• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

rozay

Banned
To piggy back on your question: Can someone explain how warp/throw detonations work? I assume you warp an enemy and then immediately cast throw?
Yes. It's great against turrets and the Atlas (or multiple of them!)

I don't understand how stasis+throw works myself so I can't answer that though :(

Balphon

To piggy back on your question: Can someone explain how warp/throw detonations work? I assume you warp an enemy and then immediately cast throw?

Hitting a target under the effect of a biotic with a lasting effect (stasis, warp, pull, singularity, etc.) with one of the projectile looking biotics (throw, warp, etc.) will cause a detonation. In the past, this caused the biotic effect to be removed but in the demo stasis and maybe some others seem to remain after the detonation. However, the target needs to be hit with another lasting-effect biotic to set up a second detonation, as the same effect can't be detonated twice on the same target, though if multiple targets are hit with one cast of stasis or singularity you can independently cause a detonation on each of them. Hope that helps.

Been playing a lot since Friday and still got no character unlocks (other than the same ones I had at start).

Going to try and just spam open recruit boxes instead of veteran this time.

Been playing a lot since Friday and still got no character unlocks (other than the same ones I had at start).

been playing since day 1 (got the early access to the demo) and I have the same problem...it really hates me :(

Croc

Banned

Yup, same situation here. I've bought like 5 or 6 recruit boxes and 2 veteran boxes and no new characters. Have also only got 1 new weapon.

X-Frame

Yup, same situation here. I've bought like 5 or 6 recruit boxes and 2 veteran boxes and no new characters. Have also only got 1 new weapon.

I bought about 10 veteran packs before my first alien. Luckily it was a Krogan Soldier who I was waiting for to wreck shit up Bash Brother's Mighty Ducks style.

JerkShep

I have unlocked a Quarian Engineer, a Turian Sentinel and an Asari Adept so far. It seemed to me that changing classes and using humans was helpful.
My story so far regarding characters unlocks:
first pack = Quarian Engineer, played it since level 19 and no character unlocks (I bought a lot of recruit pack at the beginning though).
I changed class and leveled up human Soldier for a bit (like level 9 or something) and after a couple of veteran packs and I unlocked Turian Sentinel.
I leveled up a bit with Turian Sentinel but no chara unlocks, so I changed and tried human Adept, just a couple of matches and BAM Asari Adept unlocked.
I'll try with Infiltrator now.

Is something like this possible or logical anyway? lol

rozay

Banned
I have unlocked a Quarian Engineer, a Turian Sentinel and an Asari Adept so far. It seemed to me that changing classes and using humans was helpful.
My story so far regarding characters unlocks:
first pack = Quarian Engineer, played it since level 19 and no character unlocks (I bought a lot of recruit pack at the beginning though).
I changed class and leveled up human Soldier for a bit (like level 9 or something) and after a couple of veteran packs and I unlocked Turian Sentinel.
I leveled up a bit with Turian Sentinel but no chara unlocks, so I changed and tried human Adept, just a couple of matches and BAM Asari Adept unlocked.
I'll try with Infiltrator now.

Is something like this possible or logical anyway? lol
I have played 3/6 of the human classes and unlocked all the alien characters except the turian.

Smo21

ok after using Asari adept and looking at the Asari vanguard, it will be OP. Has charge and stasis... that all you need to beast.

Balphon

ok after using Asari adept and looking at the Asari vanguard, it will be OP. Has charge and stasis... that all you need to beast.

To be fair, stasis will likely be a lot less useful against enemy types which, unlike Cerberus, have a lot of enemies with armor (i.e. Husks).

How long is the multiplayer going to be up for 360? I haven't checked it out yet, and honestly am not in a rush to do so, but will if it's gone soon.

Does the game not scale enemies to how many players are in the match? Because it definitely doesn't seem so.

There's no scaling. An easy way to tell is just to add up the scores at the end of a bronze game. When you solo bronze your score will clear 90k, give or take a few thousand depending on the speed of clearing objectives. Divide that by 4 and you'll see the typical 4 player bronze games.

krakov

Human Vanguard and Asari Adept are god tier. Infiltrator is pretty damn strong as well thanks to the cloak and all of it's uses, Salarian/Human both have their good/bad.

