• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC: Sony shipped more than 500,000 headsets in the three months through June

Tobor

I’d be willing to bet Sony assumed Microsoft would jump into VR with the Scorpio launch. That might have helped grow the market.

mollipen

There are loads of stationary VR games where motion sickness should never be an issue.

Every time I've been at an event or whatever and had a dev tell me "our VR game won't make you sick" it's made me sick—even stationary ones. Some people just can't handle VR period.

Hahaha, why did they buy timed exclusivity deals for games then?

True.......but it kind of does feel like Sony is the only one putting more money behind funding VR games, giving it a dedicated store front and stage presence than any other manufacturer so yeah.

It's kind of a weird statement but I can understand the whole uneasy feeling behind the way he views things.

farisr

Didnt phil/greenburg hint at occulus support for scorpio in 2016
They announced VR for Scorpio at the E3 2016 conference with Todd Howard basically saying that only Scorpio was powerful enough for Fallout 4 VR during the Scorpio hype vid.

StereoVsn

They announced VR for Scorpio at the E3 2016 conference with Todd Howard basically saying that only Scorpio was powerful enough for Fallout 4 VR during the Scorpio hype vid.
I thought Scorpio is supposed to support the new VR/AR Win10 headsets being pushed by MS? Did that tank?

farisr

I thought Scorpio is supposed to support the new VR/AR Win10 headsets being pushed by MS? Did that tank?
No idea. MS sure isn't being vocal enough about it if that is the case, which indicates lack of enthusiasm/backing. Throwaway support like "yeah our console is capable... we don't have much to show for it though" isn't going to help the overall medium

cakely

I’d be willing to bet Sony assumed Microsoft would jump into VR with the Scorpio launch. That might have helped grow the market.

I was hoping the same thing. Microsoft getting into console VR would add a big block of enthusiastic players into camp VR, and a bigger market for 3rd-party VR games.

image.php

I mean it's in the title.

Awesome.

Everyone I demoed the PSVR with has been blown away, but it's costly to justify for many folks. Just got to keep bringing that pricing down and get that adoption rate to explode.

Clockwork5

Have they fixed the headset tracking issues yet? Nothing induces motion sickness like sitting still and having the world wobble around you.

One of the few reasons I sold my headset months ago.

Synth

True.......but it kind of does feel like Sony is the only one putting more money behind funding VR games, giving it a dedicated store front and stage presence than any other manufacturer so yeah.

It's kind of a weird statement but I can understand the whole uneasy feeling behind the way he views things.

The bolded is absolutely not true. Are you completely unaware of what Oculus have been funding and releasing, and they have a storefront that is literally 100% VR content across two different device families (including the overall leader)?

Most of Sony's cash seemingly goes towards locking VR functionality from other platforms for a year, rather than actually funding a lot of products, which makes House's statement silly, as its a move that's done to negatively impact the other platforms in order to benefit PSVR, rather than just creating better offerings.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The bolded is absolutely not true. Are you completely unaware of what Oculus have been funding and releasing, and they have a storefront that is literally 100% VR content across two different device families (including the overall leader),

Most of Sony's cash seemingly goes towards locking VR functionality from other platforms for a year, rather than actually funding a lot of products, which makes House's statement silly, as its a move that's done to negatively impact the other platforms in order to benefit PSVR, rather than just creating better offerings.

Not true! They are also making their own 1st party games too.

Yeah for the PSVR to succeed, it definitely need it's competition to do well. Otherwise no developers would bother supporting it.

I love PSVR, but it's definitely lacking in game department. Farpoint is an excellent start (So good), but we definitely need more.

Synth

Not true! They are also making their own 1st party games too.

Maybe "most" is too strong a term. But they commit less to original content production than Oculus has been doing, and they've committed far more to buying timed exclusivity to content. And that content is often for a game that actually exists on the other platforms, with only the VR functionality locked out (RE7, AC7, RoTR, Tekken 7, etc).

BibiMaghoo

I've got an Oculus on loan at the moment and playing Elite in it is a really great experience, but it is so fucking tiring. I don't get motion sickness to any concerning degree, or have any eye or focus problems, but after two hours wearing a headset and looking around to view things, I feel like I've been in a car crash. I'm not sure any headset is going to overcome this issue, but I'm glad - and surprised - the PSVR is doing so well.

The rare breed of JaffeLion.
Amazing it has managed to survive in the ever-diminishing video game savanna. Its camouflage isn't even that good!

;)

border

VR is DOA people? Where are you?

I don't think it's DOA, but growth is pretty damned slow.

Less than 100K units/month worldwide is not exactly an "Eat crow you doubting motherfuckers!" moment. If any other hardware platform (Switch, Xbox One) had sales like that there would be plenty of people here digging its grave.

ChouGoku

I've got an Oculus on loan at the moment and playing Elite in it is a really great experience, but it is so fucking tiring. I don't get motion sickness to any concerning degree, or have any eye or focus problems, but after two hours wearing a headset and looking around to view things, I feel like I've been in a car crash. I'm not sure any headset is going to overcome this issue, but I'm glad - and surprised - the PSVR is doing so well.

The PSVR is comfortable as hell, I wear it for hours at a time, its only gotten worse as I was growing out my hair

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mollipen said:
Every time I've been at an event or whatever and had a dev tell me "our VR game won't make you sick" it's made me sick—even stationary ones.
I wouldn't discount VR as a whole based on that at all. Locomotion aside, there are dozens upon dozens of other ways to make someone sick in stationary OR 1:1 roomscale VR, most of which are caused by software at that. And your higher sensitivity would probably be useful to people researching sickness triggers too :p

I don't think it's DOA, but growth is pretty damned slow.

Less than 100K units/month worldwide is not exactly an "Eat crow you doubting motherfuckers!" moment. If any other hardware platform (Switch, Xbox One) had sales like that there would be plenty of people here digging its grave.

Those are primary platforms for their respective companies though. The PSVR is a device that needs another $249-$399 base hardware to run. It's not mass market level pricing either so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

I was wondering about all the japanese PSVR games at TGS (like zoe2). Now I know. Summer lessons probably helped. lol.

RE7 is incredibleeeee!

border

Those are primary platforms for their respective companies though. The PSVR is a device that needs another $249-$399 base hardware to run. It's not mass market level pricing either so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

If you need a more Apples-to-Apples comparison, Kinect died a pretty swift death despite selling over 20 million units. If developers don't know what to do with a secondary platform and consumers aren't really thrilled and excited, then sometimes not even decent sales are enough.

hawk2025

If you need a more Apples-to-Apples comparison, Kinect died a pretty swift death despite selling over 20 million units. If developers don't know what to do with a secondary platform and consumers aren't really thrilled and excited, then sometimes not even decent sales are enough.

True.

Thankfully, there were more compelling VR games day one than Kinect got in half a decade.

Kinect was already underwhelming from a dev perspective right off the bat and never picked up. Meanwhile, on the consumer side, flash-in-the-pan pap like Kinect Sports faded.

The whole uptake adoption path of VR has been completely different and organic, IMO.

Oculus is listed as Facebook and has 11.6%. It's noted that the price cut helped it jump over Vive.
Ah you're right. Not sure how I missed that.

No idea. MS sure isn't being vocal enough about it if that is the case, which indicates lack of enthusiasm/backing. Throwaway support like "yeah our console is capable... we don't have much to show for it though" isn't going to help the overall medium
MS is now saying there will be no VR for Xbox One X until they can deliver a wireless solution.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/15/15805256/microsoft-vr-xbox-one-x

when would be a good time to release psvr2? 2019/20 at the same time as ps5 launch? not sure if that's a good idea. it's only benn 3 or 4 years since psvr1 launched. and people just spent their money on PS5 hardware and games, asking them to buy psvr2 (with probably new camera and controller) might be too much.

when would be a good time to release psvr2? 2019/20 at the same time as ps5 launch? not sure if that's a good idea. it's only benn 3 or 4 years since psvr1 launched. and people just spent their money on PS5 hardware and games, asking them to buy psvr2 (with probably new camera and controller) might be too much.

PSVR 2 needs to be in the box with ps5 imo. Too much fragmentation of the consumer base leads to tepid development and software drought and it's a feedback loop that only a once in a generation title could pull you out of. Especially when you consider the novelty of the VR experience won't be a selling point on round 2.

PSVR 2 needs to be in the box with ps5 imo. Too much fragmentation of the consumer base leads to tepid development and software drought and it's a feedback loop that only a once in a generation title could pull you out of. Especially when you consider the novelty of the VR experience won't be a selling point on round 2.

That would be a great way to kill PS5 as a whole. Just look how pissed people were about paying for a Kinect they didn't want.

The bolded is absolutely not true. Are you completely unaware of what Oculus have been funding and releasing, and they have a storefront that is literally 100% VR content across two different device families (including the overall leader),

Unlike most of the console exclusive stuff we see in regular games, I seriously doubt a lot of that VR functionality would even exist without Sony throwing their money and influence around, especially from Japanese devs.

kyser73

Ah, PCVRGaf here with the salt.

Tell me again how PC will obviously be the biggest market for VR.

Surely with the 000s of developers able to access the open platform Sony locking RE7VR up for a year won't make any difference?

N21

Waiting for a new player to enter the VR ring is madness. I assume MS is waiting to see who falls first.

Fun-fact: Due to it being bundled with the X1, Kinect sold 1 million in a day or week(I think) in the NA.

bedlamite

PSVR prices are steadily dropping and I'm very tempted to get a set but the library isn't quite there yet. Aside from Farpoint and Superhot nothing else interests me, and 2 games isnt quite enough to make that kind of investment. I just need 1 or 2 more games that I want and I'm definitely there, hopefully before the end of the year!

I'm really curious to see how Oculus is doing since the $400 pricing. I hope it helped move a serious amount of units.

Just as a general discussion about them saying they aren't comfortable being the market leader by so much. Given the platform and tech.

border

Kinect was already underwhelming from a dev perspective right off the bat and never picked up. Meanwhile, on the consumer side, flash-in-the-pan pap like Kinect Sports faded.

The whole uptake adoption path of VR has been completely different and organic, IMO.

I guess you could say the PSVR audience has deeper and more engaged interest in the product, whereas Kinect's audience was more just people interested in it as a novelty toy.

That said, I'm not sure whether the enthusiasm for PSVR is really going to be that contagious. It's a very tough device to sell to mainstream audiences......especially if (like the Vita) it's going to have to be carried largely by smaller indie titles.

PSVR prices are steadily dropping and I'm very tempted to get a set but the library isn't quite there yet. Aside from Farpoint and Superhot nothing else interests me, and 2 games isnt quite enough to make that kind of investment. I just need 1 or 2 more games that I want and I'm definitely there, hopefully before the end of the year!

have you been to PSVR thread? there's actually a lot more PSVR titles than I thought. they're from small indies studio, sure, but some of them looks interesting. they just never have the exposure or marketing of other well known vr titles.

I guess you could say the PSVR audience has deeper and more engaged interest in the product, whereas Kinect's audience was more just people interested in it as a novelty toy.

That said, I'm not sure whether the enthusiasm for PSVR is really going to be that contagious. It's a very tough device to sell to mainstream audiences......especially if (like the Vita) it's going to have to be carried largely by smaller indie titles.

As much as we gripe at bethesda for making Skyrim a million times, I think it's a very important VR game. It'll be interesting to see how it sells and what kind of feedback it recieves. I think currently Fallout 4 VR, Doom VFR and Skyrim VR are the most important VR games in the pipeline.

AmyS

I'd say, absolutely no longer than 12 months (maximum) after PS5's release date, assuming they don't release at the same time, and I'd say that releasing at almost the same time is possible.

Note that PSVR released 35 months after PS4 came out: November 15th 2013 ---> October 13th 2016.

As much as we gripe at bethesda for making Skyrim a million times, I think it's a very important VR game. It'll be interesting to see how it sells and what kind of feedback it recieves. I think currently Fallout 4 VR, Doom VFR and Skyrim VR are the most important VR games in the pipeline.

I like that Zone of Ender got full game VR treatment. I think this could be a good way to go for a while. they're PS2 games, so it's easy enough to get solid framerate on current gen console.

I'd love to see more PS2/PS3 classics got VR remastered version.

Top Bottom