• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok - 1987 Trailer

Ugh, they really should have left the video tape wear off and just went with scratchy faded film.

A little restraint can greatly improve efforts like this.

Also I would go with a synth soundtrack.

Sephzilla

I really appreciated the redone special effects but I think they went too hard on the tracking stuff. Still good though

There is no "Thor 2", you hacks.

tumblr_mpbpmmpDUm1r19x0ko1_250.gif

what? have you not seen any movie trailers from the 80s? this is exactly how it was done.

the only thing that comes close to this is the 1995 version of the Walking Dead opening credits

I'm partial to the 90's Game of Thrones myself. My brother, who hasn't watched an episode of GoT, said it REALLY made the show look dated and can't picture it as a good looking show haha. But this TWD vid is making think the same. The clothing, hairstyle and vehicle choice really make it seem dated now that I see this lol.

Good stuff. I don't believe trailers were that grainy, even back then though. That was more of a specific theater factor anyway.

Heh nice.

The worst thing about this trailer though, is that the actual movie's soundtrack is going to be nowhere near as good as what was presented here.

That's also a trope of the 1980's and 1990's. When music was allowed to still have themes. That being said I believe the Thor Ragnarok soundtrack / score will mostly feature "rock" styled music, so it's a bit different in that regard as well.

“Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit - all of these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided. It’s the sound of failure: so much modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar sound is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them.”

― Brian Eno, A Year With Swollen Appendices

Really well done. Only slight disappointment is the spaceships are a bit too sucky, but I suppose they weren't going to hire someone to make models and do them up all proper ILM-like.

God I realise this movie isn't even out yet and it's the hypest shit.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
What in the living fuck with all that tracking bullshit. I learned how to dial that in on our VCR when I was like 6 years old. Nobody would deal with that garbage even in the 80s.

Also this was cute but went on way too long.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm partial to the 90's Game of Thrones myself. My brother, who hasn't watched an episode of GoT, said it REALLY made the show look dated and can't picture it as a good looking show haha. But this TWD vid is making think the same. The clothing, hairstyle and vehicle choice really make it seem dated now that I see this lol.

Is it wrong that I want the show presented here instead of the one we have? Assuming it would be parts cheesy and tongue in cheek.

Is it wrong that I want the show presented here instead of the one we have? Assuming it would be parts cheesy and tongue in cheek.
Might I recommend Roar starring Heath Ledger from 97?

https://youtu.be/z-LQXBYyRWs

My wife got me into this show way back and I only got hooked because it reminded me of an earthbound, live action, human version of Thundercats lol.

But that GoT 95 vid reminds me of Roar whenever I watch it.

AWESOME!

I love the 80'ification of modern day content. But I think the actual Thor 3 main trailer did a fucking awesome at channeling that 80s chessyness.

Sort of related, have you guys seen TRONICBOX? It's a channel with modern day pop songs turned into 80s classics. It's surprisingly well done

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Not bad. Probably overkill on the VHS effect, but the special effects are great. Looked more early 80s late 70s than "1987" though

Chichikov

Yeah they went overboard a bit, especially with making the compositing and model work look way crappier than any theatrical film I saw from that era.
Compositing was pretty rough in the 80s.

6MLFsKr.png

And that's Temple of Doom, one of the better looking movies of the era that won an academy award for special effects. Movies with lower budget looked way worse than that.
For the record, I think Temple of Doom mostly hold fine in the visual departmental, but pretty much every compositing shot stand out like a sore thumb.

I think the VHS effects was a bit too much, but they probably did to hide the quality of their effects and editing.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The tracking completely ruined that trailer.

We get it, you are trying to be 80’s edgy with adding the VHS effects, but no trailer in the theater or original copy of a VHS movie would look like that.

Loved everything about it otherwise...

Thanks for proving the point. Nothing in that video looked even remotely the same and as consistently intrusive.

I think the fact that like 5 other people pointed out this should be enough to warrant its overuse.

The trailer is fantastic otherwise.
Lol I saw tracking in the beginning and forgot how much was used in the Thor vid and decided to share.

BUT, I have seen worse on retrojunk which I wish I thought to look up before posting a random YT vid.

Top Bottom