• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
but you're aware that the GCN was in second place in terms of power after the Xbox and ahead of the PS2 and Nintendo made money on the little lunchbox from day-1, right?

It was second to the PS2 in some things as well, IIRC - the PS2 was a fillrate brute, was it not?

Who else thinks Sony needs a talk from Nintendo and Nintendo needs a talk from Sony?.

Nintendo can tell Sony how to gain profit from day 1 and Sony can tell Nintendo how to gain tons of third party support.

I don't think current Sony is really the one they should be talking to. Much the PS3 support today is by default and the fact they can port games from the 360 to it.

USC-fan

Banned
The tech debate won't die. We already had confirm insider say the different would be bigger than DC(wiiu) to xbox(ps470).

He also stated the jump with ps470 from ps360 will be big.

Like I said before let's worry about getting ps360 games before we worry about next gen games.

AzaK

Apparently the CPU issue was addressed sometime in April, according to BG. What this means for the issue itself is up in the air.

Fully addressed? From what I read I got the impression they took it from "Oh shit, this thing's in trouble trying to manage our games" to "Phew, it can just make it now".

Look, it's not so much hardware reasons that some publishers aren't putting top-tier efforts onto the system. It's demographics (i.e. pigeonholing the "Wii U audience" or more specifically the "Nintendo audience") and ROI assessments in those circumstances. Whether it's successful as Wii and blows away the sales of the competition or a Gamecube-style flop, it's going to be a "fourth/alternate system" for content in the eyes of most pubs.

The system has the hardware necessary to accept up ports and down ports, just the same way one of my laptops with an integrated graphics card can play most of today's games with shit quality in comparison to one of my gaming rigs. It's not ideal hardware, but it's not going to technically stop someone from putting content on it. It takes time and money and the willingness to invest it.

Good points and yes it's more to do with attitude of the publishers but I was still under the impression that the CPU was pretty sub-par. If the system can't meet some benchmark there could be trouble. I just don't know.

Regarding third party support, Nintendo focussing so little on "core" games isn't doing themselves any justice WRT it's perception. Hopefully Nintendo are working their arses off behind the scenes to show otherwise.

Even as a programmer, he says some insane stuff about tech. Same goes for Miyamoto despite his everyday interaction with hardware.
Gamecube disagrees with you.

Gamecube was what it was because it fit Nintendo's pricing I imagine. If consoles of that power had have cost $400, you can bet your cotton socks that GC would have been way less powerful than the PS2 and XBOX.

The Wii U, while maybe more expensive that $250, is still in the ballpark where Nintendo likes to work. That is the limiting factor in the end (Once you add in the day 1 profit desire Nintendo always strives for)

JordanN

Banned
Gamecube was what it was because it fit Nintendo's pricing I imagine. If consoles of that power had have cost $400, you can bet your cotton socks that GC would have been way less powerful than the PS2 and XBOX.
Unless there was a change of plans in regards to PS2's release date, GC still would of out muscled it just for releasing later.

And if time came to pass where the tech was really expensive, Nintendo could just wait it out until it was cheaper to release. Still, the way GC was designed wouldn't really call for those measures (ex: no expensive DVD or Hard drive).

The tech debate won't die. We already had confirm insider say the different would be bigger than DC(wiiu) to xbox(ps470).

Like I said before let's worry about getting ps360 games before we worry about next gen games.

And yet almost no games ever released for those systems will look one iota better than on Wii-U, because of the immense cost of really pushing hardware these days. If only 3 or 4 games per year push the XBox 360 or PS3, imagine how expensive it'll be to push those new consoles beyond Wii-U.

Meelow

Banned
And yet almost no games ever released for those systems will look one iota better than on Wii-U, because of the immense cost of really pushing hardware these days. If only 3 or 4 games per year push the XBox 360 or PS3, imagine how expensive it'll be to push those new consoles beyond Wii-U.

Nobody thinks about that, and how much would the consoles cost?, everyone thinks "POWER!!!!!!" but they don't think about the cost, and I don't see Sony wanting to make another loss off the PS4.

AzaK

If they are already in development for PC (Which may be a smart move for pubs next generation) then it would be a lot easier to downscale the high res assets that you're already making.

USC-fan

Banned

I think some games will look better on wiiu compared to ps360. It just going to take awhile for the wiiu to catch up.

Now for next Gen we already have games that look wayyy better than ps360 games before the consoles have even been announced. First time we have next Gen engines shown before the consoles are even announce.

I think some games will look better on wiiu compared to ps360. It just going to take awhile for the wiiu to catch up.

