• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

Violater

If I were to buy this, I wouldn't see myself playing this nearly as much as I did Warhawk.
Small maps, slow pace, having to do a whole pile of chores before i can fly off, ehh I'll pass the more I think about it.

Current know and tracked issues in Private Beta 1.0

The below is a list of known, verified, and tracked bugs by Lightbox Interactive. I will keep a running list of bugs here, and their current status.

If you find new bugs please refer to the “How to: Report a bug” post here: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3907729

Issues with Voice Chat
Currently there are issues with voice chat working intermittently. We are actively investigating this and will fix as soon as we can.

No work-around.

XP/Stats resetting and/or not saving
Occasionally the XP level will revert and/or not save - the same issue is seen with player stats. We are actively investigating this and a fix will likely be staged with our next Beta patch.

No work-around.

Various collision issues with the environment
There are collision holes in various places on both maps. We are fully aware of quite a few of these, but it’s always good to have location specific information on them.

Please do not exploit these collision holes.

When you reclaim a part the counter will reset before it destroys.
This is a minor bug, but anytime you hold square to reclaim a building the counter will count down to zero and reset back again. The building still reclaims but it takes a bit longer than it should.

"Ghost players"
Occasionally you will see a "ghost player" running around who is either dead, or disconnected.

Various crashes and freezes - PLEASE CONTINUE TO REPORT THE CRASH TO SONY WHEN YOU RESTART YOUR PS3

There are various crashes and freezes happening, thanks to all the crash reports people have been sending in we have a lot of information that will help us fix these issues.
When it goes the the Beta Update page that's when you should be able to quit normally. DO NOT TURN OFF THE SYSTEM. I finally found a loophole so I wouldn't log out.

Making a NeoGAF server at noon tomorrow, so you GAFfers can play against each other.

The room will be called NeoGAF. Believe...
The password will be: believe
(Actually I dunno if you can make password-protected rooms yet...)

Anyway see you guys tomorrow!

Got my code and had a go with it last night. So far so good. The ground combat is so much better; aiming works well. Not too sure about the default flight controls, though. The hawks don't seem too useful in mech form, probably because they feel somewhat underpowered.

Building structures in order to gain access to vehicles is an interesting concept but it does slow down the overall pace, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It definitely feels different from Warhawk. Not sure if better or worse at this point.

Thrakier

Wow, what did they do with my Warhawk? :( So far I really dislike it. The style is horrible, especially the space map. :( The framerate is a MESS, it's so shitty it's not even funny. Game feels very unresponsive. And I don't think I like that RTS stuff. GFX are shitty (is it sub-HD??).

I'll give it another go though. But in it#s current state I wouldn't even think about buying it. And that's coming from a true Warhawk lover. :(

F-Pina

Tried it last night and liked it.
I am still getting used to the gameplay itself but overall very good fun and interesting tactical possibilities with the building options.

Am I the only with the complaint of not being able to see WTF is going on? When in a starhawk, I see endless industrial buildings and something amongst it is shooting at me. Can't shake missiles the way I used to.

While on the ground, weapons are hidden and blend in with the environments...

I chalk all this up to the team's effort to save on resources and making all build and battle pieces look similar so they can connect seamlessly. Dark grey material against a dark grey planet or black space on top of a dark grey structure really doesn't work well.

Give me cartoony colors, I don't care. Have giant lights that glow in the color of each team to signify what's what. Warhawk was so much easier on the eyes and you were able to tell what was going on.

BeeDog

Damn, was free today and wanted to try the beta, but I get a "Failed to connect" every time I try to matchmake. It's also annoying the unskippable menu loop occurs every time you get booted off.

The more I think about it after playing it, despite absolutely looking forward to it and what it has to offer, the more I wish we got a warhawk sequel instead.

Even the SP campaign I have a hard time imagining they'll inject it with personality into the neat concept they have setup. I kinda feel that each level will just be a tutorial for the MP. Or an open battlefield structure similar to the MP. Which is ok but... a bit disheartening.

I'll play more today and see if my mood changes. Hopefully people die when I shoot ay them this time.

GodofWine

I think once people figure out wtf they are doing, things will improve...then maybe people will stop bashing what appears to be a very creative, very 'warhawk-ish' shooter...that is in Pre-Beta....controls stand out as the highlight, feels just right. Weapons are fun (getting sick of realistic war shooters...A famas is not much different than a M240B really...these weapons are refreshing), graphics look good. Stop complaining about little maps, really GAF? you think the guys who made Warhawks maps / expansions are going to give you all little maps?? Cmon GAF...remember how the maps in WH would scale up and down...remember this is a closed beta, whats the chance they want to start with the huge maps??

My approach on beta feedback is to put the negative feedback whereever the dev asks for it to be put, and place the positive feedback on public places...call me crazy, I don't like to kill the hype for a game (that will only do mediocre sales wise, at best) 6-8 weeks before its public beta begins.

Regarding this game not being a reskinned Warhawk...good, Warhawk was great, and I can play it still. The mechs feel good, they aren't "warhawks", they are freakin robots that turn into jets, they should feel different, and they are plenty effective vs. ground targets if you fly straight....

(PRE BETA, RAGE!!!!! How dare it crash/lag/wonky VoIP! RAGE....)

Remember the learning curve for warhawk?? this is going to be like that, buckle up buttercup. (someone post the warhawk learning curve pic)

(I vote for the OT thread to be called "Starhawk (OT) - Buckle up, Buttercup!" )

My problem is the structures blending in with the environments too much. Looking from a distance, I can't tell what is what. In warhawk I can.

Is there indication of what is what on the battlefield? Does something tell me that a launchpad or supply bunker is nearby? When in the middle of nowhere, will I be able to know where the nearest anything is or do I have to wonder in search for something or do I have to waste points to build my own supplies?

Just not feeling it.

JambiBum

I think once people figure out wtf they are doing, things will improve...then maybe people will stop bashing what appears to be a very creative, very 'warhawk-ish' shooter...that is in Pre-Beta....controls stand out as the highlight, feels just right. Weapons are fun (getting sick of realistic war shooters...A famas is not much different than a M240B really...these weapons are refreshing), graphics look good. Stop complaining about little maps, really GAF? you think the guys who made Warhawks maps / expansions are going to give you all little maps?? Cmon GAF...remember how the maps in WH would scale up and down...remember this is a closed beta, whats the chance they want to start with the huge maps??

My approach on beta feedback is to put the negative feedback whereever the dev asks for it to be put, and place the positive feedback on public places...call me crazy, I don't like to kill the hype for a game (that will only do mediocre sales wise, at best) 6-8 weeks before its public beta begins.

Regarding this game not being a reskinned Warhawk...good, Warhawk was great, and I can play it still. The mechs feel good, they aren't "warhawks", they are freakin robots that turn into jets, they should feel different, and they are plenty effective vs. ground targets if you fly straight....

(PRE BETA, RAGE!!!!! How dare it crash/lag/wonky VoIP! RAGE....)

Remember the learning curve for warhawk?? this is going to be like that, buckle up buttercup. (someone post the warhawk learning curve pic)

(I vote for the OT thread to be called "Starhawk (OT) - Buckle up, Buttercup!" )

WAT? So you want only the good feedback to be made to the public? That's probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard when it comes to defending a game. The only real issues I have with it so far are the fact that rounds seem to be way too short and the fact that it is difficult to see what is going on at times. Even though I like the game, what you said comes off as incredibly fanboyish.

GodofWine

WAT? So you want only the good feedback to be made to the public? That's probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard when it comes to defending a game. The only real issues I have with it so far are the fact that rounds seem to be way too short and the fact that it is difficult to see what is going on at times. Even though I like the game, what you said comes off as incredibly fanboyish.

OK, not exactly what I meant, but bitching about pre-beta's in certain manners are not productive...yea, you can say what ya think, obviously.

If people comment on it like it was a beta, and a proper one (not BF3 like), and didn't treat it like a finished product, the world would be better. (this is universal in all beta threads though)

People saying - Will not buy, game sucks, based on 20 minutes of gameplay of a complex 3PS is just dumb...GAF is smarter than this, we know this...at least until the beta drops, then people lose their shit. If you had to make a buy or bust decision on Warhawk after a day in its beta, most would have passed on it.

Carry on GAF...just handle this as a beta, not as a game you paid $60 for (you've paid nothing so far)

Thrakier

This game is in a horrible state right now. How anyone could like that is beyond me. The controls are SO fucking laggy, it's not even funny. Everything feels like underwater. The GFX are downright bad, tech and astehtic wise. The whole build thing is a mess. I'm so disapointed right now but I just don't see how this can improve so much till the final release so that I'll like it...damn. :(

But the worst shit is the framerate. I don't know how it's running exactly but it feelis like it's in it's low 20s most of the time. Lightbox, PLEASE tell us that you KNOW that a FLUID Framerate with AT LEAST 30FPS is very important for an online shooter. Please tell us that you'll improve things so long tiill you get those 30FPS and that you won't throw that lowfps crap engine on the market.

Hey, how about posting your complaints also on THE STARHAWK BETA SITE AND TELL THEM THAT THEMSELVES??

http://community.us.playstation.com/community/games/shooter/starhawk/starhawk_beta?view=discussions
OK, not exactly what I meant, but bitching about pre-beta's in certain manners are not productive...yea, you can say what ya think, obviously.

If people comment on it like it was a beta, and a proper one (not BF3 like), and didn't treat it like a finished product, the world would be better. (this is universal in all beta threads though)

People saying - Will not buy, game sucks, based on 20 minutes of gameplay of a complex 3PS is just dumb...GAF is smarter than this, we know this...at least until the beta drops, then people lose their shit. If you had to make a buy or bust decision on Warhawk after a day in its beta, most would have passed on it.
*sees post above mine*

Nope-gif-team-fortress-25673931-243-150.gif

Thrakier

Hey, how about posting your complaints also on THE STARHAWK BETA SITE AND TELL THEM THAT THEMSELVES??

Why should I? If they are halfway competent regarding public relation they are monitoring this board. If not - not my problem. Devs shouldn't expect users to change their community according to their likes. That's now how it works.

Making the NeoGAF game server now. Hope to see a few Gaffers.
Why should I? If they are halfway competent regarding public relation they are monitoring this board. If not - not my problem. Devs shouldn't expect users to change their community according to their likes. That's now how it works.
... you don't get the point of a private beta, do you? What are you, an old man who yells at a cloud?

MrCow

yeah i got a key via email today.

now i haven't played much .. around half an hour because after that i got log in problems but my first impression is good.
i know this is an early beta so i can forgive it's problems and from the changelog it seems like there are actively testing and balancing

i look forward to play it more and then i will decide if i buy the full verion or not

dorkimoe

If I were to buy this, I wouldn't see myself playing this nearly as much as I did Warhawk.
Small maps, slow pace, having to do a whole pile of chores before i can fly off, ehh I'll pass the more I think about it.

This doesn't sound promising :(

Slowing the pace down seems like a terrible idea

monocromo

Why should they ? If you are halfway competent regarding beta testing you are going to their beta website and tell them what you dont like / doesnt work. Devs give you a chance to try the game (free / in advance) only to get as much useful feedback as they can, to improve their product. Yo can't create a multiplayer game isolated from the world and pretend that its going to be perfect. That's not how it works.

Lightbox is not going to please your exotic desires about what their game should be but if your critique is valid ( and not a forum rant ) they will probably hear.

Wtf is with this spoiled attitude ? "if they want my opinion they better come here to read" ... really ?

dorkimoe

Why should they ? If you are halfway competent regarding beta testing you are going to their beta website and tell them what you dont like / doesnt work. Devs give you a chance to try the game (free / in advance) only to get as much useful feedback as they can, to improve their product. Yo can't create a multiplayer game isolated from the world and pretend that its going to be perfect. That's not how it works.

Lightbox is not going to please your exotic desires about what their game should be but if your critique is valid ( and not a forum rant ) they will probably hear.

Wtf is with this spoiled attitude ? "if they want my opinion they better come here to read" ... really ?

Dylan has already said they read impressions on all the big forums. (unless he means subforums but i know for a fact devs are here)

Not to mention this thread is small, and they can get all the impressions in one thread instead of over a billion threads called "THIS SUCKS"

edit: http://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/141617158223433728

Thrakier

Making the NeoGAF game server now. Hope to see a few Gaffers.

... you don't get the point of a private beta, do you? What are you, an old man who yells at a cloud?

If they sent out tenthousands of keys they have to live with it that opinios pop up all over the social web. ;) I think they know that as well (you clearly don't). See Dylans twitter message.

Are you out of my mind? Lightbox ASKS me to give them my opinion on their unfinished product and I invest my time for it. So THEY can improve their product, get better metacritic ratings and in the end, earn more money. And if they want my opinion, YES, they search for it! There are tools for that, it's not that hard. And it seems like they are doing it, like every halfway comptent company is monitoring the web.

What. the. fuck. Really. How a consumer can be so coprorate friendly is beyond me. You aren't working for them, are you?

monocromo

Dylan has already said they read impressions on all the big forums. (unless he means subforums but i know for a fact devs are here)

Not to mention this thread is small, and they can get all the impressions in one thread instead of over a billion threads called "THIS SUCKS"

edit: http://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/141617158223433728

I'm not saying that they doesnt read feedback outside of their site.

My main problem is with the childish, spoiled and immature attitude from some rants (about a beta). "Hey, Im not going to your site to tell you what I think, instead come here and read how I literally trash talk you product in development and call it shit"

carlos

I plan to make a big post of suggestions on those beta boards after the next couple of patches, but many of you have already mentioned some of my main dislikes....

If they had made a warhawk 2, it should have had some major differences from the first, because I was getting burned out by the time of the 3rd DLC...I think they went a bit too overboard with the changes here, though.

Just a couple of things of the top of my head:
-I'm not seeingthe framerate issues many of you mention, don't know what's wrong with me :/

-Weapons need to be easier to see (both on the ground and in the sky; there have to be more weapon pickups around the maps, I believe a reason why teams are usually camping is that you have to spawn close to a bunker to get a decent weapon, since the default gun is pretty useless.

-there is some lag related issue (I suppose) when I'm trying to kill a person as a mech; not only do they withstand a lot of damage, but hitting them is a pain in the ass since the mech's gun has a spread like the dropship in warhawk, so it's accuracy sucks, and your own bullets make it hard to see what you're shooting at. Meanwhile, I still haven't been able to kill anyone with the swarm missles as a mech either. Usually when I'm the one being attacked by a mech, I die instantly.

-homing missles should do more damage to ground buildings

-There should be some buildings pre built at the start of each round, and perhaps a couple of unbreakable buildings to hide in when getting base raped.

-oh, and when spawning, whose brilliant idea was to make your home areas color green, and then your buildings are also green on that spawn map; I can't see where the bunkers and other buildings are built and this is on a 40 inch tv. (btw I'm a bit colorblind) gimme an outline of the buildings, at least :/

-perhaps make the camera turn a little faster , and give us the option of slighty different cameras (camera is a bit too zoomed in IMHO)

Thrakier

I'm not saying that they doesnt read feedback outside of their site.

My main problem is with the childish, spoiled and immature attitude from some rants (about a beta). "Hey, Im not going to your site to tell you what I think, instead come here and read how I literally trash talk you product in development and call it shit"

I'm not trash talking it. I'm saying what I think about the product. That's what they want me to do. To expect that they read one of the biggest gaming forums is common sense, not childish. If they don't, it's their problem and they lack in good PR work. That's my attitude in my own PR job as well. ;) I think you are being a bit naive here. But enough with that, it's OT. If you want to make it easier for Dylan than stay on topic from now on. ;)

Randomly got a code from sony last night. Only played the first one for like 1 hour. Couldn't play yesterday because servers were down or something but I can't wait to try it out today. Hopefully I can get into the game and get on the gaf server.

monocromo

What. the. fuck. Really. How a consumer can be so coprorate friendly is beyond me. You aren't working for them, are you?

No, Im not corporate friendly nor do I work for Lightbox. And I do not proudly call myself a "consumer".

But maybe you can say that Im dev friendly and I understand the situations that they have to deal with.

I'm not trash talking it. I'm saying what I think about the product. That's what they want me to do. To expect that they read one of the biggest gaming forums is common sense, not childish. If they don't, it's their problem and they lack in good PR work. That's my attitude in my own PR job as well. ;) I think you are being a bit naive here. But enough with that, it's OT. If you want to make it easier for Dylan than stay on topic from now on. ;)

I dont agree that you arent trash talking (calling some aspects of the game literally shit) but yes, I agree we are a little OT. If you think its necessary we can go on via PM.

And Im not going to be OT until I get a code :(

Dammit, I still haven't gotten a code. I don't feel entitled to one, but reading how people who played Warhawk for one hour are receiving codes and yet I haven't perturbs me greatly. At least a lot of OG Warhawk clan members have gotten theirs, so I can feel good about that.

Is this the way to treat the best Warhawk player on GAF? :p

At this point I think they should either start over, or do a classic Warhawk mode.

I agree. I was in the first rollout of private beta invites. I played for two days and haven't touched it since. I understand the idea is to evolve the IP, but Warhawk was way more cohesive and fun.

dorkimoe

You guys are scaring me...this is definitely a try before i Buy now..it was a day 1..but all these negatives..

Now if only i could get an invite...

DireStr8s

This game is in a horrible state right now. How anyone could like that is beyond me. The controls are SO fucking laggy, it's not even funny. Everything feels like underwater. The GFX are downright bad, tech and astehtic wise. The whole build thing is a mess. I'm so disapointed right now but I just don't see how this can improve so much till the final release so that I'll like it...damn. :(

But the worst shit is the framerate. I don't know how it's running exactly but it feelis like it's in it's low 20s most of the time. Lightbox, PLEASE tell us that you KNOW that a FLUID Framerate with AT LEAST 30FPS is very important for an online shooter. Please tell us that you'll improve things so long tiill you get those 30FPS and that you won't throw that lowfps crap engine on the market.

Had to do a double take; thought I accidentally clicked the Resistance 3 OT.

BeeDog

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I feel that the re-capture time for the flag is too long. I got stuck in a neverending CTF game where one guy was hoarding one flag in his base, while the other team had one guy hoarding their flag. No progress could be made because there wasn't enough time re-capping your flag, since they just drop-pod on top of you while you wait. Several games end up in stalemates, which is boring.

Other than that, can't say too much about the game itself. It feels like a game that will rape you hard, or in other words, it feels like a game that won't give you the feeling of progression (that is, it's hard to feel like you're getting any better). The sound design is spectacular, and I dig the graphics EXCEPT the terrible-ish framerate. Fantastic motion blur though.

rdrr gnr

"It's just a beta" needs to become an established logical fallacy. I have no idea whether or not it applies to this particular case (as I have not played it, yet) but saying it's just a beta is just as stupid as having a huge meltdown over minor issues.

"It's just a beta" needs to become an established logical fallacy. I have no idea whether or not it applies to this particular case (as I have not played it, yet) but saying it's just a beta is just as stupid as having a huge meltdown over minor issues.
That's a game-by-game thing though. Early Warhawk was NOTHING like the Warhawk we see now. Plus you add a very friendly dev who seems to listen to the community...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You can get a feel for the major changes (maps, build and battle) with the beta and you can decide if you like it or not. Weapon spotting and damage and other little small things should all be correctly tweaked come final.

Playing the Killzone 3 beta, I knew the final would be shit, and it was.

Refreshed the room to give new players in. God I now see what people meant about the Knife. One button press + IT CAN TAKE OUT A TURRET IN ONE SWING? LOL.

(btw, already posted about it on the Starhawk beta forums)

carlos

Refreshed the room to give new players in. God I now see what people meant about the Knife. One button press + IT CAN TAKE OUT A TURRET IN ONE SWING? LOL.

(btw, already posted about it on the Starhawk beta forums)

I don't really see that as an issue, since if there is more than one turret in the area, it is pretty difficult to get to/kill more than one.

I thought you were leaving Frank, thats why I got out; I'll join you guys again some other time

One more issue to add, and its a big one for me, I've played for over 10 hours, and I still don't have an air to air kill! I swear, I launch my locked on missles, and they go no where near the other hawk. Once, I shot a homing missle at the guy, and the missle somehow killed me (that did remind me of WH, lol).

dodging missles feels random, knifing/melee seems random :(

playing with random people is a pain, I max out the mana meter and no one is building stuff of defending the flag

Top Bottom