• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 sold 270,000 units it's first month according to IDC data department

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see this posted anywhere so I though it was interesting. The head of the IDC data tracking posted on social media the following:

According to him, Sony's second PlayStation VR has sold 270,000 units which is pretty good considering the lack of carry over effect from VR being a newly revived medium 8 years ago being absent this time.

To put this into perspective here is the first month of the first PlayStation VR compared to other headsets.

VR-headsets-sold-in-2016-without-Cardboard-SuperData-700x305.jpg

270,000 compared to 745,000 may seem big at first but remember, the PlayStation VR 2 came out in February and the holidays are far away, while the original VR was not far from the Black Friday shopping season. The cost is also a factor.

When you consider that, the PlayStation VR2 is doing pretty damn good.

Remember the first PlayStation VR only had higher sales up front because VR was new for a whole new generation of people back in 2016. It had been over 20 years since the 1990 era of VR died and as you can see there was more competition and the market was booming.

PlayStation VR 2 selling this well in a somber market shows growth is returning. Sony has only just started picking up the pace on the headset so there's still a good chance that the headset could sell as well or outdue it's predecessor in its first quarter.

I believe that 2mill is possible by the end of the year, possibly more, depending on what major software Sony is scheduled to put out over the next few months.

Meanwhile no one else has a solid release date for their headsets, so Sony is going to have the entire first half of the year to itself! Sony was smart to release in February.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I think they expected much more. Bloomberg said they produced 2 million by March and they also had a ticket system for a very short period of time until they droped it and everybody could pre-order.

It might help if they actually start selling them in stores. I a lot of countries they only sell through their own direct store which sucks to be honest.
I think they expected much more. Bloomberg said they produced 2 million by March and they also had a ticket system for a very short period of time until they droped it and everybody could pre-order.
Bloomberg claims a lot of BS though.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I didn't see this posted anywhere so I though it was interesting. The head of the IDC data tracking posted on social media the following:

According to him, Sony's second PlayStation VR has sold 270,000 units which is pretty good considering the lack of carry over effect from VR being a newly revived medium 8 years ago being absent this time.

To put this into perspective here is the first month of the first PlayStation VR compared to other headsets.

VR-headsets-sold-in-2016-without-Cardboard-SuperData-700x305.jpg

270,000 compared to 745,000 may seem big at first but remember, the PlayStation VR 2 came out in February and the holidays are far away, while the original VR was not far from the Black Friday shopping season. The cost is also a factor.

When you consider that, the PlayStation VR2 is doing pretty damn good.

Remember the first PlayStation VR only had higher sales up front because VR was new for a whole new generation of people back in 2016. It had been over 20 years since the 1990 era of VR died and as you can see there was more competition and the market was booming.

I’m sorry, but this narrative just seems entirely founded on hope and positivity.

Nobody expected this to do worse than the first PSVR which was relatively low powered, cumbersome and launched with a smaller slate of titles.

PlayStation VR 2 selling this well in a somber market shows growth is returning. Sony has only just started picking up the pace on the headset so there's still a good chance that the headset could sell as well or outdue it's predecessor in its first quarter.

What does this even mean, ‘picking up the pace’? This estimate includes the bulk of the early adopters and hardcore VR fans who preordered or bought day one.

It’s not likely to outdo its predecessor this first quarter.

All the talk about ‘somber market’ and yet PS5 hardware and $70 titles like Hogwarts Legacy are selling record numbers.

I believe that 2mill is possible by the end of the year, possibly more, depending on what major software Sony is scheduled to put out over the next few months.

There is no major software scheduled for release in the next few months. They would have announced it by now if there was any coming soon.

Meanwhile no one else has a solid release date for their headsets, so Sony is going to have the entire first half of the year to itself! Sony was smart to release in February.

With no new AAA software coming soon, it’s hard to see where the sharp growth is coming from, ahead of more competition H2 2023 when the Quest 3 launches. Also expect some competition from whatever Apple is bringing to the table.

I bought a PSVR2 day one and I’m happy with my purchase but I think it’s l right to not underestimate the real challenges Sony will face in selling this to an audience wider than the PSVR.
I would push for more meaningful changes myself, like PC compatibility, adding VR games to PS Plus/Plus Extra and more reasonable prices for VR software.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Might be an even harder sell when Quest 3 comes out and there’s actual competition on the segment.

It’s a very good headset but standalone is just too much convenience.

Robb

Gold Member
Still hope for HL Alyx
Looking forward to RE4 Remake VR Update
That’s too few games to cut it though and while I think offering VR-versions of existing games is great and will move some people over I don’t think that’ll push the general public enough.

If the option is to play RE4 on the system you already have, or play a VR-version of that exact same game for an additional $600 the choice will be easy for most.

Moses85

That’s too few games to cut it though and while I think offering VR-versions of existing games is great and will move some people over I don’t think that’ll push the general public enough.

If the option is to play RE4 on the system you already have, or play a VR-version of that exact same game for an additional $600 the choice will be easy for most.
Playing RE4 in VR is like playing a new Game.

shaddam

I waiting for the first bigger sale (Or I might be buy from somebody second hand like VR1). Hopefully at that time it will support pc (unofficially) so I can try some waifu simulator too

Now that PS5 supply has improved, I imagine the PSVR 2 will really start to build in sales during the next Christmas period as the perfect accompaniment to the console. It’s going to be pretty slow until then I reckon.
doubt
Most people getting VR now or in the forseeable future probably had their PS5 for longer, are the early adopters of new tech. The real casuals, probably will wait for price drops of the PS5, whenever or even if that happens in a substantial manner anytime soon, let alone paying even more for the "perfect" accessory on top of that.

reksveks

Will just wait to see if they give any info in the next earnings call.

Obviously this is largely irrelevant because its very dependent on Sony's expectations.

Mahavastu

That's pretty good though.
No its not! If that 270k number is even remotely true, then this could only be described as total desaster.
To build a successful plattform you need sales high enough to make it attractive for devs to support your platform with games. With less then 300k in unit sales in the launch month it would just not possible to do that.

Anyway, I doubt that number, it is just way too low... I saw a certain hype, a pretty good launch lineup, a lot of good reviews, a lot of great "i am speechless / impressed" youtube videos

But then, Sony did a very low level marketing, so that probably many potential buyers do not know enough about PSVR2 and why they should buy it.
In its most important markets PSVR2 was only available directly via Sony, and many prefer to buy in local stores or via Amazon and similar online shops. And it was not compatible to the PSVR1, which probably pissed of many potential buyers...

I wait for official sales numbers, because that 270k figure is soo low that I only believe it when I see it from Sony or another source which does more then guessing.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Now that PS5 supply has improved, I imagine the PSVR 2 will really start to build in sales during the next Christmas period as the perfect accompaniment to the console. It’s going to be pretty slow until then I reckon.
Those who REALLY buy a lot of games and spend a lot of money most likely already have the PS5 since a loooong time.
You saw that even in the early dark days of PS5, when only a small number of units were sold, for many games the PS5 version already outsold the PS4 version by a huge margin.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The chart (top of the page) doesn’t mention Quest 1 or 2.

Markio128

Those who REALLY buy a lot of games and spend a lot of money most likely already have the PS5 since a loooong time.
You saw that even in the early dark days of PS5, when only a small number of units were sold, for many games the PS5 version already outsold the PS4 version by a huge margin.
The point I’m trying to make is that there will be a lot more PS5 owners by the holiday, so a PSVR 2 as a holiday gift is not out of the realms of possibility.

Minsc

Gold Member

The $550 fee is a one-time expense though. You don't need to pay it each time you buy a VR game.

So if it's not just RE4 VR Mode vs RE4, but 55 other AAA games as well that now have VR modes - the fee becomes $10 instead of $550 per game. Plus maybe it goes on sale to under $300 down the road or something then it's under $5 per game.

The other thing that needs to happen is Sony needs to work on getting VR mode to drop same day. If GT8 is like GT7 but the VR support is there from day one, the oh I already played it and finished it arguments pretty much disappear since you now are choosing to ignore/spoil the VR version as it's no longer anything you need to wait for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom