• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup Preparation Is Costing Qatar $500 Million a Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Per Week

Qatar is spending almost $500m (£400m) a week on major infrastructure projects as it prepares for the 2022 Fifa World Cup, its finance minister has said.

Ali al-Emadi expected spending to continue at that level for three to four years as new stadiums, motorways, rail links and hospitals are built.

More than $200bn (£160bn) will be spent in total by the gas-rich emirate.

But Mr Emadi denied that the plans would make the 2022 tournament the most expensive World Cup yet.

The 2014 World Cup in Brazil is reported to have cost $11bn (£8.8bn) to host, while Russia increased government spending on the 2018 World Cup by $321m to $10.7bn.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38905510

Kolx

Does the country have no infrastructure at all? Qatar is a small country how would you even be able to spend this amount of money?

so dumb, so many countries already have stadiums built and infrastructure built, USA should have gotten it instead

stupid oil money

Ogodei

Figured their abused Indian/Filipino migrant workers would "work" for less than that.

I'm all for diversity of venues in global sporting events, but this is just disgusting.

Malreyn

I don't understand why any country would want to host the world cup or Olympics if it costs more to build infrastructure (which will never be used again) than the revenue they'll make from it

Will they put whatever theyre building to use after the events? Like roads, buildings, etc. Because otherwise its fucking stupid.

jelly

They have more money than sense and morals. Fuck them. Hope it's the biggest sporting event failure in history and nobody turns up.

I don't understand why any country would want to host the world cup or Olympics if it costs more to build infrastructure (which will never be used again) than the revenue they'll make from it

well, if you already have stadiums, hosting the World Cup is no big deal.

Like 2018, Russia used oil money to win the bid. It could have been England (who have newer and more stadiums already built), it could have been Spain+Portugal joint (who modern stadiums already builty)
but lol, Russia go it.

same for 2022. USA was going to get it but Qatar greased everyone with money.
But lol, Qatar has no stadiums

And yet almost all of the infrastructure is being built by slaves.

So most of this is being pocketed by corrupt politicians and corporate interests.

Ugh.

so dumb, so many countries already have stadiums built and infrastructure built, USA should have gotten it instead

stupid oil money

I doubt we'll be getting any major international events coming our way in the next four years.

Really sucks because I wanted the Olympics in LA, but Trump has basically cost us that. Fuck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
500 million A WEEK? Jesus Tap Dancing Christ that is such a ludicrous amount of money.

jtb

Banned
Absolutely disgusting. If the only semi-corrupt heavyweights like the FA and FFF had any sense of dignity, they'd refuse to compete in it.

The USMNT certainly shouldn't.

Meanwhile the USA has like 20 perfectly capable stadiums just waiting to be used. Stupid fucking FIFA.

Don't mistake this for stupidity. This is deliberate corruption and human exploitation.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think they added an extra 0. Make the number sound normal and they are spending 9 billion more than Russia and Brazil did.

jtb

Banned
I'm calling BS on these numbers. Qatar's entire GDP is like $160B per year. No one is spending 15 months of their national economic activity on a soccer tournament. Its impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Qatar

They only have a population of 2 million, and a huge portion of that is made up of migrant workers who are residing in Qatar for the sole purpose of preparing for the games. These giant infrastructure projects are their non-energy economy.

The numbers are obscene, but that isn't really sufficient to reject them on face, given the context of the situation.

ShyMel

And then once the World Cup is over, those stadiums built by thousands of workers who have had their rights taken from them, effectively making them slaves, will never be used again. And there have already been worker deaths and unfortunately, more will continue to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom