• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

Something about this whole situation and company just rubs me the wrong way. I requested a refund for my purchases through xsolla but they only agreed to refund one of my purchases because I played more than 2 hours. lol

I started a Paypal claim for the other purchase and I'm going to open a support ticket with the developers too. Both purchases are less than 30 days old and I only played this for 2 days for probably less than a combined 8 hours on both accounts.

I'll just wait for DayZ (standalone). Best of luck to the WarZ guys. They are going to need it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The more I hea about this from people who played DayZ, the more I hear it's nowhere near as good. I kind of want to start playing DayZ again now due to this.

JambiBum

Something about this whole situation and company just rubs me the wrong way. I requested a refund for my purchases through xsolla but they only agreed to refund one of my purchases because I played more than 2 hours. lol

I started a Paypal claim for the other purchase and I'm going to open a support ticket with the developers too. Both purchases are less than 30 days old and I only played this for 2 days for probably less than a combined 8 hours on both accounts.

I'll just wait for DayZ (standalone). Best of luck to the WarZ guys. They are going to need it.
I don't know why you asked for a refund. The ex mod actually came out today and said that he lied about the whole thing because he was demodded. His conscious got the better of him so he apologized and he was reinstated as a mod on a trial basis.

CryptiK

I don't know why you asked for a refund. The ex mod actually came out today and said that he lied about the whole thing because he was demodded. His conscious got the better of him so he apologized and he was reinstated as a mod on a trial basis.
So he takes everything he had said back saying he lied and now works for them again? Not fishy at all

JambiBum

So he takes everything he had said back saying he lied and now works for them again? Not fishy at all
He's not working for them. He's a volunteer mod like any mod on GAF. He is only going to be back if the community approves. If not then he's gone. I don't have a problem with that.

Apologies or not, it seems unprofessional to let someone manage your community that personally attacked you and your products. I was already on the fence and there were a number of reasons besides this incident but here are a few:

- This was a fairly unique idea and concept for a game which was stolen from the creator of DayZ. This sort of thing happens all the time in the real world and more power to them if they can take the idea and make it better. It still doesn't sit well with my conscious. I have to think about how I would feel if I had came up with DayZ, only to have some rag-tag outfit swipe it out from underneath me and try to steal my thunder. Choosing a title like 'WarZ' to capitalize on the popularity of DayZ is also in poor taste.

- Copy and paste TOS from League of Legends, stolen Crysis features with little modification, heavily used War Inc. assets and barely modified game engine reeks of poor development and work ethic.

- Sergey was largely responsible for Big Rigs, one of the worst games ever made. This does not instill confidence.

- The game is still missing many announced features and several will not make into the final product by the time this leaves beta.

- Cash shop

- Selling the game as an Alpha. This is becoming a common practice with independent developers and I recall reading that DayZ will have a similar release and payment model. I still don't like it.

- Some of Sergey's comments have been very unprofessional and he often comes off as immature and conceited.

- There is still a large amount of hacking and cheating going on and most of the community is shoot first and ask questions later. There are little repercussions for killing others.

I played the game for about two days and lost most desire to continue playing. The game showed some promise in the little time I spent with it, but ultimately I'm only going to have time for one zombie survival game, and I have decided that game will be DayZ. Those are the developers that deserve my money.

JambiBum

Apologies or not, it seems unprofessional to let someone manage your community that personally attacked you and your products. I was already on the fence and there were a number of reasons besides this incident but here are a few:

- This was a fairly unique idea and concept for a game which was stolen from the creator of DayZ. This sort of thing happens all the time in the real world and more power to them if they can take the idea and make it better. It still doesn't sit well with my conscious. I have to think about how I would feel if I had came up with DayZ, only to have some rag-tag outfit swipe it out from underneath me and try to steal my thunder. Choosing a title like 'WarZ' to capitalize on the popularity of DayZ is also in poor taste.

- Copy and paste TOS from League of Legends, stolen Crysis features with little modification, heavily used War Inc. assets and barely modified game engine reeks of poor development and work ethic.

- Sergey was largely responsible for Big Rigs, one of the worst games ever made. This does not instill confidence.

- The game is still missing many announced features and several will not make into the final product by the time this leaves beta.

- Cash shop

- Selling the game as an Alpha. This is becoming a common practice with independent developers and I recall reading that DayZ will have a similar release and payment model. I still don't like it.

- Some of Sergey's comments have been very unprofessional and he often comes off as immature and conceited.

- There is still a large amount of hacking and cheating going on and most of the community is shoot first and ask questions later. There are little repercussions for killing others.

I played the game for about two days and lost most desire to continue playing. The game showed some promise in the little time I spent with it, but ultimately I'm only going to have time for one zombie survival game, and I have decided that game will be DayZ. Those are the developers that deserve my money.
I'm only going to touch on a few points that you made because some of them are your opinion and you are entitled to that. While I agree with you in the fact that the title is in poor taste, it did come from their game War Inc, so I don't have that much issue with it. Game development has been about taking unique ideas and expanding upon them for a long time. If War Z ends up being a better version of Day Z then I have no problem with it.

I see no problem with reusing assets from their past game. Any company making a game that can use old assets will. It cuts down on development time and if something works for your new game why wouldn't you use it again?

Sergey does come off as immature but I think that has a lot to do with the language barrier. Sometimes his statements just come off as someone who is struggling to find the right words. I had no idea he had anything to do with Big Rigs. I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying this game though.

The cash shop isn't really all that useful. It doesn't offer any real advantages and you can earn the currency through in game actions. Plus they just reset everyone's GC that bought a package that gave you bonus GC. They also added extra on top of it as a thank you.

The Alpha thing I'm pretty sure comes from developers seeing the success of Minecraft and how that worked out. You can purchase it now and play through the Alpha and Beta instead of waiting for the full release or you can wait for the final product. No one really took issue with the way Minecraft did it so I don't see why someone else doing it should be a problem.

There isn't a large amount of hacking anymore. I've played for around 60 hours now and I've only ran into one hacker which happened to be early on. Once word got out that there was hacking (just like in Day Z mind you) people automatically assume that they've been killed by one if they don't see the guy who kills them. They are releasing the game on steam soon and giving steam keys to anyone who has already purchased the game. With steam comes the extra security measures.

The community for this game at the official forums is shit though. I realize that most official forums are horrible but the ones for this game seem especially bad. People seem way more entitled and impatient with it. It's an alpha/beta build right now and most people expect a flawless full release. The main problem is that when the developers say that they are hoping to release a feature within a certain time frame and it doesn't happen people go apeshit. That is the exact reason why other developers don't promise features by a certain date.

Day z has a better community right now because it isn't as easy to get into. I have a feeling that once they have the standalone release that the community will slowly turn to shit as well. At first this game had a lot more friendly players who worked together. Now they are few and far between.

I played Day z almost up to the point that this released. I wanted to see if this would be any better and so far it is. They both have their pros and cons but right now I'm sticking with this. If the standalone for Day Z happens to be better than War Z then I will switch back.

Friend and I found this to be much more enjoyable/easy if you actually start exploring at night. Too dangerous to wander around during the day, especially if you're alone and unarmed. At night, he found an M16 within 30 mins of playing, and I found an M4 about 30 mins after that. From there, we just took our time, being cautious, leap frogging, covering each other as we explored. I'd rather take my chances against someone giving away their position with a flashlight versus daylight. NVG have to be rare, too.

The thing that makes me wish I hadn't bought it first thing is the fact that they have no records of purchases before the alpha was released. They coincedently changed companies that day and 'lost' records.

Fuck. That.

Can you buy this game yet, or is it just in beta? I looked at the main site but couldn't find an answer, I see the pre purchase options but will that give me access?

DTKT

The thing that makes me wish I hadn't bought it first thing is the fact that they have no records of purchases before the alpha was released. They coincedently changed companies that day and 'lost' records.

Fuck. That.

Holy shit what.

That's slimy as fuck.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

Fuck. That.

When did this happen? They always had these devs from what I can recall, I have a couple of buddies who work there.

community mod has such information that can break the company easily?

Not buying it right now.

PS: Issuing chargeback on paypal anyways, because i'm really fed up of the bullshit altogether.

specially this:

The_War_Z_CBT03.jpg

Now all the prices have been reduced, lol.

So much for "regular" price.

I don't get what is so hard about making a proper server browser for this game. It takes too long to get the servers and then if you are kicked out of a game due to a timeout while joining, it kicks you right back to the character screen instead of just the browser.

elseanio

Is this out of Alpha/beta/whatever yet?

Just noticed it went up on steam today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/

edit*

err..

The War Z is a Survival Horror MMO that immerses players in a zombie-infested, post-apcalyptic world in which a viral outbreak has decimated the human population leaving in its wake, a nightmare of epic proportion.

