• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Lakuza

My VRcover finally arived today, looking forward to trying the rift on with it later :)

Even though its on sale I probably won't bother with Form based off the play times of the steam reviews. It seems to take around 70 minutes roughly which is too short for what I want from vr games now.

Received my vrcover a few days ago. Quality product IMO. However, the issue I was worried about and can confirm after having used it is that there is a gap now where the headset meets my nose that wasn't there with the original Oculus foam cover. The original foam was getting messed up so I needed to replace it anyways, but now I really only want to play in a completely dark space where before I could play in a lit room and wouldn't notice any outside light. Knowing the gap is there is probably drawing my eyes to look down, so maybe I'll get past that at some point, but really wish they would have cared for this.

Lakuza

Received my vrcover a few days ago. Quality product IMO. However, the issue I was worried about and can confirm after having used it is that there is a gap now where the headset meets my nose that wasn't there with the original Oculus foam cover. The original foam was getting messed up so I needed to replace it anyways, but now I really only want to play in a completely dark space where before I could play in a lit room and wouldn't notice any outside light. Knowing the gap is there is probably drawing my eyes to look down, so maybe I'll get past that at some point, but really wish they would have cared for this.

I had that gap with the default rift foam and I actually prefer having a gap. It means I can see my surroundings and check which way im facing by tiling my head up and looking down my nose through the gap. Makes it easier to talk to anyone in the same room or use the pc quickly etc.Also for some games where theres no rendered body, being able to see my own body if I look down my nose helped improve immersion.

I know it bothers a lot of people, but for me its the exact opposite XD

Kudo

Sadness..
Oculus Rift arrived and it was supposed to be a day of great happiness, but alas the HDMI cable is faulty, it doesn't plug in all the way and I don't want to force it too hard as people have broken their HDMI ports with it.
I guess I'll have to try adapters later and if nothing gets it working, return it.

Played FORM, it's 40% off at the moment.

For around 10 bucks I got one hour of abstract geometric/color/music puzzles. Graphics are very good, the "story" doesn't really develop into something noteworthy. When the game showed me the place where you start out, I was impressed and intruiged what else I will see... is there an entire scientific base here I caould explore...nope.
Not that this would be a dealbreaker of course, it reminds of a more fleshed out Wake Up.

Overall a pleasant and interesting experience.

Lakuza

Killing floor is getting a horde mode added soon called "holdout" (this is part of their first content update so it'll be interesting what else they have planned).
Pcgamer have an article on it:
http://www.pcgamer.com/killing-floor-incursion-is-getting-a-horde-mode-called-holdout/

Completing a level in the campaign will unlock that location in the holdout mode (it'll be single location picked from that level) and you'll be able to co-op with another player surviving waves of zombies.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Time to get down with Chroma Lab.

Awwwwwwwwwwww yeah, just gonna dance with the particle blob. Romancing the blob.
Played FORM, it's 40% off at the moment.

For around 10 bucks I got one hour of abstract geometric/color/music puzzles. Graphics are very good, the "story" doesn't really develop into something noteworthy. When the game showed me the place where you start out, I was impressed and intruiged what else I will see... is there an entire scientific base here I caould explore...nope.
Not that this would be a dealbreaker of course, it reminds of a more fleshed out Wake Up.

Overall a pleasant and interesting experience.

+1 Form has some truly great moments. Very great game. One of my favorites. It really plays with... the form of VR. Lots weird perception tricks and neat perspectives. I remember having an issue with one of the puzzles of other than that it absolutely is one of the more enjoyable experiences I've had with my Vive.

So apparently Observer has some hidden VR support via config tweaking. Just headset stuff of course ala Alien: Isolation. Pretty cool because it's been getting really good reviews and it looks like something that would be awesome in VR. I thought it would be a long shot to get VR support, but this gets my hopes up a bit.

On a related note, I thought this indie dungeon crawler called One More Dungeon would be cool in VR as well. I tweeted them about it, and it turns out they're actually considering it after they get the console ports out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
http://store.steampowered.com/app/697320/Kung_Fu_AllStar_VR/
Kung Fu All-Star VR coming to Steam. its a nunchuck based action title
NxP0JK.gif

Kudo

Real men don't read instructions alert:
Spent whole day messing around trying to get image to my Oculus Rift, then I saw the small sensor next to LED inside the helmet and thought hmm, maybe there's some sort of mechanism that it only displays on the monitors when it's set on head and duh, instantly when I put it on my head there's image.
I'm sure reading the instructions would have saved me lot of trouble, the initial setup program should mention this though.

Josman

So... in exactly one month I'll be getting either the Oculus Rift or a Vive, and for the love of god I don't know which one. I'd like more a Vive because playing Fallout and Skyrim in VR is a dream come true, Doom is a plus, and because I've heard generally better things about the tracking and object detection so you don't smash something IRL, not to mention I've got plenty of space for room scale.

On the other hand, a Rift is $200 cheaper and I've heard plenty good things about the ergonomics of the Touch controllers and integrated audio, but I don't want to risk not playing those Bethesda games and I've heard the Oculus store isn't half as good as Steam.

I don't really know if paying $200 more fore a Vive is worth it, any thoughts?

120v

So... in exactly one month I'll be getting either the Oculus Rift or a Vive, and for the love of god I don't know which one. I'd like more a Vive because playing Fallout and Skyrim in VR is a dream come true, Doom is a plus, and because I've heard generally better things about the tracking and object detection so you don't smash something IRL, not to mention I've got plenty of space for room scale.

On the other hand, a Rift is $200 cheaper and I've heard plenty good things about the ergonomics of the Touch controllers and integrated audio, but I don't want to risk not playing those Bethesda games and I've heard the Oculus store isn't half as good as Steam.

fallout, doom and skyrim should be fully playable on rift via steam vr

low-G

With Oculus you get unfettered access to both Oculus & Steam stores. I buy most games on Steam anyways (only the Oculus exclusives there).

If your room scale is very large (>2 x 2m, you're probably going to notice a difference with Vive tracking, from what I've heard). If it's smallish you won't notice a difference in the tracking (provided you get the 3rd Oculus sensor).

I never heard about Vive object detection though, what's that?

Lakuza

Purchased Audio Sheild today and loved what I played of it. It seems they've added new difficulty modes since its launch (theres "harder" and "elite") which seem to match the song pretty well. I really wasnt expecting it to be so tough and physically demanding though lol, played a few songs and I was getting overwhelmed with having to lift the correct hand to block to the matching colour orb, when its coming at you fast its hard to keep up. Really enjoyed it though and it was a good way to test out the new cover from vr covers (so much better than the default interface, can deal with sweat easier now).

Rift and vive can play all vr games on pc. Any game thats exclusive for rift (lone echo, robo recall, luckeys tale, killing floor incursion, mages tale and so on) can be played on the vive. Also any game thats on steam can be played with the rift. There are no true exclusives for either headset in that sense.

Tracking is pretty much the same between the two. Vive has perfect tracking out of the box, with the rift you have to purchase a 3rd sensor and then its perfect too.

Rift controllers are definately better than vive's, but vive is bringing out the knuckle controller soon which looks to be even better than the oculus touch controllers.

Either way, you're good with whatever headset you choose so it comes down to preference and pricing.

Zalusithix

I never heard about Vive object detection though, what's that?
There is no such thing. You can map out arbitrary area boundaries, but it's expected that area within those bounds will be empty. There's the front facing camera that you can bring up at any time to see what's around you, but it does not detect objects entering the predefined area. At most you can configure it so the camera automatically superimposes the "tron" vision of the real world in VR when you get close to the chaperone bounds, and frankly that's rather distracting and useless in most situations.

Durante

If your room scale is very large (>2 x 2m, you're probably going to notice a difference with Vive tracking, from what I've heard). If it's smallish you won't notice a difference in the tracking (provided you get the 3rd Oculus sensor).
One point about the tracking difference is that it also depends on your room shape.

If your planned VR area goes up right to the walls of a room, then you really can't get tracking as good across all of that area on even 3 Oculus sensors as you get on 2 lighthouses.

Also, you have to keep in mind for larger play areas that you have to route all 3 Oculus sensors back to your PC, while you only need to connect the 2 lighthouses to power.

low-G

One point about the tracking difference is that it also depends on your room shape.

If your planned VR area goes up right to the walls of a room, then you really can't get tracking as good across all of that area on even 3 Oculus sensors as you get on 2 lighthouses.

Also, you have to keep in mind for larger play areas that you have to route all 3 Oculus sensors back to your PC, while you only need to connect the 2 lighthouses to power.

Yeah if the case is that you want to go up to the walls, you will really want to ceiling mount those Oculus sensors. If you move Touch within ~6 inches of a sensor it will lose tracking at that sensor.

