• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually pretty good article in the defense of the Wii U's third party support.

I mean the biggest argument against the Wii U is it will lose tons of 3rd party support because of power. But this article lays it out brick by brick about how publishers can't break even on development costs in current gen so how can every studio be willing to double/triple their costs next gen.

By screwing over consumers even more. Online passes? Why not implement offline passes, allways online DRM for single player content, money unlocks for different endings, subscriptions for offline content, subscriptions for out of game plattforms (think COD Elite) etc etc...

If they are willing to increase budgets to match the required effort to take advantage of new tech, they are either going to increase prices on the games, or monetize gamers like crazy.

Some Wii U related stuff here > GameStop CEO: Google's tablet is a "gamechanger"

then the gameplay is very cool. I had a map on my Wii U tablet, and I could run around and find the Pikmins where they were, and I was actually attacking the big worm with my nunchuk and my controller. The asymmetric gameplay - I call it the 'tethered tablet' gameplay' - that's going to be a whole new dimension and I'm not sure people get that yet. But give them time, they will.

That's interesting. The Gamestop CEO doesn't seem to understand what "asymmetric" means in the current context of gaming. I wonder if people will in general assume that asymmetric means "screen shows stuff while you use another controller" and whether this will post some sort of problem for Nintendo in transmitting their already slightly incoherent message.

That said, I missed that you could display stuff on the screen while using the remote and nunchuk in that game. I thought this sort of arrangement was limited to our earlier thought experiments.

DrWong

That said, I missed that you could display stuff on the screen while using the remote and nunchuk in that game. I thought this sort of arrangement was limited to our earlier thought experiments.
Yeah, it seems you can play with the nunchuk/wiimote while using the screen gamepad as an interactive map. Cool.

It makes me think Iwata is clueless about tech...

In addition, there have recently been negative campaigns on the Internet in which false opinions are deliberately posted to ruin the reputation of a product. Such vicious rumors are a big problem and could be considered business interference. On the other hand, however, it is very difficult to tell consumers’ real complaints from those that are posted as part of a negative campaign. If we were to delete anything negative about our games, it could constitute a suppression of free speech and you would not able to believe in even a good reputation. Luckily, those who are engaged just to be engaged in negative campaigns are in fact just a fraction of all users. Therefore, in a community in which a number of users with fair opinions exist, opinions posted just for the purpose of a negative campaign will be gradually overwhelmed by the majority of posts of fair impressions. Also, if a number of game players put a remark to indicate “I think this comment is inappropriate,” the subject comments will be seen as unreliable and thereby decreases their influence on other consumers. In that sense, in the world of the Internet, we cannot afford to always act on “the ethical doctrine that human nature is fundamentally good.” At the same time, however, we would like to believe in the possibility of “the wisdom of crowds,” which could create a very interesting and fascinating world, and make efforts for the services to realize it in one way or another. - Satoru Iwata

I think he is talking about people who make comments like yours.

Van Owen

Banned
I'm sure he's just sitting by the phone waiting for your help on tech related issues, give him a call..

All I need is ten minutes.

lol "negative campaign". Maybe just not everyone is over the moon in regards to Wii U tech?

Iwata is delusional if he doesn't think PS4 and 720 aren't going to leapfrog Wii U, 360, and Ps3.

nordique

lol "negative campaign". Maybe just not everyone is over the moon in regards to Wii U tech?

Iwata is delusional if he doesn't think PS4 and 720 aren't going to leapfrog Wii U, 360, and Ps3.

Or perhaps you're delusional if you think Nintendo has absolutely no idea of what its competitors are putting in their respective boxes?

Nintendo knew that when they designed the Wii. They're not in the business of pushing powerhouse systems. They're in the business of making money, not losing it.

Donnie

You realise you just said that Iwata is delusional if he thinks PS2 and 720 are going to leapfrog WiiU ect ect yes? I assume you meant the opposite? Where did he say PS4/XBox3 wouldn't be more powerful?

He actually says "Other companies might launch a next-generation console with more power" so I don't know what you're talking about there.