A Huge Persistent World: The War Z is an open world game. Each world has areas between 100 to 400 square kilometers.
Explore, Scavenge, Kill, Survive: You are one of the few survivors and must navigate the desolate countryside exploring cities and scavenging for items.
Play with Friends: Hundreds of Servers to Play on and you can also rent and create Public or Private Servers allocating spots for Friends or Clans.
No Classes, No Levels, No Caps: Create your own survival campaign, gain experience points and spend it to learn dozen of available skills
Two modes of Play: Normal and Hardcore
Combination of First-Person and Third Person Perspectives
Meld of PVE(Player versus Environment) and PVP (Player versus Player)
Safe Settlements where Players can Purchase, Sell and Store items as well a post notes for other players
Up to 100 Players per Game Server
Dedicated Public Servers as well as Private Servers
Single Purchase, Downloadable Client with ability to play the full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions

Is any of that even in the game yet?

Slair

Man, the timing on this showing up on steam is a bit suspect. Rocket has been saying that the stand alone of DayZ could see a release before the years end and in turn the player base has been saying the same thing to people interested in getting into the mod. They already tried to capitalise on the DayZ hype, seems they may be trying to capitalise on the inevitable confusion of a similar named game showing up on steam around the time rocket was shooting for.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Man, the timing on this showing up on steam is a bit suspect. Rocket has been saying that the stand alone of DayZ could see a release before the years end and in turn the player base has been saying the same thing to people interested in getting into the mod. They already tried to capitalise on the DayZ hype, seems they may be trying to capitalise on the inevitable confusion.

As long as Rocket turns out a quality product all of this will work in his favor. If anything, WarZ is lowering the bar, not raising it.

DTKT

As long as Rocket turns out a quality product all of this will work in his favor. If anything, WarZ is lowering the bar, not raising it.

Not when people are paying 15$ for a product. I can see people buying this, playing it and thinking it's made by Rocket and his team.

This is really messed up and I kind of wished Valve wouldn't have allowed the game on Steam. Even more so when it's still a beta and being advertised as a finished product.

Please don't give that team one cent. It's shady as fuck.

Dmax3901

The amount of fiddling and just general effort involved in getting into DayZ in the first place means you have to have some intelligence, which means that most people (I hope) will be smart enough to know which one is Rocket's game.

I hope.

Portugeezer

The amount of fiddling and just general effort involved in getting into DayZ in the first place means you have to have some intelligence, which means that most people (I hope) will be smart enough to know which one is Rocket's game.

I hope.

You mean fiddling to get the game running (Arma 2 mod, etc) or fiddling with the gameplay? Because to buy the game people could be waiting for Day Z standalone, see War Z, maybe get confused and think it's the standalone Day Z.

Also so much False advertising. I feel to buy the game just to claim my money back, fucking devs taking the piss.

Dmax3901

You mean fiddling to get the game running (Arma 2 mod, etc) or fiddling with the gameplay? Because to buy the game people could be waiting for Day Z standalone, see War Z, maybe get confused and think it's the standalone Day Z.

Also so much False advertising. I feel to buy the game just to claim my money back, fucking devs taking the piss.

To get it running and to play it despite all it's bugs and unforgiving gameplay. Surely those people would know, or be a simple google search away from knowing, that it's not Rocket's game.

Would that many people just buy WarZ without thinking?

DTKT

To get it running and to play it despite all it's bugs and unforgiving gameplay. Surely those people would know, or be a simple google search away from knowing, that it's not Rocket's game.

Would that many people just buy WarZ without thinking?

If I wasn't on Neogaf, I probably would.

Keep in mind that Neogaf is a very small sub-section of a gaming community. I assume that most of us are "aware" enough to understand the difference between WarZ and DayZ. But to someone who doesn't crawl the internet for stuff, these two look mighty similar.

I'm really sad that it has come down to this. Rocket should have taken a more active stance on the matter. Either by going after the WarZ team directly, or by putting up a pre-order on Steam and all the other DD services. DayZ is losing potential sales with every single copy of WarZ bought. Plus, those copies are supporting one of the shadiest dev team I've ever seen.

Dmax3901

If I wasn't on Neogaf, I probably would.

Keep in mind that Neogaf is a very small sub-section of a gaming community. I assume that most of us are "aware" enough to understand the difference between WarZ and DayZ. But to someone who doesn't crawl the internet for stuff, these two look mighty similar.

I'm really sad that it has come down to this. Rocket should have taken a more active stance on the matter. Either by going after the WarZ team directly, or by putting up a pre-order on Steam and all the other DD services. DayZ is losing potential sales with every single copy of WarZ bought. Plus, those copies are supporting one of the shadiest dev team I've ever seen.

You make good points, perhaps I'm giving the plebs too much credit. I really am looking forward to standalone though, hopefully Rocket will respond to WarZ being put up in the next few days.

Top Bottom