• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

http://store.steampowered.com/app/682960/Purgation/
Purgation just popped up on Steam for VR, coming to Vive this month

Its an indie horror adventure VR title. Seems we are getting more horror vr titles recently. Dont knock twice, Organ Quarter, Home Sweet Home for the next few weeks. Chain Man got released a short while ago, and Horror of the Deep gets VR support today

Paranormal Activity came out of early access as well, that's supposed to be very good.

The Chef

When I first got my Rift I was so completely overjoyed. It absolutely was everything I had hoped it would be. However, as time goes on I find myself being more and more frustrated with the thing each day.

Its become the norm now to experience some problem, whether it be major or minor, each time I sit down to play.

"Poor Tracking Quality"
For a while I began getting "Poor Tracking Quality" warnings on my sensors. So I invest in a dedicated Inateck PCI card that is recommended in the Troubleshooting guide. I was hopeful this would give me nothing but green lights across all my devices. On the contrary, the warning is often still there. The most infuriating thing about this is that this warning will just go away for no reason what so ever. I have changed nothing and all of a sudden tracking is good?
I have done exhaustive research on how to fix it and done every step and I am still plagued with the problem. Only time I can get it to go away when it is freaking out is a full reboot of my system.

Regarding that new PCI card I got. The headset refuses to acknowledge USB 3.0 on it. So in the end I have to plug my headset into my MB USB 3.0 port. Soooo at this point, having the dedicated PCI card has done nothing to improve my experience.

* Audio Problems
Mic not working, Audio just completely stopping after playing for a few minutes.
I had to follow a guide to disable all my other audio devices on my PC because the Rift I guess just gets bored of the audio channel its on and decides to switch to another one. So obnoxious.

* Steam VR & Oculus App conflicts
This shit right here...is infuriating.
I bought Star Trek Bridge Crew on Steam. But in order to play the game I can go about it 2 ways:

1st. I could open up Steam and turn on VR and then select the game from within the Steam app. Easy enough if that when I put my headset on after doing this it will freak out as to what to do. The rift thinks "Shit. Uhhh he's got Steam VR running but he just put his headset on so we HAVE to open the Oculus home screen too. Oh damnit, what do we show him??"
So at times, I get the Steam Home Screen. But then at times it refuses to do that and I find myself in the peaceful setting of the Oculus Home Screen. Which brings me to the 2nd option to play the game:

2nd: Well...now that its forcing me to use the Oculus home screen I guess I'll just select Star Trek Bridge Crew from inside here. Why isn't this working? What the hell? *clicks game again and again*.
I have to remove my headset. Let my controllers dangle awkwardly from my wrists while I alt tab to Steam and select "Yes allow Oculus to play this game"
...seriously. WTF is this shit.

As a new owner I have just truly realized that **nothing is easy** with this thing. Everything takes a few extra steps or a few tweaks to get just right.

And I'll tell you what. If I have to keep looking at these WARNING LOW TRACKING QUALITY signs much longer I may be just over this thing and get rid of it. Its agonizing to me when things dont just work as they should...

End rant.

When I first got my Rift I was so completely overjoyed. It absolutely was everything I had hoped it would be. However, as time goes on I find myself being more and more frustrated with the thing each day.

Its become the norm now to experience some problem, whether it be major or minor, each time I sit down to play.

"Poor Tracking Quality"
For a while I began getting "Poor Tracking Quality" warnings on my sensors. So I invest in a dedicated Inateck PCI card that is recommended in the Troubleshooting guide. I was hopeful this would give me nothing but green lights across all my devices. On the contrary, the warning is often still there. The most infuriating thing about this is that this warning will just go away for no reason what so ever. I have changed nothing and all of a sudden tracking is good?
I have done exhaustive research on how to fix it and done every step and I am still plagued with the problem. Only time I can get it to go away when it is freaking out is a full reboot of my system.

Regarding that new PCI card I got. The headset refuses to acknowledge USB 3.0 on it. So in the end I have to plug my headset into my MB USB 3.0 port. Soooo at this point, having the dedicated PCI card has done nothing to improve my experience.

* Audio Problems
Mic not working, Audio just completely stopping after playing for a few minutes.
I had to follow a guide to disable all my other audio devices on my PC because the Rift I guess just gets bored of the audio channel its on and decides to switch to another one. So obnoxious.

I bought Star Trek Bridge Crew on Steam. But in order to play the game I can go about it 2 ways:

1st. I could open up Steam and turn on VR and then select the game from within the Steam app. Easy enough if that when I put my headset on after doing this it will freak out as to what to do. The rift thinks "Shit. Uhhh he's got Steam VR running but he just put his headset on so we HAVE to open the Oculus home screen too. Oh damnit, what do we show him??"
So at times, I get the Steam Home Screen. But then at times it refuses to do that and I find myself in the peaceful setting of the Oculus Home Screen. Which brings me to the 2nd option to play the game:

2nd: Well...now that its forcing me to use the Oculus home screen I guess I'll just select Star Trek Bridge Crew from inside here. Why isn't this working? What the hell? *clicks game again and again*.
I have to remove my headset. Let my controllers dangle awkwardly from my wrists while I alt tab to Steam and select "Yes allow Oculus to play this game"

As a new owner I have just truly realized that **nothing is easy** with this thing. Everything takes a few extra steps or a few tweaks to get just right.

And I'll tell you what. If I have to keep looking at these WARNING LOW TRACKING QUALITY signs much longer I may be just over this thing and get rid of it. Its agonizing to me when things dont just work as they should...

End rant.

Might be a faulty unit. I had HDMI disconnect errors when I got mine and Oculus just told me it might be a problem on my end, wrong drivers, faulty HDMI/GPU etc.
Returned it and got a new one, issues were gone since about 1 year now.

Zalusithix

Hmm.. I really want Airtone but should just wait on a sale for it, same as Sairento VR.

Nothing wrong with waiting for a sale, but in the case of Airtone, I really believe the game is worth the regular $30 asking price for any fan of the genre. The game has 25 songs x 3 difficulty levels with lots of replay value for scores / achievements / lobby toys, full voice acting in two languages (and subtitles), well done art/assets, fun and tight gameplay, no bugs, etc. It's one of the few "complete" games for VR, and the devs should be rewarded for releasing something that polished with original content.

Sairento, on the other hand, is more of a tossup. Personally I find it worth the current $25, but it is an early access title with all the caveats that brings. For people that can live with bugs cropping up / performance issues / etc, it's a great game. The movement system combined with the variety of weapons and tons of variables from relics allow you to feel like the ultimate bad-ass with a personally tuned arsenal. For those that want a polished end product with lots of unique content... not so much.

Game worth at current prices aside, the sale potential on both of those titles is iffy. Airtone didn't go on sale during the summer sale, so there's no guarantee it will in the next mega sale. Meanwhile Sairento has only seen 20% price reductions so far. Assuming the same percentage reduction at the next sale, it'll only end up a buck below the current price.

Disabling USB power management for each sensor individually in device manager got rid of the poor tracking quality warning for me.

Have you applied the registry tweaks for the Inateck card included with Oculus tray tools?

Soi-Fong

Nothing wrong with waiting for a sale, but in the case of Airtone, I really believe the game is worth the regular $30 asking price for any fan of the genre. The game has 25 songs x 3 difficulty levels with lots of replay value for scores / achievements / lobby toys, full voice acting in two languages (and subtitles), well done art/assets, fun and tight gameplay, no bugs, etc. It's one of the few "complete" games for VR, and the devs should be rewarded for releasing something that polished with original content.

Sairento, on the other hand, is more of a tossup. Personally I find it worth the current $25, but it is an early access title with all the caveats that brings. For people that can live with bugs cropping up / performance issues / etc, it's a great game. The movement system combined with the variety of weapons and tons of variables from relics allow you to feel like the ultimate bad-ass with a personally tuned arsenal. For those that want a polished end product with lots of unique content... not so much.

Game worth at current prices aside, the sale potential on both of those titles is iffy. Airtone didn't go on sale during the summer sale, so there's no guarantee it will in the next mega sale. Meanwhile Sairento has only seen 20% price reductions so far. Assuming the same percentage reduction at the next sale, it'll only end up a buck below the current price.

Hmm.. Yeah its a toss up with Sairento VR, but with Airtone I remember it coming out less than a month before the Summer Sale, so I'm not surprised it didn't go on sale.

Out of the two though, I'd rather go for Airtone. Early Access games have just burnt me out too much. On the other hand, since it's on Steam, I'm buying Sairento on and Airtone on Oculus Home, I can just refund Sairento, if it's not up my ally.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am sure you will enjoy sairento. Its fun though i havent try the latest updates

As for airtone, i will buy it tomorrow with the refund money from robinson the journey

Gnub

Ungrounded looks like it will require full VR legs to handle that movement.