Quarian Engineer and Drell Vanguard I would put in the low tier. Turret is awful sadly and Charge isn't all that useful with a lousy barrier.

Human Vanguard and Asari Adept are god tier. Infiltrator is pretty damn strong as well thanks to the cloak and all of it's uses, Salarian/Human both have their good/bad.

Quarian Engineer and Drell Vanguard I would put in the low tier. Turret is awful sadly and Charge isn't all that useful with a lousy barrier.

Don't use Charge with the Drell... emphasize cluster grenades (which are fantastic) and pull and you've got a solidly mid-tier class. I've won about half the rounds I've played with the Drell and that playstyle.

jediyoshi

Charge spam is great for completely breaking the landing zone area of firebase white. You can pretty much hold off that entire sector of the map if you've got your cooldown times low enough.

krakov

Charge spam is great for completely breaking the landing zone area of firebase white. You can pretty much hold off that entire sector of the map if you've got your cooldown times low enough.

It's pretty great for any moment as long as there are enemies about, Human one is by far superior though. Except for Turrets and the one hit kill attacks nothing can really break the charge>nova-loop unless you get stuck with no targets around.

I'm not feeling any of the grenades actually, having to restock is painful even on bronze. When things hit the fan in silver/gold you have other things to worry about.

The lvl 20 cap works perfectly for Human Vanguard also as you won't need shockwave at all.

Xanathus

Drell Vanguard is also amazing because Pull will pull off the shields from a Guardian making them trivial to kill. Just put only one point into it and you'll be able to max all of the other skills. Drell Vanguard is probably the best class to handle those enemies aside from an Asari Adept with Stasis Bubble, but you only need 1 point in Pull to be able to do this.

Sephon

Playing on PC here, and I'm curious if anyone else had the bug where you can join a match and only keep 1 item on the hotbar, and it seems to be the 2-key which has a skill, all others are empty.

Kinda frustrating since I'm mostly gimped for the course of that mission, and to manually activate skills takes too much time.

moop1167

Played for the first time last night and had a blast! I think I am level 4 now on my human Vanguard. Pretty fun, but I was kind of careless considering it was my first time.

I would definitely like to play with some GAF peeps. PC version.

gaf - moop1167
origin - moop1167

Add me to list if possible. If anyone is lower level like me I would love to get some bronze games in tonight.

This may have been discussed before, but doesn't it appear that the level cap in the retail version might be 100? On one of the character pages, it clearly shows a large bar divided into 5 segments, and the first segment definitely only goes up to 20. I'm wondering what you would unlock going that high? Are there more powers to unlock, or more levels of powers?

Miggytronz

Drell Vanguard is also amazing because Pull will pull off the shields from a Guardian making them trivial to kill. Just put only one point into it and you'll be able to max all of the other skills. Drell Vanguard is probably the best class to handle those enemies aside from an Asari Adept with Stasis Bubble, but you only need 1 point in Pull to be able to do this.

my favorite class in the game.

Croc

Banned
Playing on PC here, and I'm curious if anyone else had the bug where you can join a match and only keep 1 item on the hotbar, and it seems to be the 2-key which has a skill, all others are empty.

Kinda frustrating since I'm mostly gimped for the course of that mission, and to manually activate skills takes too much time.

I actually had a form of this once on PS3. When I started the mission I went to use Warp only to be shocked when I used Shockwave instead. I looked at my powers and every single one of them was Shockwave. Looked at my items and all of them were Shockwave as well. The strange thing was they only looked like Shockwave. Warp and Shockwave had somehow switched places, but I could still use all of my powers despite them all being labeled as Shockwave.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Yup, run into that one before. It seems to happen when you play one character and then switch to another one between matches. Don't know why that's an issue, but backing out to the main menu seems to clear the problem.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Anyone here experienced the game just bugging out? I play on the PS3 and every once in a while, the game will just flat out not work.

By that, I mean, the screen would start shaking, my character getting stuck in ramps, cover, etc. It feels like I'm lagging but I don't think I really am. It got to a point that one time I could only see my crosshair and can only spin about 180 degrees and not do a goddamn thing.

So, is this a normal occurrence now? Or am I an isolated incident?

