg

Lothar

Banned
He is seriously going in reverse. That is just hilarious. Last new year he said he thought he could have it done in a couple of months. Now it's this year, maybe.

In August 2015, he thought he was going to have it done by Christmas 2015.

Around about August, I had to face facts: I was not going to be done by Halloween. I cannot tell you how deeply that realization depressed me.

Early August saw me back east for my nephew's wedding and an appearance with the Staten Island Direwolves. I took advantage of the visit to have another sit down with my editors and publishers and told them that I didn't think I could deliver by Halloween. I thought they'd be sick about it... but I have to say, my editors and publishers are great, and they took it with surprising equanimity. (Maybe they knew it before I did). They already had contigencies in place. They had made plans to speed up production. If I could deliver WINDS OF WINTER by the end of the year, they told me, they could still get it our before the end of March.

I was immensely relieved. I had two whole extra months! I could make that, certainly. August was an insane month, too much travel, too many other obligations... but I'd have September, October, and now November and December as well. Once again I was confident I could do it.

ADWD was 6 years of this too. He knows his prognostications are useless, it's why he's been so deliberately silent. He's trying to avoid raising false expectations that the book is coming soon, but the fans keep doing it to themselves anyway.

ZeroRay

Either this guy is feeling himself way too much when the writing is going good and he overestimates the hell out of his future progress, or he came across huge structural/story problems during those last months of 2015.

Probably both lol

Black_Sun

Either this guy is feeling himself way too much when the writing is going good and he overestimates the hell out of his future progress, or he came across huge structural/story problems during those last months of 2015.

Probably both lol

Definitely both. When he gets a fresh idea that he likes a lot, he starts writing like the devil.

He gets bored when he knows what's already going to happen.

But yeah sounds like he also came across some story structure problems that he had to fix or he'd have at least finished last year.

The good news is that it doesn't sound like he's gone backwards and he's probably pretty far along.

The bad news is that because he's not 100 % sure then that means he's not far enough to be finishing any time soon. He sounds like he's at least a few hundred pages from finishing.

Black_Sun

Here's the ADWD comparison just so you guys can see. "GRRM was pretty specific for his progress on ADWD:"

January 2006: 542 Manuscript pages cut from A Feast for Crows to A Dance with Dragons
October 2007: 472 Manuscript pages edited down from the 542 batch
March 2008: 596 Manuscript Pages
May 2008: 684 Manuscript Pages
December 2008: 774 Manuscript Pages
September 2009: 998 Manuscript Pages
January 2010: 1038 Manuscript Pages
June 2010: 1028 Manuscript Pages (But remember, he cut 100 pages in June 2010 to TWOW)
August 2010: 1332 Manuscript Pages
December 2010: 1412 Manuscript Pages
April 2011: 1571 Manuscript Pages

88random

An update, yay! But there goes my prediction about coming out before season 7. I might still get the right year tho.

Anyway, the fact that he is disappointed because people are asking him questions about the Winds of Winter instead of Wild Cards made me laugh.

"As for me, I am getting back to work. There's good news on that front too -- A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is half-done!!!" GRRM 2005

"I have half a dozen different projects on my plate, but the big one is A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, and I am going to be pushing hard on that in the weeks and months to come, in hopes of wrapping it up by the end of the year." - GRRM 2006

"I am not a big believer in New Year resolutions, but I do have some goals for 2008, both personal and professional, and the most urgent of those remains A DANCE WITH DRAGONS." GRRM - 2007

"If I can deliver the book before the end of June, you'll see these in your favorite bookstore sometime this fall." - GRRM 2008

"I am trying to finish the book by June. I think I can do that. If I do, A DANCE WITH DRAGONS will likely be published in September or October." - GRRM 2009

"'nuff said." - GRRM 2010

"We're hoping to have a finished manuscript by Christmas. He's told me he has five chapters left and bits of each chapter are done. He really wants it done by the end of the year. We really -- I mean really -- want to announce the pub date in January." - Anne Groel October 2010

JULY 12, 2011 - A Dance with Dragons officially published.

"Plainly, many of you need to read more Wild Cards. Get right on that, please! A new year is a great time for a new addiction! (And you can get signed copies from the Jean Cocteau bookshop)."
- GRRM 2017

But more seriously based on the GRRM cycle of quotes we are still about 2 years away from him finishing the book.

KonradLaw

At this point I'm kind of hoping it won't be out till late next year, because it would be hilarious if the whole show would start and end before he even finished the manuscript for one novel :D

Frodo

At this point I'm kind of hoping it won't be out till late next year, because it would be hilarious if the whole show would start and end before he even finished the manuscript for one novel :D

Same.

I don't think I need to hope for that to happen, though.

Black_Sun

An update, yay! But there goes my prediction about coming out before season 7. I might still get the right year tho.

Anyway, the fact that he is disappointed because people are asking him questions about the Winds of Winter instead of Wild Cards made me laugh.

Could still happen seeing as GOT doesn't come back out until June. GRRM would have to finish by the end of March though. Slim chance of that.

Kaladin

Eh, Winds of Winter can come whenever it wants. Late 2017 - Early 2018 reading is reserved for Stormlight Archives #3.

Faddy

Banned
Here's the ADWD comparison just so you guys can see. "GRRM was pretty specific for his progress on ADWD:"

January 2006: 542 Manuscript pages cut from A Feast for Crows to A Dance with Dragons
October 2007: 472 Manuscript pages edited down from the 542 batch
March 2008: 596 Manuscript Pages
May 2008: 684 Manuscript Pages
December 2008: 774 Manuscript Pages
September 2009: 998 Manuscript Pages
January 2010: 1038 Manuscript Pages
June 2010: 1028 Manuscript Pages (But remember, he cut 100 pages in June 2010 to TWOW)
August 2010: 1332 Manuscript Pages
December 2010: 1412 Manuscript Pages
April 2011: 1571 Manuscript Pages

Yes but those details only came out after publication and he gave almost no updates in the two years before publication. AND before that he always claimed he was mere months from finishing.

GRRM Confirms 2017 Publishing Date
for "The Sons of the Dragon", a new ASoIaF story

I have a story in the book. "The Sons of the Dragon" is the title. Those of you who enjoyed "The Princess and the Queen" in DANGEROUS WOMEN and "The Rogue Prince" in ROGUES will probably like this one too. It's water from the same well. A history rather than a traditional narrative. A lot of telling, only a little showing. (The opposite of what I do in my novels). But if you're fascinated by the politics of Westeros, as many of my readers seem to be, you should enjoy it. As the title suggests, "The Sons of the Dragon" chronicles the reigns of the second and third Targaryen kings, Aenys I and Maegor the Cruel, along with their mothers, wives, sisters, children, friends, enemies, and rivals. If you're read something to that effect on the web, good, that much is right.

Long-time lurkers on this site will recall that several years ago, when we were working on the gorgeous illustrated worldbook/ concordance that was eventually published as THE WORLD OF ICE & FIRE, I wrote a number of 'sidebar's about Westerosi history. Actually, I got rather carried away, until I found I had written 350,000 words of sidebars for a book that was supposed to have only 50,000 words of text (it ended up having a lot more that that, actually).

"The Sons of the Dragon" came from the same place. Gardner asked me for a story. I told him I did not have the time to write a story. He asked if perhaps I had more like "The Princess and the Queen" lying about... as it happened, I did. So I sent him "The Sons of the Dragon," he liked it, and there we are. (Fwiw, though "Sons" has never been published before, some of you may have heard me read it at one convention or another. I think I've read it twice, though offhand I do not recall when).

Ratrat

Like getting stabbed in the gut and then having the dagger slowly twisted side to side.

At least it's something, right?
As trolls go, this doesnt even make me mad. Princess and the Queen was really great.

Anyway, is Martin just chopping up an unfinished Targ book? Rogue Prince especially felt like a fragment of a longer book.

As trolls go, this doesnt even make me mad. Princess and the Queen was really great.

Anyway, is Martin just chopping up an unfinished Targ book? Rogue Prince especially felt like a fragment of a longer book.

Yes, this is all stuff that he had originally written for The World of Ice and Fire before realizing that it wouldn't fit and cut it out to become an eventual Targaryen history book.

Kuraudo

Banned
I wish the histories weren't part of a longer, unfinished book. Would love a collected edition of them like the Dunk and Egg stories, but as long as there's plans for some distant, larger work I can't see Martin publishing them together. I don't really want to buy anthologies with literally nothing else I care about just to read them.

venom2124

Has anyone picked up the enhanced editions on iBooks? They are up to a feast for crows I think. I was going to start my series reread soon in hopes that winds of winter releases later this year and I might download these. Description said it's full of illustrations, maps, and house info. Just curious if anyone can give me their opinions on these editions.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
GRRM on Twitter said:
I wonder what my fans will be talking about in the comments today? Oh...right...The same ultra motivational speeches I get every day... Yay!

oh dear

Why make a comment like that unless you're still way behind and the book isn't coming out anytime soon.

At this point we can say with confidence Winds won't be out before S7 (or before S7's finale). I'd bet it won't be out by the fall either, and assuming he can't get it out before Black Friday it won't be out this year.

Will it be out before S8? lol

Top Bottom