Little Earth looks interesting. I didn't see much as far as gameplay though.

The Stone looks cool. I'll check that out.

Soldiers of Freedom is something I'll keep my eye on. Looks good.

Maze Run looks creepy. If it doesn't have jump scares, i'll get it.

"Poor Tracking Quality"

* Audio Problems

End rant.

Did you install the drivers that I linked to (in the oculus sale thread)? They should fix your problem (in theory), however, with the official drivers (the ones I linked to), you need to shut down your PC instead of using sleep mode. I can't get the card to wake up properly if I use sleep mode, and I get errors.

All this positive feedback is great on a game I would otherwise likely ignore. Probably going to pick up Airone soon, looks better than Audioshield and Thumper.

All this positive feedback is great on a game I would otherwise likely ignore. Probably going to pick up Airone soon, looks better than Audioshield and Thumper.

Airtone is awesome, as long as you turn off the horrible English voiceover and switch it back to Japanese with subtitles.

Plasma

Banned
Played a bit of Killing Floor tonight and I got up to the first boss and died. Now when I load back into that map the boss doesn't spawn. Anyway before I got to that game breaking bug I can't say I was having that much fun with it, the weapons handle alright but I don't like how the enemies just materialise out of thin air right on top of you. It's a big strange they've gone that route as well because from playing KF1 and KF2 I always remember that there were specific spawn points for the zeds so they would either spawn off the playable area of the map and make there way to you or pop out of objects in the environments like sewer grates.

Zalusithix

Airtone is awesome, as long as you turn off the horrible English voiceover and switch it back to Japanese with subtitles.

Yeah, Yuri Yamaoka's performance is far more lively than the relatively flat delivery of the English VA. Still, nice that the option is there for those that can't stand having to read subtitles.

Seemingly, my Soundboxing error-no save bug odyssey seems to be over. Not sure what changed (besides my i-net connection upgrade to VDSL 50).

I've tried 3 songs and created one new challenge, everything saved accordingly. I hope it stays like that and the error doesn't come back.

-

On another note, The Torus Syndicate is still crashing in level 3, after OS and SSD change, reinstall of everything etc. I guess this game is just buggy in that stage or there is some very specific hard/software configuration it doesn't like on my end. It's a shame really as it is a charming little game but I can't recommend something that crashes everytime.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So last weekend I was having some issues with Lone Echo and Revive.
With the usual settings "allow asynchronous and interleaved reprojection" enabled I would get terrible rotational stutter.

After googling a lot of posts said to enable always on reprojection, which I did. And it did stop the stuttering problem, and even though under advanced settings it said 0% reprojected frames, I was still getting this queasy feeling. And it just didn't feel right.

Anyhow I haven't gotten back to the game until today and I am happy to report that just turning off all the reprojection settings altogether has given me a great experience. Its perfectly smooth, rarely getting dropped frame warnings and best of all I am not getting sick.

Also Lone Echo is really good. Get it if you haven't, it works more or less perfectly with Revive after some fiddling.

This game Minor Deity looks promising. It's a god game with some RTS elements. Think it's going to go through crowdfunding but it works outside of VR so it should have a decent chance.

TRAILER

WellinformedWaryFallowdeer.gif

EquatorialDetailedBufflehead.gif

SpanishSorrowfulIndigowingedparrot.gif

SimplexPL

Anyhow I haven't gotten back to the game until today and I am happy to report that just turning off all the reprojection settings altogether has given me a great experience. Its perfectly smooth, rarely getting dropped frame warnings and best of all I am not getting sick.
Could you provide what exactly are you using? What version of Revive, what version of drivers, and SteamVR beta or non-beta? I ask, because Lone Echo stutters for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Could you provide what exactly are you using? What version of Revive, what version of drivers, and SteamVR beta or non-beta? I ask, because Lone Echo stutters for me.

I'm using SteamVR beta with the fancy apartment.
Using last weeks build of Revive 1.1.13

I turned off all forms of AA inside Lone Echos menu as well. And I think set the shadows to medium.

I'm running a 1080 with a 3770k and 16gig memory.

Lakuza

Completed Mages Tale earlier today. It took me just a little over 10 hours to finish so here's my mini review on it:

I enjoyed the exploration and puzzle solving the most. It really rewarded you for checking every piece of the environment with secret passages and rooms (reminded me of hogwarts in harry potter lol), the developers really put a lot of love and effort into this aspect of the game. For example, theres a place early on in the game with a large mural high on a wall with a bordered wall underneath it (like a doorway bricked up). The mural shows a mansion with fire on the sides and a lightning bolt striking in front of it. Hitting the mural with both fire and lightning spells will light up those elements on the mural and open the wall to reveal a secret room. This mural was something I missed on my initial visit (you can revisit old dungeons so nothing is missable). The rewards range from collectibles, spell modifiers and EXP.

The story is pretty basic and nothing special, its also move along by an annoying blue goblin companion who had zero character development throughout the entire game so he was always a douchebag towards the player unfortunately (was hoping he'd grow to respect the player as the player grew stronger). The story won't be the driving force of the game. You're basically chasing an evil sorceror who has kidnapped your master. Along the way you have to collect special artifacts and rescue some important mages who will then allow you to reach the final encounter. The game sets itself up for a sequel though which I really hope happens.

The combat had a lot of flaws but was still enjoyable. There are only four elements (fire, ice, lightning and air) which can be tweaked using modifiers you find throughout the adventure (most are hidden in secret areas which serves as a great reward for exploration). These modifiers range from blinding, turning to sheep, draining life, adding a new elemental effect (like adding burn damage to fire), homing, colour changes, strength increase, triple fire, cooldown reduction etc. Leveling up, lets you upgrade your hp or spell cooldown as well as unlocking extra abilities for your shield (combining 2 magic shields to create a larger one or reflecting enemy magic). You're limited to 2 modifications when crafitng spell and you can only equip 4 spells so unfortunately I wasn't motivated to experiment too much as the +strength and +effect modifiers were the most important.

My biggest complaint with the combat is that the enemies did not have much variety in their behaviour where it was just shoot from afar or rush you like a bull. The tactics required for defeating them was rarely challenged too, enemies with shields are weak to air spells and then later on enemy sorcerers require specific elements to take damage. Also enemy variety was a little on the weak side at the start (you're fighting goblins for what feels like 5-6 hours), only in the later part of the game do you start to see new enemies,but the lack of variety in behaviour makes them feel like a skin change.

There are a few encounters in the game where the difficulty spiked insanely (one that comes to mind is an ambush by human enemies that keep spawning and rushing you which took me a lot of retries and camping in a corner to get past).

Overall, I really enjoyed the game and recommend it to anyone looking for a good adventure game in VR. It balances puzzle solving, exploration and combat well so that the 10 hours don't become a grind. New games will outshine this game when it comes to utilising motion controls for spellcasting but its exploration and secrets will be hard to beat for a while. Also its one of the few vr single player games that actually respects the consumers money with a meaty campaign.

Pros:
  • Amazing Exploration
  • Puzzles were fun to solve (never fustrating)
  • First time going up against a giant was cool in VR
  • environments look great
  • Tons of secrets to find
  • That feeling when something looks off in an environment, you fire a specific spell to see what happens and it unlocks a new passage
  • Great movement options for all
  • Game length (took me 10 hours and I was still missing some secrets and modifiers)

Cons:
  • Annoying companion
  • Story is forgettable
  • Repetitive battle theme (theres only one battle theme)
  • Story Character animations were really stiff (like the companion, other characters you find in the story etc. They felt very robotic in their animation with little to no facial expressions, they wouldn't even look at you when talking unless you were standing in one specific spot)
  • Battles can become spam fests
  • Enemies could mostly be killed with any spell, doesnt encourage experimentation

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I also finally tried playing super hot with these rubber bands securing my hands to the Vive wands.

It was mostly ok. Throwing stuff with the game set to use the grip to hold controls was pretty damn awesome. But the band was getting in the way of holding the trigger properly. Throwing stuff and letting go was enough fun that I want to test it further.

kinggroin

Banned
So last weekend I was having some issues with Lone Echo and Revive.
With the usual settings "allow asynchronous and interleaved reprojection" enabled I would get terrible rotational stutter.

After googling a lot of posts said to enable always on reprojection, which I did. And it did stop the stuttering problem, and even though under advanced settings it said 0% reprojected frames, I was still getting this queasy feeling. And it just didn't feel right.

Also Lone Echo is really good. Get it if you haven't, it works more or less perfectly with Revive after some fiddling.

Remember I asked you if you felt queasy or dizzy? That's why.

Turning always on reprojection sacrifices tracking accuracy in a 3d space for performance and draw rate since it stops waiting for the CPU to update with coordinates.

If you use always on,

1) Make sure it's a seated experience game.
2) The other options of reprojection are OFF

This game Minor Deity looks promising. It's a god game with some RTS elements. Think it's going to go through crowdfunding but it works outside of VR so it should have a decent chance.

TRAILER

Looks pretty buggy right now but damn that has potential. Beautiful music. A game like this could definitely become my favorite VR title real quick if executed correctly.

Ionic

Anyone know if there is a Vive app that will allow me to view the eclipse tonight?

The eclipse actually happens during the daytime when the sun is out. I don't know of any eclipse specific app, but there should be some space simulator out there where you can line one up manually.

Edit: Somebody on Reddit asked the same question and was recommended Google Earth VR which can simulate the eclipse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...experience-total-solar-eclipse-right-now/amp/

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like HTC has reduced the price for the Vive to 599 (slashed 200)

https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-now-599-gets-permanent-200-price-cut/
Hey! Nice!
Remember I asked you if you felt queasy or dizzy? That's why.

Turning always on reprojection sacrifices tracking accuracy in a 3d space for performance and draw rate since it stops waiting for the CPU to update with coordinates.

If you use always on,

1) Make sure it's a seated experience game.
2) The other options of reprojection are OFF

Well, it was interesting nonetheless. I do remember that. Sorry I didn't respond!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, here is a photo of the big rubber bands I mentioned.

Pardon the messy desk. Work in progress.
Anyway, aside from them getting in the way of pressing some buttons it was really really cool throwing objects in super hot and truly letting go. It makes the grip-button control scheme that much more immersive.

Superhot is the only game they work in since it only uses the trigger and the grip buttons. In Echo Arena it gets in the way of the touch pad too much. You can sort of do it, and it is really cool. Maybe I could attach them with zip ties around the saucers on top of the controller or something.

IDK. was a fun experiment. I recommend trying it out if you can find the rubber bands. I got them for like two dollars at a local art store.

tengiants

On the previous page I was pretty irritated with my new Oculus purchase because I was getting very nauseous in iRacing and Assetto Corsa.

While I'm still getting nauseous and VR sick, I'm definitely able to spend a little more time in each session. As long as I can avoid going into reverse I do okay. When I first got it, I was enamored with VR and driving around while standing up in a convertible, and with my head out of the window, and all sorts of dumb stuff. I got really sick and it kind of soured my experience. Not smart in real life and not smart in VR either apparently.

While I was disappointed with my purchase at first, I can tell I just need to find my VR legs. I picked up Superhot and it doesn't make me sick. I'm enjoying it a lot. Lost Echo is next in my sights but worry about getting sick pulling myself around the space station or whatever it is your in.

Plasma

Banned
On the previous page I was pretty irritated with my new Oculus purchase because I was getting very nauseous in iRacing and Assetto Corsa.

While I'm still getting nauseous and VR sick, I'm definitely able to spend a little more time in each session. As long as I can avoid going into reverse I do okay. When I first got it, I was enamored with VR and driving around while standing up in a convertible, and with my head out of the window, and all sorts of dumb stuff. I got really sick and it kind of soured my experience. Not smart in real life and not smart in VR either apparently.

While I was disappointed with my purchase at first, I can tell I just need to find my VR legs. I picked up Superhot and it doesn't make me sick. I'm enjoying it a lot. Lost Echo is next in my sights but worry about getting sick pulling myself around the space station or whatever it is your in.
Lone Echo shouldn't make you sick the movement feels pretty natural and the movement speed is pretty slow compared to Echo Arena.

Banzai

It's a fucking shame that Dead and Buried's servers are so empty. The game is some of the most consistent fun I've had with VR when I do manage to get a game going.

Anything comparable I should try instead?

Lord Phol

So I bought Sairento VR based on all the positive feedback. Seems pretty neat thought it definitely shows that it's in early access. I've only tried it with 2 sensors so far, but will hopefully be getting my 3rd today. I noticed there are a lot of settings for the controls, any tips on how the game should be setup and played?

Also going back and forth on Dead Effect 2 VR. It has some things going for it like real locomotion, semi-long campaign and a loot system, but it also looks kind of basic gameplaywise and somewhat rough around the edges.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/08/fallout-4-vr-will-not-include-dlc/

Full priced and doesn't include the DLC, seriously Bethesda?

I can understand the lack of DLC, considering how big a game Fallout 4 is to begin with + VR's small userbase overall. A lot of effort must have gone into—

This port seems so half baked, no hand models, you can't grip weapons with both hands to steady it and to interact with objects you press a button rather than actually interacting it with motion controls.

...god damnit.

Top Bottom