I definitely think you need to think about this before phoning the president of Nintendo, though I suppose Iwata might get a chuckle out of it :D

I am fine with the tech the Wii U will offer and so are a lot of other people. Why is this always about trying to frame the argument into a tech arms race where Nintendo fans are "over the moon about tech and "Iwata must be delusional"

Iwata and Myamoto have both said a million times that it is about balancing cost and power. I don't know where you get the idea that he is clueless about tech or delusional because of this deliberate approach.

tkscz

Other companies might launch a next-generation console with more power, but we don’t necessarily think that the difference between the Wii U and such console will be as drastic as what you felt it was between the Wii and the other consoles because there will be fewer and fewer differentiators in graphics. Naturally some consumers are very sensitive about such a small difference in graphics so that we will make efforts to make the most of the performance of the Wii U to keep up with technological innovations and not to make the system out-of-date soon.

This has been said in not only this thread, but many others. It's been said quite a lot too.

Obviously read what Iwata said /sarcasm.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Iwata and Myamoto have both said a million times that it is about balancing cost and power. I don't know where you get the idea that he is clueless about tech or delusional because of this deliberate approach.

I don't think Iwata is clueless about tech or anything, but I do wonder if he is coming at this primarily from a Japanese perspective and without a lot of knowledge of what the big Western developers are doing and will be doing.

I am fine with the tech the Wii U will offer and so are a lot of other people. Why is this always about trying to frame the argument into a tech arms race where Nintendo fans are "over the moon about tech and "Iwata must be delusional"

I think people who are claiming unstatisfaction have to realise they are in a minority. From people here who understand tech better than others and my self, reaction to the leaked SDK etc, the reactions were positive, and from what LITTLE we have seen so far, it's another positive from me.

It's obtuse or delusional, maybe selfish, to put ridiculous 'power' demands on Nintendo.

Everyone with an opinion here in either camp are completely overshadowed by the majority who will just look at WiiU games and say 'ohh, pretty'...

HylianTom

Banned
By screwing over consumers even more. Online passes? Why not implement offline passes, allways online DRM for single player content, money unlocks for different endings, subscriptions for offline content, subscriptions for out of game plattforms (think COD Elite) etc etc...

If they are willing to increase budgets to match the required effort to take advantage of new tech, they are either going to increase prices on the games, or monetize gamers like crazy.

Just how far will the gaming audience be willing to bend over open their wallets on all of that DLC and add-on material? What especially entertains me is when folks complain about these things and then, after another breath, turn around and financially reward companies for these behaviours.

But it's necessary. Or so I hear. Realtime asshair physics rendering costs big money, and so many gamers are now convinced that such features are absolutely vital in order to make gaming experiences worthy of their time and money.

I look forward to seeing how these strategies work for third parties. This would make for a very interesting university business course.

I don't think Iwata is clueless about tech or anything, but I do wonder if he is coming at this primarily from a Japanese perspective and without a lot of knowledge of what the big Western developers are doing and will be doing.

You know that is interesting and is one of the main things I wonder about as well. There is a schism of thought and market there that a certain blogger who shall not be named likes to point at all the time. I don't know if he is right but his argument goes.

On the one side is arcade gaming with Atari, Nintendo, Sega, and mostly Japanese games.

The other side is obviously more western, PC, 360, and PS3.

I mean, isn't it foolish to argue that one should be like the other? Sure there is bound to be some overlap, but in general isn't it really two different markets?

I am sure Nintendo is aware of what big Western developers are doing, but why would they really care if they are in the other lineage going after the other market?

That is what games like Nintendoland and Sing and NSMBU seem to be to me: Arcade gaming experiences. If that truly is the case, it makes most of the arguing back and forth about power look silly.

AzaK

Yea, totally agree! I always import from the UK as well. I know full well I'm not doing the local industry any favors with this but it's either that or waiting until the game is 10 bucks 2 years later or going with a used copy off eBay. The latter is probably worse.

3DS games for 30€ would be so much better and I probably would've bought a lot more games sooner if that had been the standard handheld-game price for DS/3DS.
Likewise. 3DS games are NZ$80 ish. I import them for anything from 1/ to 3/4 the price. It's a no brainer.

Arm chair CEO'ing?

Question 13:

"I don’t think that the current Nintendo is making full use of its potential. I believe that there is a way to improve your business more and more by taking advantage of what you already have. As I have a specific plan for it, I would like to make a 10-minute presentation to Mr. Miyamoto, Mr. Takeda and Mr. Iwata as soon as tomorrow if it is possible."

Seriously? I own 7 shares of your stock so let me tell you my super secret idea that will be totally awesome and save your company.
Well we don't know if he own 7 or 7 million.

Still can't believe I'm excited about ZombiU. If someone had told me months ago that I'd be looking forward to Ubi's launch game (of all developers!), I'd've thought they were on something, haha..
Yeah it's strange. It is looking like ubisoft are doing some interesting things With the GamePad.

The answer to Question 9 is especially interesting.
We can only hope it's not more bollocks.

Construction of a second hype train is currently under way. Right, Nibel?
No, please. O.

Definitely the Fall Conference.
Have they announced anything?

People really should just let that train fly right by them. People really should not hype anything else regarding the Wii U. Let Nintendo work on doing it themselves. Let them actively try to sell the system this time around instead of creating an environment where they feel they just need to show up and people will be happy. Don't be taken advantage of or used.
Agreed. Nintendo have reamed my fan hype into a coma. It's their turn to work for fan excitement.

It makes me think Iwata is clueless about tech...
He has to spin it positively though. We can't expect much else at an investor meeting.

Thing is, their equation includes two more factors that are problematic.

1) They don't go for core gamers who are keen to pay more, so Nintendo price low.
2) They like to profit from day 1

Both of those factors drag their "money they can spend on tech" limits down drastically compared to the competition. This is one factor I wish Nintendo would work to change if only because I wish Wii U was "more". I don't mean bleed to death, but maybe accept a higher launch price and focus first on core fans, or take a loss for a little while with a plan to profitability. If you look at Xbox 360 sales, if they weren't dead in Japan they could be rivalling Nintendo in WW sales. All on a very "core" oriented console.

I don't think Nintendo should have done a money death spiral like them this gen, but a more competitive, balanced system would have been better. I'm not sure they have remedied that with Wii U. Time will tell.

I think people who are claiming unstatisfaction have to realise they are in a minority. From people here who understand tech better than others and my self, reaction to the leaked SDK etc, the reactions were positive, and from what LITTLE we have seen so far, it's another positive from me.
Well I wouldn't say the have been positive by the tech people here. More like its popped over their 'passable' line.

D-e-f-

Banned
In addition, there have recently been negative campaigns on the Internet in which false opinions are deliberately posted to ruin the reputation of a product. Such vicious rumors are a big problem and could be considered business interference. On the other hand, however, it is very difficult to tell consumers’ real complaints from those that are posted as part of a negative campaign. If we were to delete anything negative about our games, it could constitute a suppression of free speech and you would not able to believe in even a good reputation. Luckily, those who are engaged just to be engaged in negative campaigns are in fact just a fraction of all users. Therefore, in a community in which a number of users with fair opinions exist, opinions posted just for the purpose of a negative campaign will be gradually overwhelmed by the majority of posts of fair impressions. Also, if a number of game players put a remark to indicate “I think this comment is inappropriate,” the subject comments will be seen as unreliable and thereby decreases their influence on other consumers. In that sense, in the world of the Internet, we cannot afford to always act on “the ethical doctrine that human nature is fundamentally good.” At the same time, however, we would like to believe in the possibility of “the wisdom of crowds,” which could create a very interesting and fascinating world, and make efforts for the services to realize it in one way or another. - Satoru Iwata

I think he is talking about people who make comments like yours.

he was checking GAF during E3 :D

scaled.phpserver854fi89y2w.jpg

That's interesting. The Gamestop CEO doesn't seem to understand what "asymmetric" means in the current context of gaming. I wonder if people will in general assume that asymmetric means "screen shows stuff while you use another controller" and whether this will post some sort of problem for Nintendo in transmitting their already slightly incoherent message.