Now for next Gen we already have games that look wayyy better than ps360 games before the consoles have even been announced. First time we have next Gen engines shown before the consoles are even announce.

You mean the PC games running on higher end hardware than what will be on the PS4/720. We haven't seen any PS4 titles.

I know this statement keeps coming up, but can you link to the post in which Lherre said that? I recall him saying something like "I'm not sure about (dreamcast vs xbox, or PS2 vs xbox), but I think the former." He appeared to be talking solely about xbox720, as he clearly stated more than once that it was superior to the PS4. BGA got the same info, but got a different opinion on the overall ranking.

Nobody thinks about that, and how much would the consoles cost?, everyone thinks "POWER!!!!!!" but they don't think about the cost, and I don't see Sony wanting to make another loss off the PS4.

Well, Microsoft at least has an initiative to handle that cost point. They've got consumers buying systems on contract with monthly fees now - I'm pretty sure the $99 XBox 360 on contract is a test to get all the kinks worked out so they can release a $299 Xbox 720 on contract.

JordanN

Banned
Next gen is going to be soooo fun.

We're going to see this,
ltuYh.gif

and this,
zeldawiiu_02wuqek.gif

and this,
auodzo.gif

Personally, you would have to be a graphic's whore to hate any of them.

brainpann

We're going to see this,
ltuYh.gif

and this,
zeldawiiu_02wuqek.gif

and this,
auodzo.gif

For me, Square's Luminous engine was the most impressive. If they can match that engine to halfway decent game, I'd be happy.

USC-fan

Banned
/\/\ funny thing about these tech demos. Go back and watch the FF7 techdemo for ps3. I remember at the time I thought no way they will be able to produce games like that on ps3. It looks sooo dated now...

You mean the PC games running on higher end hardware than what will be on the PS4/720. We haven't seen any PS4 titles.
WE have the specs for the ps4. Its has a 1.86 tflop GPU. The highest end pc card out there is Radeon HD 7970 at 3.79 tflops.

In a close box john carmack said you can double the performance of a gpu compare to PC. So you have the best gpu out against the PS4 at 3.72 tflops[2x 1.86 glfops]. This is from the API software overhead that you do not get on a console.

I know this statement keeps coming up, but can you link to the post in which Lherre said that? I recall him saying something like "I'm not sure about (dreamcast vs xbox, or PS2 vs xbox), but I think the former." He appeared to be talking solely about xbox720, as he clearly stated more than once that it was superior to the PS4. BGA got the same info, but got a different opinion on the overall ranking.
This is where he was commenting on it. He was given 2 choices of dc-xbox or ps2 to xbox.

He said it will be bigger than dc-xbox.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38277835&postcount=7458

Iherre quoted on beyond3d :
Ps4 (with the target specs in hand) will be ~10x ps3 (in cpu and gpu) and xbox next will be more impressive ... so big jump over Wii U.

At the moment no one has the new AMD APU, but this is only pre-devkits, can be changed in the future.

Sorry for not to be more specific, but I think both will be good machines. Besides, Ps4 appears to be a balanced system like Vita, totally opossed to ps3.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1653789&highlight=lherre#post1653789

We're going to see this,
zeldawiiu_02wuqek.gif

I love the fact you used a off screen zelda gif to try to prove a point. Reminds me of people using off screen GT5 gifs to try to hide all the flaws.

In a close box john carmack said you can double the performance of a gpu compare to PC. So you have the best gpu out against the PS4 at 3.72 tflops[2x 1.86 glfops]. This is from the API software overhead that you do not get on a console.
You're taking what the man said out of context.

Optimization on a closed platform is higher, specially when the generation advances and it starts being outdated; that doesn't mean it does more gflops or is in parity with more powerful hardware, just that lots of the time they start doing stuff in roundabout ways in order to preserve performance; kinda like how Shadow of the Colossus was able to fake HDR on the PS2 or how for example PC games can often waste resources on dynamic shadows whereas if you're really tight on a console and the game allows it you might as well just pre-bake the whole level in order to save resources. Gflops don't increase and doing 1080p won't be any easier to do on a platform with less gigaflops than a PC just because it's a closed platform, it's not suddenly the same because a lot of those tasks rely on power alone.

There's no parity and no equivalency, there's just optimization and perseverance in order to keep up; because if it doesn't and the lead platform is the PC you might as well cancel the console version (which is also a factor since with this in mind a lot of games are done targeting consoles and only then up-built with some extras for PC; doing the oposite would prove to be harder; as a matter of fact if it wasn't for console's, the UE4 tech demo is running on existing hardware as is the square-enix one)
This is where he was commenting on it. He was given 2 choices of dc-xbox or ps2 to xbox.

He said it will be bigger than dc-xbox.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38277835&postcount=7458

Iherre quoted on beyond3d :

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1653789&highlight=lherre#post1653789
They're also saying that Wii U is gonna get it's butt kicked by iPad 4 (when iPad 3 is sitting at a mere 30 Gigaflops)

Not every "developer" or "insider" really knows what he's talking about.

Time will tell the actual difference, because right now we're just saying ~600 is different than 1860; visually (and we've seen that) it's really hard to translate what something looking 2/3 times better looks like; other than it looks better.

There'll be a point when it doesn't really matter, probably not this gen, but doubling or trippling the power certainly doesn't translate into a difference as big as it meant 10 years ago.

JordanN

Banned
I love the fact you used a off screen zelda gif to try to prove a point. Reminds me of people using off screen GT5 gifs to try to hide all the flaws.
If there was a direct feed of the build with new lighting I would be happy to post it.

How?

Last I checked, overall, it was profitable. That alone, negates your seemingly baseless statement
I was talking about making powerhouses. And read the rest of conversation that followed if you still agree or disagree with me.

DynamicG

So what exactly is your point in saying this. I don't believe he compared them or made any statement about power. What is he trying to hide?

You're taking what the man said out of context.

That's like 99% of his gimmick. He's the evolution of burntpork.

nordique

I was talking about making powerhouses. And read the rest of conservation that followed if you still agree or disagree with me.

Okay. So how does Gamecube disagree? I'd said: "Nintendo is in the business of making money, not in the business of making powerhouses"

Last I checked, the Gamecube made money.

It was not the most powerful system/graphics pushing device of its time, by and large.

I don't see your point.

JordanN

Banned
Okay. So how does Gamecube disagree? I'd said: "Nintendo is in the business of making money, not in the business of making powerhouses"

Last I checked, the Gamecube made money.

It was not the most powerful system/graphics pushing device of its time, by and large.

I don't see your point.
I wasn't against the 'not making money' (in fact, I don't find making money and being powerful to be contradictory).

And what constitutes powerhouse in your eyes? If it's simply being the most powerful then you don't consider Xbox 360 as one no?

Apparently the CPU issue was addressed sometime in April, according to BG. What this means for the issue itself is up in the air.

Seemingly addressed. Though credit for finding that goes to wsippel.

Fully addressed? From what I read I got the impression they took it from "Oh shit, this thing's in trouble trying to manage our games" to "Phew, it can just make it now"

The latter would be a huge step over the former. Man Nintendo's E3 has got you really perturbed. XD

We're going to see this,
http://i.imgur.com/ltuYh.gif
and this,
http://h10.abload.de/img/zeldawiiu_02wuqek.gif
and this,
http://www.abload.de/img/auodzo.gif

Particles! I'm drowning in them!

Do what now?

DynamicG

I wasn't against the 'not making money' (in fact, I don't find making money and being powerful to be contradictory).

To some degree more powerful is almost always going to mean more expensive. That's almost exactly why the GCN was awesome. It hit a really magic equilibrium point where it produced great graphics at a low costs.

And what constitutes powerhouse in your eyes? If it's simply being the most powerful then you don't consider Xbox 360 as one no?

The larger problem is that the term "powerhouse" doesn't really describe much outside of a subjective assessment of a console's "power." When most talk about the gamecube's power they usually speak in relation to it's cost and architecture.

The gamecube is an efficient and inexpensive piece of hardware that was tiny as well. Sure it was more "powerful' than the PS2 and less so than the xbox, but just looking at it that way doesn't really give you much detail on why it was good or the specifics of hardware.

If you want to say the GCN was or was not a "powerhouse" then go for it. Why is it so important to use these subjective terms to describe hardware?

AzaK

The latter would be a huge step over the former.
Well there is all this "info" around suggesting that they were doing something like a < 2Ghz processor and possibly not SMT which would be a huge step down from the expected.

Man Nintendo's E3 has got you really perturbed. XD

Has it what! I'm having a aneurysm every time I hear more crappy news about third parties not committing, the uber beast PS4/720's, or read some bollocks by Iwata or Reggie.

I feel completely shafted by the Wii generation, however I am a Nintendo fan (Believe it or not) and love my 3d Mario, Zelda and Metroid so I'd prefer to have those games next generation. However I also really want those third party titles. I want to play Tomb Raider et al, but I don't see myself being able to afford two systems. To not own a Nintendo system next generation would really bum me out but to own one and not have many games might do so more :)

I'm just hoping that we start to hear some really good news soon wrt third party "core" games.

I think it's time to pop open a bottle of Jacks and ride it until launch day :)

WE have the specs for the ps4. Its has a 1.86 tflop GPU. The highest end pc card out there is Radeon HD 7970 at 3.79 tflops.

Wha....the...

Removed Gifs.

The UE4 and FF Tech demo along with the Star Wars 1313 gameplay demo were all running on state of the art PC hardware, most likely an Intel Core i7 4Ghz CPU, 16GB's of Ram and a GTX 680 GPU.

Thats over $1000 worth of hardware and even PS4 and 720 are rumoured to cost $400 so they are not going to look like that i'm afraid.

People need to lower their expectations for next gen, these are consoles and by definition they are restricted by price and more importantly heat in those small cases.

Meelow

Banned
The UE4 and FF Tech demo along with the Star Wars 1313 gameplay demo were all running on state of the art PC hardware, most likely an Intel Core i7 4Ghz CPU, 16GB's of Ram and a GTX 680 GPU.

Thats over $1000 worth of hardware and even PS4 and 720 are rumoured to cost $400 so they are not going to look like that i'm afraid.

People need to lower their expectations for next gen, these are consoles and by definition they are restricted by price and more importantly heat in those small cases.

I feel next E3 will have lots of meltdowns because of the hype of next gen.

something something closed optimized hardware, blah. Been said a million times before anyway.

Speaking of those Gifs, can the WiiU run that FF tech demo?

The engine should be fully scalable to even PS360 levels, whether Square feel there is a big enough market for a 'serious' mainline Final Fantasy on Wii U is another question.

While im posting, two things that leaked right before and on the day of E3, any more info ?.

The Majoras Mask gameplay video, defo fanmade or a possible leak ?.

The FF15 trailer with 'available on PS3 and Wii U' at the end.

Cheers.

OryoN

Next gen is going to be soooo fun beautiful.

We're going to see this,
http://i.imgur.com/ltuYh.gif
and this,
http://h10.abload.de/img/zeldawiiu_02wuqek.gif
and this,
http://www.abload.de/img/auodzo.gif

Temporarily fixed that for ya! j/k

Hmm, I'd like to see how the gifs compare if you had captured footage from this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KiZ6Cd1j8U

It's the best quality video of the Zelda demo, afaik. But yeah, if those are an indication of where nextgen is going visually, either of those 3 would satisfy me(tho, I'm not a fan of the art in the UE4 demo).

ASIS

The engine should be fully scalable to even PS360 levels, whether Square feel there is a big enough market for a 'serious' mainline Final Fantasy on Wii U is another question.

While im posting, two things that leaked right before and on the day of E3, any more info ?.

Cheers.

But it won't look nearly as good will it? Because honestly that blows the Zelda demo out of the water.

and as far as the MM video, take it from me, its fake. But I have no clue about the FF15 trailer.

MDX

In the leaked SDK, there was a line:

High resolution texture support (up to 8192 x 8192)

What does this actually mean, how does it compare to current consoles, and what would be the difference between games at 720p vs 1080p?

JordanN

Banned
In the leaked SDK, there was a line:

What does this actually mean, how does it compare to current consoles, and what would be the difference between games at 720p vs 1080p?
Max texture size the console can display. For example, the DS can support textures of up to 1024 x 1024. Of course, this doesn't mean all textures are like it since higher texture size = more memory needed.

Games at 1080p have higher image quality than those of 720p due to more pixels being present (resulting in a clearer image).

Cheers.

That "FF15" trailer was faker than fake. Same footage from earlier this year looking like it was being filmed in a college classroom.

MDX

Max texture size the console can display. For example, the DS can support textures of up to 1024 x 1024. Of course, this doesn't mean all textures are like it since higher texture size = more memory needed.

Yeah, that I understand, what Im wondering about is more the quality, as in is that good or bad on a 1080p screen, and what type of hardware would you need to produce such textures.

edit... how much ram?

But it won't look nearly as good will it? Because honestly that blows the Zelda demo out of the water.

and as far as the MM video, take it from me, its fake. But I have no clue about the FF15 trailer.

As BG has said many times Wii U will be capable of 'scaled down' PC / PS4 / 720 multiplatform games, it's whether the developers will want to spend the time and money on developing them for the console that's the issue.

The best analogy he ever wrote on here was something along the lines of 'PS360 were 20 times more powerful than the Wii, PS4 / 720 will be 4 times more powerful at most'.

That tells you everything you really need to know about it's power imo, pretty impressive and don't judge it by NSMB U and Nintendo Land.

Aw, i love that Majora's Mask video, such a creepy soundtrack, it really didn't help that i watched that about 4 mins before Nintendo's E3 2012 conference lol ! :'(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom