• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platini arrested on suspicion of corruption over 2022 Qatar World Cup bid

Airbus Jr

Banned

Goal
michel-platini_fnscyepdb901q543t80ua5hv.jpg

The 63-year-old was questioned and detained by the Ministry of Justice amid an investigation into the awarding of the hosting rights of the tournament

Former UEFA president Michel Platini has been detained by police in France as part of an investigation into the decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

An investigation into the controversial decision to allow Qatar to host the tournament, despite the Western Asian country's human rights record and logistical problems posed by the nation's laws, has led to the former France star being detained by French prosecutors.

The French Ministry of Justice confirmed that anti-corruption officers took the 63-year-old in for questioning in the Parisian suburb of Nanterre on Tuesday morning.

A statement from the Ministry of Justice, given to Omnisport, read: "Platini was taken in for questioning on Tuesday by officers of the Anti-Corruption Office of the Judicial Police.

"Following questioning, he was detained."

French newspaper Le Monde reports that the arrest is in relation to a meeting Platini admitted attending with former France president Nicolas Sarkozy and then Qatari crown prince - now Emir - Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani just days before the vote to decide which country would host the 2022 edition of the tournament.

In 2015, Platini was banned from football-related activity for four years - reduced twice from an initial eight - due to a breach of FIFA's code of ethics after it was found he received a "disloyal payment" from the governing body's ex-president Sepp Blatter in 2011.

Platini has always maintained his innocence in the face of those charges, though, insisting in 2016 that he "committed not the slightest fault" and then saying last May that he was a victim of Blatter trying to pass the blame along.

"In the end, he tried to save his own skin," Platini told Le Monde in 2018. "Blatter does not defend anyone else, he never defended me. He's the most selfish person I have seen in my life.

"He always said I would be his last scalp. I know he was fixated on me, to the end, ever since the 'enough is enough' comment, even without considering the jealousy he had for the footballer I was."

Dunki

Qatar should have NEVER gotten this World Cup. NOTHING in this country is in norm with what the FIFA noramlly stands for at World Cups:

Freedom, Equality., Anti Racism LGBT+ and so on.

Also lets not forget how many people already died as slaves during all the construction work. Besides No one wants to watch Soccer in Decmber anyway

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Let's face it, FIFA is all about the bribes and that has long been the case. That it was so blatant in this case was simply a case of them considering themselves untouchable, above the law, and getting arrogant/sloppy. It's hard to love football sometimes, it's a far cry from what I loved as a kid.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hell yeah, arrest all these corrupt fools. Honestly noone should go or sponsor qatar 2022, but that wont happen. Should have been rescinded years ago. Fucking Qatar are they serious.

Dagobert_

Banned
Qatar should have NEVER gotten this World Cup. NOTHING in this country is in norm with what the FIFA noramlly stands for at World Cups:

Also lets not forget how many people already died as slaves during all the construction work. Besides No one wants to watch Soccer in Decmber anyway
Lol in that case then no country should ever be a host. Every country has something sjw's are going to throw a hissy fit about.

Ornlu

Banned
Lol in that case then no country should ever be a host. Every country has something sjw's are going to throw a hissy fit about.

I don't even care about individual issues with a country; the pay to play crap needs to go. I feel the exact same way about the Olympics. A big group of grifters hawking prestige and fake economic developments, looking for the biggest sucker.

Kadayi

Banned
Fifa is so corrupt its unreal.

Indeed. It's such a ridiculous racket, rife with nepotism etc. The problem is, the sheer challenge of replacing it is monumental and it's so broken within there's little chance it can ever be reformed because it's such a den of snakes.

Dagobert_

Banned
I don't even care about individual issues with a country; the pay to play crap needs to go. I feel the exact same way about the Olympics. A big group of grifters hawking prestige and fake economic developments, looking for the biggest sucker.
All I care about is the sports. Frail millenials care about the social justice crap rather than the sports.

Kenpachii

If you just say u stand for freedom/equality/antiracisme and lfgbt+ rights often enough people actually start to believe it?

In the reality Fifa is the most corrupt pile of shit organisation in the world.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Fucking finally.

Now, if they change the location, maybe I will attend.

AngelaLifman

Neo Member

Goal

The 63-year-old was questioned and detained by the Ministry of Justice amid an investigation into the awarding of the hosting rights of the tournament

Former UEFA president Michel Platini has been detained by police in France as part of an investigation into the decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

An investigation into the controversial decision to allow Qatar to host the tournament, despite the Western Asian country's human rights record and logistical problems posed by the nation's laws, has led to the former France star being detained by French prosecutors.

The French Ministry of Justice confirmed that anti-corruption officers took the 63-year-old in for questioning in the Parisian suburb of Nanterre on Tuesday morning.

A statement from the Ministry of Justice, given to Omnisport, read: "Platini was taken in for questioning on Tuesday by officers of the Anti-Corruption Office of the Judicial Police.

French newspaper Le Monde reports that the arrest is in relation to a meeting Platini admitted attending with former France president Nicolas Sarkozy and then Qatari crown prince - now Emir - Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani just days before the vote to decide which country would host the 2022 edition of the tournament.

In 2015, Platini was banned from football-related activity for four years - reduced twice from an initial eight - due to a breach of FIFA's code of ethics after it was found he received a "disloyal payment" from the governing body's ex-president Sepp Blatter in 2011.

Platini has always maintained his innocence in the face of those charges, though, insisting in 2016 that he "committed not the slightest fault" and then saying last May that he was a victim of Blatter trying to pass the blame along. Corruption is not unique to football, I recommend to try this site to learn more about this global problem. I use. this resource for writing an essay in college. when topics are too complicated for me.

"In the end, he tried to save his own skin," Platini told Le Monde in 2018. "Blatter does not defend anyone else, he never defended me. He's the most selfish person I have seen in my life.

"He always said I would be his last scalp. I know he was fixated on me, to the end, ever since the 'enough is enough' comment, even without considering the jealousy he had for the footballer I was."
I never liked Platini and the way FIFA operates. This structure is definitely not about equality and equal access to football. I dream that someday this organization will be completely reformed!

AngelaLifman

Neo Member

Goal

French newspaper Le Monde reports that the arrest is in relation to a meeting Learn more about corruption at https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/corruption/ in the student essay.Platini admitted attending with former France president Nicolas Sarkozy and then Qatari crown prince - now Emir - Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani just days before the vote to decide which country would host the 2022 edition of the tournament.

Platini has always maintained his innocence in the face of those charges, though, insisting in 2016 that he "committed not the slightest fault" and then saying last May that he was a victim of Blatter trying to pass the blame along.

have you heard that a book is being written about it now??? a guy who was an assistant lawyer quit his job and decided to make his own blog about rafts and corruption schemes. And now he is writing an autobiography, which will reveal all the details of the process.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Indeed. It's such a ridiculous racket, rife with nepotism etc. The problem is, the sheer challenge of replacing it is monumental and it's so broken within there's little chance it can ever be reformed because it's such a den of snakes.
Aren't there dozens, if not hundreds of completely acceptable stadiums in Europe that they can use?

Top Bottom