• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo back, or almost back at having a monopoly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

Nintendo has never had a rival in the dedicated handheld space.
I disagree.
PSP was the only non-Nintendo dedicated handheld gaming device to reach mass-market.

The rest, yeah, not much of a treat.

They've never really not owned the dedicated handheld market.

I guess psp sold a bunch of systems but ds still outsold it almost 2:1.
While Nintendo DS sold twice what PSP did, I don't think it's fair to downplay what PSP achieved only because it was against the fastest selling console in history.

Fbh

Looking at it from the very specific angle of a "gaming dedicated handheld console " then yeah.

But it's hard to see it as a monopoly when they have tablets and phones to compete with.

It's not like ISP's in some areas where it's like "if you want internet you HAVE to go to this ISP because it's literally the only option you have".
If you want to play videogames on the go the Switch is hardly your only choice.

Celine

Damn the 3DS wishes it was the PSP
If 3DS hit Nintendo forecast for the fiscal year it will be at around 72 million units in March 2018 (remember they are launching a new 2DS sku this FY).
In the end the difference between 3DS and GBA or PSP is going to be less than 10 million units.

They had a monopoly on portable gaming devices for many years prior to the PSP, but the market is simply far too diversified with far too many successful competitors to reasonably call the Switch a monopoly. Sure, it's the only current gen dedicated handheld gaming device to achieve mass market penetration, but consumers still have plenty of other options for gaming on the go.

xealo

The only thing they have a monopoly on in 2017 is boneheaded PR moves. This is the furthest they've been from market dominance in recent memory. Apple ate their lunch on mobile.

Nintendo has moved near 70 million units of the 3ds first launched well after smartphones became the norm. Handhelds and mobiles are not strictly the same market segment, and the games on them aren't designed in the same manner either for the most part. The vita flopped, the 3ds didn't, and Sony shot themselves in the foot with the Vita in a number of ways.

Ban Puncher

271f53383761a20c6ec7ea74d538ba19.jpg

E X P O S E D

Celine

Compare that to Nintendo DS sales though. That 80 million made absolutely no dent into DS sales.
Just because DS sold twice doesn't mean PSP wasn't a notably successful handheld.
PSP sold less than DS (fastest selling console in history), GB (with an abnormally long lifespan due to lack of competition and Pokémon reigniting the platform) and slightly less than GBA.
3DS is going to end up near PSP LTD when all is said and done.

The rest of the best selling non-Nintendo handhelds never reached anything comparable to PSP.
PS Vita and Game Gear barely sold more than 10 million units worldwide meanwhile WonderSwan, while being a moderate success in Japan, never left Asia and shipped 3.32 million units.

oliverandm

Not by a long shot.

I mean, we can disregard phones all we want, but just because Nintendo is the only ones to market their handhelds as 'dedicated' gaming hardware (or perceived as such by consumers), it still doesn't take away from the fact that their sales numbers has shrinked immensely since the generation of the DS (if we look at percentages - actual sales are still impressive) and their products impact effected greatly by competition from other handheld devices, such as phones and tablets.

Yes, within the 'dedicated' hardware market they have monopoly. But in terms of the handheld gaming market as a whole, i wouldn't disregard cells and tablets, ever. Developers, publishers and the casual crowd doesn't, and it is here to stay.

Orbis

While Nintendo DS sold twice what PSP did, I don't think it's fair to downplay what PSP achieved only because it was against the fastest selling console in history.
It's odd that people downplay the PSP's sales as being half of those of the DS and 'not a rival', when something as revered as the N64 was outsold 3:1 by the PS1. N64 was hugely significant to its generation and was considered a serious rival to the PS1.

Why would switch suddenly stop selling?

I mean, the Switch has only been out for a few months - and it sold 5m so far. All game consoles sell decently well at the start, cause there's a group of hardcore players that'll buy whatever is being released by major platform holders, no questions asked. Let's see where the Switch is a year from now, then we can talk about whether or not it's a success. I just think it's incredibly immature to talk about a 'monopoly' when the thing sold 5m units and the other behemoth sold 60m and is continuing to sell...

I mean, the Switch has only been out for a few months - and it sold 5m so far. All game consoles sell decently well at the start, cause there's a group of hardcore players that'll buy whatever is being released by major platform holders, no questions asked. Let's see where the Switch is a year from now, then we can talk about whether or not it's a success. I just think it's incredibly immature to talk about a 'monopoly' when the thing sold 5m units and the other behemoth sold 60m and is continuing to sell...

I disagree with the OP.

But did you even read it? Why are you bringing up the PS4?

TheJoRu

I just think it's incredibly immature to talk about a 'monopoly' when the thing sold 5m units and the other behemoth sold 60m and is continuing to sell...

Not sure why you're talking about PS4 when it's not even part of the premise (which I disagree with) of this thread.

Not sure why you're talking about PS4 when it's not even part of the premise (which I disagree with) of this thread.

Oh silly me, I didn't read the 'handheld' part :D

Still though, let's wait a bit to see what happens. It's weird how everyone loves the Switch and sings its praises in terms of success when really, we're just at the start of it all. I'm sure Nintendo will have a great holiday season with Zelda and Mario (and I'm sure there's going to be bundles), but let's give it some time before we really talk about its market potential.

NSESN

People mobile hurt handheld sales but it did nothing to slow big handheld games. Like I said Pokemon and Animal crossing are as big as they were in the DS era.

Zambayoshi

The PSP came the closest and it still only sold 80 million units vs the DS's 150 million.

I suppose then that the Xbox One is pretty close to being a rival to the PS4?

:p

But seriously, you don't have a monopoly as long as there is at least one alternative product in the market, regardless of sales.

Games are still being released for Vita and Vita is still being produced and sold by Sony. Ergo, Nintendo has no monopoly on the handheld market, no matter what spin you want to put on its relative dominance.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mobile is the better and more popular handheld platform. But if we ignore that, then sure!

Graciaus

People might not consider mobile true gaming but most people walk around everyday with a handheld because of it. You can't say the same for dedicated handhelds. It's only a matter of time before mobile becomes even more popular.

NSESN

People might not consider mobile true gaming but most people walk around everyday with a handheld because of it. You can't say the same for dedicated handhelds. It's only a matter of time before mobile becomes even more popular.
Different markets. People that buy handhelds today are different from people that game on mobile. A game like pokemon would have to be very different to work on mobile.

xealo

Different in what way?

Getting the audience to buy to play is orders of magnitude harder on the app store than it is for retail handheld releases, especially if they were to be priced at $40 when new.

This results in games with different design goals in many cases since the revenue stream comes from a different angle.

Keinning

Europe was a tiny market at the time. Worldwide NES sales were ~10x worldwide Master System sales, not accounting for Brazil (which has a really weird Master System dominated game market to this very day).

There's nothing weird about SMS selling more in brazil, that's just what happens when a company actually cares about the country unlike everyone else (specially nintendo which is unrivaled in ignoring us completely).

Sega left the SMS in brazil in the competent hands of TecToy and TecToy did an amazing job to make gaming accessible for us. Thankfully, it was reflected in sales, and the NES which didnt even got an oficial release till way later got trashed in the market as it deserved.

Monopoly is not only in term of sales, but also in term of who writes the rules if a dev wants to publish a game, who "controls" the market.
The old Nintendo monopoly was a problem because they asked a lot from third party devs to just have the possibility to publish on their platform, while mainaining that "Seal of Quality", and devs didn't have much choice than to comply.

But now, how much power does Nintendo (or any other company) have on people that want to publish games on their platform, and what alternatives do devs have?
I think they still can refuse/delay games (at least coming from indie devs complaining that Nintendo didn't give them a green light).

Because any game can be ported to PC, I don't think any company can have the same "monopoly" in the sense of having real powers to put pressure on devs nowadays.

test_account

XP-39C²
You were talking about ARM vs. x86 and third-party support, which was a derailing of the original topic of handheld gaming monopoly and not relevant to what I was quoting.
Nah, you're mxing me up with the other guy, i didnt say anything about that. I'm just saying to read the whole discussion and you'll see why the PS4 was brought up.

SMD

The ps3 and 360 are much closer to the WW sales of the Wii vs the Nes and SMS..

So basically, the Master System was really close and competitive with about 16% of the total worldwide sales of the NES and Famicom.

The Digital Antiquarian had a great series of articles on Tetris and, indirectly, the battle between Atari and Nintendo regarding the latter's monopoly. Here's a taste:

Europe was a tiny market at the time. Worldwide NES sales were ~10x worldwide Master System sales, not accounting for Brazil (which has a really weird Master System dominated game market to this very day).

These are all very weird replies to a point where Nintendo didn't have a monopoly over Europe. I'm fairly certain the Master System did better in the UK and whatever happened in the American market didn't really apply to Europe for a long time.

emag

These are all very weird replies to a point where Nintendo didn't have a monopoly over Europe. I'm fairly certain the Master System did better in the UK and whatever happened in the American market didn't really apply to Europe for a long time.

To be fair, bringing up Europe's tiny console market as a counter-point against a worldwide Nintendo monopoly in the NES era is a weird reply as well.

Wut.

You're not seriously saying smartphones are ubiquitous because of mobile games... right? Right?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Is it still a monopoly if no one else finds that market worthwhile to compete in anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom