• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

dubq

So in all honesty, Is this game really worth purchasing and trying?

I enjoyed the IDEA of Day Z, but i felt like the clunkyness of the Arma 2 UI held it back.
That E button was almost worn out of the would be attempts to pick something up.

Thank you,

Alphaness aside, I think it's worth it. If you're on the fence, I'd wait until an official launch, though. I mean, if bugs are something that would make you regret your purchase, then the Alpha and Beta phases are not the best time to start playing.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
So in all honesty, Is this game really worth purchasing and trying?

I enjoyed the IDEA of Day Z, but i felt like the clunkyness of the Arma 2 UI held it back.
That E button was almost worn out of the would be attempts to pick something up.

Thank you,

Wait until the official launch.

The UI is a lot better, but it's still really clunky in its own ways. (Lots of features yet to be implemented, needs a lot of polish.) Like dubq says though, the rate of updates is pretty impressive,
and I think whereas DayZ will ultimately be a better sim, WarZ will be a better game; provided that it continues its current direction.

gutabo

It's easy to understand a gutabo post once you figure out the formula.

Add 1 part complaining about something taken from Day Z.

Add 2 to 3 parts (to taste) repeating eons old information about this using War Inc assets or the LoL TOS fuck up or using a weapon mod system like the one featured in Crysis.

Season with a back-peddling comment about how he hopes the game turns out great - because if everyone starts loving it, he will need to change his tune.

Add a final dash of "Streams anyone?"

Bake at 350F on your ignore list until the end of time. Enjoy!

LMAO! I was having a shitty day, thanks for making me laugh.

I can give Zen the benefit of the doubt because I think there's someone that I can talk to and I kinda know him(and his vehicle antics) from the DayZ thread. I can see someone I can reason with, even if we disagree. You, on the other hand? LMAO.

dubq

Wait until the official launch.

The UI is a lot better, but it's still really clunky in its own ways. (Lots of features yet to be implemented, needs a lot of polish.) Like dubq says though, the rate of updates is pretty impressive,
and I think whereas DayZ will ultimately be a better sim, WarZ will be a better game; provided that it continues its current direction.
I agree. There's room for both, IMO, and I'm just glad I get to play them! Two similar zombie mmo's is better than none!

This game can be so disheartening.

Playing yesterday and I take a long trek north and find a large backpack and eventually find 2 shotguns..I hardly ever find guns. So of course I want to fill up the backpack, find a bunch of stuff only to die to a bunch of zombies...Losing it all..olol..

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
Such is the way of games like this.

By the way, they are wiping all inventories soon!

Fixed a bunch of exploits and rebalanced loot tables, so they gotta wipe everything and see if the new stuff works.

By the way, they are wiping all inventories soon!Fixed a bunch of exploits and rebalanced loot tables, so they gotta wipe everything and see if the new stuff works.

TYVM for letting us know. Now I don't feel so bad. time to start wearing all the masks I've been hording and time to bust out the sniper rifle.....Also when you say "soon", how soon are they suggesting????

One thing can't be denied about this game..The development team appears to listen to feedback and they keep you updated...Daily patch fixes and reports of what they are doing...I can't complain about that....

On a different note: Is there any direct word on what the talent trees will have in them? Extra health and a bigger backpack will be nice..lol..Sick of dying after 3 zombie hits.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
TYVM for letting us know. Now I don't feel so bad. time to start wearing all the masks I've been hording and time to bust out the sniper rifle.....Also when you say "soon", how soon are they suggesting????

One thing can't be denied about this game..The development team appears to listen to feedback and they keep you updated...Daily patch fixes and reports of what they are doing...I can't complain about that....

On a different note: Is there any direct word on what the talent trees will have in them? Extra health and a bigger backpack will be nice..lol..Sick of dying after 3 zombie hits.

No time table for it yet, just that if/when they do a wipe, your GC will be restored, and characters won't be deleted, but will have rep/time/items wiped.

About the talent trees, specifics haven't been mentioned, although they apparently contain upgrades like increased carrying weight (bigger backpacks are simply found), longer sprinting, weapon training, etc.

dubq

Game Update coming next week - via the official forums. This wasn't in the Alpha folder so I assume it's public and okay to post elsewhere. http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?47216-Upcoming-content-unlock-update

New map areas
We're going to unlock around 30-40% more of the map space, adding new places to explore - including largest city on the map, jumbo cargo plane crash site and other interesting areas. More spawn points for players, more loot spawns as well. Those who felt a little bit claustrophobic on the map will find this update to be like a fresh air - lots of open spaces, grass fields, etc.

New zombie characters
Yes, we're getting more zombies, and we also add new zombie types - I think 4-5 of them, including "special zombies" - so mutated zombie hunt season will be officially open

New player characters
We have 4 more characters for you. Two guys, two girls. Each have around 4 different skins

Clans
Clans will be unlocked few days after October 31st. You'll be able to create clan, join clan, contribute to Clan Bank or reward your Clan Members from it. You also will be able to see if there're any clan members around you in the world, as well as have their names highlighted on the Players list screen.

More items
More items, especially "building blocks" like barricades, brick walls, etc. Couple cool silenced "improvised" weapons.

There'll be also tons of bug fixes, some performance optimizations, etc...

By the way, they are wiping all inventories soon!

Fixed a bunch of exploits and rebalanced loot tables, so they gotta wipe everything and see if the new stuff works.

You mean all inventory (including global) or just character inventory?

I finally have a couple of sniper rifles :_:

Game Update coming next week - via the official forums. This wasn't in the Alpha folder so I assume it's public and okay to post elsewhere. http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?47216-Upcoming-content-unlock-update

Awesome. Really like it! Thanks for the info!

Like I was saying before, I got a couple of sniper rifles cause I managed to kill some bandits!!!!! Woo Hoo!

Mostly luck though, lol.

I was exploring different areas of the map and found them hiding, specially on hills overlooking cities.

KILLED THEM ALL WITH MY MIGHTY MJOLNIR!!!! XD

Kirbychwan

Neo Member

Yes, we're getting more zombies, and we also add new zombie types - I think 4-5 of them, including "special zombies" - so mutated zombie hunt season will be officially open

Holy shit, L4D-style special infected in a DayZ-style game would be nuts. I hope that's the type they're going for.

You mean all inventory (including global) or just character inventory?

I finally have a couple of sniper rifles :_:

If they're doing it, it would have to be global. That's where everyone's been stashing their exploited sniper rifles.

KKRT00

Holy shit, L4D-style special infected in a DayZ-style game would be nuts. I hope that's the type they're going for.

They've talked about it long time ago in interviews that special zombies will be much harder to kill, much faster and aggressive, but they will have cells that allow You to build cure for zombie disease and this will serve as medicine, and high end currency.

dubq

More news from their Facebook and Forums - http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?47957-State-of-The-War-Z-numbers-features-etc

State of The War Z - numbers, features, etc
It's friday and I think this is time for some update.

First of all let me give you some numbers :

- We have passed 200,000 survivors, with over 130,000 being playing game so far in last two weeks.
- Over 75,000 are playing game daily.
- On average over 10,000 survivors are playing game at any given time.
- We've deployed over 600 server instances, and at the moment we've completely solved problem getting into the game - most time it's instant, and also most of the time except "busy hours" you can join server you like thru server browesr since we've distributed load across all servers.

We're preparing relative large "Halloween" update, including new map areas unlocks, new zombie types, new playable characters, clans, etc, etc.

Next I want to go over some problems raised by Community :

1) Spawn Camping. Was a huge deal for us, as well as most of the community. I'm glad to tell you that after some changes to spawn mechanics we've introduced in past days, number of spawn kills ( ie player being killed in a relative proximity of his spawn point ) went down SEVEN times. This is good first step and I'm sure a we're unlocking more map areas, it will stop being and issue at all.

2) PKers. As I've said numerous times, PVP itself as well as whole existence of bandits is an natural part of the gameplay. Yet there wasn't many mechanics in place yet to actually make it worthy for players to try to cooperate instead of shooting on sight. Most of thiose mechanics, as well as excessive PK deterrant ( msot wanted board, bounty hunting missings, etc ) are coming on later stages of alpha ( ie - SOON ), but they're not here yet. This is why we may have PVP at somewhat unhealthy levels right now. Yet - I think it's actually pretty cool even now, when you kinds in a constant state of paranoia and not trusting anyone except your friends. Which brings us to next topic :

3) Clans And Friends. We've tested clans and ready put them in. We're at final stages testing Friends feature with 20,000 players under NDA, as long we're satisfied with stability of Friends notifications and "play with friends" mechanism - we'll turn it on for rest of the player base.

Sergey Titov
Executive Producer
The War Z

ZenVolta

Twitch admins. I guess he needs approved by the head of admins lol. He has Admins chilling in his chat. I bet the Admins are wating to hear back from the WarZ guys or something to make sure its legit

Edit: Hes playing

Got this last night.

My first guy was killed within 20 minutes. He was around the outskirts of a town looking for a good opportunity to check out some buildings when someone snuck up behind me with a shotgun and killed me.

Started up a new guy. Was able to avoid zombies enough to get into a supermarket where I found a shotgun. After that I accidentally got the attention of some zombies, used up all my ammo, cornered my self and was killed.

Today I continued with my second guy. Went exploring away from the big cities where I came across a military checkpoint. Lured the zombies away from there and found an M16. This allowed me to search a nearby small town. Cleared out some zombies blocking a market. Found a shotgun and some desperately needed rations. Oh, and a cool hockey-type mask. Decided to quit there and continue later tonight. Now that i'm fairly well equiped I should be able to search a little more freely.

So far i'm enjoying it a lot. It can take a while to find enough equipment to survive, and even then you need to keep searching for rations. Too afraid to search out any other people. We'll see what happens tonight when I log back on.

JambiBum

Played a lot tonight to get a feel for it before my friends can join on the 31st. I like it better than Day Z mostly because it's a game built around the concept and not a mod thrown into another game. It's obviously an alpha though as I've already noticed a few glitches with some zombies. Mostly where the zombies can get stuck in terrain and become invincible, or they don't move at all and no matter how many times you hit them they don't die. They won't attack you either though.

My first couple of characters didn't go over well but my latest one is doing pretty well. I got kind of lucky thanks to a zombie glitch though. This guy was getting chased by one zombie and decided to use his hammer to try to kill it. He climbed a trash pile and turned to fight it except he didn't notice the zombie got stuck and wouldn't die. The zombie killed him and he lost all of his shit. I crouched behind the zombie and took everything that he dropped lol.

dubq

I've been playing on the less-populated European servers lately, and I have to say it's a lot more fun with about 7 or 8 people in the game world at a time. A lot less PKers from my experience, too.

It's a shame they are wiping the GI as I've amassed a pretty nice stockpile of food/drink and.... hats! LOL I keep finding hats almost every time I start up a game session.

JambiBum

I've been playing on the less-populated European servers lately, and I have to say it's a lot more fun with about 7 or 8 people in the game world at a time. A lot less PKers from my experience, too.

It's a shame they are wiping the GI as I've amassed a pretty nice stockpile of food/drink and.... hats! LOL I keep finding hats almost every time I start up a game session.

Are they actually wiping it? I've only heard rumors about it.

luffeN

Damn, didn't know that you still have to get approved / that the beta is not allowed to be streamed and got banned on Twitch xD

Wait, do I need the email of the person that gave it to me in order to use it? That's fucking DUMB.

I have no idea but I wouldn't think so. Is that what it's telling you? I received 3 keys with my purchase. Not aware I need to give people my email along with those keys. If so that's lame.

Edit: this is what the email I received says.

2. Install Game client on your computer
3. Run game client and when prompted to create game account enter your serial number. If you already have expired Beta account, login to your account and enter serial number when prompted.

Sounds like you just create and use your own account.

JambiBum

Yeah you have to give out the email address because the keys are tied to it. Released the patch that opened up the map about an hour ago.

I wish I was recording my adventure today. It was amazing and full of murder.

My friend and I were near Clearview when we found some people without weapons. We let them join us because we were loaded and could protect them. Two of them found weapons and the third died by a zombie. I have left the town and went into the woods. The entire time staying behind them so that they couldn't kill us. My partner eventually got tired of them so we counted to three and murdered them at the same time and went on our way.

Later we were in another town and I found three more guys. My friend was in the tree line keeping watch as I explored with them. We found another guy and he helped us out. One of the guys died in a zombie fight while we were checking out a barn. My friend decided to start making the other people worry by taking random shots at them. There was only one guy who was a threat so while we were running I would stand near him to point him out to my friend. He took another shot and the guy went prone. I stood right behind him to point out his location and my friend shot him in the head. The other guy ran toward me and when he was close enough I bashed his head in with a hammer. Another guy came out of nowhere to see what was going on so I told him that my friends were murdered. As we were talking my friend came up behind him and smashed his skull in with a hammer.

I have more stories from tonight but I will have to type them up later.

Can't wait to try this out over the weekend. My pass is only good for 48 hours so I'm going to wait until Friday so I can maximize my time. Were there any major updates or changes from the latest alpha to the beta?

JambiBum

Can't wait to try this out over the weekend. My pass is only good for 48 hours so I'm going to wait until Friday so I can maximize my time. Were there any major updates or changes from the latest alpha to the beta?
Patch notes from yesterday. I'm not sure if it is officially in beta yet though.

Map size increased
New Zombies!
Special Halloween Zombies
New Halloween helmet in the marketplace.
Zombie attack distance reduced slightly
Zombie damage reduced
Increased the pick up range for items to fix an issue with items on top shelves
Fixed bug with showing undefined in options when switching to custom settings.
Melee detection radius lowered.
Text now informs you if you were killed by a Zombie or Player.
Fixed zombie ragdoll affects.
Optimized grass on low quality settings

dubq

Are they actually wiping it? I've only heard rumors about it.

I dunno, I'm going by the same rumors. I could've sworn when this first came out they said that you'd be able to carry over all your equipment/inventory from Alpha to Beta to Official Release.. I think the GI wipe thing came out of people spawn camping and stockpiling stuff from spawn kills. They haven't done yet, though, so..

pelican

If anyone has a spare key and willing to donate it as I would like to check this out:D

PM me if ur able to help.

thx guys

Honestly, I think they should just wipe everything before launch. Alphas and betas are for testing, not for playing early and hording items and gear to give you an advantage.

Sykane

Just saw on their facebook page that the posting of videos/pictures/streaming is now allowed, anyone got links to any good streams? Or care to share their own experiences? Been thinking about picking this up for awhile now...

JambiBum

Friend and I were just in a pretty intense shootout at the airfield. We saw them approaching so we took cover behind a fire truck. No one shot for a few minutes and then one of them shot at us so we returned fire. At first we thought that there were only 2 but then we spotted a third so we retreated to the radio tower. Climbed the tower to get a better vantage point. Shot a few of them with my pistol a couple of times but they kept taking cover to heal. Right as I was in the middle of exchanging fire with someone the servers shut down :(.

ZenVolta

I love how everyone and their brother is live-streaming WarZ now. Maybe the Hate is dying down? IMO its better for gaming as a whole.

Also GOT DAYYM did they speed up zombies. Feels like sprint needs a buff now lol.

Until they implement some reason not to kill other players and I stop getting killed by nearly any other human player I encounter, I'm definitely going the route of shooting on sight. I just don't care any more. I try to give other players the benefit of the doubt and live and let live, but that doesn't seem to be working out so well.

JambiBum

I love how everyone and their brother is live-streaming WarZ now. Maybe the Hate is dying down? IMO its better for gaming as a whole.

Also GOT DAYYM did they speed up zombies. Feels like sprint needs a buff now lol.
There really wasn't a whole lot of hate. More of the feeling that they just blatantly ripped off day z. Which is perfectly understandable at first. Then you actually play the game and realize that besides the zombie survival aspect they don't really have a lot in common.

Also I would really love to stream but for some reason I can't get x split to recognize the game even though it recognizes the launcher just fine

luffeN

There really wasn't a whole lot of hate. More of the feeling that they just blatantly ripped off day z. Which is perfectly understandable at first. Then you actually play the game and realize that besides the zombie survival aspect they don't really have a lot in common.

Also I would really love to stream but for some reason I can't get x split to recognize the game even though it recognizes the launcher just fine

You can do screen region streaming and play the game in fullscreen and it will work (at least it does for me).

ZenVolta

Im going to miss my pumpkin hat ='(

The half flooded city is siiiiiick. I need to log in with my character that I left outside of the map and see where he is now.

Edit: Im still getting server issues. Whats up with people DDosing the games I play >=C

JambiBum

You can do screen region streaming and play the game in fullscreen and it will work (at least it does for me).
So just do the screen selection option and then run the game like normal and it should work? I'll give it a try later.

Also they gave a news update about the end of alpha and when the wipe will happen. Alpha ends on the 30th and that is also when the wipe will occur. After the wipe both regular and stronghold servers will be available to rent. Skill tree, server hopping, server sorting, and new characters and animations are currently being set to the same time table.

Top Bottom