• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump 'complained to Belgian PM of difficulty setting up golf resorts in EU'

chadskin

Donald Trump offered an insight into his approach to political life during his 30 hours in Belgium while munching “lots of” Belgian chocolates, it has been reported.

Le Soir, a Belgian daily newspaper, reported that the US president acclaimed the chocolates, which were a gift from the Belgian government, during a meeting with the country’s prime minister, Charles Michel.

“These are the best,” he said, before explaining that his ambivalent attitude towards the EU was a consequence of his experiences trying to set up businesses, notably golf resorts, on the continent.

“He made a lot of references to his personal journey. He explained, for example, the functioning of Europe on the basis of his difficulties in doing business in Ireland,” one source told the Francophone paper.

A second source told the newspaper: “Every time we talk about a country, he remembered the things he had done. Scotland? He said he had opened a club. Ireland? He said it took him two and a half years to get a licence and that did not give him a very good image of the European Union. One feels that he wants a system where everything can be realised very quickly and without formalities.”

Sources further told the newspaper that while Trump was not afraid to interrupt Michel and others, he came with a “positive approach”.

The paper reports: “Donald Trump had no idea of the economic weight of Belgium and even less of what the country represents for trade with the United States. Then he was introduced to the thing in a very visual way. But the president only gave vague attention to it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...plained-belgian-pm-difficulty-golf-resorts-eu

Truly one of the most pressing issues for everyday Americans.

Daedardus

No wonder it's hard to set up golf resorts in a hell hole, although he has also said that Belgium was a beautiful city, so I don't know really whether it's nice there or not.

Zolo

All other world leaders should know Trump doesn't know anything about what he's talking about. Just butter him up and try to trick him into whatever you want him to do.

fixedpoint

His Presidency and campaign have been, and I'm sure will continue to be, nothing but a means to enrich himself and his family.

Moosichu

“Every time we talk about a country, he remembered the things he had done. Scotland? He said he had opened a club. Ireland? He said it took him two and a half years to get a licence and that did not give him a very good image of the European Union."

Scotland is in the EU Trump, you dingbat.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So his entire stance on the EU is based on how it affects his ability to open a business. Not surprised yet still completely horrified that this fuckboy exists and is president. A part of me wishes I could adjust and stop being horrified, another part of me knows it's important to not start seeing it as the new normal. Today and every day it's fuck donald trump.

Siegcram

The paper reports: “Donald Trump had no idea of the economic weight of Belgium and even less of what the country represents for trade with the United States. Then he was introduced to the thing in a very visual way. But the president only gave vague attention to it.”
A truly shocking development.

ruxtpin

Banned
How do Americans deal with the almost daily embarrassments these 100+ days into office?

Honestly I don't know. I live in PA (close to Philadelphia) and my county voted for H, but I know 30 minutes down the road I'd be in Trump country. Pre-election I'd hear people talk about voting for him, 100 days later though and I haven't come across anyone willing to speak-up and defend his bullshit. Like I said though, I'm at the edges of a more progressive area.

Brannon

How do Americans deal with the almost daily embarrassments these 100+ days into office?

Well..
CFt5ikN.jpg

RPGCrazied

Its all he thinks about is how to enrich his family and business. Its part of the reason he wanted to run, that and because he hates Obama.

MrBadger

Well his base chooses to just not talk about him and focus on crazy Hillary Clinton conspiracies instead, in a desperate attempt to convince themselves they went with the better option.

While I know people here will think its a joke as they know nothing about golf, but golf business is a huge thing. Greg Normans company has designed 100 golf courses as a example (USA company) http://gngcd.com/

LifEndz

"Look, maybe I'll ease up on you not paying your fair share of NATO if you help me build some of my resorts in your country."

#PimpThatWhiteHouse

While I know people here will think its a joke as they know nothing about golf, but golf business is a huge thing. Greg Normans company has designed 100 golf courses as a example (USA company) http://gngcd.com/

Sure but maybe it's not the thing you want the president of the USA, who's being investigated for his ties to a country that tried to manipulate the American elections, to focus on right now.

I pray(I'm not even religious) that he doesn't wake up one day or the whole traitor thing comes to full fruition and him and his ilk lose everything.

Only thing keeping me sane.

But then again, I work with trump supporters that are downright idiots and trump supporters that I thought were very intelligent, but very less much so.

Sure but maybe it's not the thing you want the president of the USA, who's being investigated for his ties to a country that tried to manipulate the American elections, to focus on right now.

Hes giving the example that it takes 2.5 years for a USA company to invest 10-15million on a golf course in the EU, why is that trying to manipulate?
Hes pointing out the EU is resticting USA companies

Hes giving the example that it takes 2.5 years for a USA company to invest 10-15million on a golf course in the EU, why is that trying to manipulate?

You misunderstood me. I'm saying there are other things he should be focusing on right now, especially considering he's in deep shit.

Getting a license for any large project is probably going to take multiple years. That is nothing strange or even limited to the EU.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Maybe he didn't meet the requirements, as it has happened before with his resorts.

Maybe there were disagreements about his plans and the potential impact in the vicinity, as it has happened before with his resorts.

Maybe these things take time.

Or maybe they just didn't like his mug.

Please provide proof of the EU (not even Ireland, but the EU) delaying Trump's golf club because he's running an American company.

numble

Where does he say it is faster for European companies to build? I'm pretty sure the golf course was done through an Irish company and not through a US company, anyway.

Top Bottom