Lakuza

Am I crazy or is SteamVR tracking a lot worse for the Rift than using native Oculus apps?

I haven't noticed any issues, was playing steamVR games today and it seemed fine to me (Audioshield and AnimVR). Which games seem off to you?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I feel like the Oculus can't perform as well when you're crawling on the floor etc. which oddly enough, I find myself doing frequently.

low-G

Am I crazy or is SteamVR tracking a lot worse for the Rift than using native Oculus apps?

Only time I noticed any difference was when I was using the new Oculus background when it was in beta and the SteamVR beta + Home I got some occasional hitching. All those layers deep in environments caused me some issue at the time, and I haven't gone back to the new Oculus environment nor SteamVR Home since (about a month now).

Even on a High end X99-A board dealing with USB, much less the cabling has been... A process. Low tracking errors or unsupported USB port errors are pretty frequent. But oh well. Once a sufficiently advanced version of the Vive HMD is released I'll be making the jump. As it stands, Rift beats the Vive for me on most fronts outside tracking (which granted, is a huge deal). I really like the controller and the headset, although trash with a larger pair of glasses �� (How did these systems not release with diopter adjustments?) Is more comfortable. Also has headphones default.

There's just not a comparison in value. If money isn't an issue though, I'd definitely recommend going with the Vive, especially with the Knuckle controllers, fingers crossed, coming out next year. Just expect even with the current Vive pricing to eventually spend I'd say $800-900+ on the system for the equivalent feature set.

I'd say Oculus purchase/post purchase requirements for the best experiencr are

Rift: $400
Additional Camera: $60
HDMI and USB extension cables, Wall Mounts for sensors: $60 and a headache.
Total: $520

Vive: $600
Audio Strap: $100 is it absolutely necessary? No but it's really nice to have and for point of comparison.
Knuckle Controllers: $100-200. Unkown at this time I believe.
Total $800-900

I think there's a case for the USB alone to go with the Vive, as if you need an extra USB controller on top of the headache it also brings the cost up a bit.

However I feel like if you're looking into VR right now my recommendation would be wait for a new Vive iteration, you'll also have more meat titles out by that point. Or go with the Oculus as a stop gap like I did.

Apparently Oculus and Crytek are researching different methods of locomotion.
They have a playlist on youtube talking about different ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLL2xVXGs1SP7Sz2xy7qPAlMjXjrzTuflh&v=6FQ4c1y3g8g

Blog/text version:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/developer-perspectives-vr-locomotionmovement-and-combinations/

I've only watched the chicken accelration one so far, thought i'd post it here before checking the rest out.

Lol at the nodding acceleration video.

solaaire

Neo Member
Accounting and Miyubi are great experiences, both had me grinning ear-to-ear. Plus they're free. Anyone looking to laugh should definitely check em out

Zalusithix

I'd say Oculus purchase/post purchase requirements for the best experiencr are

Rift: $400
Additional Camera: $60
HDMI and USB extension cables, Wall Mounts for sensors: $60 and a headache.
Total: $520

Vive: $600
Audio Strap: $100 is it absolutely necessary? No but it's really nice to have and for point of comparison.
Knuckle Controllers: $100-200. Unkown at this time I believe.
Total $800-900

I think there's a case for the USB alone to go with the Vive, as if you need an extra USB controller on top of the headache it also brings the cost up a bit.

The original question was about buying in one month. I'm pretty sure the Oculus sale will be over at that point. Thus the Rift will cost $500 for the base package. Adding Knuckles controllers to the Vive cost seems a bit off as well. Sure they'll be "needed" for the best experience in games that'll take full advantage of them, but they don't exist yet, and have a good chance at being 2018 accessories. They're basically second gen controllers with a larger capability gap between them and the Touch than the Touch and the Vive wands. Thus you're looking at roughly $600 (Rift + 3rd sensor + extra USB related stuff) vs $700 (Vive + DAS) for comparable configurations for larger play spaces.

The original question was about buying in one month. I'm pretty sure the Oculus sale will be over at that point. Thus the Rift will cost $500 for the base package. Adding Knuckles controllers to the Vive cost seems a bit off as well. Sure they'll be "needed" for the best experience in games that take'll take advantage of them, but they don't exist yet, and have a good chance at being 2018 accessories. They're basically second gen controllers with a larger capability gap between them and the Touch than the Touch and the Vive wands. Thus you're looking at roughly $600 (Rift + 3rd sensor + extra USB related stuff) vs $700 (Vive + DAS) for comparable configurations for larger play spaces.

No I know, I was simply making the case for the Vive that because of those extra features that are missing, but will almost certainly be present in the revision, to wait if you want the Vive or if you absolutely want to dive in now, to go with the cheaper option and sell it later. As far as the Oculus, we'll see if the price actually does go back up by $100 now with the Vive being on sale as well.

And I think it is fair to some degree from a comparison purpose we include the audio strap and controllers, as the Vive controllers are definitely a step behind the Touch controllers. I would say the same of the tracking, but for all intents and purposes once set up, the Oculus tracking provides effectively the same experience.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I haven't noticed any issues, was playing steamVR games today and it seemed fine to me (Audioshield and AnimVR). Which games seem off to you?

Only time I noticed any difference was when I was using the new Oculus background when it was in beta and the SteamVR beta + Home I got some occasional hitching. All those layers deep in environments caused me some issue at the time, and I haven't gone back to the new Oculus environment nor SteamVR Home since (about a month now).

Apologies for the super late response.

It's kind of a system wide thing - I get hitching when turning my head at specific angles and lots of brief moments of occulusion. No issues with native Oculus games.

Is there a way to run Steam games with just SteamVR and not even boot up Oculus Home? I dunno if that would even help, but it's worth trying if possible.

Lakuza

It's kind of a system wide thing - I get hitching when turning my head at specific angles and lots of brief moments of occulusion. No issues with native Oculus games.

Is there a way to run Steam games with just SteamVR and not even boot up Oculus Home? I dunno if that would even help, but it's worth trying if possible.

Oh ok, I don't have any issues myself but I have seen some people complain about this. I wonder if its pc spec related. These are my specs for comparison:
- i7-6700k 4ghz
- GeForce GTX 1080
- 16gb ram

Oculus tray tool allows you to disable oculus home service at a click of a button:
https://forums.oculus.com/community...pling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully

low-G

Do you have a 3 sensor setup? Do you have objects sitting around that are in front of the sensors? Just curious what occlusion you're having, the headset has 'lights' all over it (including the strap in the back), AFAIK (... that reminds me I really must break out my ancient infrared camera some time...)

Fracas

#fuckonami
Do you have a 3 sensor setup? Do you have objects sitting around that are in front of the sensors? Just curious what occlusion you're having, the headset has 'lights' all over it (including the strap in the back), AFAIK (... that reminds me I really must break out my ancient infrared camera some time...)

Two sensor setup, but the issues I have running SteamVR games don't show up when I'm running pure Oculus stuff. I figure it may have to do with just using 2 sensors, though it's still weird to me.

And I'm using an OC 7700k and a 1080 so surely it's not a spec thing

low-G

Two sensor setup, but the issues I have running SteamVR games don't show up when I'm running pure Oculus stuff. I figure it may have to do with just using 2 sensors, though it's still weird to me.

And I'm using an OC 7700k and a 1080 so surely it's not a spec thing

I see, so it's actually how the faults in the tracking are handled then... Certainly way above my knowledge of the innards of how it's handled.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Did you try re-running the SteamVR setup?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just tried this upcoming title "Away" where you play as various animals...the beta demo i played was me flying as a vulture.
Not bad but need optimization. I can only run it at low setting despite that i have 1080 with 8gb ram.

Josman

fallout, doom and skyrim should be fully playable on rift via steam vr

With Oculus you get unfettered access to both Oculus & Steam stores. I buy most games on Steam anyways (only the Oculus exclusives there).

Either way, you're good with whatever headset you choose so it comes down to preference and pricing.

Thank you all, If I'll be able to play Skyrim and Fallout on Rift then I'll go for the Rift, based on those reasons above. BTW, is a TPCast-like device coming out for Rift? wireless is huge for me.

Thank you all, If I'll be able to play Skyrim and Fallout on Rift then I'll go for the Rift, based on those reasons above. BTW, is a TPCast-like device coming out for Rift? wireless is huge for me.

TPCast said they're working towards Oculus compatibility. DisplayLink I believe will be compatible with Vive and Rift.

Josman

TPCast said they're working towards Oculus compatibility. DisplayLink I believe will be compatible with Vive and Rift.

I see, that's great news, I just pulled the plug on a Rift, it arrives in 2 weeks but hey, $400 is too cheap for what I'm getting.

Edit: Another fast question, for those of you who have tried both headsets extensively, is there a significant difference in FOV?

Top Bottom