• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Hasney

You know the feature that should be on the Network day 1 but probably isn't?

Have the whole shows broken down by chapters and the chapters are each match / segment, and fans can create their own "Best Of" playlist.

Then you could have every unedited section of the rise of Stone Cold and then his rivalry with Vince right up until he's run down at Survivor Series. Just watch every second of build and it would be fantastic.

foltzie1

They need a million buys to break even since they are paying $120 million a year to MLB Network to take care of the streaming. I think 700,000 is a realistic number for them to expect in the first year. The trial week will probably have over a million people trying it out but I suspect that a lot of them will cancel because content is not available that they want or they just won't pay $9.99 a month. When the network goes world wide though I could easily see it having over a million buy's and being a very good revenue source for the company.

As for the tv deal I don't see any chance in hell they can double their rights. Maybe they go from $130 million a year to like $175 million a year but I don't see anyone getting into a bidding war with NBC. The E should be happy with that at this point anyways. The rating have consistently slipped through this contract. The advertising issue is also something that weighs heavily against WWE. I'm sure there will be spin control but this will be a rocky year for investors. The company will be fine long term though as more markets become available to the network.

What is the source for the $120M quote to MLB media for streaming? That seems rather high and a price the WWE.

I didn't know WWE was using MLB Network to take care of this. All the MLB streaming works incredibly well on all devices and looks great.

The only difference is those entities have had an increase in ratings and can provide the networks with very good ad revenue. The WWE while a consistent draw in the ratings doesn't come close to live sports in either regard. I just don't see how they'll get signed for for double what they are getting now if whoever signs them can't make their money back.

I tweeted @askwwenetwork why they have decreased the number of on demand content from 1500 hours to 1000 hours. No response from those bastards yet.
Other sports ratings are also going down too like mlb and nba but they are signing for insane amounts of cash. It'the live tv premium, something WWE will be able to benefit from.

Other sports ratings are also going down too like mlb and nba but they are signing for insane amounts of cash. It'the live tv premium, something WWE will be able to benefit from.

They're able to sign those huge deals because the advertising dollars that the networks get while airing them have increased exponentially. Unfortunately for WWE they just don't get that kind of ad money for their programming. Major sports leagues get Budweiser, Apple, Google, and Car Companies to advertise during their games. WWE get's candy companies, Auto Zone, and kids toy's on their show's. The money just isn't the same. Vince could pull a rabbit out of his hat and double his contract but I just don't see someone paying it when they won't make it back.

Kaladin

Then you could have every unedited section of the rise of Stone Cold and then his rivalry with Vince right up until he's run down at Survivor Series. Just watch every second of build and it would be fantastic.

I willing to bet they make that happen eventually. They're probably hesitant because it will hurt their DVD / Blu-ray comp business and force them to provide more original content with their collection of matches.

Kaladin

So will WWE Network have this Sundays PPV next week?

The complete list only goes up to the Royal Rumble PPV. I'm assuming they have to wait for Elimination Chamber to give PPV providers their time to run replays like they normally do. It's the last PPV on the current PPV format and they probably have a contract for it to be PPV exclusive for X # of days....you'll probably get Elimination Chamber in March.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/every-pay-per-view-on-wwe-network-26179147

They're able to sign those huge deals because the advertising dollars that the networks get while airing them have increased exponentially. Unfortunately for WWE they just don't get that kind of ad money for their programming. Major sports leagues get Budweiser, Apple, Google, and Car Companies to advertise during their games. WWE get's candy companies, Auto Zone, and kids toy's on their show's. The money just isn't the same. Vince could pull a rabbit out of his hat and double his contract but I just don't see someone paying it when they won't make it back.
Of course but these sports leagues are making billions a year on tv deal. We're talking a fraction of that for 300 million. Forbes thinks it's worth up to 850 million so they will definitely get more than 175 million.

Psykoboy2

Have the whole shows broken down by chapters and the chapters are each match / segment, and fans can create their own "Best Of" playlist.

That was my hope as well. To go through their roster, pick a wrestler and just watch their matches from the beginning of their career to where ever they ended up or whatever.

I was also glad to see that the Hall Of Fame ceremony will air live, uncut, on the network.

And, recently, it was announced that you could have a main account and a second account you could give to a friend. So, officially, one price for two people. Unofficially, it'll probably be a lot more.

joelseph

Did the WWE do this to themselves by making the show PG? Can't we sell to the parents? I'm coming to this as a new fan at the ripe age of 34, give me the December to Remembers and Diamonds are Forever nonsense.

Aiii

So not worth it
If you guys are hyped for anything on the Network it should be this:
0dbwf.jpg

Arooguy

Hmm. I wish WWE would have PPVs how they were back then. Just Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, Wrestlemania and Survivor Series would be great. Thought KOTR was great too at times.

Maybe it is nostalgia, actually, I'm pretty sure its nostalgia, but I felt when WWE only had RAW, Superstars on the weekend and then a PPV every few months that their product was pretty strong.

I say its strong because if you are a writer in current WWE... look at all the non sense you have to write now. RAW, Smackdown, maybe NXT and the other off shot shows. A PPV almost every month. Geez. Cutting off tons of the fat would be beneficial for them I think. Though doesn't WWE still go crazy with their house show circuit? So the poor wrestlers hardly get a break and etc...

I'm very entitled. So I hope they have every single RAW right off the bat. =p

I agree that they definitely could benefit off of trimming the fat. They could probably still do 12 months of PPVs, but they should have one weekly show, RAW, that's it. It would be a lot easier for the writers, it would give talent more recovery time, it would give WWE more focus and for hardcore fans who need their wrestling fix more than once a week, there is now WWE Network with original programming and the ability to play back classic shows.

bigkrev

Hmm. I wish WWE would have PPVs how they were back then. Just Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, Wrestlemania and Survivor Series would be great. Thought KOTR was great too at times.

Maybe it is nostalgia, actually, I'm pretty sure its nostalgia, but I felt when WWE only had RAW, Superstars on the weekend and then a PPV every few months that their product was pretty strong.

I say its strong because if you are a writer in current WWE... look at all the non sense you have to write now. RAW, Smackdown, maybe NXT and the other off shot shows. A PPV almost every month. Geez. Cutting off tons of the fat would be beneficial for them I think. Though doesn't WWE still go crazy with their house show circuit? So the poor wrestlers hardly get a break and etc...

I'm very entitled. So I hope they have every single RAW right off the bat. =p

Back then, Raw was a 1 hour show. By the time the show was 2 hours long in 1997, they were already running monthly In Your House PPVs. There was just a lot less wrestling back in the day, which is why PPVs seemed important- it was the only time you got to see guys like Hogan work anything more than a squash match on TV!

Now, we are in an era of 3 hour Raws, 2 hour Smackdowns, and 1 hour Main Event making 6 hours of first run programming every week. If you cut down to anything less than 12 PPVs a year now, it would be brutal- feuds already seem to drag out, it would be so much worse with fewer PPVs.

Hasney

Back then, Raw was a 1 hour show. By the time the show was 2 hours long in 1997, they were already running monthly In Your House PPVs. There was just a lot less wrestling back in the day, which is why PPVs seemed important- it was the only time you got to see guys like Hogan work anything more than a squash match on TV!

Now, we are in an era of 3 hour Raws, 2 hour Smackdowns, and 1 hour Main Event making 6 hours of first run programming every week. If you cut down to anything less than 12 PPVs a year now, it would be brutal- feuds already seem to drag out, it would be so much worse with fewer PPVs.

Not if they knew how to book them right and actually bothered writing things for the top and bottom of the card. I mean just look at the Shield V Wyatts build. Other than that stupid brawl at the end of Raw, it was going on perfect and you quite easily could have dragged that out 3 months or so just with their promos and interactions. Hell, even if they still had 12 month PPVs, they could build 2 things for one guy/group at a time if the booking was up to scratch. You could have one long game and one short PPV game.

They should have been doing this with Cena and the Wyatts really, but they've ignored each other until after Elimination Chamber, which seems silly.

bigkrev

Not if they knew how to book them right and actually bothered writing things for the top and bottom of the card. I mean just look at the Shield V Wyatts build. Other than that stupid brawl at the end of Raw, it was going on perfect and you quite easily could have dragged that out 3 months or so just with their promos and interactions. Hell, even if they still had 12 month PPVs, they could build 2 things for one guy/group at a time if the booking was up to scratch. You could have one long game and one short PPV game.

They should have been doing this with Cena and the Wyatts really, but they've ignored each other until after Elimination Chamber, which seems silly.

Here is the thing- what is left for the Wyatts and Shield to do before the match? It's way harder to book 12 weeks of this where neither team touches each other and not have it come across as boring than you think it is.

OnPoint

I agree that they definitely could benefit off of trimming the fat. They could probably still do 12 months of PPVs, but they should have one weekly show, RAW, that's it. It would be a lot easier for the writers, it would give talent more recovery time, it would give WWE more focus and for hardcore fans who need their wrestling fix more than once a week, there is now WWE Network with original programming and the ability to play back classic shows.

I have highlighted the important parts. The talent needs a bit more breathing room, and the storylines could definitely use some actual direction.

Downhome

Supposedly no.

Would have to wait a month.

Yeah, that's been the rumor all along.

However, if multiple services don't end up offering it for order then I could easily see WWE posting the PPV when it launches as freebie to make up for people not being able to order it the night before. They certainly wont announce that before the PPV though, so who knows.

Hasney

Got next week off work so I may watch EC LIVE.

Think we all know the ending of the main event, but I'm interested to see how strong they let Bryan and Cesaro look.

Showaddy

Got next week off work so I may watch EC LIVE.

Think we all know the ending of the main event, but I'm interested to see how strong they let Bryan and Cesaro look.

Cesaro get's a massive rub. Bryan get's buried. IWC fans don't know whether to cheer or cry.

Any word on if/when this drops on XBox One?

yep, would be great

Son Of D

Oh god, it takes them long enough to explain how to download the app on iOS and Android as it is.

Just wait until the network launches and there's a tutorial between matches and promos. I'm also expecting it to be plugged during matches as well, like if during Cena vs Orton #243 Cole says "John Cena and Randy Orton have been in many fierce matches in the past, relive them all now on the WWE Network for just $9.99 a month."

Penguin

Press Release... thought it went live AFTER Raw, but content will be available from the 24th in the morning?

WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 streaming network, has unveiled its programming lineup, which is highlighted by WrestleMania® 30 on Sunday, April 6 at 7 pm ET live from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

In addition, for the first time ever, the WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air live in its entirety on Saturday, April 5 at 9 pm ET on WWE Network. This year’s current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Lita. A one-hour special will also air on USA Network on Monday, April 7, immediately following Monday Night Raw®.

WWE Network will officially launch on Monday, February 24 at 9 am ET and fans will instantly have access to live programming and the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library upon signing up exclusively at WWE.com.

WWE Network will be available through the WWE App on TV via connected devices including Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation® 3, Sony PlayStation® 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on iOS devices, including Apple iPad and iPhone, Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices and Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.

The programming line-up on WWE Network includes:

WrestleMania 30

WWE’s pop-culture extravaganza, WrestleMania 30, will air live on Sunday, April 6 at 7 pm ET from New Orleans. More than 70,000 fans from all 50 states and more than 30 countries are expected to converge on the Mercedes-Benz Superdome with millions more watching around the world. Current WWE Superstars will be joined by a host of WWE Legends for a celebration 30 years in the making.

WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

For the first time ever, the 2014 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air live in its entirety on WWE Network on Saturday, April 5 at 9 pm ET from the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans. This year’s current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Lita.

Live Monday Night Raw Pre-Show and WWE Raw Backstage Pass

A live, 30-minute RawPre-Show will air each week and premieres on Monday, February 24 at 7:30 pm ET.

WWE Raw Backstage Pass will air live each week immediately following Monday Night Raw, providing analysis of the night’s action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Monday, February 24 at 11:05 pm ET.

Friday Night SmackDown® Pre-Show and WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass

A 30-minute pre-show for SmackDown will air each week and premieres on Friday, February 28 at 7:30 pm ET.

WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass will air each week immediately following SmackDown, providing analysis of the night’s action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Friday, February 28 at 10 pm ET.

WrestleMania® Rewind

WrestleMania® Rewind will provide fans with a comprehensive look back at the most groundbreaking matches and dramatic moments in WrestleMania history. The series premieres on Tuesday, February 25 at 9 pm ET with a sneak peek on Monday, February 24 at 9 am ET.

WWE Countdown™

A one-hour, groundbreaking, interactive, countdown series that will put the power squarely in viewers’ hands by giving the audience the chance to discuss and rank WWE’s most spectacular Superstars, unexpected moments, best catch phrases and more through digital polling and social media interaction. The series premieres on Tuesday, February 25 at 10 pm ET with a sneak peek on Monday, February 24 at 10 am ET.

WWE Legends’ House™

WWE’s greatest Legends reunite for a new title – only this time, they’re competing outside of the ring. Imagine a beautiful house in the suburbs – perfectly furnished, with gorgeous landscaping, a lovely pool and quiet, respectable neighbors. WWE Superstars from the past including Rowdy Roddy Piper, Tony Atlas and Hacksaw Jim Duggan will turn the neighborhood upside down as the house staff tries their best to keep these Legends on time, on speaking terms, and out of trouble in this new reality show. The series premieres on Thursday, April 10 at 8 pm ET.

This is NXT®

A one-hour special that will take viewers inside the action-packed world of tomorrow’s WWE’s Superstars as they aspire to become the future of WWE. Featuring behind-the-scenes moments and in-ring action from WWE’s Performance Center, fans will get up close and personal with the next generation of Superstars. The series premieres on Monday, February 24 at 11 am ET.

NXT ArRival™

WWE Network’s first live in-ring event will air on Thursday, February 27 at 8 pm ET. The live special will showcase the brightest and best of WWE’s rising stars from WWE’s Performance Center, as well as appearances by WWE Superstars John Cena®, Sheamus®, The New Age Outlaws and WWE Legends Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Thirty minutes prior to the event, the NXT ArRival Pre-Show will air at 7:30 pm ET and include exclusive interviews and appearances by NXT Superstars, WWE Superstars and Legends.

WWE NXT®

Each Thursday at 9 pm ET, WWE Superstars and Divas of tomorrow face off on WWE NXT, a one-hour, weekly show that features the brightest and best of WWE’s rising stars. WWE NXT showcases the Superstars and Divas from WWE’s Performance Center as well as appearances from WWE Superstars and Legends in an intimate setting. WWE NXT broadcasts from the state-of-the-art Full Sail LIVE venue on the Full Sail University campus in Orlando, Florida. The series premieres on Thursday, March 6 at 9 pm ET.

WWE Superstars®

A one-hour, weekly show highlighting the best of WWE Superstars and Divas in heart-pounding matches. The show will also feature highlights from all WWE programming, as well as a special glimpse at everything going on in the WWE Universe. The series premieres on Thursday, February 27 at 10 pm ET.

Beyond the Ring™

An all-access pass to the fast-paced action of WWE’s home video library. With classic matches and groundbreaking biographies of WWE Legends, fans will have all the action from WCW®, AWA®, ECW® and WWE right at their fingertips. The series premieres on Saturday, March 1 at 8 pm ET.

Best of Raw

Every Wednesday at 9 pm ET, Best of Raw will feature the most memorable episodes from the longest-running weekly episodic show in television history. Each week, see some of the most incredible matches and controversial moments featured over the years on Monday Night Raw. The series premieres at a special date and time on Thursday, February 27 at 4:30 pm ET.

Best of SmackDown

For more than a decade, Friday Night SmackDown has brought amazing action and memorable moments to the WWE Universe. On Saturdays at 1 pm ET, WWE Network will showcase the most exciting episodes of SmackDown. The series premieres on Saturday, March 1 at 1 pm ET.

Expansive Video-On-Demand Library

In addition to live and original programming, fans will have access to the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library the instant they subscribe. WWE Network will offer all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views as well as encores of Raw and SmackDown® totaling more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch.

What they were saying before is that you could sign up starting at 9AM and then the first live event would be after Raw. I'm guessing you can still access the back catalog of content starting as soon as you sign up.

What they were saying before is that you could sign up starting at 9AM and then the first live event would be after Raw. I'm guessing you can still access the back catalog of content starting as soon as you sign up.

Yeah, the programmed stream doesn't begin until the Raw after show but the VOD content is available at 9:00 am.

Penguin

Yeah, the programmed stream doesn't begin until the Raw after show but the VOD content is available at 9:00 am.

But even THAT isn't true as the PR clearly says there will be a Raw pre-show that day.

As well as several sneak peaks starting at 10am.

Aiii

So not worth it
So will WWE Network have this Sundays PPV next week?

Not until 3/25, as per Wrestling Observer Newsletter:
The surprise is that the game is being played before WrestleMania, the first PPV after the Network launch. There is no undercutting of Elimination Chamber live, and WWE is going to live up to the terms of the previous contract by not putting the show on the network until 3/25. However, this has not been explained to the fan base, which has only been told all PPVs will be on the network starting on 2/24, and that would lead people to believe Elimination Chamber could be viewed free the next day in HD as opposed to spending $54.95 to see it live. WWE did not make that clear thus far in any of the build-up for the Chamber show, that for this show, it would only be available by traditional PPV methods. In a sense, by advertising “every PPV starting with WrestleMania,” that would seem to exclude Elimination Chamber, but not in a way that most fans understood.

Top Bottom