• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

ZenVolta

Found a nice little map of loot spawns on the wiki. Seems like it was added but never put on a page.
IngameMap2.png

Get ready for PVP if you get anywhere near that Helicopter.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
Hope they begin balancing the loot spawn tables soon; apparently there's a spot with a 100% chance of spawning a military sniper rifle.

Get ready for PVP if you get anywhere near that Helicopter.

I can vouch for this..

legacyzero

Banned
For your sacrafice, i'll reimburse you with that other game
UGGH I feel like I cheated on my wife or something LOL.

And I need that OTHER game to hurry up and release already =/

Maybe i just need to give this more time. I wish I could give more impressions, but I shant, lest I be tagged appropriately.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
I'd recommend anyone on the fence to wait until beta, unless you're a big DayZ fan. Gonna take time for them to work through the issues,
but they're doing it at a pretty good rate. Honestly, I think it'll already be preferable to DayZ by the 31st.

FGMPR

Banned
WAT.

That makes no sense? unless they intend for it not to be like that, and they havn't done it yet.

I think DayZ needs safe zones, honestly. Like one of the middle towns should be no combat and Zombie Free. Mainly for stuff like buying stuff, etc. It's the only logical use for in game currency IMO.

I like the idea of that, but I don't think it should be a case of not being able to attack people in town, I think it should be more like Ultima Online where if you pull any shit in town then some AI guards (or police) will fuck you up (there could maybe be a hotkey for shouting for the police or something). It should also be possible, though extremely difficult to take over the town with enough men and firepower. I think that could work and still provide a pretty safe place to trade in a makeshift market or whatever.

Raxious

I just went and bought the Legendary edition, now let's hope it's a good game. From what I've heard from a couple of ppl who I know that play it, they say it's a game u gotta play with someone, and not play it solo.

timkunedo

really impressed with the quickness of the devs to respond to the community and fix bugs. I'm having tons of fun with the game. Game is so immersive!! Can't wait to unlock more of the map.

ZenVolta

Looks like they are talking about how to keep PKers under control. Personally I think as they open the map people wont all being going for the same loot spawns all the time and that will really help in making it less PVP nonstop.

legacyzero

Banned
LegacyZero, I have my finger on the buy key. What does you gut tell you about the game so far?
if you have money to throw away like I did, then.....

....save your money. Keep it for the stand alone release of the other game that you already know and love.

I'd wait until the 31st on this one, i'll gladly give you one of my beta passes.

EDIT: Same for M.O.B. and Wedge, cause ya'll my homies.

if you have money to throw away like I did, then.....

....save your money. Keep it for the stand alone release of the other game that you already know and love.

I'd wait until the 31st on this one, i'll gladly give you one of my beta passes.

Hahahaha, I literally said screw and it and picked it up. D/ling now. I don't have the highest of hopes but, it is an alpha so I'll play with that in mind.

legacyzero

Banned
Hahahaha, I literally said screw and it and picked it up. D/ling now. I don't have the highest of hopes but, it is an alpha so I'll play with that in mind.
LOL That's what I said. I agree though, that I need to give it more time. But so far, it just feels like a ripoff in all aspects.

There's soft toilet paper, and then there's 1-ply. One leaves you clean and accomplished, the other just leaves you with shit on your hand.

LOL That's what I said. I agree though, that I need to give it more time. But so far, it just feels like a ripoff in all aspects.

There's soft toilet paper, and then there's 1-ply. One leaves you clean and accomplished, the other just leaves you with shit on your hand.

Ouch.

Annoyed. I downloaded all the files. Changed graphical settings to ultra, which gave me a restart the game prompt. Restarted game, and now am downloading a 1.5 gb patch.

So the consensus is, no, don't buy into the alpha? I kinda wanted to give it a shot... But I keep hearing it's not so good. Well, I guess I can hold out for the lifted NDA and make a better decision.

EDIT: Hahaha found some videos on the internet. Going to watch this and rethink it.

EDIT 2: Looks a lot like a Left 4 Dead Island hybrid.

So far my feelings with this are. Ehh. It's okay. But DayZ does things quite a bit better, but that has more to do with the foundation of Arma II than the mod itself(leaning,jumping over fences, etc) it does have potential though. It just needs a bit of refinement.

Edit: I don't know if I like this game or it's the fact that I haven't played DayZ in so long that the emergent gameplay aspects have me liking it.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
I'd still recommend anyone on the fence or anybody who has never played DayZ; to wait until it's a few weeks into Beta. There's so much that hasn't been implemented yet; that it'll do nothing but give you a bad first impression.

Edit: I don't know if I like this game or it's the fact that I haven't played DayZ in so long that the emergent gameplay aspects have me liking it.

Having played DayZ fairly recently; I can say that WarZ has a lot more potential in the direction it's heading in.

I'd still recommend anyone on the fence or anybody who has never played DayZ; to wait until it's a few weeks into Beta. There's so much that hasn't been implemented yet; that it'll do nothing but give you a bad first impression.

Having played DayZ fairly recently; I can say that WarZ has a lot more potential in the direction it's heading in.

I dunno. DayZ even 4 months ago, which is pretty much when I stopped playing it, was better than this in its current state. Though, like I said, the potential is there.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member
Yeah, but DayZ has been in its alpha for almost a year now vs WarZ's one week,
so I'm not sure if it's fair to judge it against WarZ at least until they get all of their main features in; which should probably take a month or so.

I'm sorry to say that in the four months since you've played DayZ, literally nothing has changed or been improved, which is pretty disappointing.

ZenVolta

Helicopter with high chance to spawn weapons? They're not even pretending to not copy every page in the DayZ book at this point.

Yeah because DayZ invented the crashed helicopter. -.-

Anyway, Had an awesome time playing with Blitz. Killed some people found some cool loot. And also let some people live. Nothing better then Blitz luring 10 zombies into the house I was in and jumping out a window to safety while they nom my brains. Good times.

Yeah, but DayZ has been in its alpha for almost a year now vs WarZ's one week,
so I'm not sure if it's fair to judge it against WarZ at least until they get all of their main features in; which should probably take a month or so.

I'm sorry to say that in the four months since you've played DayZ, literally nothing has changed or been improved, which is pretty disappointing.

But that's the point. Also, it has not been almost a year. At all. But, the point being, for a game that is looking to try and scoop up the DayZ audience, it needs to at a minimum be able to compete with some of the most basic features.

I don't know when you played DayZ but I played it almost 2 weeks after it was released and it was a mess for sure, but, it was still quite a bit more fully fledged out. The updates only served to help enforce the original design decisions.

WarZ? Needs an animation overhaul, and it needs some very basic movement updates, leaning, crawling, free look need to be implemented, it seems that they are not.

And it'll take more than a month for them to implement the main features, which should have been there from day one, even if it's in a rough form, if it's to be considered a "main" feature.

I wouldn't release a game about boats, only to alpha it, and have no water saying i'll add it later. Granted that's a rough analogy, but you get my point.

I think WarZ is fun, not great, but fun, it has potential and I look forward to seeing it develop further. But lets not pretend that it's better than it is.

WedgeX

Banned
But that's the point. Also, it has not been almost a year. At all. But, the point being, for a game that is looking to try and scoop up the DayZ audience, it needs to at a minimum be able to compete with some of the most basic features.

I don't know when you played DayZ but I played it almost 2 weeks after it was released and it was a mess for sure, but, it was still quite a bit more fully fledged out. The updates only served to help enforce the original design decisions.

WarZ? Needs an animation overhaul, and it needs some very basic movement updates, leaning, crawling, free look need to be implemented, it seems that they are not.

And it'll take more than a month for them to implement the main features, which should have been there from day one, even if it's in a rough form, if it's to be considered a "main" feature.

I wouldn't release a game about boats, only to alpha it, and have no water saying i'll add it later. Granted that's a rough analogy, but you get my point.

I think WarZ is fun, not great, but fun, it has potential and I look forward to seeing it develop further. But lets not pretend that it's better than it is.

Can we kickstart this idea? It may just turn into a sky pirate game, but it's straight forward!

Can we kickstart this idea? It may just turn into a sky pirate game, but it's straight forward!

Hell yeah. All of humanity must take to the skies as the earth has been glassed over due to nuclear warfare. You primarily play as a sky captain, going from floating island to floating island looking for supplies to upgrade your ship and crew, only venturing into the wasteland below when fuel and supplies are no where to be found or to search for the fabled treasure of Earth Past and the mighty Ship of Dizzle which is rumored to have gone down when the evil pirate Wedge betrayed him and crashed the ship. Plus dragons and aliens(which are zombies).

demolitio

I wish I was playing with some gaffers because grouping up in this seems like it could be awesome. Otherwise, it's an isolated walk and running into one zombie 40 minutes later who still kicks my ass because I can't find a gun and the baseball bat sucked for me.

I wish I was playing with some gaffers because grouping up in this seems like it could be awesome. Otherwise, it's an isolated walk and running into one zombie 40 minutes later who still kicks my ass because I can't find a gun and the baseball bat sucked for me.

I'll play with you if you can jump on Mumble. The in game comms needs some refinement.

Kirbychwan

Neo Member

I'm not saying it is; just that I think that it's been judged unfairly.

DayZ was an alpha mod of a completely finished game; all of the leaning, crawling, bullet physics, maps, etc were already in the base game. It shouldn't really be credited to DayZ as much as ArmaII.

But you're right, I agree that everything should have been in since day 1 of a public release.

It was a bad decision that they released the alpha stage to the public at all, since the first impression most people would have is: 'it's a ripoff of DayZ, but not as polished,'
since it doesn't have any of the ambitious main features (clans, safe areas, NPCs, finished global inventory etc) that would set it apart, yet; and I guess them shooting
themselves in the foot image-wise is what irritates me, with a game that has so much potential to shove DayZ aside.

Top Bottom