• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

So, will the attitude era be available?

I really want to just subscribe for few months and watch that era again.

But I am also in India, so will need to figure that part out too.

Liberty4all

Banned
I really think the WWE Network could be a landmark moment for the television industry looking back in 10 years if it works out the way they want it to. All the talk about how people want content providers to sell their content a la carte so they can stop paying absurd prices to cable companies. To this point content providers have been timid and scared to go out on a limb and be the first to defy the business model that has worked so well for the past, well, ever. If WWE does this and it succeeds to a great degree, I really think you could see companies like HBO, Showtime, etc. trying this model out of allowing people to subscribe without cable. And I think that is why cable companies have been threatening WWE, because they know what success of this model could mean for them. That's why DirecTV came out against it, and why Dish isn't carrying Elimination Chamber. Cable companies are so scared of the OTT method, so they are praying that this fails.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's how I see it.

no, I agree with you. If I could pay 9.99 a month to sub to a Sci FI channel I would.

this model is the future.

Snaku

Banned
I really think the WWE Network could be a landmark moment for the television industry looking back in 10 years if it works out the way they want it to. All the talk about how people want content providers to sell their content a la carte so they can stop paying absurd prices to cable companies. To this point content providers have been timid and scared to go out on a limb and be the first to defy the business model that has worked so well for the past, well, ever. If WWE does this and it succeeds to a great degree, I really think you could see companies like HBO, Showtime, etc. trying this model out of allowing people to subscribe without cable. And I think that is why cable companies have been threatening WWE, because they know what success of this model could mean for them. That's why DirecTV came out against it, and why Dish isn't carrying Elimination Chamber. Cable companies are so scared of the OTT method, so they are praying that this fails.

I'd be there day zero if HBO ever followed Vince's lead.

joelseph

There was a new new commercial running last night during Main Event that had no mention of RAW or Smackdown. Just thought it was odd they continue to edit, by this point we should have a bullet list of exactly how this is going to shake down.

Ithil

This is NXT®
A one-hour special that will take viewers inside the action-packed world of tomorrow’s WWE’s Superstars as they aspire to become the future of WWE. Featuring behind-the-scenes moments and in-ring action from WWE’s Performance Center, fans will get up close and personal with the next generation of Superstars. The series premieres on Monday, February 24 at 11 am ET.
Gimme gimme gimme.

Hex

Banned
I can not believe I am thinking of taking the plunge on this, but considering the PPVs pay for it there is really no reason not to do it.

Stuart444

If there's a way to give them money so we can subscribe (EG fake billing addresses ala Amazon) then Hola will probably work instantly. Only PC though, so will have to wait on unblock-us for app streaming.

I was thinking Hola might work as soon as I heard about this. Hope someone tests it out with the free trial when it launches. :)

krpiper

So I've never been a big wrestling fan but I did watch a bit during the attitude era (mid 90s?) will that be on replay?

and is it worth jumping into for someone who has no real knowledge of any wrestlers or anything?

Aiii

So not worth it
So I've never been a big wrestling fan but I did watch a bit during the attitude era (mid 90s?) will that be on replay?

and is it worth jumping into for someone who has no real knowledge of any wrestlers or anything?

All WWF, WCW and ECW PPV's will be on there, so you can pretty much see every major show from the late 90's. Also, they will have a show based on the Monday Night War, so they'll have retrospective and footage on that era as well.

You can certainly jump in, I would advise to start watching Raw though, to see if the product speaks to you before you spend 60 bucks.

Kaladin

20 years ago yesterday marks the 20 Year anniversary of my first live wrestling event. That show was WCW Superbrawl IV on February 20th, 1994 in Albany, GA. For whatever reason WCW decided to never release that on home video, so I have had to watch bad quality and grainy VHS rips of the PPV broadcast over the years. Well, in 3 days, I won't have to settle for that anymore. The WWE Network is making it available (along with every WCW PPV) in the best quality possible....for some reason all of this just dawned on me last night. I'm finally able to watch that show properly after all of these years. I'm beyond hyped now for this. Come on Monday.

Here is a promo for that show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb17wZZrqhk

Kaladin

I can't believe I didn't realize that show would be a part of "every WCW PPV" till just now. Seriously, the only thing out there right now is a shitty VHS rip that someone recorded off a bad broadcast of the PPV.

I'm psyched to really see this show for the first time since I was a kid.

Hasney

I can't believe I didn't realize that show would be a part of "every WCW PPV" till just now. Seriously, the only thing out there right now is a shitty VHS rip that someone recorded off a bad broadcast of the PPV.

I'm psyched to really see this show for the first time since I was a kid.

Same for me with Superbrawl III (I think, Vader/Sting strap match main event). Was the first wrestling I was ever exposed to and I had the official home video, but I wore that shit out too much. Can't wait.

Kaladin

Same for me with Superbrawl III (I think, Vader/Sting strap match main event). Was the first wrestling I was ever exposed to and I had the official home video, but I wore that shit out too much. Can't wait.

I really hope the build for that show is up there too. I don't anticipate WCW Saturday Night being in the launch content though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, there's not even a 1% chance there will be any full programs outside of the PPV's, original content and the weekly Best of Raw episode.

Hasney

I really hope the build for that show is up there too. I don't anticipate WCW Saturday Night being in the launch content though.

Yeah, I can imagine WCW Saturday Night being one of those "Shit, we need to put more content up" moments for them, which is a shame. That hour it was on terrestrial TV over here was apparently the only our I would actually sit down in my parents local pub.

Yeah, there's not even a 1% chance there will be any full programs outside of the PPV's, original content and the weekly Best of Raw episode.

Joey Styles tweeted and said every single episode of ECW Hardcore TV is up from launch.

Kaladin

I feel like the on demand content available at launch changes more often than Vince McMahon re-writes the script for Raw.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

That's what it's sounding like. I'm still in though. I'll be throwing up "Wrestlemania 3" from Pontiac, Michigan as my first viewing. Such a great Wrestlemania with tons of memorable matches(Steamboat vs Savage), Hulk and Andre....the amazing 90,000+ crowd.

krpiper

All WWF, WCW and ECW PPV's will be on there, so you can pretty much see every major show from the late 90's. Also, they will have a show based on the Monday Night War, so they'll have retrospective and footage on that era as well.

You can certainly jump in, I would advise to start watching Raw though, to see if the product speaks to you before you spend 60 bucks.

I thought it was $10 a month? And this is silly but where do I start? just by watching todays wrestling? Do I watch for the story? or for the "fighting"

Aiii

So not worth it
I thought it was $10 a month? And this is silly but where do I start? just by watching todays wrestling? Do I watch for the story? or for the "fighting"

WWE has a pretty decent mixture of both now actually.

There really is no point that's good to start, I dunno if you subscribe to Hulu, but they have 90-minute versions of Raw where you could start.

But I suppose you just start watching on Mondays and go from there. There's never really a good start- and end-point with WWE being on 52 weeks a year. So just jumping in is all you can do. There is a PPV this Sunday, Elimination Chamber, that's a good show to start and get your bearing and should have some good matches, the card is rather solid.

shoplifter

They've generally tended to point out that it's a 6-month commitment in the stuff I've seen. It hasn't been front and center, but it's been there.

I'm betting it will be clearly represented in the signup when it goes live.

I'm kinda sad, in looking at the PPV list, that the 1987 Great American Bash won't be available. I used to have that VHS and I was wanting to watch those two War Games matches again.

:(

Kaladin

I'm kinda sad, in looking at the PPV list, that the 1987 Great American Bash won't be available. I used to have that VHS and I was wanting to watch those two War Games matches again.

:(

You might be in luck. Those matches are on the War Games compilation and they have toyed with the idea of having the entire home video library on the service, though like everything VOD, it is a wait and see scenario.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

Since there is only one story in the WWE at any given time because of laziness and ineptitude, catching up on that won't be hard since most people are just thrown into random matches now.

Join team TNA, we got stories galore!

220px-Dixiecarter_salinas.jpg

Plus you get to watch this beautiful woman!

20 years ago yesterday marks the 20 Year anniversary of my first live wrestling event. That show was WCW Superbrawl IV on February 20th, 1994 in Albany, GA. For whatever reason WCW decided to never release that on home video, so I have had to watch bad quality and grainy VHS rips of the PPV broadcast over the years. Well, in 3 days, I won't have to settle for that anymore. The WWE Network is making it available (along with every WCW PPV) in the best quality possible....for some reason all of this just dawned on me last night. I'm finally able to watch that show properly after all of these years. I'm beyond hyped now for this. Come on Monday.

Here is a promo for that show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb17wZZrqhk

I have a VHS master of the live PPV airing of this show.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

you are right, EXCEPT that it needs simulcasting. the absolute lack of simulcasting in America not tied to a cable sub (because of fucking neilsens and ratings-based advertisement pricing) is crippling this country's ability to move forward with modern TV services.

WWE TV is by far the most advanced TV service being offered, except they are still allowing themselves to be shackled by those fucking nielsens... once they give Stone Cold's middle finger to those and actually start simulcasting, THAT will be the true start of the US TV revolution.

For those still asking, replays of RAW and SmackDown will not be available on the WWE Network. The Network FAQ states that only "the best of RAW and SmackDown from 2012 and 2013" will be available

Well this killed my interest big time. I'm one of those "cable cord cutters" so I have to resort to streams to watch RAW and Smackdown. I was hoping replays would be made available after the live shows but I guess its not happening.

Will The Kat showing her tits at Armageddon '99 be left in? And both those times Jacqueline's tits got exposed during those UK PPVs?

Sorta confused

So are the attitude era Raws not on the wwe network ?

Not on-demand at launch. They have a Monday Night War show. I presume they will post it all after that show finishes its' run in order to keep people watching. But it will definitely be there at some point.

Wait so it doesn't show raw or smackdown? or are you just talking about replays

Was never supposed to show them live, and it won't. They had announced that there would be replays in a similar vein to Hulu, but apparently that's not the case anymore.

strobogo

Banned
Look, I'm definitely going to sign up for this. Not even a question. I've been waiting for this since I was 6. But I am going to wait a few days and do the trial first. With a gift card VISA with no money on it.

Kaladin

This is the most hyped I've been for a Monday in as long as I can remember, and it has nothing to do with the actual Raw that night.

I cut a promo at work about how I was getting sick yesterday....we'll see if the angle goes anywhere.

Hasney

Not getting hyped in case there's no way for me to sign up yet being in the UK, but cautiously excited.

EDIT: If they don't accept a fake US billing address like Amazon does and there's no other way to subscribe, think I might try this: http://www.usunlocked.com/

Even with the loading fees, it should still work out fairly cheap.

Downhome

I cut a promo at work about how I was getting sick yesterday....we'll see if the angle goes anywhere.

Hahaha, I laid the same foundation as well. It sounded even more believable because my wife was sick last week for real.

My luck is I'll really get sick and just want to stay home and sleep.

Not getting hyped in case there's no way for me to sign up yet being in the UK, but cautiously excited.

EDIT: If they don't accept a fake US billing address like Amazon does and there's no other way to subscribe, think I might try this: http://www.usunlocked.com/

Even with the loading fees, it should still work out fairly cheap.

People in the announcement thread were saying to use virtual pre paid cards from services such as EntroPay. I think I am going to end up doing that and hope that it works over here!

Kaladin

Like I've said before, the content available with the network outside of every PPV and the original content seems to change as often as Vince rewrites Raw.

We won't know what is available until it is live.

Top Bottom