It's weird how this word is so hard to get right apparently. During E3 week I kept hearing people say "blahblah asynchronous gameplay blahblah". C'mon! English isn't even my first language and I have no trouble comprehending the difference between asymmetry and asynchronism. One relates to different actions and the other relates to different points in time. And the Gametop guy even thinks it means Wiimote+GamePad gameplay? Oh dear...

he was checking GAF during E3 :D

scaled.phpserver854fi89y2w.jpg

It's weird how this word is so hard to get right apparently. During E3 week I kept hearing people say "blahblah asynchronous gameplay blahblah". C'mon! English isn't even my first language and I have no trouble comprehending the difference between asymmetry and asynchronism. One relates to different actions and the other relates to different points in time. And the Gametop guy even thinks it means Wiimote+GamePad gameplay? Oh dear...

Wow, I mistook you for a native speaker! Your English is very good. Where are you from and what is your first language?

Also, I believe it is the word assymetrical, not the concept that is difficult for people to grasp. Assymetrical is not really an everyday use word in English. People have to stop and think about that word before they use it or when they hear it, even if they know what it means.

Why Nintendo is using it in their marketing to try to explain their vision for the system seems a bit odd to me. If their marketing were based on a tag your it, or a be the dungeon master type of scenario, that would be something everyone could relate to better.

andthebeatgoeson

I don’t think that the current Nintendo is making full use of its potential. I believe that there is a way to improve your business more and more by taking advantage of what you already have. As I have a specific plan for it, I would like to make a 10-minute presentation to Mr. Miyamoto, Mr. Takeda and Mr. Iwata as soon as tomorrow if it is possible.

See if you can spot the difference.

jerd

Sooo, we're back to considering these three to all have the same level of power? OK cool :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Also, I believe it is the word assymetrical, not the concept that is difficult for people to grasp. Assymetrical is not really an everyday use word in English. People have to stop and think about that word before they use it or when they hear it, even if they know what it means.
The ass-what now?

;p

D-e-f-

Banned
Wow, I mistook you for a native speaker! Your English is very good. Where are you from and what is your first language?

Why Nintendo is using it in their marketing to try to explain their vision for the system seems a bit odd to me. If their marketing were based on a tag your it, or a be the dungeon master type of scenario, that would be something everyone could relate to better.

I'm from boring ol' Germany. The only place that has worse game localization than the US :D

I somewhat agree that using the term "asymmetric gameplay" to promote the system is a bit weird if consider that they wanna get the lowest common denominator customer again "("Does it have the wifis?", "Can I play the Marios that Xbox computer?"). Though, on the other hand, what else can you say to convey the concept in one or two words.

Well, maybe they'll think of something once the actual end-user marketing begins or they are really banking on those "Wii U Experience" events to sell people who then go and spread the word again

I'm from boring ol' Germany. The only place that has worse game localization than the US :D

I somewhat agree that using the term "asymmetric gameplay" to promote the system is a bit weird if consider that they wanna get the lowest common denominator customer again "("Does it have the wifis?", "Can I play the Marios that Xbox computer?"). Though, on the other hand, what else can you say to convey the concept in one or two words.

Well, maybe they'll think of something once the actual end-user marketing begins or they are really banking on those "Wii U Experience" events to sell people who then go and spread the word again

They tried it with

ALONE TOGETHER

but people still don't know what the hell they are talking about because those are two different things.

andthebeatgoeson

Iwata probably knows more about tech than 95% of this thread

And more about stocks than 95% of his stockholders.

Q: Let me ask something fundamental. Isn’t Nintendo’s business model becoming outdated? What kind of growth strategy would you specifically propose? Please explain clearly what your growth strategy is as I believe Nintendo’s share price will quickly rise once you have announced it to the media.

