• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

AzaK

How the hell are we supposed to play any SERIOUS racing game, when you cant dose gass/brakes (ie a game like forza or gt).
Serious racing car gamers would use a wheel and pedals.

It can but then you loose the capacity to look around with the right stick.
Motion

I really feel that no analog triggers are just a notch above "completely irrelevant" in the scheme of things.

netBuff

Serious racing car gamers would use a wheel and pedals.

Absolutely not, why buy a wheel and paddle when controllers are much better for most racing games? Or are you seriously going to play Need for Speed: Most Wanted with a wheel?

Motion

I really feel that no analog triggers are just a notch above "completely irrelevant" in the scheme of things.

Motion is not a reasonable replacement for analogue triggers.

The lack of analogue triggers isn't irrelevant, it has a huge impact on a number of genres - as well restricting options for GameCube emulation.

I'm not a "serious" racing gamer, so don't murder me if this suggestion is offensively bad, but is there a particular reason the right analogue stick couldn't be used in place of a trigger?

Because with such a setup you can't brake and accelerate at the same time. It is also completely impractical, just think of open-world games like GTA. Losing camera control is much too severe a drawback.

AzaK

Absolutely not, why buy a wheel and paddle when controllers are much better for most racing games? Or are you seriously going to play Need for Speed: Most Wanted with a wheel?

Motion is not a reasonable replacement for analogue triggers.

The lack of analogue triggers isn't irrelevant, it has a huge impact on a number of genres - as well restricting options for GameCube emulation.

My comment about Motion was to do with looking out a window. I am not a huge car racing fan, I'll be honest, but when I do play I very rarely actually use the analog nature of the trigger. It's all or nothing and I twiddle the accel<->brake if I need to manage that.

Anyway, not trying to say it's not worth it to some but I really don't think it's going to be that much of an issue in the end.

This is all true, however it's also true that digital buttons are better in some situations. Not as much better as analogue trigger are for racing games, but i'm not going to miss analogue triggers when I'm playing an FPS. I'm going to be glad for the digital buttons under those circumstances.

For arcade styled racing games, but for any sim-styled and sim-arcade racing games a wheel/peddle setup is almost always necessary.

For instance, I am sure as shit not going to play Project CARs with a controller, which is the main Wii U game I'm looking forward to. Or the F1 series.

wsippel

Banned
Because with such a setup you can't brake and accelerate at the same time. It is also completely impractical, just think of open-world games like GTA. Losing camera control is much too severe a drawback.
When would you ever brake and accelerate at the same time? In a real car, you use the same foot for both.

I guess games will use one stick to accelerate and brake, one stick to move the camera, and the gyro to steer, which should work pretty well as the hands are much further apart compared to regular controllers.

zroid

Banned
When would you ever brake and accelerate at the same time? In a real car, you use the same foot for both.

I guess games will use one stick to accelerate and brake, one stick to move the camera, and the gyro to steer, which should work pretty well as the hands are much further apart compared to regular controllers.

I couldn't describe why, but for racing sims at least, I believe simultaneous braking and accelerating is a valuable technique. Hadn't thought of it before as I don't actually play such games.

japtor

Left foot braking is a thing. I do it cause I'm just used to it now*, but in terms of racing it's used for messing with weight transfer in turns (and other techniques that are beyond my knowledge) and otherwise just a way to be quicker on both pedals. Depending on the engine and gearing and track it could also be used as a way to keep the revs up in the optimal power band while braking without having to shift down to a non ideal gear. There's a bunch of random stuff it's used for. (Edit-There's even a Wikipedia article on it!)

*Might as well use that left foot for something since I'm not driving a manual...I also had a fun experience back when I drove like a normal person, where the right edge of my sole was pushing the gas while braking once. I had messed with left foot braking before that, but at that point I figured what the hell, might as well do it full time.

As for games I've never gotten a handle on the whole right stick camera thing myself, I've been used to having my thumb on the face buttons to shift so the camera stick was always awkward to use. I could use the bumpers to shift but then the triggers would feel awkward since I'd have to use my middle fingers for them. For PCars I guess I'd try tilt steer with a stick each for gas and brake, triggers to shift. A physical mount to fix the turning axis (like a normal wheel) would be useful for that, and ideally pedals if they're an affordable option. Or I'd just deal with digital gas/brake and assume the game was tested with them to be playable.

wsippel

Banned
Left foot braking is a thing. I do it cause I'm just used to it now*, but in terms of racing it's used for messing with weight transfer in turns (and other techniques that are beyond my knowledge) and otherwise just a way to be quicker on both pedals. Depending on the engine and gearing and track it could also be used as a way to keep the revs up in the optimal power band while braking without having to shift down to a non ideal gear. There's a bunch of random stuff it's used for. (Edit-There's even a Wikipedia article on it!)
Yeah, I thought about that after posting. Though I'd only want a free camera in games like GTA or Saint's Row, where the driving physics aren't really advanced enough to require such techniques to begin with. In a real racing game, I'd probably use one stick to accelerate and the other to brake as I never use a free camera in such games.

Either way, I think there are acceptable solutions. Still don't get why Nintendo omitted analog triggers in the first place. Pretty stupid decision.

zoukka

This is all true, however it's also true that digital buttons are better in some situations. Not as much better as analogue trigger are for racing games, but i'm not going to miss analogue triggers when I'm playing an FPS. I'm going to be glad for the digital buttons under those circumstances.

Analog triggers can function as digital triggers. The other way around is not true. There is no added value in digital triggers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not a "serious" racing gamer, so don't murder me if this suggestion is offensively bad, but is there a particular reason the right analogue stick couldn't be used in place of a trigger?

sometimes you want to be able to brake while still partly on the power. Can't do that with the right stick.

For arcade racers it shouldn't be a big deal, you can mitigate digital throttle/brake with how you apply it

D-e-f-

Banned
sometimes you want to be able to brake while still partly on the power. Can't do that with the right stick.

For arcade racers it shouldn't be a big deal, you can mitigate digital throttle/brake with how you apply it

Just put the brake on the regular old trigger. Or is analog break now also essential? Sorry, I don't play racing sims so I don't know if that's useful.

King_Moc

Banned
Analog triggers can function as digital triggers. The other way around is not true. There is no added value in digital triggers.

One of each is best, much like the 360 pad i think. Gamecube was close too. If only there were two (non-shitty) z triggers.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Not really press preview but I found some footage of Assassin's Creed 3 from the Wii U Tour in Berlin.

It's kind of hard to see but it looks like it runs fairly well at that segment.

Sorry if it's been already reported, Arkham city has atm 5 reviews, IGN giving it a stunning 95.

BTW atm Arkham city is the second best reviewed Wii U game, very close to NSMBU, and J dare say no one would have predicted it some time ago, seeing negative hands-on of the beta version.

Edit: actually both games appear to have a MetaCritic score of 84 so far.

IGN has also put reviews of Scribblenauts unlimited (8.8/10) and Darksiders II(7.5/10).

Waiting for other reviews to spring out, not bad at all all things being considered for now, but some scores may be affected from the hype aroused by the new console so it will take some time to have a more objective overview.

Top Bottom