• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

Wanted to stream tonight but I'm waiting for some of the server issues to subside.. Now that the NDA is up it seems like a lot more people are finding out about the game and jumping in.

Loving the atmosphere but everyone in this game is a jerk. lol

I can never find any weapons and the one time I managed to come across a hammer, someone shot me in the back shortly after. They don't even bother to loot my corpse half the time, they just want to kill me for sport.

JambiBum

Loving the atmosphere but everyone in this game is a jerk. lol

I can never find any weapons and the one time I managed to come across a hammer, someone shot me in the back shortly after. They don't even bother to loot my corpse half the time, they just want to kill me for sport.
What my friend and I do is shoot on sight if someone has a gun. If not then we let them go on their way.

What my friend and I do is shoot on sight if someone has a gun. If not then we let them go on their way.

I didn't have any weapons or items really and people killed me anyway. I did pretty decent this time. I got a shotgun, a leather boonie hat, and some other items. I made my way into a small town and camped out in a building before logging out.

JambiBum

I didn't have any weapons or items really and people killed me anyway. I did pretty decent this time. I got a shotgun, a leather boonie hat, and some other items. I made my way into a small town and camped out in a building before logging out.
We tried giving people with guns the benefit of the doubt but it turned out to not work in our favor most of the time so now we don't take chances. Earlier tonight we were in Clearview and heard a lot of shotgun shots. We saw a guy that we thought was the shooter go into a store but he only had a hammer. As my friend went to go check him out I looked around the wall next to me and saw a guy with a pistol and a shotgun on top of a car trying to avoid zombies. I started shooting him and he ran away with the zombies chasing him. My friend came back over and we killed him. He asked us why we killed him in the chat and I told him my rule. He said that he didn't have any ammo but if he would have he would have shot us on sight. He ended up having body armor and quite a few rare guns. The guy with the hammer ended up coming near us to find out what happened because of the gun fire. We let him live because he wasn't a threat. There's no point to killing people who don't have a gun other than to be a dick. People who carry them out in the open are fair game however.

We tried giving people with guns the benefit of the doubt but it turned out to not work in our favor most of the time so now we don't take chances. Earlier tonight we were in Clearview and heard a lot of shotgun shots. We saw a guy that we thought was the shooter go into a store but he only had a hammer. As my friend went to go check him out I looked around the wall next to me and saw a guy with a pistol and a shotgun on top of a car trying to avoid zombies. I started shooting him and he ran away with the zombies chasing him. My friend came back over and we killed him. He asked us why we killed him in the chat and I told him my rule. He said that he didn't have any ammo but if he would have he would have shot us on sight. He ended up having body armor and quite a few rare guns. The guy with the hammer ended up coming near us to find out what happened because of the gun fire. We let him live because he wasn't a threat. There's no point to killing people who don't have a gun other than to be a dick. People who carry them out in the open are fair game however.

i let a guy with a flashlight live. He tried to sneak up to me constantly. Ended up shooting him.

DTKT

Jesus christ, people are more trigger happy here than in DayZ.

I've been shot in my past 3 characters. Really frustrating.

Nekrono

I'm interested in trying out the game as well, maybe someone can hook me up with a guest pass.

Dayz's idea has always caught my attention and thought it was pretty awesome but never got around buying a game for a mod that I knew there was a possibility that I might not end up playing much. That's why I'm really interested in WarZ, from what I can tell they share the same concept but they're very different.

Also WarZ looks prettier so that's a plus for me lol, anyways hopefully someone can hook me up!

Was looting a grocery store. A guy runs in with a hammer. I shoot on sight, shotgun has terrible range. Hit him twice doesn't go down, he turns around and runs. I let him go. Boogie out of the town. I don't want to kill people, and I won't go out of my way to kill, but I will defend if I feel threatened. It's not DayZ good, but this is fun.

I can do the same trade if anyone want :p,Also saw few streams,how does this safezones work?
Safe zones just have a shot ton if buildings on stilts with nothing in them. You can't fire your weapon and are safe from attacks. What you can do is quit and exit the game and then select your character and then their inventory and put it in a universal bank so that if some of your others characters can get to a safe zone they can use whatever items you've put in your bank. I think it's dumb you have to quit to menu to do that, but it is a nice feature on the sense of having a bank.

i wouldnt use guest passes now... because hackers are rampant.

noclippers, aimbotters, radar, speedhacks, superjumps.

Yeah... great job. that sure took a lot of time.

I've not noticed this at all. Granted doesn't mean it isn't happening but it's yet to affect me.

When me and a couple of GAF where running the DayZ server we ran into hackers all the time. People were getting nuked left and right.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

So hackers and trigger happy people...same things that ruined DayZ

Is their any possible solution for this? (and can DayZ the stand alone avoid this fate?)

So hackers and trigger happy people...same things that ruined DayZ

Is their any possible solution for this? (and can DayZ the stand alone avoid this fate?)

Well,t heir first measure was to lock the thread about how they knew how to stop hackers now that the outbreak happened.

Second, the outbreak is probably happening on guest passes, so it will fade out eventually as an "OUTBREAK".

Third, I guess they'll be able to patch most of them.

Otherwise the game will be DOA (of the beta version that will launch of Nov 30th).

Yes, it is really bad. I was killed by a noclipper. I was chasing him and eventually heard his walking inside a non-enterable building. He pops out behind me, shoots me, and i see him noclipping inside the building again. Cool stuff, not.

This is why the game will fail with the cash shop of items you lose when dying.

ZenVolta

There will always be hacks/hackers. Nothings going to change that. The only thing we can hope for is how the Devs crack down on this.

Really I see as simple as going to the website listed. Buying the hacks and looking to see what makes them work and patching those holes.

Im sure we will hear more about what they are doing to keep the game clean soon.

There will always be hacks/hackers. Nothings going to change that. The only thing we can hope for is how the Devs crack down on this.

Really I see as simple as going to the website listed. Buying the hacks and looking to see what makes them work and patching those holes.

Im sure we will hear more about what they are doing to keep the game clean soon.

I don't think many are expecting to be 100% hack free, but when someone can just post a youtube vid of blatant hacking which requires but a few clicks of the mouse at most, that's where I draw the line. It doesn't have to be Fort Knox secure, just more secure than it is now, especially in a game whose primary hook is the permanence of death and loot collecting.

I don't think many are expecting to be 100% hack free, but when someone can just post a youtube vid of blatant hacking which requires but a few clicks of the mouse at most, that's where I draw the line. It doesn't have to be Fort Knox secure, just more secure than it is now, especially in a game whose primary hook is the permanence of death and loot collecting.
specially when one can buy items with real life money, and lose them instantly to a hacker. This is not going to end well.

Either way, the character wipe will be on Nov 30th when alpha ends, so pioneer and legendary people shouldnt worry about spending their GC, as it will come back.

JambiBum

Last night I was streaming so some friends could watch and I ran across my first hacker. I was in the big red building in Campos and heard gun fire and footsteps from what I thought was above me. I slowly started to move into a side room and heard more gunfire. All of a sudden I died with no one around me. I instantly knew what it was from. Luckily I was playing on an extra character and didn't lose my good items. As it's still in alpha and they have said multiple times that they are working to combat the hackers I don't mind so much. Now if it gets to full release and the hackers are still rampant and not few and far between I'll have a problem with it.

Last night I was streaming so some friends could watch and I ran across my first hacker. I was in the big red building in Campos and heard gun fire and footsteps from what I thought was above me. I slowly started to move into a side room and heard more gunfire. All of a sudden I died with no one around me. I instantly knew what it was from. Luckily I was playing on an extra character and didn't lose my good items. As it's still in alpha and they have said multiple times that they are working to combat the hackers I don't mind so much. Now if it gets to full release and the hackers are still rampant and not few and far between I'll have a problem with it.

Probably people are using guest passes. But it'd be fun if they ban the account that gave away the guest keys. Don't get me wrong, it'd be bad for PR, but fun as in... you gotta know who you allow in. Either way, obviously if a guest key and the player that gave it away are related by IP, instaban to the full account. No excuses.

I'd like to think that the hacking rampage comes from the fact of being able to use the guest serials right now.

Noclip abusers may be fixed easily, creating some sort of disconnect traps when you are below the ground or inside buildings you shouldnt be.

Invisible hack may be fixed easily.

Clientside hacks though... are something else. They need to be detected by the system to be countered with a sledgehammerban.

I think they'll probably add the playername when you're killed to be able to log their activity.

KKRT00

Probably people are using guest passes. But it'd be fun if they ban the account that gave away the guest keys. Don't get me wrong, it'd be bad for PR, but fun as in... you gotta know who you allow in. Either way, obviously if a guest key and the player that gave it away are related by IP, instaban to the full account. No excuses.

I'd like to think that the hacking rampage comes from the fact of being able to use the guest serials right now.

Noclip abusers may be fixed easily, creating some sort of disconnect traps when you are below the ground or inside buildings you shouldnt be.

Invisible hack may be fixed easily.

Clientside hacks though... are something else. They need to be detected by the system to be countered with a sledgehammerban.

I think they'll probably add the playername when you're killed to be able to log their activity.

There is no way that this hack doesnt use some sort of engine functionality to give them noclip or location of all items. They need to erase all admin commands and code from client and server builds. About aim hack and tracking skeleton on chars it still seems unlikely that it based what is visible to the client so they get those data from client or server memory.

JambiBum

I think the best part of that video posted above is the guy's responses to some of the comments about how he is ruining the game. He says that he is hacking the game because it is a bad game and he hacks it to have fun. He doesn't care about other players because it's a shit game and he wants to have his own fun. The only real bad part about the game right now is the fact that people like him exist. If they fix most of the bugs and open up the map I would be perfectly fine with the game as it is now. Without the hacks.

There is no way that this hack doesnt use some sort of engine functionality to give them noclip or location of all items. They need to erase all admin commands and code from client and server builds. About aim hack and tracking skeleton on chars it still seems unlikely that it based what is visible to the client so they get those data from client or server memory.

Sorry, what I meant to say with clientside, I mean hacks that affect the CLIENT side. as in, displaying something for your client and only your client. Those must be spotted by the anticheat.

Hacks like noclip, speedhack, superjump and invisible can be countered by validation as it's something that broadcasts to everyone.

Nekrono

Hey guys I have a copy of Dead Space or L.A. Noire I'm willing to trade for a guest pass through Steam if anyone wants.

Is this game still in alpha? Everyone keeps calling it alpha but I thought this was supposed to be in closed beta starting October 31st?

There was a lot of bugs and issues, so I think they moved it to the end of November I think.

PS - Starting to get a feel for the game.

I dont die so fast anymore. Learning to find weapons and dealing better with zombies and people.

Really liking the game, just wished they had some vehicle to make us move around the map faster :p

That makes sense. I'm glad they're not rushing it out the door and are taking their time to work on things then. Time to go rename all my videos since I've been streaming under the premise of "beta gameplay". lol

Top Bottom