A: However, I would like you to look back on what we have done so far. We said, “We are going to sell the Nintendo DS in this way and expand the gaming population.” We did as we said we would. Did the share price rise at the time of our making this statement? No, it did not. It only rose once the Nintendo DS started to sell well. We also said, “With the Wii, we are going to get people who have never played games to play games.” We achieved what we said we would. But the share price did not rise (at the time of announcing this vision) but it only did so after (the Wii started to sell well). In the end, it’s all about results. Therefore, we believe what we need to do now is show results.

Earendil

The power increase isn't going to be a problem imo. We know that on paper the U is around 3 times more powerful than the 360. If the 720 leaks are accurate then that will make the 720 6 times more powerful than the 360...unless I'm remembering things wrong..?

Maths isn't my strong point at all, so I may be wrong, but wouldn't that make the 720 3 times more powerful than the U..? And the Xbox was around 3 times more powerful than the PS2 last gen.

I'll preface this by saying using multipliers is pointless, but I understand what you were trying to say.

If the X360 = 1, and Wii U is 3 x X360, then WiiU = 3. If the 720 = 6 x X360, then the 720 = 2 x WiiU.

But again, using multipliers to determine console power is not a good metric.

Ryoku

*Sigh*.....

PS3 and Xbox 360 leapfrogged Wii. Referring to the BS multiplier method, they were what? Somewhere in the realm of 20x as powerful as the Wii, right?
PS4 and Xbox3 will not leapfrog Wii U. They'll be more powerful, sure--noticeably so. They won't, however, leapfrog the Wii U. Xbox and Gamecube didn't leapfrog PS2, even though they were noticeably more powerful.
Then again, this all depends on your definition of "leapfrog", for which there is no concrete definition, given the context. If you believe Xbox and Gamecube leapfrogged PS2, then sure, PS4 and Xbox3 will leapfrog Wii U.

Van Owen

Banned
*Sigh*.....

PS3 and Xbox 360 leapfrogged Wii. Referring to the BS multiplier method, they were what? Somewhere in the realm of 20x as powerful as the Wii, right?
PS4 and Xbox3 will not leapfrog Wii U. They'll be more powerful, sure--noticeably so. They won't, however, leapfrog the Wii U. Xbox and Gamecube didn't leapfrog PS2, even though they were noticeably more powerful.

lol, it will be much more substantial than GC/Xbox over PS2. Pretty much a full generational leap.

donny2112

He has to spin it positively though.

Iwata has shown himself to one of the most brutally honest CEOs about his own company that I've ever seen. Doesn't preclude him from spinning, still, but you can't just write it off as spin because it comes from the head of Nintendo. Besides, what he's saying is that the Wii U -> PS480 gap will be less than the Wii -> PS360 gap. I don't think there's anyone (who's attempting reasonable discussion) who would disagree with that based off of what's been said about the next-gen systems.

http://nintendoeverything.com/93152/iwata-discusses-nintendos-non-subscription-online-approach-for-wii-u/

On the other hand, some of you attending here must naturally wonder if the company can afford to say such a thing when it is attempting to improve profitability. However, our aim is that network services will eventually contribute to our overall profits even if they are available for free. More specifically, network services will let you communicate with other people, visualize what they are interested in and tell you something you did not know. Haven’t you ever had an experience that one of your friends introduced you to a song or a movie and that you regret not watching the movies by a certain director or listening to the songs by a certain artist in your life until then? If we are not aware of them, they are virtually nonexistent to us. Exactly the same thing can be said about video games. In developing a network service called “Miiverse” available for the Wii U, we are pursuing how to amplify and transmit consumers’ empathy about a game. For example, when you see another user enjoying the same game you also play say, “I enjoyed another game like this and that too,” you might be interested in a game which otherwise would not be on your wish list at all. In other words, even if we will not directly get paid by such online services, they will help build the circumstance where consumers are more constantly playing games on our platforms, which will increase the sales potential of new games, or a consumer who has played two games a year would be inclined to try three or four games a year. In short, we expect that online services will contribute to our profits in the form of increasing the number of games to be sold for one platform. From an economic standpoint, with that as an objective, the company is considering the necessary and appropriate services.

