• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

sagat2036

Streamer conformed equipment doesnt come from packs but is bought from store with mission funds.

Streamer was teawrex and has his name in the credits for the game and worked with bioware for over a year.

Zolo

I can notice the animation flaws in the game, but I'm glad that graphics and stuff like this in general tend to be pretty low on the stuff in games that can bug me.

Luxorek

After playing ME:A for 3 hours... oh boy, the biggest fucking exaggeration of issues I have ever witnessed.

I want to play the rest of the trial before putting my thoughts to paper, but I'm much more optimistic now. Performance is great too, at least for me. I have an i5-4690k, 8 gigs of Ram and a GTX 970 - and on Ultra settings [shadows on High] I get almost constant 60fps at 1400x900 resolution that I play at. That video card really is a gift that keeps on giving.

Also, the game is gorgeous at times. Really a looker, even if I can recognize some stock Bioware animations that don't really fit with the visuals.

Zolo

oh boy, the biggest fucking exaggeration of issues I have ever witnessed.

I find a lot of complaints on the internet to a lot of things to be exaggerated....or at least I don't tend to mind certain flaws as much as a lot of other users tend to.

chaislip3

After playing ME:A for 3 hours... oh boy, the biggest fucking exaggeration of issues I have ever witnessed.

MtZ9N.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wait, so I can be a Sentinel w/ Tech Armor, plus Cloak + Biotic Charge + Barrier in a single Favorite?

Holy moly.

I think i need to experiment a bit more with skills rather than being pure biotic like a good old "Adept".

By the way, where do you check how much your current gun weight affects your cooldown(i'm assuming it still does)? Still trying to adapt to this UI,

Vamphuntr

I want to play the rest of the trial before putting my thoughts to paper, but I'm much more optimistic now. Performance is great too, at least for me. I have an i5-4690k, 8 gigs of Ram and a GTX 970 - and on Ultra settings [shadows on High] I get almost constant 60fps at 1400x900 resolution that I play at. That video card really is a gift that keeps on giving.

Also, the game is gorgeous at times. Really a looker, even if I can recognize some stock Bioware animations that don't really fit with the visuals.

People are like this here all the time. You weren't there for NMS? People were harassing and trying to spy on the actual location the studio was, harassed the team on twitter, made gifs of Murray and the game became a laughingstock. FFXVI was thrashed badly too here. People are way too involved in the game they've bought or don't want to buy.

My 970 hates this game. I had a i7-4790k and GTX970 and on Ultra it dropped well below @ 1080P. Got my 1070 yesterday and now it's locked @ 60 FPS.

I think it will be a great game that will be brought down by a rushed release. Before the marketing cycle started we only had the developers' word as to how the game would play and look like so people started to have crazy expectations. Considering the amount of jank and the cancellation of the MP beta/stress test I think it's obvious they know it's not in a perfect state but still had to do a trial because of EA's policy and do a marketing campaign while keeping the release in this fiscal year.

I do think some issues are overblown while others appear to be glossed over by different people.

I find it pretty sad that the MP is unplayable for me right now. Seems the matchmaking isn't very smart and simply match anyone together no matter the geographical region they are from so it leads to DC, lags and awful rubber banding while the game netcode struggle.

I'm not bothered by the weird animations much because in the game at the speed they are displayed you don't really have time to see what's wrong unless you know it beforehand. The only one that is unforgivable for me is the backward gun firing and I was disappointed to see it in my playthrough yesterday. Otherwise I don't think this is really a deal breaker, especially not for ME fans.

The weird "NPCs starts running for no reason" during a cutscene or gameplay is more jarring but it will be eventually patched out so not a big deal again. Haven't seen crazy pop ins in the PC version so far either, or at least not as bad so far.

Had to reload twice because of glitches so far though. First time on Habitat 7. When you go rescue one of the pathfinder in a cave I used pull on an enemy and it flew threw the ceiling but didn't die and it couldn't trigger the rescue cutscene because of it. Another time it happened on Eos where I got stuck between obstacles in the nomad and the different modes wouldn't help me and calling the tempest wasn't working either.

I don't think it's really fair to judge the characters and plot yet as you get to see very little. You have about one conversation with each party member available and major NPC.

I really enjoyed the backstories and lore so far, loved learning about the initiative and the construction of the nexus. Some of the NPCs are truly ugly as sin though. The guy selling stuff on the Nexus and the lady that is a witness to the murder sidequest both look a generation behind.

Environments both inside and outside are really, really great looking on Ultra settings. It's a major step up from the previous trilogy. Habitat 7 and Eos are really filled with little details from the flora, fauna and weather that makes them really stand out already.

Not enjoying how the map is filled with events and stuff to collect already. It actually cut the banter when your characters have to talk about seeing remnants or a kett camp. Really hate the 3 powers limit at a time and how you can't order your squad to use the power you want or change their equipment. They want crazy with the MC customization while you have only 3 skills at a time. The favorite system penalizes you with a global cooldown on every skills when you switch so it's not a very good solution in the heat of a battle when you have the wrong skills equipped.

With patching and tweaks it will probably be great eventually.

Still mad I let my friends convince me to get it on PS4 to play MP with them instead of PC. Maybe I should buy it again on PC down the line to see all the glorious environments.

Did anyone try out the Engineer class in both SP and MP? Usually my go to but haven't seen much on how it is.

I ended up using all-tech in SP. Assault Turret is sadly nerfed-ish, and the new tech drone isn't great, but the flexibility in setting up and priming combos is fantastic. Was using Shield Drain, Flamethrower, Overload towards the end. Overload is both a primer and a detonator, if you use it right. Flamethrower has silly damage, and Drain is a fantastic durability boost.

Madness

You're acting like this doesn't happen for a lot of games. Also, it isn't like people are lying about some of the things like game mechanics, shoddy UI, janky animations, redundancy in traversal etc. Of course it is amplified more since the game hasn't even released yet and people haven't played for themselves, but this is Mass Effect and a lot of people, from streamers who are giant fans, to reviewers who have a copy say this game feels like a misstep or even step backwards at times.

Not to say your thoughts aren't valid. I am sure I will have a good time with the story and MP but I would be lying if I wasn't disappointed myself seeing this. Especially after 5+ years of waiting.

UberLevi

Did anyone try out the Engineer class in both SP and MP? Usually my go to but haven't seen much on how it is.

Incinerate + Energy Drain was a lot of fun in singleplayer. One is good for armor while the other is good for shields.They also combo together for a fire detonation, which is pretty sweet since abilities have separate cooldowns now. Didn't get to try out the assault turret, though. I also only played Human Sentinel in MP, so I can't speak for it there, but tech powers in general feel pretty great, especially during a combo.

Jblanks

I ended up using all-tech in SP. Assault Turret is sadly nerfed-ish, and the new tech drone isn't great, but the flexibility in setting up and priming combos is fantastic. Was using Shield Drain, Flamethrower, Overload towards the end. Overload is both a primer and a detonator, if you use it right. Flamethrower has silly damage, and Drain is a fantastic durability boost.

Hmm thanks, might go a different route then. I was planning on using Overload and one of the Cryo/Flamethrower/Incinerate powers, but the drone/turret is a big part of that class.

Maybe it holds up in MP.

Hmm thanks, might go a different route then. I was planning on using Overload and one of the Cryo/Flamethrower/Incinerate powers, but the drone/turret is a big part of that class.

Maybe it holds up in MP.

Well, it's worth noting that the Drone is pretty dramatically different now. It's part of the Profile, rather than a power on its own. You can't send it out, it just sits over your shoulder and lets off an EMP when people get close (as well as reducing your tech cooldowns). So it's less involved, which is a strike against it, but still pretty good.

Turret... I dunno. After I put some points into it I'll try it again, but right now it's just too fragile for how much damage it puts out.

Incinerate + Energy Drain was a lot of fun in singleplayer. One is good for armor while the other is good for shields.They also combo together for a fire detonation, which is pretty sweet since abilities have separate cooldowns now. Didn't get to try out the assault turret, though. I also only played Human Sentinel in MP, so I can't speak for it there, but tech powers in general feel pretty great, especially during a combo.

I tried using Incinerate, but manual aiming killed it for me. Can't hit shit with that travel time, lol.

Jblanks

Well, it's worth noting that the Drone is pretty dramatically different now. It's part of the Profile, rather than a power on its own. You can't send it out, it just sits over your shoulder and lets off an EMP when people get close (as well as reducing your tech cooldowns). So it's less involved, which is a strike against it, but still pretty good.

Turret... I dunno. After I put some points into it I'll try it again, but right now it's just too fragile for how much damage it puts out.

I tried using Incinerate, but manual aiming killed it for me. Can't hit shit with that travel time, lol.
Interesting thanks. I'll probably start out Techish but the nice thing is I can always change it up.

B00TE

Have just enough time left on my trial to play some tomorrow. VPN on monday. Hnnnnnnng.

Loving the human vanguard kit in MP.

Nasbin

I wonder how much of this can be attributed to the ME3 controversy and some people being sore about DA:I and how much is just due to the fairly terrible marketing Andromeda has had. It feels like a lot of people just weren't all that hyped for the game and now they're pouncing when that feeling is seemingly vindicated.

The overall narrative might have turned out differently had EA, for example, bothered to show up at E3 with something more than a behind-the-scenes sizzle reel for the second year in a row to get people excited. People are more willing to look past minor flaws, even many of them, if they're genuinely enthused with their mental projection of a game.

Garlador

I wonder how much of this can be attributed to the ME3 controversy and some people being sore about DA:I and how much is just due to the fairly terrible marketing Andromeda has had. It feels like a lot of people just weren't all that hyped for the game and now they're pouncing when that feeling is seemingly vindicated.

The overall narrative might have turned out differently had EA, for example, bothered to show up at E3 with something more than a behind-the-scenes sizzle reel for the second year in a row to get people excited. People are more willing to look past minor flaws, even many of them, if they're genuinely enthused with their mental projection of a game.

I don't know. I was honest and open with my... hesitation... after years of waiting and just not seeing something that blew me away or grabbed me like all the previous games did. I was still very sure I was going to get the game, but I just kept waiting for that "there it is" moment. "Next trailer, for sure," I said at E3. "Okay, they said more is coming early next year," I told myself at the PSX. "Alright, so they'll open the doors wide in a month," I say to myself after the January stuff.

I had the Collector's Edition in my "save for later" folder on Amazon, but never quite managed to actually pre-order it, even though I pre-ordered all previous Collector's Editions.

And now... I haven't lost interest, but I'm simply going to wait. I still absolutely want to play the game, but I've seen enough rough patches and read enough impressions to know that the game is generally positive in reception, but not where I'd like it to be at launch (especially if more CC options are going to be patched in later).

I'll get the game eventually. I'm sure I'll love it. But I'm amazed how the anti-hype kicked in so hard to what was one of the safest buying bets for me. I'm someone who loved all previous games, even Mass Effect 3, and I'll defend the Extended Cut endings. Mass Effect is my second-favorite franchise, behind only Zelda. I loved the franchise so much I bought my best friend a 360 and the Trilogy just so she could play it and talk to me about it.

But Andromeda's marketing and demonstrations just... just didn't do it for me. It's like a date where I feel like the problem should be with me for being too picky and act apologetic towards my date, even if she's the one who left the bad first impression (especially after I've had three seriously awesome dates before her to compare her to).

I still love Mass Effect Trilogy. I'm replaying ME1 right now, in fact. But I'm holding off on Andromeda for the time being. I want the game to be successful. I want the franchise to be strong. I want it to grow. But I just can't justify the time and money for it right now knowing it's got some issues that I just can't look past.

Maybe later. But just not right now.

sagat2036

Its bioware, could be ppl still salty about DA2 or SWTOR. It all adds up. Remember shit mountain.

There is a problem, they been called out multiple occasions.

They know its not up to par.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

On some level I agree that even if people weren't 'actively' looking for it, for some ME fans who are/were burned by ME3. the combination of the less-than-stellar marketing (either because they knew about the animation issues or whatever other reason there could be) and the resultant 'not really upgraded since ME3' aspects outside of graphical fidelity is for sure leading to disappointment - for some, this is going further into anger - and for others, it's just a chance to spread around the schadenfreude.

Hm....I think that showing something like some of the multiplayer 'gifs' shown here as a sizzle reel would have done wonders, but at the same time, the 'knives' that Klepek is talking about were always going to come (in terms of singleplayer) out as soon as stuff didn't measure up to (perceived) expectations.

The lack of showing ANYTHING certainly didn't help address those fears, no, but take even the stuff like Sara's gun-swipe of the Turian. Bioware said they would fix that type of animation (and maybe they have, who knows), but this was a good while back.

Seeing that just 'primed' people to be looking out for other stuff to be critical of, which should (and probably was, in all honesty) a big warning sign for Bioware Montreal, but EA finally got tired of pushing things back when everything was technically 'playable'. (This is, admittedly, full supposition on my part)

To be completely honest, if the game does really, REALLY get better past Eos, they should have pushed the trial to let you do more in singleplayer. The stream embargo ending early is probably indicative of an 'oh shit' moment by EA execs, but it's kinda too late, now.

Their next attempt to change the conversation isn't going to come until Monday morning with the reviews.

There is a problem, they been called out multiple occasions.

They know its not up to par.

If you think any of this (besides obvious bugs like the T pose thing) are getting fixed before ME:A 2, you're much more optimistic than I am.

But Andromeda's marketing and demonstrations just... just didn't do it for me. It's like a date where I feel like the problem should be with me for being too picky and act apologetic towards my date, even if she's the one who left the bad first impression (especially after I've had three seriously awesome dates before her to compare her to).

I feel you, those were my exact thoughts and the thoughts from the ME subreddit, every year and every "well next year for sure I guess", and then the questionable marketing plan and more doubts.

And that's also why I played the trial, why I absolutely loved it, and why I'm 100% behind it like I was 2 years ago.
If you can, give it a try, I can't express how much relief and excitement it gave me !

I can't imagine spoiling stuff beyond the trial for myself. The trial was amazing because I hardly knew anything about the beginning of the game, so much so that I spent almost 8 of the 10 hours wanking around on the starter planet, Tempest, and the Nexus just exploring shit.

I can't imagine spoiling stuff beyond the trial for myself. The trial was amazing because I hardly knew anything about the beginning of the game, so much so that I spent almost 8 of the 10 hours wanking around on the starter planet, Tempest, and the Nexus just exploring shit.
I went into the trial mostly blind to things, but with the full release, I'll be completely blind to everything going in. It's an exciting prospect, to be able to explore the unknown for countless hours.

I went into the trial mostly blind to things, but with the full release, I'll be completely blind to everything going in. It's an exciting prospect, to be able to explore the unknown for countless hours.

I've watched the launch trailer like 30 times, I know things and places...

BouncyFrag

Other than the premise of waking up out of some hibernation sleep I know nothing about the game. What little I saw on the gaming side of gaf was enough to flee and stop in here before the game drops. While I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer I'll wait to late in the single player so as to not spoil enemy types.

Other than the premise of waking up out of some hibernation sleep I know nothing about the game. What little I saw on the gaming side of gaf was enough to flee and stop in here before the game drops. While I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer I'll wait to late in the single player so as to not spoil enemy types.

MP will spoil you on enemies and locations, definitely wait up on playing it if you haven't watched any trailers

CLBridges

Watched just a bit of MP on Twitch. Looks really good and the maneuverability of the toon he was using was nice. Jet packs, aerial shooting/power use, I'm so ready for Tuesday. Going all in on engineer for first playthrough.

Ooh I bet that chafed! (Sorry).

I certainly didn't speak to everyone or found every available location in the trial. Sure looks like there'll be plenty to do.

Top Bottom