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I have been horribly unlucky with pack unlocks (playing across three platforms!!) and got only my third overall last night after a pretty fucking incredible duo run through bronze-me as a paltry level 6 soldier and with a level 12 engineer (I still maintain they are the best overall class, but...).

So my veteran pack unlock was the Asari adept. Holy shit on a stick. Fully upgraded stasis bubble, 3 ranks in warp, 2 in asari adept specialty, heavy pistol only +180% recharge rate.

That was the most disgustingly dirty and awesome thing I have done in a game in a long time. During one wave we had an atlas, a phantom, a nemesis, an engineer, and a few randoms charing us (me and two mid teens-an engineer and vanguard). One of them took out the atlas with a missile, and I chain stasised every single fucking enemy on the map as we slaughtered them. At one point I solo'd a target wave running around like a psycho putting everyone in stasis lock so I could hit the final target and move on.

It is ridiculously, gloriously overpowered. I can't even imagine how terrifying that would be on an Asari Vanguard with charge and a pistol only build.

I will say that I still, after all that, think a fully upgraded engineer is the best class in the game, especially for the challenges on silver and gold.

It's funny how a coop horde mode (I have barely played any horde in Gears, though I like the multiplayer) has completely and totally enthralled me. I don't know if it is the universe or setting or the fact that it is just moreMass Effect, but I love it!

moop1167

Any people with low level characters? Looking to add people to my friends list for some games.

I made a post to be added to the OP but my origin id is moop1167.

Violet_0

Banned
say, can the widow kill full health + shield Centurions on gold with one shot when fired from stealth and with all the damage upgrades?

Mindlog

/Joins random game. High level players and Difficulty on, Gold. Sure, why not? Team scraps its way to wave 8. Impressive.
The team is feeling it so we give it another go. We make it to wave 6 without any item use and hardly any casualties. Outstanding. Then one phantom slips in unnoticed and guts us all.

There's a good chance I'm going to end up beating gold with randoms.

RE: Asari throw. It needs too many points to get to cool-down reset and that doesn't save enough time.

Balphon

RE: Asari throw. It needs too many points to get to cool-down reset and that doesn't save enough time.

It's my primary offensive ability. I use warp only to combo. But yeah, the cooldown reset is redundant since throw will generally cool down before it even hits the target.

Niblet

I unlocked Salarian Infiltrator and I'm bugging out trying to decide on a build for him. I feel like I've messed up so many of my characters already by not understanding game mechanics early on and not choosing a cohesive role and building for it. I'm thinking sniper build or shotgun build. Infiltrator gives bonuses to being a sniper, so I'm leaning that way. But shotgun build is an interesting playstyle that can work with salarians because of their ability to energy drain while cloaked.

And even if I do decide on sniper or shotgun, I still have to decide on how to allot my points. Cloak and Energy drain are essential to max, but do I put points into proximity mine which seems pretty good or forgo proximity mine so I can max the 2 passive skills for survival and damage / weight reduction (useful for these stupidly heavy guns). So much f'ing choice.

I just want a competent build for gold (and by extension silver). Most of my other classes have their points all over the place and I think it holds me back on silver (although I manage to complete if the team is competent).

Also, Vanguards are stupid on silver difficulty. The only reason I stopped playing Vanguard class is because I notice that that class is the most likely to experience game-breaking bugs. On 3 occassions, I glitched off the map on white base, with no options but to quit the mission. 3 silver missions down the drain because of it.

Edit: I think I'm going to end up buying this game even though I wanted to wait for a bomba sale of $20 or below. This damn multiplayer.

Samara

Anyone here experienced the game just bugging out? I play on the PS3 and every once in a while, the game will just flat out not work.

By that, I mean, the screen would start shaking, my character getting stuck in ramps, cover, etc. It feels like I'm lagging but I don't think I really am. It got to a point that one time I could only see my crosshair and can only spin about 180 degrees and not do a goddamn thing.

So, is this a normal occurrence now? Or am I an isolated incident?

I'm also having problem with my powers on the PS3. I have to press R2 nonstop for Nova to work. And Charge takes a few second to charge---I have been sucked into a vortex a few times

Mindlog

It's my primary offensive ability. I use warp only to combo. But yeah, the cooldown reset is redundant since throw will generally cool down before it even hits the target.
My human sentinel is like that. With the Asari I'm using stasis + Phalanx. Really gotta keep an eye out for phantoms.

I would take my Carnifax if it was a higher level (only II atm.) The Carnifax is fantastic, but I need every bit of cooldown on Gold.

I unlocked Salarian Infiltrator and I'm bugging out trying to decide on a build for him. I feel like I've messed up so many of my characters already by not understanding game mechanics early on and not choosing a cohesive role and building for it. I'm thinking sniper build or shotgun build. Infiltrator gives bonuses to being a sniper, so I'm leaning that way.
It took us forever to get a Widow for the Salarian Infiltrator. I'm having a really hard time justifying any of the sniper rifles over a Carnifax. The Widow does an excellent job against Atlases, but so does the Carnifax.

Just heard this from a random pubbie I played with that had a surprising amount of knowledge about other things in multiplayer (which is why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here)... but did anyone here about Bioware releasing another faction for multiplayer on Friday? Husks in particular?

Balphon

My human sentinel is like that. With the Asari I'm using stasis + Phalanx. Really gotta keep an eye out for phantoms.

I would take my Carnifax if it was a higher level (only II atm.) The Carnifax is fantastic, but I need every bit of cooldown on Gold.

Yeah, Phantoms pretty much require you to play reservedly and keep your head on a swivel, particularly when there are like 8 of them bearing down on you. That said, with all the upgrades the warp-> throw biotic explosion is really powerful and doesn't take that long to do, at least with the Asari. Even on gold one explosion will take off about 1/4 of an Atlas's armor (but not shields) and come close to killing anything standing near it regardless.

Niblet

It took us forever to get a Widow for the Salarian Infiltrator. I'm having a really hard time justifying any of the sniper rifles over a Carnifax. The Widow does an excellent job against Atlases, but so does the Carnifax.

I also unlocked the carnifax. Is it really that beastly? I haven't gotten a chance to use it as I've been leveling human infiltrator (won't touch salarian until I decide my build). I've been using the viper since I have it level 8 and only lv3 mantis (no widow...) and I have been enjoying it. Does the carnifax majorly outclass all the other sniper rifles that are not the widow?

Just heard this from a random pubbie I played with that had a surprising amount of knowledge about other things in multiplayer (which is why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here)... but did anyone here about Bioware releasing another faction for multiplayer on Friday? Husks in particular?

That would be bananas. Please based Shep.

Mindlog

I also unlocked the carnifax. Is it really that beastly? I haven't gotten a chance to use it as I've been leveling human infiltrator (won't touch salarian until I decide my build). I've been using the viper since I have it level 8 and only lv3 mantis (no widow...) and I have been enjoying it. Does the carnifax majorly outclass all the other sniper rifles that are not the widow?
It's hard to say. Just using a sniper rifle is great. The Widow is fun for a while (Atlas and Guardian killing.) It's just that the Carnifax does a tremendous amount of damage, has a high RoF and is very light compared to a sniper rifle.

I haven't used it on gold yet. Silver only.
Yeah, Phantoms pretty much require you to play reservedly and keep your head on a swivel, particularly when there are like 8 of them bearing down on you. That said, with all the upgrades the warp-> throw biotic explosion is really powerful and doesn't take that long to do, at least with the Asari. Even on gold one explosion will take off about 1/4 of an Atlas's armor (but not shields) and come close to killing anything standing near it regardless.
Do you have your warp set for increased explosion damage? I'm betting I could take a hit on some of the passive stuff to try throw out.

Balphon

Do you have your warp set for increased explosion damage? I'm betting I could take a hit on some of the passive stuff to try throw out.

Yeah, both it and throw. I'm not quite sure if the warp upgrade affects all biotic explosions or just ones involving warp. It seems like it's the latter, though.

I just unlocked an asari adept and was wondering what type of load out I should be looking at? I see a lot of people with sniper rifles, but in my experience with vanguards you want as high recharge rate as possible if you've got any kind of biotics.

X-Frame

I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf the heavy pistols somehow because of how they are doubling as a sniper rifle.

My Krogan Sentinel "Havoc" is salivating to run over husks.

Top Bottom