I find Iwata's way of counter-balancing the profits Nintendo could make using a subscription model by instead using online word-of-mouth intriguing. I like the idea a lot, because there has been a ton of games for the Wii that I completely missed out on during release because of not knowing about them. And if it is possible to spectate a friend's game, then it will make his statement even more impactful and hopefully true. Curious to see how it turns out.

I find Iwata's way of counter-balancing the profits Nintendo could make using a subscription model by instead using online word-of-mouth intriguing. I like the idea a lot, because there has been a ton of games for the Wii that I completely missed out on during release because of not knowing about them. And if it is possible to spectate a friend's game, then it will make his statement even more impactful and hopefully true. Curious to see how it turns out.

It also means that some of the more casual gamers who don't pay attention to gaming sites will see what games are popular, so will be more inclined to go out and buy them. I'm betting that Wii Sports Resort would have sold even better had everyone turned on the game console and saw the game on their home screen with a ton of little Mii's around it.

AzaK

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no. The gap between systems will be much MUCH smaller than this gen's SD -> HD systems gap.

Of course, but there might still be a possibility of such a gap (Especially with the Wii U's rumoured gimped CPU) that some devs might just forgo the Wii U port because they'd have to downscale so much.

Hopefully Wii U can get established rapidly enough that it'd be stupid for publishers to give up the opportunity to throw away that much money.

Ryoku

Of course, but there might still be a possibility of such a gap (Especially with the Wii U's rumoured gimped CPU) that some devs might just forgo the Wii U port because they'd have to downscale so much.

Hopefully Wii U can get established rapidly enough that it'd be stupid for publishers to give up the opportunity to throw away that much money.

Apparently the CPU issue was addressed sometime in April, according to BG. What this means for the issue itself is up in the air.

StevieP

Banned

Look, it's not so much hardware reasons that some publishers aren't putting top-tier efforts onto the system. It's demographics (i.e. pigeonholing the "Wii U audience" or more specifically the "Nintendo audience") and ROI assessments in those circumstances. Whether it's successful as Wii and blows away the sales of the competition or a Gamecube-style flop, it's going to be a "fourth/alternate system" for content in the eyes of most pubs.

The system has the hardware necessary to accept up ports and down ports, just the same way one of my laptops with an integrated graphics card can play most of today's games with shit quality in comparison to one of my gaming rigs. It's not ideal hardware, but it's not going to technically stop someone from putting content on it. It takes time and money and the willingness to invest it.

JordanN

Banned
Iwata probably knows more about tech than 95% of this thread
Even as a programmer, he says some insane stuff about tech. Same goes for Miyamoto despite his everyday interaction with hardware.

Or perhaps you're delusional if you think Nintendo has absolutely no idea of what its competitors are putting in their respective boxes?

Nintendo knew that when they designed the Wii. They're not in the business of pushing powerhouse systems. They're in the business of making money, not losing it.
Gamecube disagrees with you.

MDX

I dont care how advanced the PS4 or Xbox3 is compared to the WiiU.
Ill still buy the WiiU over those other two consoles, just like I bought the Wii instead of the 360 and PS3.

Its not that the other consoles wont provide compelling entertainment, I just feel with Nintendo, their philosophy about gaming and the industry will provide a much more rewarding experience.

Meelow

Banned
Who else thinks Sony needs a talk from Nintendo and Nintendo needs a talk from Sony?.

Nintendo can tell Sony how to gain profit from day 1 and Sony can tell Nintendo how to gain tons of third party support.

JordanN

Banned
GameCube was a really nicely balanced, powerful piece of kit but it wasn't an insane, powerhouse system that was going to cost them an arm & leg to sell under cost.
We share different definitions of powerhouse then because I don't necessarily believe you have to bleed yourself dry to be powerful.

D-e-f-

Banned
We share different definitions of powerhouse then because I don't necessarily believe you have to bleed yourself dry to be powerful.

but you're aware that the GCN was in second place in terms of power after the Xbox and ahead of the PS2 and Nintendo made money on the little lunchbox from day-1, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom